Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I agree working seven days a week would be breaking the Sabbath. But endless repenting isn't the answer either.

Jesus didn't break any of the old testament laws and only Jesus could be that example. People cannot walk sinless, It's finished.
In 1 Peter 2:21-22, we are told to follow Christ's example of refraining from sin, which is not saying that we also need to have sinless obedience. Jesus kept the 7th day holy, so we should also follow his example. In Titus 2:14, it describes what Jesus finished on the cross by saying that he gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law is the way to believe in what Jesus finished on the cross (Acts 21:20).

Do you think working 6 days is a requirement as well? Clearly scripture states to work 6 days.

If someone only works 5 days a week isn't that breaking the commandment also?
Yes, though the Sabbath prohibit creative work, which is not necessarily the same thing as what we do at our job, so there is creative work that we should be doing for 6 days regardless of whether or not that happens to be our job.

Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In 1 Peter 2:21-22, we are told to follow Christ's example of refraining from sin, which is not saying that we also need to have sinless obedience. Jesus kept the 7th day holy, so we should also follow his example. In Titus 2:14, it describes what Jesus finished on the cross by saying that he gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law is the way to believe in what Jesus finished on the cross (Acts 21:20).

Yes, though the Sabbath prohibit creative work, which is not necessarily the same thing as what we do at our job, so there is creative work that we should be doing for 6 days regardless of whether or not that happens to be our job.
Alot of good points you made thanks

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello all you saints,

I have been away for a while, and i am back with a quandary.

I am currently employed as a care worker, and this means that i am almost always working on a Sunday.

I have been doing this job for around one year now, and have never had any conscionable objections to working on a Sunday and not attending church as i beleived that i could choose a day in the week as a sabbath (where i did not go to church, though). I also have been able to attend a church service on a Wednesday often.

However, i came across this verse:

“There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work; wherever you live, it is a sabbath to the LORD.”

Leviticus 23:3.

So i am now wondering if i have been sinning all this time, and if i need to change my work situation so that i can live in accordance with this verse.

I am in the process of starting a Sunday evening service at my church and my employers have agreed to give me every Sunday evening off; however, i would be working every Sunday morning, therefore disqualifying it as a sabbath day for me.

Do you think it would be okay to switch my sabbath day to a Wednesday (where i would attend the weekday service at my church), and i would inform my employers that i cannot work Wednesdays.

Or do you think that it needs to be the same day that the majority of the church gather together?

P.s. i am aware that the jewish sabbath day was not Sunday- but an interesting point as to why it has been changed, and if God is okay with this and if so why.

Thanks a lot,

James.
It hasn’t been changed to Sunday. But it has been put in our hearts as have all that the LORD would have us do. So don’t ignore it and rest from your physical labors on the Seventh Day which is the Sabbath of our Lord God. For in it He rested from all His works. So we who have entered to His rest which is the Gospel in Christ Jesus ALSO cease from our own works AS God did from His. Heb 4:10

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
It hasn’t been changed to Sunday. But it has been put in our hearts as have all that the LORD would have us do. So don’t ignore it and rest from your physical labors on the Seventh Day which is the Sabbath of our Lord God. For in it He rested from all His works. So we who have entered to His rest which is the Gospel in Christ Jesus ALSO cease from our own works AS God did from His. Hen 4:9
*Hebrews 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Hello all you saints,

I am currently employed as a care worker, and this means that i am almost always working on a Sunday.

I have been doing this job for around one year now, and have never had any conscionable objections to working on a Sunday and not attending church as i beleived that i could choose a day in the week as a sabbath (where i did not go to church, though). I also have been able to attend a church service on a Wednesday often.

“There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work; wherever you live, it is a sabbath to the LORD.”

So i am now wondering if i have been sinning all this time, and if i need to change my work situation so that i can live in accordance with this verse.

I am in the process of starting a Sunday evening service at my church and my employers have agreed to give me every Sunday evening off; however, i would be working every Sunday morning, therefore disqualifying it as a sabbath day for me.

