Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by TruelightUK
However, if there was ONE thing you could change about the Church you currently belong to, what would it be and why? 

The one thing I would not want to change is diapers in the nursery. But if I could change something, it would be that everyone receive everything that God has for them. Far to often people go home with less than all of what God wanted for them to receive.

Sometimes I will stay after a service and drink it in. If they do not want it, I will take it. But I would rather it would go to the person God intended it for.

Upvote 0

TruelightUK

Tilter at religious windmills
There is no 'right' answer on this one, guys! Just trying to get a feel of what bugs folk other than myself!

I currently attend two churches:

In the 'new' one (the local CofE parish, which tends now to be my most regular fellowship) there's a few minor things - like the seats, the layout of the building etc. - but the main thing would be the music; we have some good old hymns and occasional innovations form Taize, Africa etc., but most of the 'modern' songs and choruses we use are dreadful! There's some great new music for worship out there, but we only ever seem to pick the really crummy ones! Why?  Because I think it would lift our worship to a new level, more glorifying to God, and more edifying for the congregation.  Still, we're currently undergoing a major congregational consultation on music in worship, so, praise God, things may just be gettign better!

In the 'old' one (big city centre Pentecostal) there's a lot more (which is prob. why I've stopped going so regularly!), but the main one would be the complacency of the congregation (and to an extent the ministers) about lifestyle issues, and practical involvement in social and missions issues (beyond just dipping in your pocket once a year on Missions Sunday!). Linked to this is the lack of a real sense of community within the congregation - we come together on a Sunday, but rarely interact through the week, so mutual support and encouragement is, at best, superficial.  Why?  Because Christianity is so much more than an individual relationship with Christ, and needs to embrace and effect every part of our life together as His people. (And because, personally, over the 3 years I've been in this church, I've tended to feel isolated and unsupported in my own walk with God, and need the encouragement of being members-together with like-minded people).

Anthony

Upvote 0

EJO

Hellafreak
Sep 4, 2002
Seattle
✟8,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by TruelightUK
There is no 'right' answer on this one, guys! Just trying to get a feel of what bugs folk other than myself!

I currently attend two churches:

In the 'new' one (the local CofE parish, which tends now to be my most regular fellowship) there's a few minor things - like the seats, the layout of the building etc. - but the main thing would be the music; we have some good old hymns and occasional innovations form Taize, Africa etc., but most of the 'modern' songs and choruses we use are dreadful! There's some great new music for worship out there, but we only ever seem to pick the really crummy ones! Why?  Because I think it would lift our worship to a new level, more glorifying to God, and more edifying for the congregation.  Still, we're currently undergoing a major congregational consultation on music in worship, so, praise God, things may just be gettign better!

In the 'old' one (big city centre Pentecostal) there's a lot more (which is prob. why I've stopped going so regularly!), but the main one would be the complacency of the congregation (and to an extent the ministers) about lifestyle issues, and practical involvement in social and missions issues (beyond just dipping in your pocket once a year on Missions Sunday!). Linked to this is the lack of a real sense of community within the congregation - we come together on a Sunday, but rarely interact through the week, so mutual support and encouragement is, at best, superficial.  Why?  Because Christianity is so much more than an individual relationship with Christ, and needs to embrace and effect every part of our life together as His people. (And because, personally, over the 3 years I've been in this church, I've tended to feel isolated and unsupported in my own walk with God, and need the encouragement of being members-together with like-minded people).

Anthony

Great perspective on your issue .
One thing I would change in our body, is what I call whining, and inner bickering.
Basically, it is when people complain that the sermon went over 5 or 10 minutes over, or the music is to fast, too slow, or the pastor did not make me feel good w/ his sermon.
It is amazing that christians can be so picky.
We must allow God to move in all areas and circumctances of our lives, and not put Him in a box.

But other than that I am very blessed by my church, I am challenged and growing in God's truth every week.

God Bless....

Upvote 0

waterwizard

Senior Veteran
Aug 13, 2002
Alabama
✟3,275.00
Faith
Baptist
During the past 2 years, our little church has been through some major changes. Attendance dwindled, our pastor left, there was a power struggle within the church during which we went through another pastor. Now we have a good pastor, but our attendance hovers around 13 to 15 each Sunday. We got the reputation throughout the community as a church whose members fight among one another, and the reputation spread and it has hurt us tremendously. Rebuilding and restoring a good reputation is much harder than destroying one.
What would I change? If I could wave my magic wand, I'd change some hearts and get the support back that we are sorely lacking. Not just financial support, but every kind: being there for one another, the desire to serve God through working in the church, willingness to step in and do what needs to be done. We have too many that say "This needs to be done, but I'm not going to do it."

I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks for letting me vent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EJO

Hellafreak
Sep 4, 2002
Seattle
✟8,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by waterwizard
During the past 2 years, our little church has been through some major changes. Attendance dwindled, our pastor left, there was a power struggle within the church during which we went through another pastor. Now we have a good pastor, but our attendance hovers around 13 to 15 each Sunday. We got the reputation throughout the community as a church whose members fight among one another, and the reputation spread and it has hurt us tremendously. Rebuilding and restoring a good reputation is much harder than destroying one.
What would I change? If I could wave my magic wand, I'd change some hearts and get the support back that we are sorely lacking. Not just financial support, but every kind: being there for one another, the desire to serve God through working in the church, willingness to step in and do what needs to be done. We have too many that say "This needs to be done, but I'm not going to do it."

I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks for letting me vent.

As long as the pastor keeps preaching the Word. He is honoring God. I believe God will be faithful to the body there.
Numbers is such a HUGE hang up in the church today I think. Just preach the word. Thats it, allow God to work.

Upvote 0

endure

Aug 27, 2002
georgia, sautee.
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Christian
hmmm, good question, im glad your simply asking for opinions instead of a real answer.

i remember something a pastor of myne said to me, "what makes a good church?" everyone said, "prayer, the word, worship and on and on and on" but the truth is "good people" make a good church.
becuase all those other things come out of you being that kind of person.

i really dont see any flaw in my church, maybe im just easy to please, or maybe my church is bent on pleasing people and god above all. but for whatever reason, i love everything about my church.
theres good food at our restaurant, the pastors wonderful, plenty of fun to be had in free time, besides the fact that my church is built on a very solid sound doctrine, and is commited to obeying every aspect of the word.
ah, i love the diffrent groups, well, not cliches as people say, but mens groups, women groups, i mean places to get plugged in, not something so broad that you dont really ever have any activity in the church.

well..sometimes i get picky if the pastors sermons arent "deep" enough for me, (becuase i like to think im smart and if something isnt deep enough to please me then i think it isnt good) but thats my problem not his.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hawkeye: I will not carry a gun, Frank. When I got into this war I had a very clear understanding with the Pentagon. No guns. I'll carry your books, I'll carry a torch, I'll carry a tune, I'll carry on, carry over, carry forward, Cary Grant, cash and carry, carry me back to old Virginie, I'll even hari-kari if you show me how, but I will not carry a gun!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums