Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure why you say this when about everybody knows that "Gehenna is considered a purgatory-like place where the wicked go to suffer until they have atoned for their sins. It is stated in most Jewish sources that the maximum amount of time a sinner can spend in Gehenna is one year."
Gehenna - Wikipedia
In the 1st century, relatives of a deceased person usually picked up his remaining bones after 11 months and put them in an "ossuary." They did this so as not to imply that their relative was a terrible sinner deserving of the maximum time in Gehenna.
Caiaphas ossuary - Wikipedia

Is this another logical trick :)? In 700 BC, the Jews spoke Hebrew, right. Did the Jews know about "Hell" from the Old Norse mythology in 700 BC? "The modern English word hell is derived from Old English hel, helle (first attested around 725 AD to refer to a nether world of the dead) reaching into the Anglo-Saxon pagan period.[1] The word has cognates in all branches of the Germanic languages, including Old Norse hel (which refers to both a location and goddess-like being in Norse mythology), Old Frisian helle, Old Saxon hellia, Old High German hella, and Gothic halja. All forms ultimately derive from the reconstructed Proto-Germanic feminine noun *xaljō or *haljō ('concealed place, the underworld')."

Hell - Wikipedia
Most Jews did not believe Gehenna was eternal. But they did believe some extremely evil people will have eternal punishment (not in Gehenna). I don't believe in universal salvation.
I accept this. I don't believe in annihilation.
If I missed any important points, plz let me know.
I do have a big problem with your reply. Had you actually read my post you would know that I said very clearly that there were different Jewish views on the fate of the wicked. That does not disprove anything I said.
I quoted from three Jewish sources, records of Jewish history prepared by Jewish scholars; the Jewish Encyclopedia, Encyclopedia Judaica and the Talmud. The Jewish Encyclopedia was compiled/reviewed by 50+ Jewish scholars.
And you claim Wiki, which is entered by anonymous people is more authoritative than these 3 sources.
Wikipedia has [edit] links on every page. Anyone can change, add, post anything they want to without review. I have done it a few times to prove that it can be done.
That a word in another languages many, many years ago sounds or looks like "hell" is not evidence that "hell" was derived from them. Etymology is not a reliable way of determining the meaning of a word. Example, when we say "truck" in English we think of a big boxy vehicle for hauling large, heavy loads. The original meaning of "truck" was vegetables.

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Christ's descent to the underworld, She'ol/Hades is basic Christian doctrine. The Apostles' Creed, in its original Latin, says descendit ad inferos, literally, "He descended into the lower regions", that is Hades, She'ol, the place of the dead.

This is part of the basic Christian teaching on the Harrowing of Hell.

St. John Chrysostom's arguably most famous sermon is his Paschal Homily (full text here), here is a portion from it,

"He has destroyed death by undergoing death.
He has despoiled hell by descending into hell.
He vexed it even as it tasted of His flesh.
Isaiah foretold this when he cried:
Hell was filled with bitterness when it met Thee face to face below;
filled with bitterness, for it was brought to nothing;
filled with bitterness, for it was mocked;
filled with bitterness, for it was overthrown;
filled with bitterness, for it was put in chains.
Hell received a body, and encountered God. It received earth, and confronted heaven.
O death, where is your sting?
O hell, where is your victory?
"

Here is the Icon of the Anastasis (Resurrection), in which Christ is presented in Hades, with the gates of hell broken under His feet, with the devil crushed underneath, even as the Lord lifts up Adam and Eve from their sarcophagi, on either side of Him are the holy saints, Abraham, David, Solomon, John the Baptist, etc.

anastasis_resurrection.jpg

Notice how Christ lifts both Adam and Eve by their wrists, for man is helpless but Christ lifts them by His own power, bringing life to all humanity. The bondage of death, sin, hell, and the devil has been utterly destroyed by the One who bore the cross, and in rising from the grave He lifts humanity up with Himself. To Adam and Eve and all their progeny, to all of us.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

David Hunter

Be passionate about pursuing your purpose in life.
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟336,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just posted this in Carl's thread also...

I don't think Jesus went to hell. How about what Jesus says in his parable in Luke 16:26... "And besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, so that those who wish to come over from here to you will not be able, and that none may cross over from there to us."

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did Yeshua/Jesus go to hell, after he died? Absolutely, straight to hell.

I know that sounds like a terrible thing to say, but that is what he did. He did for us.

Lets remember facts that afterlife location of all people for the Jews before Yeshua overcame everything was Sheol in english, and it means a covering place. Everybody went to the place that was covered.

What was it covered from? God. Because they were not cleansed from sin. The blood of animals could not cleanse them. Even the good Abraham went to hell, after he died, he went to a place of peace. The rest that were evil went to a place called prison. So they all went to a place called Sheol under this covering. And we find to the activities of Yeshua, after he died on the cross, this is what peter says later.

Which is found in 1 Peter 3: It says this listen closely.
  • 18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
  • Listen : 19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
  • 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
So the idea is, he is on the cross, he dies, where did he go for the three days?
Peter tells 1 Peter 3:18-20, that he went to sheol, where in sheol? He went to the prison part of sheol.

Now this is a mystery I cannot explain it. He preached to the spirits in prison which were sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Simply put the idea seems to be Christ went to the prison and preached. The word preached in the Greek doesn't mean evangelize, it means to pronounce something to make an announcement.

Every time the gospel is preached in the New Testament; evangelize in the Greek is the word that is used.

But when Yeshua/Jesus goes preaches to the spirits in prison, it's not evangelize, it's just to make announcement, and who did he make the announcement to? He went and made an announcement, to the people who were disobedient from the time of Noah, and He said?

We do not know, what he said. He made an announcement to them.

It could have been "guess what Noah was right", because Noah preached 120 years while he was building the ark.
hi the story of Lazarus and the rich man tells pretty much where Jesus went and how long he stayed. He told the repentant thief on the cross that this day he would be with Jesus in paradise. So when Jesus descended into that place he ransomed out those in Abraham's bosom and led them free. This is what was accomplished when Jesus said it is finished or paid in full. The rest of the dead will not see Jesus until the great white throne judgment.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

I know that sounds like a terrible thing to say, but that is what he did. He did for us.

Lets remember facts that afterlife location of all people for the Jews before Yeshua overcame everything was Sheol in english, and it means a covering place. Everybody went to the place that was covered.

What was it covered from? God. Because they were not cleansed from sin. The blood of animals could not cleanse them. Even the good Abraham went to hell, after he died, he went to a place of peace. The rest that were evil went to a place called prison. So they all went to a place called Sheol under this covering. And we find to the activities of Yeshua, after he died on the cross, this is what peter says later.

• 18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
  • 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
So the idea is, he is on the cross, he dies, where did he go for the three days?
Peter tells 1 Peter 3:18-20, that he went to sheol, where in sheol? He went to the prison part of sheol.

Now this is a mystery I cannot explain it. He preached to the spirits in prison which were sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Simply put the idea seems to be Christ went to the prison and preached. The word preached in the Greek doesn't mean evangelize, it means to pronounce something to make an announcement.

Every time the gospel is preached in the New Testament; evangelize in the Greek is the word that is used.

But when Yeshua/Jesus goes preaches to the spirits in prison, it's not evangelize, it's just to make announcement, and who did he make the announcement to? He went and made an announcement, to the people who were disobedient from the time of Noah, and He said?

It could have been "guess what Noah was right", because Noah preached 120 years while he was building the ark.
The Apostles Creed says thag Jesus descended into Hell. However, the church fathers aren't referring to literal Hell but rather to the Hell of having to live among sinful man who hates and persecuted him, to say nothing of the shameful death on a tree.

Jesus did not go to literal Hell and we know this based on what he said on the cross. First he told the thief on the cross that today he would be with him in paradise, suggesting that Jesus went straight to Heaven. Second, when Jesus died he said "it is finished" meaning his redemptive work was finished, his punishment for the elect was served. He did not continue to be punished in the lake of fire.

• Friendly
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

ironyUSA

Mar 17, 2020
Whitehouse
✟20,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another way to ask the question is to ask whether Yeshua/Jesus was damned. Some affirm that he was.