Do you think it would be okay to switch my sabbath day to a Wednesday (where i would attend the weekday service at my church), and i would inform my employers that i cannot work Wednesdays.

Or do you think that it needs to be the same day that the majority of the church gather together?

P.s. i am aware that the jewish sabbath day was not Sunday- but an interesting point as to why it has been changed, and if God is okay with this and if so why.

Thanks a lot,

James.
There will be a lot of responses telling you to honor Saturday. You can listen if you want but I believe in Sunday worship because I believe that is what is referred to in Revelations as "The Lords Day" and Jesus rose from the dead on Sunday (The first day of the week) which is why Sunday is when Christians have worshiped for years. I could go on but you'll see there are 10's if not 100's of posts arguing back and forth between Sunday and Saturday and that's not your question and plus I believe God sees the intention and if you genuinely believe it's Saturday or Sunday God will honor whatever of the two you choose.

All that being said if you choose Sunday like I do I would see if your work will give you Sunday off. Pray about it a lot like Nehemiah did before asking the king a favor.

I used to work a limo driving job and sometimes I would have to work into Sunday like 1:00-2:00 am Sunday morning. What I prayed was as soon as I get off work Jesus I will keep track of that and honor 24 hours from that time. So if your work makes you work till 10:00 am then your sabbath is 10:00 am Sunday -10:00 am Monday. If they make you work 9:00 pm Sunday then your sabbath is 9:00 pm Saturday- 9:00 pm Sunday.

This is purely my advice but it is not gospel accurate as if i had my way it would be 12:00 am Sunday- 12:00 am Monday.

If you choose Saturday then swap out the day of Sunday for Saturday and apply what i said.

I recommend praying a lot about this and knowing that it ultimately is between you and God. When you stand before God none of us will be there to say this or that it's you and God and if you are honest with Him and ask for Guidance He will give it. I do not claim to have all the answers just what i've done in life so far.

Reactions: jameshjr
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
There will be a lot of responses telling you to honor Saturday. You can listen if you want but I believe in Sunday worship because I believe that is what is referred to in Revelations as "The Lords Day" and Jesus rose from the dead on Sunday (The first day of the week) which is why Sunday is when Christians have worshiped for years. I could go on but you'll see there are 10's if not 100's of posts arguing back and forth between Sunday and Saturday and that's not your question and plus I believe God sees the intention and if you genuinely believe it's Saturday or Sunday God will honor whatever of the two you choose.

All that being said if you choose Sunday like I do I would see if your work will give you Sunday off. Pray about it a lot like Nehemiah did before asking the king a favor.

I used to work a limo driving job and sometimes I would have to work into Sunday like 1:00-2:00 am Sunday morning. What I prayed was as soon as I get off work Jesus I will keep track of that and honor 24 hours from that time. So if your work makes you work till 10:00 am then your sabbath is 10:00 am Sunday -10:00 am Monday. If they make you work 9:00 pm Sunday then your sabbath is 9:00 pm Saturday- 9:00 pm Sunday.

This is purely my advice but it is not gospel accurate as if i had my way it would be 12:00 am Sunday- 12:00 am Monday.

If you choose Saturday then swap out the day of Sunday for Saturday and apply what i said.

I recommend praying a lot about this and knowing that it ultimately is between you and God. When you stand before God none of us will be there to say this or that it's you and God and if you are honest with Him and ask for Guidance He will give it. I do not claim to have all the answers just what i've done in life so far.
In Mark 7:6-9, Jesus criticized the Pharisees as being hypocrites for setting aside the commands of God in order to establish their own traditions, so there is nothing wrong with someone following their own tradition of worshiping on the 1st day in honor of the resurrection, but that should be done in addition to obeying God's command to keep the 7th day holy, not in place of it. Jesus rose on the Feast of Firstfruits as the firstfruits from the dead, so that was already a day that is rich with relevant symbolism that can be used to honor the resurrection, so there is no need whatsoever to set aside any of God's commands in order to do that. In Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so the way to honor the resurrection is not by disobeying God's law.

If someone acknowledges that God commanded to keep the 7th day holy, but they are going to choose to worship on Sunday instead of obeying what God commanded, then I see no reason to think that God will honor their willful disobedience. There is a difference between that and someone genuinely being wrong. We can't worship God by willfully disobeying His instructions for how to worship Him.

• Agree
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
In Mark 7:6-9, Jesus criticized the Pharisees as being hypocrites for setting aside the commands of God in order to establish their own traditions, so there is nothing wrong with someone following their own tradition of worshiping on the 1st day in honor of the resurrection, but that should be done in addition to obeying God's command to keep the 7th day holy, not in place of it. Jesus rose on the Feast of Firstfruits as the firstfruits from the dead, so that was already a day that is rich with relevant symbolism that can be used to honor the resurrection, so there is no need whatsoever to set aside any of God's commands in order to do that. In Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so the way to honor the resurrection is not by disobeying God's law.

If someone acknowledges that God commanded to keep the 7th day holy, but they are going to choose to worship on Sunday instead of obeying what God commanded, then I see no reason to think that God will honor their willful disobedience. There is a difference between that and someone genuinely being wrong. We can't worship God by willfully disobeying His instructions for how to worship Him.
If someone ignores my reason for keeping Sundays based on scripture i'm not sure what to say, but it is NOT some man made rule I just made up. People have been worshiping on Sundays for thousands of years and it's not because I just felt like worshiping on Sunday a few minutes ago.

Reactions: jameshjr
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
If someone ignores my reason for keeping Sundays based on scripture i'm not sure what to say, but it is NOT some man made rule I just made up.
Sorry, it was not my intention to ignore what you said. The day of the Lord has a specific meaning in Jewish eschatology that refers to day that John was seeking in his vision, not to the day of the week that he happened to have his vision. However, even if he were referring to the day of the week, that does not support that we should worship of Sunday instead of obeying God's command to keep the 7th day holy, and in fact, you did not cite any Scripture that supports that. God did not command anyone to worship Him on Sunday instead of keeping the 7th day holy so that is a tradition that man has made up.

People have been worshiping on Sundays for thousands of years and it's not because I just felt like worshiping on Sunday a few minutes ago.
The Israelites worshipped God on every day including Sunday, so the problem is not with someone following their own tradition of worshiping God on Sunday, but then them hypocritically setting aside God's command to keep the 7th day holy in order to establish their own tradition.

Reactions: Semper-Fi
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello all you saints,

Thanks a lot,

James.
This is what the New Testament says:
"And having disarmed the powers and authorities, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross. Therefore let no one judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a feast, a New Moon, or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the body that casts it belongs to Christ.…" Colossians 2:15-17

"And He asked them, “Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to destroy it?” But they were silent." Mark 3:4

"For the law is only a shadow of the good things to come, not the realities themselves. It can never, by the same sacrifices offered year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship." Hebrews 10:1

Unless, of course, you fall into this category................ "Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it legitimately. We realize that law is not enacted for the righteous, but for the lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinful, for the unholy and profane, for killers of father or mother, for murderers,…" 1 Timothy 1:8 & 9

If you intend to follow the law of Moses, you must obey all the commandments flawlessly. Good luck with that. The point of the law was to prove that we could not keep it. Now it is sensible and right to have a day off work. We need to have a complete break so that we can be refreshed. It's good if we can also meet with the brethren the same day. For some reason where I live, very few churches have evening meetings these days. I think that's a shame as it enables more people to attend on Sunday. Don't allow yourself to come under false guilt. It's OK to work on Sunday. If you can get out of it, then yes, do so. If not, thank the Lord that you have a job and seek ways to have fellowship apart from Sunday meetings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
The point of the law was to prove that we could not keep it.

I pointed out in my earlier post that Colossians 2:14-17 and Hebrews 10:1 make it clear that "the law" being referred to is the handwriting of ordinances, having to do with sacrifices, including the feasts that were called "sabbaths" (also witnessed by the mention of food and drink), not the Ten Commandments. It's right there in the language.

These are just some of the many verses telling us to keep the commandments of God. In mouth of two or three witness every word will be established.

Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
John 14:15, 21 If ye love me, keep my commandments. He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
1 Corinthians 7:19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.
1 John 2:3-5 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
1 John 3:22, 24 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.
1 John 5:2-3 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
Revelation 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Paul called us to keep the commandments of God (from above).

1 Corinthians 7:19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

Take a look at what Paul said in Hebrews 10, after pointing out he was talking about the handwriting of ordinances/shadow of things to come.

Hebrews 10:26-27 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

What is sin? Transgression of the law of God.

You can listen if you want but I believe in Sunday worship because I believe that is what is referred to in Revelations as "The Lords Day" and Jesus rose from the dead on Sunday (The first day of the week) which is why Sunday is when Christians have worshiped for years.

There is no context in the statement in Revelation that points to Sunday.

Revelation 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet...

But we do have mention of the actual day of the Lord in the 4th commandment.

Exodus 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
This is what the New Testament says:
In Acts 17:11, the Bereans were praised because they diligently tested everything that Paul said against OT Scripture in order to see if what he said was true, so OT Scripture is the standard by which we should accept the truth of what he said. For example, in Deuteronomy 13:4-5, the way that God instructed His people to determine that someone is a false prophet who is not speaking for Him was if they taught against obeying His law, so if you interpret Paul as doing that, then according to God, you should regard him as being a false prophet. So you can either think that Paul is a servant of God and that you therefore must have misinterpreted him or you can think that you have correctly understood what he said and that he is therefore not a servant of God, but is is contradictory to think that he is a servant of God and that he also spoke against obeying what God has commanded.

"And having disarmed the powers and authorities, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross. Therefore let no one judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a feast, a New Moon, or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the body that casts it belongs to Christ.…" Colossians 2:15-17
The Colossians were keeping God's holy day in obedience to what God has commanded and in accordance with the example that Christ set for us to follow, they were being judged by pagans who were promoting human teachings and precepts, self-made religion, asceticism, and severity to the body (Colossians 2:20-23), and Paul was encouraging them not to let anyone judge them and keep them from obeying them because they are foreshadows of what is to come. We should live in a way that testifies about what is to come by keeping them rather than a way that denies what is to come.

"And He asked them, “Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to destroy it?” But they were silent." Mark 3:4
The Sabbath has never been intended to be understood as preventing us from saving a life, so that has always been lawful.
Unless, of course, you fall into this category................ "Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it legitimately. We realize that law is not enacted for the righteous, but for the lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinful, for the unholy and profane, for killers of father or mother, for murderers,…" 1 Timothy 1:8 & 9
To say that someone is righteous, such as God, is to say that He is a doer of what is righteous, so it is contradictory to interpret those verses as saying that doing what is righteous is only fore the unrighteous and not for the righteous. In Isaiah 51:7, the righteous are those on whose heart is God's law, so it is not those who are already living righteously who need to be taught instructions for how to do that, but rather those instructions are needed to teach those who are living unrighteously.

If you intend to follow the law of Moses, you must obey all the commandments flawlessly. Good luck with that. The point of the law was to prove that we could not keep it.
The Law of Moses included itself instructions for what to do when the people sinned, so it did not require the people to obey it flawlessly. In Deuteronomy 30:11-20, God's word says that the Mosaic Law is not too difficult to obey and that obedience brings life and a blessing while disobedience brings death and a curse, so choose life! So keeping the Mosaic Law was presented as a possibility and as a choice, not as the need to have flawless obedience, and no where does the Bible state that the point of the law is to prove to us that we could not keep it. It would be pointless to give someone instructions for the purpose of proving to them that they can't follow them. Furthermore, there are a number of examples of people who did keep God's law, such as in Joshua 22:1-3, Luke 1:5-6, and Revelation 22:14.

Now it is sensible and right to have a day off work. We need to have a complete break so that we can be refreshed. It's good if we can also meet with the brethren the same day. For some reason where I live, very few churches have evening meetings these days. I think that's a shame as it enables more people to attend on Sunday. Don't allow yourself to come under false guilt. It's OK to work on Sunday. If you can get out of it, then yes, do so. If not, thank the Lord that you have a job and seek ways to have fellowship apart from Sunday meetings.
It is ok to not attend church on Sunday because God did not command to attend church on Sunday, but commanded to keep the 7th day holy.

Reactions: Semper-Fi
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
In Acts 17:11, the Bereans were praised because they diligently tested everything that Paul said against OT Scripture in order to see if what he said was true, so OT Scripture is the standard by which we should accept the truth of what he said. For example, in Deuteronomy 13:4-5, the way that God instructed His people to determine that someone is a false prophet who is not speaking for Him was if they taught against obeying His law, so if you interpret Paul as doing that, then according to God, you should regard him as being a false prophet. So you can either think that Paul is a servant of God and that you therefore must have misinterpreted him or you can think that you have correctly understood what he said and that he is therefore not a servant of God, but is is contradictory to think that he is a servant of God and that he also spoke against obeying what God has commanded.

The Colossians were keeping God's holy day in obedience to what God has commanded and in accordance with the example that Christ set for us to follow, they were being judged by pagans who were promoting human teachings and precepts, self-made religion, asceticism, and severity to the body (Colossians 2:20-23), and Paul was encouraging them not to let anyone judge them and keep them from obeying them because they are foreshadows of what is to come. We should live in a way that testifies about what is to come by keeping them rather than a way that denies what is to come.

The Sabbath has never been intended to be understood as preventing us from saving a life, so that has always been lawful.

To say that someone is righteous, such as God, is to say that He is a doer of what is righteous, so it is contradictory to interpret those verses as saying that doing what is righteous is only fore the unrighteous and not for the righteous. In Isaiah 51:7, the righteous are those on whose heart is God's law, so it is not those who are already living righteously who need to be taught instructions for how to do that, but rather those instructions are needed to teach those who are living unrighteously.

The Law of Moses included itself instructions for what to do when the people sinned, so it did not require the people to obey it flawlessly. In Deuteronomy 30:11-20, God's word says that the Mosaic Law is not too difficult to obey and that obedience brings life and a blessing while disobedience brings death and a curse, so choose life! So keeping the Mosaic Law was presented as a possibility and as a choice, not as the need to have flawless obedience, and no where does the Bible state that the point of the law is to prove to us that we could not keep it. It would be pointless to give someone instructions for the purpose of proving to them that they can't follow them. Furthermore, there are a number of examples of people who did keep God's law, such as in Joshua 22:1-3, Luke 1:5-6, and Revelation 22:14.

It is ok to not attend church on Sunday because God did not command to attend church on Sunday, but commanded to keep the 7th day holy.
If you are right, Jesus died for nothing. The Law came through Moses, grace and Truth through Jesus. The Law was the covenant God made with Israel, no one else. It's not that people can't keep God's Law. It is that they will not. The heart of man is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked. All the Law does is to expose the desperate condition of man's heart.

You ignore the New Testament, rejecting what Paul and the writer to the Hebrews had to say. By all means, live by the law. Just remember if you break one commandment, you break them all. And it's not a matter of outward observance. You can disobey the Law in your heart yet be outwardly perfect - just like a Pharisee. The letter kills, the Spirit gives life. The law is intended to lead us to Christ. If you are still bound by the Law, you are living as if you have yet to come to Christ. That has to be the most miserable existence, bound by rules you cannot keep and missing out on God's best, the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I pointed out in my earlier post that Colossians 2:14-17 and Hebrews 10:1 make it clear that "the law" being referred to is the handwriting of ordinances, having to do with sacrifices, including the feasts that were called "sabbaths" (also witnessed by the mention of food and drink), not the Ten Commandments. It's right there in the language.

