Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
OK - during my years as UGCC , after the Vesperal Liturgy on Great and Holy Saturday before the Midnight Office we always read the Acts of the Apostles in Church with 'volunteers' each taking a Chapter.

Is this done in Orthodoxy ?

Reason I'm asking is that my GodPapa is acting as Diak in another UGCC Parish for Great and Holy Week and Pascha, where the admittedly aesthetically beautiful Bible is exceedingly difficult from which to read - the type is far too ornate :( I've just been given a project - to produce a copy that can be read easily by people who are not used to Reading in Church. For this project of course I have to use a Catholic Edition - but I'm happy enough helping doing this sort of thing.

Just thought that if it is done in Orthodoxy I'd print it out when finished so we have it in our Community as a resource.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
OK - during my years as UGCC , after the Vesperal Liturgy on Great and Holy Saturday before the Midnight Office we always read the Acts of the Apostles in Church with 'volunteers' each taking a Chapter.

Reason I'm asking is that my GodPapa is acting as Diak in another UGCC Parish for Great and Holy Week and Pascha, where the admittedly aesthetically beautiful Bible is exceedingly difficult from which to read - the type is far too ornate :( I've just been given a project - to produce a copy that can be read easily by people who are not used to Reading in Church. For this project of course I have to use a Catholic Edition - but I'm happy enough helping doing this sort of thing.

Just thought that if it is done in Orthodoxy I'd print it out when finished so we have it in our Community as a resource.
We have a vigil watch after Holy Friday in front of the tomb. We pray Psalms the whole evening and take turns reassigned for hours through the night.

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
LOL!! My first Pascha, the chrism had barely dried, from the week before. I get there, and offer to take over, for a woman who sounded tired, and would be in the choir at the Liturgy. I should have looked at the schedule, and the clock... I ended up reading Acts out loud (untrained semi-chanting for part of it), for just about 50 minutes. Fortunately when I ran out of Acts, there was someone there to do a stage whisper "Psst..... Finished Acts, NOW what?" "Back to the beginning of it" "OK"

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thanks - I'm now at Chapter 3 - all beautifully done , formatted as GodPapa and I do things , 25 more to be done :)

This will be the first time all in English for me - till now it's always been bilingual - hence done in Chapters so we could switch languages easily

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
GodPapa? Seven letters. Why not just go with God Father? 9 letters. Not a big gulf there! Every time I read Anhelyna say that, I picture her 4 years old with Hello Kitty plush toys and Pusheen bed spread.

:sorry:^_^^_^^_^

Oh dang....I'm thinking out loud again....Anhleyna is going to summon a lynching! I'm outta here! :scratch:^_^

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But Lent is when we’re all cranky and mean! Optimal time to attack! Lol

Oh and lynching doesn't happen during the fast - it comes after Bright Week :D

• Haha
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
GodPapa? Seven letters. Why not just go with God Father? 9 letters. Not a big gulf there! Every time I read Anhelyna say that, I picture her 4 years old with Hello Kitty plush toys and Pusheen bed spread.
When I hear Godfather, I always think "Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I hear Godfather, I always think "Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday"
Two Sunday's before my Christmation, someone asked me who was going to be my Godfather. I answered "Some guy named Corleone?" It was the first time the subject was mentioned.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Are you part of the family?" (said in whispering Brando-style voice)

Two Sunday's before my Christmation, someone asked me who was going to be my Godfather. I answered "Some guy named Corleone?" It was the first time the subject was mentioned.

• Haha
Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

The Typikon says to read the Acts, yes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums