Farmington
✟23,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
(I'll be doing this as a Bible Study later this week)

"Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish." - Luke 13:3 & 5

"Repent" - "Metanoeo" means to change ones mind or perspective: also to change your purpose. It involves turning away from sin, and turning to God, conforming to His will.
"the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance..." - (Romans 2:4)

1) Repentance is a gift of God and His grace. "Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins." (Acts 5:31) "When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life." (Acts 11:18)

2) Believe unto repentance. "For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." (Romans 10:10). Here, "believing" is the same thing: not just the thought of believing in the mind, but to be persuaded, and actions or behaviors will follow. "Pisteuo" is the Greek word used for believe, and it's a verb - an action word. This believing involves both the mind exercising faith, trust, confidence, and reliance on, and behaviors in line with that belief.
It is also Godly sorrow: being truly sorry for your sins, not a worldly or legal sorrow that is sorry of the CONSEQUENCES of sin. "For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death" (2 Corinthians 7:10)

3) "Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance." (Matthew 3:8) "Meet" here is "axios" meaning worthy of, worth, or corresponding to: in this case, repentance.
1599 Geneva Bible says it this way, "Bring forth therefore fruit worthy amendment of life..."
Fruits are our actions, lifestyle, what we do, our behavior. Read Matthew 7:16-20
"Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."

4) Perfection. Striving for perfection is the duty of the Christian who has repented. You've heard people say "Nobody's perfect, we're all going to sin." Surprise! That is NOT what the Bible teaches. We MUST believe and act on what Scripture says, not what man says.
Old Testament:
Genesis 17:1 "And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect."
Job 1:1 "There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil."
Psalm 101:2-3 "I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart. I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."
The Hebrew words used here are Tamim and Tam. They mean integrity, without spot, without blemish, complete, innocent, unimpaired, fullness, moral innocence, perfection.
New Testament:
Matthew 5:48 (Jesus says this), " Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."
Ephesians 4:11-12, "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ."
James 3:2 "If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body."
Perfect is "teleios" meaning, wanting nothing necessary to completeness, perfect, consummate human integrity and virtue; complete in growth, maturity, fullness in mental and moral character. In Ephesians it's "katartismos" - complete furnishing, equipping, perfecting of the soul.

We are to strive towards this perfection. It is a part of repentance, especially your ongoing repentance: a continual turning AWAY from sin, drawing CLOSER to God.
Philippians 3:13-16. (Note here Paul has not already attained, but he words this carefully, that it is his ultimate goal, and that perfection is attainable. This is the ongoing act of repentance, and as many as be perfect, do this, think this.:
"Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you."

It is a high calling.

5) Purity. "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure" (1 John 3:2-3) Purity is "Hagnizo" which means to make pure, cleanse, purify oneself morally.
Peter writes this: "This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance" (2 peter 3:1) Who Peter is writing to: "Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 1:1)

""Repentance to be sure must be entire. How many will say, “Sir, I will renounce this sin and the other; but there are certain darling lusts which I must keep and hold.” O sirs, in God’s name let me tell you, it is not the giving up of one sin, nor fifty sins, which is true repentance; it is the solemn renunciation of every sin. If thou dost harbor one of those accursed vipers in thy heart, thy repentance is but a sham. If thou dost indulge in but one lust, and dost give up every other, that one lust, like one leak in a ship, will sink thy soul. Think it not sufficient to give up thy outward vices; fancy it not enough to cut off the more corrupt sins of thy life. It is all or none which God demands. “Repent,” says He; and when He bids you repent, He means repent for all thy sins, otherwise He never can accept thy repentance as being real and genuine." - C.H. Spurgeon

"
I shall next show what Gospel repentance is. Repentance is a grace of God’s Spirit whereby a sinner is inwardly humbled and visibly reformed. For a further amplification, know that repentance is a spiritual medicine made up of six special ingredients:
1. Sight of sin
2. Sorrow for sin
3. Confession of sin
4. Shame for sin
5. Hatred for sin
6. Turning from sin
If any one is left out, it loses its virtue
" - The Doctrine of Repentance, Thomas Watson (1620-1689)

(I add a 7th "ingredient," 7. Turning TO God)

We are saved now from the penalty of sin, by Christ's atoning death. We are saved now from the power of sin by Christ's resurrection and ascension to heaven. We are not yet delivered from the presence of sin: we still get tempted, and we see sin around us, and the sin nature of the flesh is in us, though we do not have to sin because we have the power in us by the Holy Spirit to mortify (put to death) the flesh, and to overcome the world, and sin. But when we inherit the kingdom we will receive glorified bodies, and then will be saved from the very presence of sin. Sin will not exist. It will be eradicated forever.

"By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments." (1 John 5:2)

Read 1 John 2:1-6, Isaiah 45:8-12

"My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: and he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked."

"Drop down, ye heavens, from above,
and let the skies pour down righteousness:
let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation,
and let righteousness spring up together;
I the Lord have created it.
Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker!
Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth.
Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou?
or thy work, He hath no hands?
Woe unto him that saith unto his father, What begettest thou?
or to the woman, What hast thou brought forth?
Thus saith the Lord, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker,
Ask me of things to come concerning my sons,
and concerning the work of my hands command ye me.
I have made the earth, and created man upon it:
I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens,
and all their host have I commanded."