These are just some of the many verses telling us to keep the commandments of God. In mouth of two or three witness every word will be established.

Paul called us to keep the commandments of God (from above).

Take a look at what Paul said in Hebrews 10, after pointing out he was talking about the handwriting of ordinances/shadow of things to come.

What is sin? Transgression of the law of God.

There is no context in the statement in Revelation that points to Sunday.

But we do have mention of the actual day of the Lord in the 4th commandment.
I've been studying God's word for 50 years. I reject the notion that Christians are under the Law of Moses. I spent the first years of my Christian life in the military. There sure was no sabbath observance possible then. According to the Law, I should have been taken out and stoned to death. I'm glad that I'm not subject to any law except the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
If you are right, Jesus died for nothing.
Nothing that I said means that Jesus died for nothing. In Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to believe in what he accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20), while if you are right, then while if you were right, then that would undermine everything that he accomplished.

The Law came through Moses, grace and Truth through Jesus.

In Psalms 119:29-30, David wanted to put false ways far from him, for God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey the Mosaic Law, and he chose the way of faithfulness, so this has always been the one and only way of salvation by grace through faith. Likewise, in Psalms 119:142, the Mosaic Law is truth, so grace and truth came through the Mosaic Law, and Jesus is God's word made flesh, so grace and truth also came through him because he embodied that grace and truth by setting a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to the Mosaic Law.

The Law was the covenant God made with Israel, no one else. It's not that people can't keep God's Law. It is that they will not. The heart of man is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked. All the Law does is to expose the desperate condition of man's heart.
In Matthew 4:15-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and the Mosaic Law was how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Gospel message, which he commissioned his disciples to bring to all nations (Matthew 28:16-20). So Jesus spent his ministry teaching his followers to obey the Mosaic Law by word and by example, and someone can choose whether or not to follow him, but they can't follow him by refusing to follow what he taught. In Deuteronomy 30:11-20, Moses presented a choice between life and a blessing through obedience or death and a curse through disobedience, we have an identical choice in regard to whether or not we are going heed the Gospel message, and some will choose to obey the Mosaic Law, while others will not.

No parents instruct to their children for the purpose of showing them how bad they are at following their instructions, but rather they give instructions to their children for their own good in order to teach them how to rightly live and how to be like them, and this is that much more true for our Heavenly Father (Deuteronomy 6:24, 10:12-13). Nowhere does the Bible say that all the Mosaic Law does is expose the desperate condition of man's heart, but rather it was given to teach us how to walk in God's way (Psalms 103:7).
You ignore the New Testament, rejecting what Paul and the writer to the Hebrews had to say.
The Psalms express an extremely positive attitude towards the Mosaic Law, such as with David repeatedly saying that he loved it and delighted in obeying it, so if we consider the Psalms to be Scripture and to therefore express a correct attitude towards the Mosaic Law, then we will share it, as Paul did (Romans 7:22). For example, according to Psalms 1:1-2, blessed are those who delight in the Law of the Lord and who meditate on it day and night, and we can't uphold the truth of these words as Scripture while not allowing them to shape our attitude towards to Mosaic Law. So it is not that I ignore the NT, but that I interpret the NT as though its authors considered the Psalms to be Scripture, and as though they were not in opposition to Christ and his Gospel.

By all means, live by the law. Just remember if you break one commandment, you break them all. And it's not a matter of outward observance. You can disobey the Law in your heart yet be outwardly perfect - just like a Pharisee. The letter kills, the Spirit gives life. The law is intended to lead us to Christ. If you are still bound by the Law, you are living as if you have yet to come to Christ. That has to be the most miserable existence, bound by rules you cannot keep and missing out on God's best, the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus.

If we beak any law and become a lawbreaker, then we need to repent and return to obedience to the Mosaic Law in accordance with what James 2:1-11 was encouraging them to do.