I think this is the core of the controversy as it is rooted in views on the atonement. It emerges primarily from the penal-substitution (PSA) understanding. Personally, I think it's an absurd conclusion.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Jesus Christ of Nazareth died for the sins of humanity. He broke the bondsge of sin and sent Satan to the abyss never to have control over the earth anymore. It is exciting to know that He informed all of those who died before this glorious day that their day has come! Focusing on whether this is hell or some other place is not the point. The point is the Messiah has come and soon He will rise on the third day. He simply informed those who have died. Be blessed.

• Winner
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes when Jesus died He went straight to hell! did not pass go or collect $200. BUT hell is not the place where people suffer for all eternity! That is the lake of fire.

Hell is also called hades in Greek and sheol in Hebrew and is the place of the dead. Prior to Jesus ascension back to heaven hell/grave/sheol/hades was divided into three places.

1. Tartarus-where the angels who had sex with women in Genesis 6 are now confined.
2. The place of torments- where all the lost of all time are sent prior to their being cast into the lake of fire
3. Abrahams Bosom/Paradise. This is where the righteous dead went prior to Jesus ascending. All the saved from Adam to the last saint of the Old Covenant went thereupon death. This is where Jesus met the penitent thief and where Lazarus the beggar and all the righteous were. This is where Jesus went.

Now when the righteous die as Paul declared that our souls go to be directly with the Lord (to be absent from the body and present with the Lord)

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A couple of things to consider.
Jesus prophesied in advance that he would be "... in the heart of the earth."
He was not buried in the ground, he was laid in an above ground tomb.
Where is the heart of the earth? The realm of the dead. (found 29 times in the NIV)
Twice in Acts chapter two. (verses 27 and 31)

Matthew 12:40
For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hell is where the dead unrighteous people reside until it gets thrown into the lake of fire.
Universalists don't just believe that everyone will go to heaven, we also believe that everyone will go to "hell" first.

Mark 9:49
Everyone will be salted with fire.

1 Corinthians 3:12-15
If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A couple of things to consider.
Jesus prophesied in advance that he would be "... in the heart of the earth."
He was not buried in the ground, he was laid in an above ground tomb.
Where is the heart of the earth? The realm of the dead. (found 29 times in the NIV)
Twice in Acts chapter two. (verses 27 and 31)

Matthew 12:40
For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
In re-reading my post I was reminded of this scripture. Note: "swallowed up" (Jonah was swallowed up) Christ entered "hell" in the same way. (swallowed up) To be regurgitated from the realm of the dead in resurrected life.

1 Corinthians 15:54
When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Universalists don't just believe that everyone will go to heaven, we also believe that everyone will go to "hell" first.

Mark 9:49
Everyone will be salted with fire.

1 Corinthians 3:12-15
If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.
things that make you go hmmmm .........

where is hell mentioned in the passage ?

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@Saint Steven Not a universalist here, because universal belief is that every road leads to Heaven. However as Christianity teaches that the Lord Yeshua Christ is the way to the Kingdom of God.

People like to get hell confused, with the lake of fire.

Did you guys know that God is a consuming fire, is love, is spirit? Did you know that Yeshua Christ baptizes in fire, and spirit? (Hebrews 12:29; Matthew 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16)

You should know when you place something in a fire that whatever is placed on an alter is burned down.

Have you ever considered that because of God being a consuming fire, is also love, is also spirit. (Hebrews 12:29; 1 John 4:8; John 4:24)

That love burns like a fire? If you have the spirit inside of you, the spirit that is of love, is of Christ, and of fire, is able to burn down your flesh because of the spirit?

It's like pruning a grapevine (John 15) which are cut back, but then have a chance to grow more fruit afterwards. The spirit /(God by the spirit) can prune us back, from our flesh: Our hate, drug use, inappropriate contentography usage, divisions, frustrations, sexual immorality, strife, lasciviousness, idolatry, wrath, strife, enying, drunkness.

