Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not all sin is the same. There are grievous sins that lead unto spiritual death, and there are minor infractions or hidden faults that do not lead to spiritual death.

The sins are not the same, but the punishment is the same for all sin, including the minor infractions.
This excludes all believers.

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The sins are not the same, but the punishment is the same for all sin.

Well, there is a sin not unto death (See: 1 John 5:16-17). So that’s not true.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, there is a sin not unto death (See: 1 John 5:16-17). So that’s not true.

All sin leads to death except for those of Faith who accept forgiveness.
What that passage is referring to is rejecting God-Jesus-The Holy Spirit.
That is the one sin that you cannot pray for "your brother" and it will be forgiven at your request.
Oh...and the forgiving is from you, by the way.

16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All sin leads to death except for those of Faith who accept forgiveness.
What that passage is referring to is rejecting God-Jesus-The Holy Spirit.
That is the one sin that you cannot pray for "your brother" and it will be forgiven at your request.
Oh...and the forgiving is from you, by the way.

16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

No. How does that work with the context? Why are they praying for this person to have life? The sin not unto death is any grievous sin that a believer is confessing with the hope that they are desiring to overcome that sin. For if the brethren pray, they can ask God and help give life or victory for that believer who is struggling with that sin that they desiring to overcome. The sin unto death would be the opposite of that. It is a believer refusing to confess and forsake their sin. This is in line with the context of the epistle itself and it’s theme.

Compare: 1 John 2:3 with 1 John 2:4.
Compare: 1 John 3:7 with 1 John 3:8.
Compare: 1 John 2:29 with 1 John 3:10.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. How does that work with the context? Why are they praying for this person to have life? The sin not unto death is any grievous sin that a believer is confessing with the hope that they are desiring to overcome that sin. For if the brethren pray, they can ask God and help give life or victory for that believer who is struggling with that sin that they desiring to overcome. The sin unto death would be the opposite of that. It is a believer refusing to confess and forsake their sin. This is in line with the context of the epistle itself and it’s theme.

Compare: 1 John 2:3 with 1 John 2:4.
Compare: 1 John 3:7 with 1 John 3:8.
Compare: 1 John 2:29 with 1 John 3:10.

Yes, I agree... It seems to be that any sin can lead to death if not repented of. Many sins are listed from Matthew to Revelation that could lead to death. Some sins, like lying, seem to be minor, but in Revelation 21:8, we see that ALL liars, and all sinners, will be condemned.

Revelation 21:8 (WEB) But for the cowardly, unbelieving, sinners, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their part is in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

And if someone thinks Christians are exempt... Think again! Christians are under a more stiff penalty than the non-believer for sins committed, since we have the Spirit to guide us, but we resisted the Spirit.

Hebrews 12:25
(WEB) See that you don’t refuse him who speaks. For if they didn’t escape when they refused him who warned on the earth, how much more will WE not escape who turn away from him who warns from heaven

Unless a Christian is walking in the light (righteous and holiness) his sins remain on him. Only as we walk in the light are we cleansed from all sin. That is the test of an authentic faith in Lord Jesus - a demonstration of our love for Him.

1 John 1:6-7 (WEB) 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and don’t tell the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

Any sin leads to death if not repented of, and God will judge His people more severely than a unbeliever for deliberate sin, and does not repent:

Hebrews 10:24-31 (WEB)
24 Let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good works, 25 not forsaking our own assembling together, as the custom of some is, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and a fierceness of fire which will devour the adversaries. 28 A man who disregards Moses’ law dies without compassion on the word of two or three witnesses. 29 How much worse punishment do you think he will be judged worthy of who has trodden under foot the Son of God, and has counted the blood of the covenant with which he was sanctified an unholy thing, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him who said, “Vengeance belongs to me. I will repay,” says the Lord. [Deuteronomy 32:35] Again, “The Lord will judge HIS people.” [Deuteronomy 32:36; Psalm 135:14] 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is heaven and the Kingdom synonymous bc I'm not sure it is, although heaven is a part of it.
It’s because the kingdom of heaven is the full name for heaven.

Mat 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Maranatha

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
A kingdom extends as far as the king's authority. So for example, the kingdom of Britain once included India and the Americas, but these territories weren't Britain proper. God's kingdom includes earth, 'on earth as it is in heaven'

To enter into the kingdom is not the same as 'going to heaven'. We possess the kingdom Rn, 'the kingdom of God is within you', but we aren't yet, 'with the Lord'. Just my opinion.

It’s because the kingdom of heaven is the full name for heaven.

Mat 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Maranatha

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
The light is Christ not our own holiness. But I agree that any sin, if not repented of, leads to death.
Yes, I agree... It seems to be that any sin can lead to death if not repented of. Many sins are listed from Matthew to Revelation that could lead to death. Some sins, like lying, seem to be minor, but in Revelation 21:8, we see that ALL liars, and all sinners, will be condemned.

Revelation 21:8 (WEB) But for the cowardly, unbelieving, sinners, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their part is in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

And if someone thinks Christians are exempt... Think again! Christians are under a more stiff penalty than the non-believer for sins committed, since we have the Spirit to guide us, but we resisted the Spirit.

(WEB) See that you don’t refuse him who speaks. For if they didn’t escape when they refused him who warned on the earth, how much more will WE not escape who turn away from him who warns from heaven

Unless a Christian is walking in the light (righteous and holiness) his sins remain on him. Only as we walk in the light are we cleansed from all sin. That is the test of an authentic faith in Lord Jesus - a demonstration of our love for Him.

1 John 1:6-7 (WEB) 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and don’t tell the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

Any sin leads to death if not repented of, and God will judge His people more severely than a unbeliever for deliberate sin, and does not repent:

24 Let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good works, 25 not forsaking our own assembling together, as the custom of some is, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and a fierceness of fire which will devour the adversaries. 28 A man who disregards Moses’ law dies without compassion on the word of two or three witnesses. 29 How much worse punishment do you think he will be judged worthy of who has trodden under foot the Son of God, and has counted the blood of the covenant with which he was sanctified an unholy thing, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him who said, “Vengeance belongs to me. I will repay,” says the Lord. [Deuteronomy 32:35] Again, “The Lord will judge HIS people.” [Deuteronomy 32:36; Psalm 135:14] 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A kingdom extends as far as the king's authority. So for example, the kingdom of Britain once included India and the Americas, but these territories weren't Britain proper. God's kingdom includes earth, 'on earth as it is in heaven'

To enter into the kingdom is not the same as 'going to heaven'. We possess the kingdom Rn, 'the kingdom of God is within you', but we aren't yet, 'with the Lord'. Just my opinion.

I see the part of the Lord's prayer that says: “Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven” as a future prayer of hoping for the Lord to return so He can bring in the 1,000 year reign of Christ.

One of the best proofs that the Kingdom is a place is in Matthew 25:34.

“Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matthew 25:34-40).

The others (on his left hand) who did not help the poor were told to go away into everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels (Matthew 25:41). So this shows that they are going to a different place (Which contrasts the difference between the other destination which is good).

So what about when Jesus said, “Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.” (Luke 17:21).

I believe Jesus is saying that the finding the Kingdom of God so as to enter it is not possible here upon this Earth by our just going on a hunt for it (like looking in the mountains or trying to build a tall tower up into the clouds), but entering the Kingdom of God in Heaven is within each person because if they abide in Christ, then they abide in the Kingdom because Jesus sits at the right hand of God in the kingdom. This is how genuine faithful believers are seated in heavenly places (Ephesians 2:6).

Currently, I believe all faithful Christians who die today go to Paradise within Sheol (or the realm of the dead) within the heart of the Earth until the Rapture happens. After the Rapture happens, I believe that faithful believers that die from that point on will be taken directly up into Heaven. Faithful believers who die in the tribulation will only stay there temporarily and be resurrected physically upon the Earth to live and reign with Christ a thousand years.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Ananias and Sapphira are proof that salvation is conditional.
If one were to think like a detective and replay the scene over in their mind like a true detective and truly analyze the reality of how things work in the real world, the motivation behind the believers being in fear only makes sense if they could also potentially fall away due to some similar sin. For if Ananias and Sapphira were fakes and they knew that, then they would not experience fear, but they would either feel a sense of justice done, or they would have some kind of pity upon them. If Ananias and Sapphira were safely in the arms of Jesus, then the church would not experience the emotion of fear, but they would either be sad by missing their friends, or they would be rejoicing that their friends are now with God in paradise.