In Exodus 20:6, God wanted His people to love Him and obey His commandments, so obedience to the Mosaic Law has always been a matter of the heart.

God is not in disagreement with Himself about which laws we should follow, so the Law of Christ is the same as the Law of the Spirit and the Law of the Father, which was given to Moses, which is why Christ spent his ministry teaching his followers to obey, and why the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey it (Ezekiel 36:26-27).

In Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so the Mosaic Law brings us to Christ because it teaches us how to know him, or in other words, how to have a relationship with him. It is absurd to suggest that those who are bond by what Christ taught have yet to come to him and that the way to come to Christ is by refusing to follow what he taught.

Do you believe that with God nothing is impossible...except obeying Him?

I've been studying God's word for 50 years. I reject the notion that Christians are under the Law of Moses. I spent the first years of my Christian life in the military. There sure was no sabbath observance possible then. According to the Law, I should have been taken out and stoned to death. I'm glad that I'm not subject to any law except the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ.

That poor attitude towards the Mosaic Law is incompatible with the attitude towards it that David expressed in the Psalms, which means that you are denying that the Psalms are Scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jameshjr

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2021
Hinckley
✟63,697.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
an update:

Hello all,

Sorry for my absence from this thread. I was overwhelmed by the amount of response, points of view and bible verses.

After considering the matter, based on Acts 20, that going to church on a sunday is acceptable to God. As to whether or not the sabbath is to be observed in accordance with OT law: i have not made up my mind. However, i am leaning towards the fact that it is not, based mainly upon the fact that Jesus is now our rest, accesible at all times.

interestingly, two of my favourite pastors (voddie Bauchamn and John MacArthur) seem to have come to an opposite conclusion to one another on this issue.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
an update:

Hello all,

Sorry for my absence from this thread. I was overwhelmed by the amount of response, points of view and bible verses.

After considering the matter, based on Acts 20, that going to church on a sunday is acceptable to God. As to whether or not the sabbath is to be observed in accordance with OT law: i have not made up my mind. However, i am leaning towards the fact that it is not, based mainly upon the fact that Jesus is now our rest, accesible at all times.

interestingly, two of my favourite pastors (voddie Bauchamn and John MacArthur) seem to have come to an opposite conclusion to one another on this issue.
Hello,

Jesus is God's word made flesh, so the way to come to Jesus for rest is by obeying God's word. Jesus set a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to God's law, including keeping the Sabbath holy, and in Matthew 11:28-30, he was inviting people to come to him for rest and to learn from him, not inviting people to come to him for rest instead of learning from his example. By Jesus saying that we would find rest for our souls, he was referencing Jeremiah 6:16-19, where God's law is described as the good way where we will find rest for our souls. In Hebrews 3-4, they did not enter into God's rest rest because of their unbelief/disobedience and in Ezekiel 20:13, it specifically mentioned that they greatly profaned God's Sabbaths. In Hebrews 4:9-11, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, whoever has enter God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from His, and we should strive to enter into that rest so that no one may fall away by the same sort of disobedience, so there is nothing about the position that Jesus is our rest that means that we should no longer keep the Sabbath holy, but rather no longer keeping the Sabbath holy is refusing to come to him for rest.

Upvote 0

jameshjr

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2021
Hinckley
✟63,697.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hello, thank you for the reply. I acknowledge your points. It seems to be a difficult issue to resolve, with good arguments on both sides.

Here is a quick article from John MacArthur- who gives a more biblical argument than i probably will ever be able to:

For your consideration:

Upvote 0

jameshjr

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2021
Hinckley
✟63,697.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hello, thank you for the reply. I acknowledge your points. It seems to be a difficult issue to resolve, with good arguments on both sides.

Here is a quick article from John MacArthur- who gives a more biblical argument than i probably will ever be able to:

For your consideration:

Here is a longer article by Dr John on the subject:

His point on Colossians 2:16-17 is convincing ,to me

Upvote 0