Not trying to be controversial here but...

intricatic

...a dinosaur... or something...
Aug 5, 2005
Ohio
✟58,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Some people insist it has no negative side effects... If that's true and weed is actually good for you, why is it illegal?
Because da man doesn't want us developing magical powers and taking over the world with furry pink bunnies and rainbows. :eek:

I seen it, man....

To be serious... I don't think pot does have any negative side-effects, except chronic stupidity, artificial ADD, and a love for all things made with artificial cheese. I dunno why it's illegal, but I really don't care one way or the other. I won't touch the stuff.

Upvote 0

Spicy McHaggis

I don't know nothin 'bout birthin no babies
Apr 30, 2002
Chicagoland
✟29,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah... I know you are right Spicy. I have let this guy get away with a lot of crap...

He came and saw me this morning and apologized for last night. He really seemed sincere but he could tell I was really irked at him for it. He insists he doesn't smoke that much and said he is going to quit again soon. I kept calling him a pothead last night, that seemed to bug him. I don't think he wants me to think of him that way.

Not like I'm old and wise or anything, but back in the day (which was a Wednesday btw, for me, "the day" was on a Wednesday) I put up with alot of crap. And because of it I was always the emotional boyfriend always talking about how nice I was and still women treated me like crap.

One day I liked this girl, and she had a BF, and she came up to me and said "you want to hear what a jerk my BF is?" and I said "No, because I kindof like you, and if he's a jerk and you're still with him I'll start losing respect for you and I'd rather we were friends".

Not saying that was a turning point in my life, but things have definately been better since I switched from "that guy" to who I am now.

There's been alot of girls I *didn't* get involved with but still kept in touch with, and I can see now that I know them, the ability to say no has saved my butt in ways I probably don't fully comprehend yet.

and stop drinking Bud Light. (nyuknyuk)

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell33

Feb 24, 2007
✟34,871.00
Marital Status
Private
Because da man doesn't want us developing magical powers and taking over the world with furry pink bunnies and rainbows. :eek:

I seen it, man....

To be serious... I don't think pot does have any negative side-effects, except chronic stupidity, artificial ADD, and a love for all things made with artificial cheese. I dunno why it's illegal, but I really don't care one way or the other. I won't touch the stuff.
There are negative side effects, check out the link I just posted if you want to know more.

Upvote 0

intricatic

Aug 5, 2005
Ohio
✟58,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There are negative side effects, check out the link I just posted if you want to know more.
Hey, I smoked pot for like 10 years. I don't need no gubment agency to tell me it's bad. But I think a lot of the hyperbolic propaganda is a farce to get people to justify not smoking, when all they really need to do is look at how people act when they're high. :p

Upvote 0

gottabemore2life

Princess - Just a Little Girl
Nov 8, 2007
Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Not like I'm old and wise or anything, but back in the day (which was a Wednesday btw, for me, "the day" was on a Wednesday) I put up with alot of crap. And because of it I was always the emotional boyfriend always talking about how nice I was and still women treated me like crap.

One day I liked this girl, and she had a BF, and she came up to me and said "you want to hear what a jerk my BF is?" and I said "No, because I kindof like you, and if he's a jerk and you're still with him I'll start losing respect for you and I'd rather we were friends".

Not saying that was a turning point in my life, but things have definately been better since I switched from "that guy" to who I am now.

There's been alot of girls I *didn't* get involved with but still kept in touch with, and I can see now that I know them, the ability to say no has saved my butt in ways I probably don't fully comprehend yet.

and stop drinking Bud Light. (nyuknyuk)
I had regular old budweiser last night... is that better? :D

I am learning how to say no... and learning how to say what I really feel instead of "Oh, it's alright. I forgive you for disappointing me over and over and OVER..."

But you know when you like someone, it's hard not to believe every apology, because it's exactly what you wanna hear.

Upvote 0

gottabemore2life

Nov 8, 2007
Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hey, I smoked pot for like 10 years. I don't need no gubment agency to tell me it's bad. But I think a lot of the hyperbolic propaganda is a farce to get people to justify not smoking, when all they really need to do is look at how people act when they're high. :p
Well people still drink and act retarded...

This world... I don't know.... it's like, is life really that bad that we need to be chasing around all these temporary highs? I am getting of it too, definitely, and I do use it as an escape sometimes... But, I am starting to question it a lot more often these days.

Upvote 0

penNpaper

Keep on moving
Nov 14, 2006
Youngstown
✟33,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Well I am not trying to judge anyone here... That wasn't the purpose of the thread. I am sure some people out there have smoked a time or two. Not saying people who smoke are bad people... I am just wondering if there is anyone out there who can tell me what it's like and why it seems to take over a person's life.

:p mkm

Regards,
Drew

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Some people insist it has no negative side effects... If that's true and weed is actually good for you, why is it illegal?
Here are some quick facts I found - not sure how accurate. Also, the same site speculated (can't verify their information) that it was made illegal originally as part of a "conspiracy" that involved DuPont corporation which was introducing synthetic fibers in the early 1900s and wanted to squeeze out hemp production for clothing fiber and ropes, etc.

Why it is illegal:

The Controlled Substances Act of 1970, during the Nixon era, unfortunately defined marijuana as a Schedule 1 drug. Other Schedule 1 drugs include heroin and LSD. A drug categorized as Schedule 1 is indicated as being addictive, dangerous and of no use medicinally. In order for marijuana to be legalized, it must first be recognized as having some sort of medicinal properties.

