So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Odd. You would think that if it was on this "death spiral" as you claim the Republican majority would do something about. But here we are without any Republican plan to replace this horrible bill. How do you explain that?
By blaming Obama?

• Haha
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The Democrats have shown a willingness to 'fix' Obamacare with their partners across the aisle. But you do not fix your car by having it smashed at the junkyard and then replace it with a new car. Repeal and Replace is a nonstarter, particularly since the Republicans have no replacement plan that will get support even from their own party. Republicans would get a lot more support from the Democrats if they went for Tweak and Improve.

And as for Repeal and don't replace... please oh please don't throw me into that briar patch.

• Haha
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Actually, Democrats can flip "ownership" pretty quickly. If they were to introduce a bill that proposes to "fix" the ACA, which will be shot down in the Republican-run House. The Dems can then say that they did everything they could to fix it, but Republicans wanted nothing to do with it. Republicans would own it whatever happens after that.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Ummm...slight correction. The Republicans also "own" it.....you may not have noticed, but they preferred to keep it in place with their non-action the other day!

That is on Paul Ryan, who needs to step down. He has been around long enough that he should have known better than to bring up a half-baked piece of something bill that didn't do enough. He just had to play RINO again and try to force the conservatives to go along. They did the right thing and told him to get lost.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
At this point, he kept working and negotiating until he got it done. He didn't just give up after 60 days.

This isn't over. It's back to the negotiating, but there are plenty of things on the board that can be done first. Paul Ryan should have known better to bring up this bill before getting all the Republicans together. He may have made the President look bad, but it's all on him.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
This makes me laugh so much...
For 8 years, the Republicans just acted as if the Democrats and their President didn't exist. They sat on their hands and simply refused to pass anything proposed to them.
Priceless...!

Really? Go back to the record and show me vote totals for house and Senate, 2013-2016.
Remember for at least 2 years, the Republicans were locked out as the Dems had a veto-proof majority.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Actually, Democrats can flip "ownership" pretty quickly. If they were to introduce a bill that proposes to "fix" the ACA, which will be shot down in the Republican-run House. The Dems can then say that they did everything they could to fix it, but Republicans wanted nothing to do with it. Republicans would own it whatever happens after that.

Only if they can get a bill with bi-partisan support, and that means more than a few RINOs like McCain.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Obamacare shows no signs of imploding. The extreme hikes in prices were from states not taking medicaid expansion and pretty much shafting the poor. Now 2 more state have signed on and will likely see their premiums drop dramatically.

Obamacare isn't the end solution but a decent speedbump for rising costs. We need to adopt a universal system though if we want to be considered a true first world nation.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This isn't over.
I thought Donald said it was and that he was moving on to other things now that he flubbed that up.

It's back to the negotiating...
Is the Greatest Negotiator of All Times planning on including the Democrats in these negotiations?

...but there are plenty of things on the board that can be done first. Paul Ryan should have known better to bring up this bill before getting all the Republicans together. He may have made the President look bad, but it's all on him.
Ryan? Where was the president on this? Did he have no leadership in this at all?

• Agree
Reactions: Allandavid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,955.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
<staff edit>Obamacare is going to implode

I see this claim (and its converse, that Obamacare is exploding) repeated as Gospel, but I don't really see evidence to support the claim.

Certainly, it doesn't appear to be a perfect piece of legislation, and there are things that could be improved (insurers pulling out of exchanges, high deductibles), but from an outsider's perspective, there doesn't seem to be any risk of a catastrophic collapse - at least not of the sort that couldn't be prevented with a few timely adjustments.

NPR just published an interesting article on it: FACT CHECK: Trump Says Obamacare Is 'Exploding.' It's Not

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Only if they can get a bill with bi-partisan support, and that means more than a few RINOs like McCain.

No. That's the idea. Now that the Republicans have failed to do anything, having the Democrats offer another fix, an offer the Republicans have to refuse, makes the burn that much worse.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Odd. You would think that if it was on this "death spiral" as you claim the Republican majority would do something about. But here we are without any Republican plan to replace this horrible bill. How do you explain that?

I will try.

Blah, Blah Blah, Blah OBAMA! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Fake News! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Democrats! Blah,Blah Blah, Blah Buy Ivana’s stuff! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Obama! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Obamacare is finished! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah YUGE! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah The Best Ever! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Everybody’s Gonna be Covered! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Deep State! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Wiretap! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Treason! Blah,Blah Blah, Blah Buy Ivanka’s stuff! Buy Ivanka’s stuff! Buy Ivanka’s stuff! I am the Greatest!

Upvote 0

MrSpikey

Dec 1, 2015
UK
✟34,367.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
From newsbites 20 years ago there was a lot about NHS Foundation Hospitals, set up with trusts which would be able to trade more easily, rather than be restricted by their NHS status. This is a cause with which Mr Blair seemed strongly identified, although his Labour members were not so enthusiastic. In the eyes of his Labour members, Mr Blair (because of President Bush's Iraq war and the casuistry around WMD) seemed to have discredited his own attempts to make the Labour Party more market oriented, despite his best efforts.

Over here, in contrast to Mr Blair, Prime Minister Chrétien just said, Non merci to sending troops to Iraq.
You are certainly along the right lines with the things he actually did. But he wasn't very forthcoming in terms of expounding that the purpose of these changes was to make the NHS "responsive to the needs of the market", which is rather the point - an out-and-out admission of that would have ended his tenure much earlier than it did.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I will try.

Blah, Blah Blah, Blah OBAMA! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Fake News! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Democrats! Blah,Blah Blah, Blah Buy Ivana’s stuff! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Obama! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Obamacare is finished! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah YUGE! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah The Best Ever! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Everybody’s Gonna be Covered! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Deep State! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Wiretap! Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Treason! Blah,Blah Blah, Blah Buy Ivanka’s stuff! Buy Ivanka’s stuff! Buy Ivanka’s stuff! I am the Greatest!
Too coherent, please inebriate and try again.

• Haha
Reactions: Allandavid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul Ryan admonished the president not to work with Democrats on healthcare. And it's the Democrats who are partisan?

Paul Ryan: I don't want to work with Democrats on health care
CNN.com said:
House Speaker Paul Ryan says he has no interest in working with Democrats on getting health care legislation passed, disputing a suggestion by the White House to reach across the aisle and bypass conservative House Republicans.

"I'm trying to get this bill passed," Ryan said on CBS's "This Morning." "Nancy (Pelosi) and I see things very, very differently. I don't want government running health care."

Reuters said:
Ryan opposes Trump working with Democrats on healthcare

U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan, the top Republican in Congress, said he does not want President Donald Trump to work with Democrats on new legislation for revamping the country's health insurance system, commonly called Obamacare.

"I don't want that to happen," Ryan said, referring to Trump's offer to work with Democrats.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I see this claim (and its converse, that Obamacare is exploding) repeated as Gospel, but I don't really see evidence to support the claim.

True. It's more popular than it's ever been, and as those who had no insurance for a long time, finish up the care they were putting off, it's going to work better and better. This is why panicky republicans back when the ACA was being debated, argued that they had to beat it, because once it was passed and implemented, Americans would never want to end it.

And their predictions seem to have come true.

Upvote 0