Then we have a different use of the word, 'believer'. To me, 'saved' means —besides released from the bondage of sin— release from the penalty of sin, i.e. the saved one WILL be in heaven, and that by the choice of God from before the foundation of the world. Granted the devil also believes and trembles, the word 'believe' can mean what you take it for. The those chosen by God cannot lose their salvation. Those who THINK themselves believers, saved, chosen by God are not necessarily so. THEY can lose what they thought they had.

Ananias and Sapphira never were saved, not [true] believers, not elect. Or, if they were of the elect, though they were physically killed on earth, their souls were saved, "yet so as by fire." (1 Corinthians 3:15), but I doubt that was the case.

Yes, we really do not know what happened with Simon the sorcerer according to Scripture. But the point I brought him up is that his punishment was not cookie cutter like many believers like to make sin out to be like. They think… sin is death and that’s it. They think all sin is the same and it’s not.

Agreed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I agree with you that lying appears to be a minor sin to most people these days but we know that the Lord clearly condemns this sin in Revelation 21:8. So of course we should never lie otherwise we put at risk our own souls unless we confess and forsake such a thing.

We know that 1 John 5:16-17 declares that there is a sin not unto death. So if this is the case, we should expect to see other testimonies of this kind of thing in God's Word.

“Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:19).​

This was said by the Lord Jesus at the sermon on the mount. Jesus was not referring to the 613 Torah laws but He was referring to the New Commands He was giving at the sermon on the mount, etc.; Granted, I am not encouraging anyone to break the Lord's commands (even the commands that do not appear to be a major violation of loving God and others), but our Lord's words have to still hold true in Matthew 5:19. Meaning, there are going to be believers who are in the Kingdom and they taught others that they could break the least of Jesus' commandments. How can they be in the kingdom?

Anyways, we know sin is the transgression of the Law (or commandment) (1 John 3:4). The reason why I say that not all sin is the same is because it takes time for believers to study and learn and apply all of God's commands in the New Testament over their lifetime. There are about 400 some commands in the New Testament (According to my own personal in-depth study). To not know and apply all of them means one is condemned. This means they would be condemned before they knew of God's commands. So I believe that is why not all sin condemns. A person would in a short time in their life be unsaved after they accepted God's grace. This is why I see Sanctification as a process (or progressive), and not as a “zero to hero overnight thing.”

Jesus said in John 12:48 that if we do not receive His words, those words will judge us on the last day. So I believe it is only “our not receiving His written words” that can judge us. We cannot be judged for something Jesus did not specifically say, nor can we be condemned for a minor transgression or fault that He did not specifically condemn with warnings of hellfire.

Side Note:

I also believe some Christians can drink socially without getting drunk without it condemning them, but I believe that if they know the truth about the destructive nature of alcohol (like myself), they would not be able to in good conscience be able to drink it socially (Unless it was used for an emergency medical reason to ease pain like with a bleeding leg that was cut open really bad or something, etc.). So I see alcohol as a sin that condemns depending on the person’s awareness of that drink and or it’s use. We see King David was able to eat the showbread and not be condemned and yet only priests were allowed to eat the showbread. Yet, David and his men were not condemned. When the OT was in effect before the cross, the observing of the Saturday Sabbath was a binding command at that time (Which is not the case under the New Covenant). But at that time, one could help a man’s animal out of a ditch on the Sabbath and it would not be a violation of the Sabbath because that kind of work was done in love towards helping one’s neighbor and their animal. In other words, we have to realize that everything hinges on love in the New Testament. If we are acting out of love in desiring to love God and others truly with a pure heart by preaching the gospel, helping the poor, teaching the brethren, etc. than we will not be condemned if we are not setting out to justify any known sin. We will want to know more about God’s Word, and talk to Him and seek how to please Him more. But we will not be perfect at the starting gate. We need God’s grace to get us to the point with God that we are entirely in His will at all times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean by 'spiritual death' if not Gehenna?
In historical teachings I'm familiar with, spiritual death, sometimes called the "death of the soul" is what Adam & Eve and all their descendants experienced due to their "orignal sin" of disobedeince. They opted for freedom or autonomy from God's authority, denying His godhood-and that's what they got. That separation from God is the essence of the state called orignal sin and is the reason we don't know God when we're born. The reason we must be born again is because we're born dead, so to speak. This is why our rebirth consists in coming to know God-again-as man is meant to know Him in order for truth and justice to reign in us and to truly have life.
"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." John 17:3

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then we have a different use of the word, 'believer'. To me, 'saved' means —besides released from the bondage of sin— release from the penalty of sin, i.e. the saved one WILL be in heaven, and that by the choice of God from before the foundation of the world. Granted the devil also believes and trembles, the word 'believe' can mean what you take it for. The those chosen by God cannot lose their salvation. Those who THINK themselves believers, saved, chosen by God are not necessarily so. THEY can lose what they thought they had.