This, marijuana advocates and lawmakers contend is the number one stumbling block to decriminalization. A number of lawmakers have pushed to have the drug reclassified as a Schedule 2 drug, with the likes of cocaine. Schedule 2 drugs are still dangerous and addictive, but they have been proven to have certain medicinal uses.
Many physicians and proponents of decriminalization argue that the government routinely overlooks patients’ needs. The government counters on charges of a lack of scientifically supported research.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TwistTim

Whimsical, Witty, Wacky, Waiting, Wise Guy
Jan 27, 2007
Ork
✟22,644.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
A lot of the guys on my squad do it... heck, a lot of people in this town do it. And I just never really understood why....

But last night, was kinda the straw that broke my back. The guy I have been seeing recently was supposed to come hang out with me since I haven't seen him in awhile. But he got too high to drive... I am just wondering how weed could possibly be that great that he would break plans with me. I am very upset at the moment and just want to understand what is so good about it that it causes people to forget about everything else except getting that high.
the first times, a small bit takes you on a journey to a magical realm where things are pretty... then it takes more... and more... then harder stuff... I am sorry you got ditched for a drug of distraction...

after a while it becomes addicting and you keep doing it because your body craves it... not so much for where it takes you while your on it, but because of how your body rebels when you are off it....

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I am learning how to say no... and learning how to say what I really feel instead of "Oh, it's alright. I forgive you for disappointing me over and over and OVER..."

But you know when you like someone, it's hard not to believe every apology, because it's exactly what you wanna hear.

Read the book, "He's Just Not That Into You" if you haven't already. That book changed my attitude very quickly. I was very good at forgiving totally inexcusable behavior. I've recommended it to a few friends, recently and they've said the same. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

gottabemore2life

Nov 8, 2007
Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Just a question, how often does he smoke it?
I think he used to smoke it a lot, then quit for a long time. He wasn't smoking when I met him, then he just started doing it regularly again. He doesn't do it every night, but probably 3 or 4 times a week, and it's been a lot more frequent as of late.

Upvote 0

intricatic

Aug 5, 2005
Ohio
✟58,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
the first times, a small bit takes you on a journey to a magical realm where things are pretty... then it takes more... and more... then harder stuff... I am sorry you got ditched for a drug of distraction...

after a while it becomes addicting and you keep doing it because your body craves it... not so much for where it takes you while your on it, but because of how your body rebels when you are off it....
That's true when it comes to cocaine or heroin, but not when it comes to pot. Pot has a weird way of acting in terms of tolerance. If you smoke pot one day, then go a day without smoking, your tolerance to pot will actually be less than it was the first time you smoked. :scratch: But by the same token, you can smoke pot every day for six months, then go a month without it, without having any kind of cravings other than the whole "Darn it, I prefer being stoned because it's boring being sober" thing. :p

Upvote 0

gottabemore2life

Nov 8, 2007
Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Here are some quick facts I found - not sure how accurate. Also, the same site speculated (can't verify their information) that it was made illegal originally as part of a "conspiracy" that involved DuPont corporation which was introducing synthetic fibers in the early 1900s and wanted to squeeze out hemp production for clothing fiber and ropes, etc.

Why it is illegal:

Don't hospitals use marijuana as a pain reliever though? How can it have no medicinal purpose then?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gottabemore2life

Nov 8, 2007
Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Read the book, "He's Just Not That Into You" if you haven't already. That book changed my attitude very quickly. I was very good at forgiving totally inexcusable behavior. I've recommended it to a few friends, recently and they've said the same. :thumbsup:

I will have to check it out!

Upvote 0

fishin4christ

The Fisherman
Dec 17, 2007
Georgia
✟23,940.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
...someone please tell me what's so great about smoking marijuana.
There is nothing great about it ! I have family members in jail right now because of it. As for why they do it, I have no clue. It seems like everybody who does it is depressed, or down on life. It's kinda like a pick-me-up I guess you could say. My cousin said he enjoys it because it makes you feel invincible. It's like everything is going in slow motion, but that's why he is in jail at the moment too.

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Don't hospitals use marijuana as a pain reliever though? How can it have no medicinal purpose then?
There is a large movement to prove that it does have medicinal qualities. I don't know how true/untrue that is. My opinion? It's mind altering, so it dulls the sensation of pain/discomfort that the patient is experiencing. I guess the implication is that it's a "natural" form of pain management b/c it dulls the pain receptors in a similar way that synthetic pain meds do.

I don't think it is wrong to use it as part of a pain management program any more than it would be to use a synthetic painkiller, which can be just as addictive. But, I don't think that calls for making it completely legal. It needs to be controlled by prescription if it is used in that manner, IMO.

Also, it's a gateway drug. People start out using pot b/c it's pretty easy to access and it's not as hardcore as other drugs. But, the potential to be introduced to more hardcore drugs is greater if you have tried pot than if you have not, IMO.

Upvote 0

gottabemore2life

Nov 8, 2007
Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
There is a large movement to prove that it does have medicinal qualities. I don't know how true/untrue that is. My opinion? It's mind altering, so it dulls the sensation of pain/discomfort that the patient is experiencing. I guess the implication is that it's a "natural" form of pain management b/c it dulls the pain receptors in a similar way that synthetic pain meds do.

I don't think it is wrong to use it as part of a pain management program any more than it would be to use a synthetic painkiller, which can be just as addictive. But, I don't think that calls for making it completely legal. It needs to be controlled by prescription if it is used in that manner, IMO.

Also, it's a gateway drug. People start out using pot b/c it's pretty easy to access and it's not as hardcore as other drugs. But, the potential to be introduced to more hardcore drugs is greater if you have tried pot than if you have not, IMO.

Mind altering substances...

Like I said before, I don't see why so many people feel they need to escape from reality. I realize life isn't always great but... I would rather be in the moment than blazed out of my mind and not remember half my life.

Upvote 0