Do you believe that God by the spirit that is given to believers, and that is of Christ, that it's possible when we see fire, or something being burned down, that it speaks to us in our physical attributes rather than after life attributes? (1 Corinthians 15:35-54; Hebrews 12; Romans 8:9)

Because our afterlife attributes are all going to be spiritual, because God will be giving all people who do pass away a certain type of spiritual body that is pleasing to him. How a spiritual body can understand pain if others are to be burned alive is beyond my understanding.

A lot my teaching has to do with a lot of subjectivity. It's obvious that people who do wrong suffer for their wrong doing, and those who do what is right also suffer, even for doing their right doing. God loves both equally for the rain pours down on both parties. God loves both of them. (Matthew 5:45; John 3:16-17; 1 John 2:2; Galatians 3:13-14)

1 Timothy 4:9 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation.

10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Jesus went to hell to free the Old Testament righteous. It's called the 'Harrowing of Hell.' He didn't go as one of the damned, but as a conqueror.
Interesting that you, an EO, would say this bec it's the Catholic view and it is different from the Orthodox view that Christ preached the Gospel to all those in Hades.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Interesting that you, an EO, would say this bec it's the Catholic view and it is different from the Orthodox view that Christ preached the Gospel to all those in Hades.

'Old Testament Righteous' is not limited to the Jewish Nation. Job, for example, was a Righteous gentile. The ninevites who repented after Jonah preached to them... or literally anyone who'd follow Christ, having lived a life in search of him. God does not leave people without a chance for salvation. Just because Christ conquered hades for all, does not mean that all left with him.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You should know when you place something in a fire that whatever is placed on an alter is burned down....
Not necessarily, when God chooses to, fire does not destroy that which is in it.
Exodus 3:2
2 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.
Daniel 3:21
21 Then these men were bound in their coats, their hosen, and their hats, and their other garments, and were cast into the midst of the burning fiery furnace.
Daniel 3:27
27 And the princes, governors, and captains, and the king's counsellors, being gathered together, saw these men, upon whose bodies the fire had no power, nor was an hair of their head singed, neither were their coats changed, nor the smell of fire had passed on them.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not necessarily, when God chooses to, fire does not destroy that which is in it.
Exodus 3:2
2 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.
Daniel 3:21
21 Then these men were bound in their coats, their hosen, and their hats, and their other garments, and were cast into the midst of the burning fiery furnace.
Daniel 3:27
27 And the princes, governors, and captains, and the king's counsellors, being gathered together, saw these men, upon whose bodies the fire had no power, nor was an hair of their head singed, neither were their coats changed, nor the smell of fire had passed on them.

@Der Alte, You are right, and there is some important context missing with what you are sharing. Though you are right God did protect others sometimes in some sketchy situations they were placed in, which if literal they were throw into a giant burning fiery furnace and God protected them from the material fire, where as it seems to me Gods fire is spiritual because of God is spirit, is love, is spirit, is a consuming fire. Gods spiritual fire would be able to burn through anything that is material.

(Hebrews 12) Speaks about God shaking the earth but also the heavens, removing of what can be shaken- (which are material things), so that what cannot be shaken may remain (Spiritual). Receiving a Kingdom that cannot be shaken.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are several Hebrew and Greek words that were translated into "Hell" in the KJV. There were good reasons for this that based on comparing Norse and Greek mythologies. But the meaning of Hell has changed and our modern common understanding of Hell is only applicable to the biblical Lake of Fire. Jesus did not go there.
As far as Hebrew Sheol and the Greek Hades are concerned, it is best to leave these words untranslated, or if we absolutely have to translate them they can be rendered into the Underworld (or the Netherworld), as in the Catholic NAB, or the Spirit Prison, based on 1Pe 3:19.
The idea that Christ preached in the Spirit Prison is accepted by Catholics, Orthodox, Lutherans, Anglicans, Methodists, and most Pentecostals. It is not accepted by Reformed or Baptists (mostly).
As @solid_core pointed out, Jesus truly preached the Gospel in the Spirit Prison / Underworld.
The question that I have is whether only OT Jews were saved or that, at least some, Pagans were also saved?
The second question is what does Noah and his days have to do with this whole episode?
And the third question is whether Christ still preaches to the spirits in the Underworld?
…..According to three irrefutable Jewish sources; the Jewish Encyclopedia, Encyclopedia Judaica and the Talmud, quoted below, among the יהודים/Yehudim/ιουδαιων/Youdaion/Jews in Israel before and during the time of Jesus there was a belief in a place of everlasting torment of the wicked and they called it both sheol and gehinnom, translated hades and gehenna in the 225 BC LXX and the NT.
…..There were different factions within Judaism; Sadducees, Pharisees, Essenes etc. and there were different beliefs about resurrection, hell etc. That there were differing beliefs does not rebut, refute, change or disprove anything in this post.

