Bob Riley is my governor
✟10,203.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
and if he had the votes there might be more to it. However, the following Democratic Senators are guaranteed to vote against this:

Byrd, Baucus, Nelson (FL), Nelson (NE), Dorgan, Webb, Warner, Conrad, Udall (NM), Reid, Udall (CO), Hagan, MacCaskill, Landrieu, Bayh, Tester, Casey, Lincoln, Pryor and maybe Begich.

In other words, there are not enough Democratic votes in the Senate to pass it, as I have just listed 20 Democratic Senators who will or are likely to vote against any repeal of DOMA and so far we know of only two Republicans that would vote to pass it, Snowe and Collins.

Also on that list is Harry Reid who is up for re-election in Nevada next year and who relies on Mormon support to get elected and who makes a point of how his political positions follow Mormon teachings (or are supposed to do such). Harry Reid is the Senate Majority Leader. Harry Reid is not willing to put his re-election on the line for this.

And as for Pelosi, it is well known politically that gay marriage is an issue that can swing labor districts into the GOP column. Pelosi won't risk it and it won't be brought up. Obama is just throwing a political bone to the gay community because, other than repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell which most of the top brass now want anyway, Obama won't be doing anything for gay people while he's president but he does still need their money.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The whole reason ppl wanted recognised is for insurance purposes,,,,and with the new UHC - what's the difference?
Really?
Why now are they after the marriage?

Marriage is a sacred state instituted BY God - for one man and one woman....so said Jesus.

Who here wants to usurp His Authority??

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Joachim

The flag is a protest for state flags
Jan 14, 2009
Bob Riley is my governor
✟10,203.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Krentis

Sep 22, 2009
✟783.00
Faith
Catholic
The whole reason ppl wanted recognised is for insurance purposes,,,,and with the new UHC - what's the difference?
Really?

Marriage is a sacred state instituted BY God - for one man and one woman....so said Jesus.

Sounds pretty serious - maybe we ought not let government hijack the term at all anymore?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rahm

Give 'em Heaven
Jan 10, 2008
Green Bay, Wisconsin
✟25,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As Christians we are called to be the light in a world constantly being overshadowed with sin and down right ignorance. We should all pray for President Obama to wake up from his dismissive attitudes towards what our Lord ordained from the begining.

Upvote 0

cowboysfan1970

Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2008
✟16,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was cautiously optimistic when Obama was elected but now I have real concerns about the next three and a half years with him sitting in the Oval Office. George W. Bush overall was terrible and couldn't even stand in the shadow of Ronald Reagan or even his father but I never thought that any president would have me missing him at least a little.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Dang Skippy.

Get government out of Marriage !

Don't let a bureaucrat get between you and your spouse.

(Unless you're into that sort of thing....)
:D got a chuckle...
Maybe he is into that... :p;)

Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Really?

We're getting UHC? I wish!

Seriously, we've likely lost even the public option, which was a far cry from UHC, so I don't see any UHC on the horizon. I'm wondering if we'll even get the little reforms that the Baucus bill has like pre-existing conditions, with the insurance companies flexing their muscles now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What else do you expect from the likes of Obama and his ilk? I knew he'd attack traditional marriage from the beginning. It's sickening and it's time we stood up for what is right!

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Really?

Gays want to get married for the same reasons that you want to get married. It's more than just tax-exempt spousal health insurance benefits.

Upvote 0

2Cosmic2Charlie

Gays want to get married for the same reasons that you want to get married. It's more than just tax-exempt spousal health insurance benefits.

How do you know she didn't get married for the tax-exemption and the health insurance ?

People get married for all kinds of reasons.

And no one cares and its no ones business

unless

(you're gay)

Then its everyones business.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

If all your friends wanted to jump off a bridge - would you follow?
Why or why not?
Answer this...and we can discuss.

How do you know she didn't get married for the tax-exemption and the health insurance ?

People get married for all kinds of reasons.

And no one cares and its no ones business

unless

(you're gay)

Then its everyones business.

See its things like that - that caused Soddom and Gamorrah trouble.
Not caring - apathy and all that.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
What else do you expect from the likes of Obama and his ilk? I knew he'd attack traditional marriage from the beginning. It's sickening and it's time we stood up for what is right!
It is not what he campaigned on.
But nobody really believed that anyways.

Upvote 0