Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Maybe this is a prayer request, or maybe it's a question of sorts, I'm not really sure.

I'm not having a crisis of faith. I fully believe in God and Christ and what He did on the cross. I'm thankful for salvation through grace and faith. I'm simply struggling with life. I've read a couple books by Dr. Craig on apologetics in the last couple months and I'm coming around to the idea that the main point of this life is knowledge of God and not happiness. I guess I'm wondering though, if I'm not happy what's the point? I mean I'm intelligent (high IQ), I have a great career, the Lord has provided for me and I don't really want for much of anything...except companionship. I've heard the constant platitudes of Jesus is all you need, or talk to God. If this is so, then why is someone who is happy with just Jesus in his/her life get married? Was He not enough? I pray and talk to the Lord, but want I feel like I'm lacking is real conversation, intelligent engagement in discussion, or something similar. I've essentially given up on happiness. And if I hear the love yourself line one more time I'm gonna snap, because...I DO and I'm sick of people assuming. What I'm wanting is someone to share things with and I can't figure out what's wrong with that, because everyone says the same crap over and over again because they assume rather than actually trying to understand what I mean. Some say well Paul was alone, and that's not entirely true if you read scripture, but I digress, even if he was I'm not Paul the Apostle, I'm me. So even praying for others to be happy, even, if I'm not has to have some merit...doesn't it?

The_Believer7

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Midwest
✟3,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe this is a prayer request, or maybe it's a question of sorts, I'm not really sure.

I'm not having a crisis of faith. I fully believe in God and Christ and what He did on the cross. I'm thankful for salvation through grace and faith. I'm simply struggling with life. I've read a couple books by Dr. Craig on apologetics in the last couple months and I'm coming around to the idea that the main point of this life is knowledge of God and not happiness. I guess I'm wondering though, if I'm not happy what's the point? I mean I'm intelligent (high IQ), I have a great career, the Lord has provided for me and I don't really want for much of anything...except companionship. I've heard the constant platitudes of Jesus is all you need, or talk to God. If this is so, then why is someone who is happy with just Jesus in his/her life get married? Was He not enough? I pray and talk to the Lord, but want I feel like I'm lacking is real conversation, intelligent engagement in discussion, or something similar. I've essentially given up on happiness. And if I hear the love yourself line one more time I'm gonna snap, because...I DO and I'm sick of people assuming. What I'm wanting is someone to share things with and I can't figure out what's wrong with that, because everyone says the same crap over and over again because they assume rather than actually trying to understand what I mean. Some say well Paul was alone, and that's not entirely true if you read scripture, but I digress, even if he was I'm not Paul the Apostle, I'm me. So even praying for others to be happy, even, if I'm not has to have some merit...doesn't it?

Some suggestions ...

Become active in a group which shares a common interest with you. Get out and around people. This will help with the loneliness ... and perhaps put you next to some viable prospects.

You are about the age that I was when I found a life-partner. Actually God kind of found them ... they were right under my nose for a time, and we eventually gravitated to common activities, interests, etc.

Invigorate your christian life, ... because life with a partner is going to be more complicated. You'll have to make a few sacrifices ... and get used to living for someone else ... and not just yourself.

Research how to be a good christian partner/husband. God may be waiting on you to become ready.

And then ... leave it in His hands, ... as He knows what is best for us.

I will pray for you. God bless ...

Upvote 0

lozzymagoo

Mar 9, 2018
UK
✟16,966.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hi Sir. How are you today?....I guess from your post, you're not feeling the best you could.
Life is weird right? So much expectation and yet sometimes our lives look nothing like what we imagined they would.
Nobody should be alone. If I'm honest, I have spent way too much time alone and as a single woman, its gets really tough. I genuinely miss being in a relationship. I'm not a relationship hopper, but I just miss it. Life is so much warmer when there's another to share it with.
I guess I understand where you're coming from though. What kind of companionship are you talking about? If you're a Christian, obviously us Christ followers need each other. So the best place to start is in a Church.
I've learnt that happiness and Joy are two different things. We always have the joy of Christ in us, its not a fleeting woozy, warm feeling like happiness. I know the world pushes this constant message of 'happiness' but honestly people are not always happy. All the things that are a necessity in this life (like money etc) might give you the fleeting happy feeling once in a while, but its Joy that will keep you stable. As a believer, in a relationship with Jesus, its also the knowing of our eternal future and the freedom in submission to a huge God who is full of love....I hope you get what I'm saying.
But yes, no man should be alone. Jesus Christ himself was not alone. He had his friends, his disciples. We're not designed to walk alone. The task is finding some decent company, people you can just be yourself with.
I'll be praying for you Sir.

Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God did make humanity with a inward desire to couple. So your normal. But it’s your time in your life to be single. Use that time wisely. I realize it not easy, but it is normal. Until God moves you into a different place. Keep in mind this one scripture “seek yea first the kingdom of heaven” make it your focus and goal. It’s not easy, but it has to be done, it’s the only thing that will bring you any peace.

Much love and prayers, Not me

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't know if you have many of these churches in your area, but around here some different churches that have singles clubs.
They do all kinds of cool things, Bible studies, Movies, Cookouts and so forth, I hear they have great success. Bless you brother. :]

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Father, I pray that You would, or use someone or something to help this one understand the answer to their question. May they know that happiness is not the main goal in and of itself, and that happiness in this life can come and go and come again. You tell us in 1 Corinthians it is alright to marry if need be, and that is the usual case. Like the main course of a dinner, You are enough, but we have side dishes as well. They are not essential, but they are enjoyable. You said that it was not good for the man (Adam) to be alone; so there is nothing wrong with desiring to have someone (whether spouse or friend or both) to share the various aspects of our life with, while we make worshipping, serving, and walking in fellowship with God our main goal. Two people that are married, that have this as the goal of both is a wonderful thing. Whether it is the relationship to You, or to one's self, or to a mate, may NW82 see how You would have them balance all three, and understand where happiness fits in among the mix. Amen.

Upvote 0