Jewish Encyclopedia, Gehenna
The place where children were sacrificed to the god Moloch … in the "valley of the son of Hinnom," to the south of Jerusalem (Josh. xv. 8, passim; II Kings xxiii. 10; Jer. ii. 23; vii. 31-32; xix. 6, 13-14). … the valley was deemed to be accursed, and "Gehenna" therefore soon became a figurative equivalent for "hell." Hell, like paradise, was created by God (Sotah 22a);[“Soon” in this verse would be about 700 BC +/-]
[Note, this is according to the ancient Jews, long before the Christian era, NOT any supposed bias of modern Christian translators. DA]
(I)n general …sinners go to hell immediately after their death. The famous teacher Johanan b. Zakkai wept before his death because he did not know whether he would go to paradise or to hell (Ber. 28b). The pious go to paradise, and sinners to hell(B.M. 83b).
But as regards the heretics, etc., and Jeroboam, Nebat's son, hell shall pass away, but they shall not pass away" (R. H. 17a; comp. Shab. 33b). All that descend into Gehenna shall come up again, with the exception of three classes of men: those who have committed adultery, or shamed their neighbors, or vilified them (B. M. 58b).[/i]
… heretics and the Roman oppressors go to Gehenna, and the same fate awaits the Persians, the oppressors of the Babylonian Jews (Ber. 8b). When Nebuchadnezzar descended into hell, [שאול/Sheol] all its inhabitants were afraid that he was coming to rule over them (Shab. 149a; comp. Isa. xiv. 9-10). The Book of Enoch [x. 6, xci. 9, etal] also says that it is chiefly the heathen who are to be cast into the fiery pool on the Day of Judgment (x. 6, xci. 9, et al). "The Lord, the Almighty, will punish them on the Day of Judgment by putting fire and worms into their flesh, so that they cry out with pain unto all eternity" (Judith xvi. 17). The sinners in Gehenna will be filled with pain when God puts back the souls into the dead bodies on the Day of Judgment, according toIsa. xxxiii. 11 (Sanh. 108b).

Link: Jewish Encyclopedia Online
Note, scripture references are highlighted in blue.
= = = = = = = = = =
Encyclopedia Judaica:
Gehinnom (Heb. גֵּי בֶן־הִנֹּם, גֵּי בְנֵי הִנֹּם, גֵּיא בֶן־הִנֹּם, גֵּיא הִנֹּם; Gr. Γέεννα; "Valley of Ben-Hinnom, Valley of [the Son (s) of] Hinnom," Gehenna), a valley south of Jerusalem on one of the borders between the territories of Judah and Benjamin, between the Valley of *Rephaim and *En-Rogel (Josh. 15:8; 18:16). It is identified with Wadi er-Rababi.

…..During the time of the Monarchy, Gehinnom, at a place called Topheth, was the site of a cult which involved the burning of children (II Kings 23:10; Jer. 7:31; 32:35 et al.; ). Jeremiah repeatedly condemned this cult and predicted that on its account Topheth and the Valley of the Son of Hinnom would be called the Valley of the "Slaughter" (Jer. 19:5–6).
In Judaism the name Gehinnom is generally used as an appellation of the place of torment reserved for the wicked after death. The New Testament used the Greek form Gehenna in the same sense.
Gehinnom
http://www.jevzajcg.me/enciklopedia/Encyclopaedia Judaica, v. 07 (Fey-Gor).pdf
= = = = = = = = = =
Talmud -Tractate Rosh Hashanah Chapter 1.
The school of Hillel says: . . . but as for Minim, [followers of Jesus] informers and disbelievers, who deny the Torah, or Resurrection, or separate themselves from the congregation, or who inspire their fellowmen with dread of them, or who sin and cause others to sin, as did Jeroboam the son of Nebat and his followers, they all descend to Gehenna, and are judged there from generation to generation, as it is said [Isa. lxvi. 24]:
"And they shall go forth and look upon the carcases of the men who have transgressed against Me; for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched." Even when Gehenna will be destroyed, they will not be consumed, as it is written[Psalms, xlix. 15]: "And their forms wasteth away in the nether world," which the sages comment upon to mean that their forms shall endure even when the grave is no more.
Concerning them Hannah says [I Sam. ii. 10]: "The adversaries of the Lord shall be broken to pieces."
Link: Tract Rosh Hashana: Chapter I.
When Jesus taught e.g.,
• “Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:” Matthew 25:41
• "these shall go away into eternal punishment, Matthew 25:46"
• "the fire of hell [Γέεννα/gehenna] where the fire is not quenched and the worm does not die, 3X Mark 9:43-48"
• "cast into a fiery furnace where there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth,” Matthew 13:42, Matthew 13:50
• “But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.” Matthew 18:6
• “And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” Matthew 7:23
• “woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born. ” Matthew 26:24
• “But I say unto you, that it shall be more tolerable in that day for Sodom, than for that city.” Luke 10:12
…..These teachings tacitly reaffirmed and sanctioned a then existing significant Jewish view of eternal hell, outlined above. In Matt. 18:6, 26:24 and Luk 10:12, see above, Jesus teaches that there is a punishment worse than death or nonexistence.
…..A punishment worse than death without mercy is also mentioned in Hebrews 10:28-31.

Heb 10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
…..Jesus is quoted as using the word death 17 times in the gospels, if He wanted to say eternal death in Matt 25:46, that is what He would have said but He didn’t, He said “eternal punishment.
The Sadducees did not believe in the resurrection, they knew that everybody died; rich, poor, young, old, good, bad, men, women, children, infants and knew that often it had nothing to do with punishment and was permanent.
When Jesus taught “eternal punishment” they would not have understood it as merely death, it would have meant something worse to them.
…..Concerning “punishment” one early church father wrote,

“Then these reap no advantage from their punishment, as it seems: moreover, I would say that they are not punished unless they are conscious of the punishment.” Justin Martyr [A.D. 110-165.] Dialogue with Trypho Chapter 4
…..Jesus undoubtedly knew what the Jews, believed about hell. If that Jewish teaching was wrong, why didn’t Jesus tell them there was no hell, no eternal punishment etc? Why would Jesus teach “eternal punishment,” etc. to Jews who believed, "The Lord, the Almighty, will punish them on the Day of Judgment by putting fire and worms into their flesh, so that they cry out with pain unto all eternity," which would only encourage and reinforce their beliefs?

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There has been confusion about the meaning of "Hell" in this thread.

The English word "Hell" is based on the Old Norse Hel.

"Hel (Old Norse Hel, “Hidden;” pronounced like the English word “Hell”) is the most general name for the underworld where many of the dead dwell. It’s presided over by a fearsome goddess whose name is also Hel."

It is obvious from this definition that is equivalent to the Greek concept of Hades and the Hebrew concept of Sheol. This is why these biblical words were translated to English "Hell" in KJV and other old sources.

However, the meaning of "Hell" has changed in our common / modern usage to "a place or state of eternal torment." Thus, the word "Hell" is no longer equivalent to the biblical Sheol / Hades.

In our common everyday usage the word "Hell" is more of a description of the biblical "Lake of Fire."

Just remember, when we say "truck" in English we think of a big boxy vehicle for hauling large, heavy loads. The original meaning of "truck" was vegetables.

No one suggests that we use the word "Truck" to mean vegetables. Similarly, we should use the word "Hell" in its modern meaning and keep in mind its old meaning when reading old documents.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0