I believe that a believer is saved from the penalty of past sin only when they first come to the Lord Jesus by asking Him to forgive them of their past life of sin, and in trusting in the gospel in that He died for their sins, He was buried, and risen three days later on their behalf for their salvation, and when they invited Christ to come into their life as their Savior.

But if any new sin is accrued or takes place, then a believer must confess and forsake those new sins in order to have mercy and forgiveness over those specific new sins. Otherwise, it would be turning God’s grace into a license for immorality.

“For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.” (Jude 1:4).

For example: In an LA Fitness Gym in Pennsylvania on August 4, 2009, a man named George Sodini fired 50 rounds into an aerobic class before turning the gun on himself. The shooting resulted four deaths (including Sodini himself) and nine injured. George Sodini was a member of the Tetelestai Church where he sat quietly for many years, listening to his preacher. Talking about the pastor of his Church, Sodini wrote in his blog dated Dec. 31, 2008,

“this guy” (Alan “Rick” Knapp) “teaches (and convinced me) you can commit mass murder then still go to heaven. Ask him.“

And in a post dated August 3, 2009, Sodini said;

“Maybe soon, I will see God and Jesus. At least that is what I was told. Eternal life does NOT depend on works. If it did, we will all be in hell. Christ paid for every sin, so how can I or you be judged by GOD for a sin when the penalty was already paid. People judge but that does not matter. I was reading the Bible and The Integrity of God beginning yesterday, because soon I will see them.”​

This is the problem I see in thinking future sin is forgiven us or that we can commit grievous sin and still be saved on some level.

Also, check out the verses in this thread here, as well.

The Bible teaches only past sins are forgiven us (not future sins).

You said:
Ananias and Sapphira never were saved, not [true] believers, not elect.

This was the result of what happened when Ananias and Sapphira were condemned to death by God.

“And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.” (Acts of the Apostles 5:11).

Okay. Think like a detective here. Investigate this scene and the motivations behind WHY they felt the way they did. Does their emotions line up with what you are saying? I don’t believe so. A great fear by the church only works if they knew a similar sin of some kind can happen to them in that it could condemn them also. That is why they were in fear. It is the only logical deduction. Why would they be in fear over fake believers? They wouldn’t. The emotion of fear does not make any sense if that is the scenario you are painting.

You said:
Or, if they were of the elect, though they were physically killed on earth, their souls were saved, "yet so as by fire." (1 Corinthians 3:15), but I doubt that was the case.

In regards to the parable of the building,
and it's materials in 1 Corinthians 3:

Well, Paul says before the parable, “you are God's building.”
So we are the materials that make up the building.

The work is not referring to just any kind of general actions of a believer like good fruit (any kind of good fruit) and evil fruit (sin). The work is referring to those believers we bring to the faith and their eternal status with God (i.e. what kind of building materials are they made up of). The Parable is talking about Paul's work (Which is the Corinthians in this instance).

I believe Paul and the other apostles are a part of the foundation with Christ being the chief cornerstone or the ultimate baseline foundation (Ephesians 2:20), and that Paul's work in the gospel are the result of the Corinthians being initially saved by the gospel. However, Paul is now concerned that his labor in the gospel (concerning them) is now in vain because the Corinthians are now working the sins of strife and envying (Note: Paul condemns the sins of strife and envying when writing to the Galatians (Galatians 5:19-21). Paul says that they which do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God). In Galatians 4:11, Paul was concerned for the Galatians in that they were going back to the Old Law so as to be justified or saved. He was concerned that his labor for the gospel was in vain for the Galatians.

So the parable speaks of how his labor for the gospel (concerning the Corinthians) was now possibly in vain for them, too.

#1. The chief cornerstone foundation = Jesus Christ.
#2. Built as a part of the foundation on top of Christ = The apostles (including Paul, etc.) (Ephesians 2:20).
#3. The actual building materials of the tower or building = God's people (In this instance it would be the Corinthians).
#4. The Corinthians would be like: Wood, hay, and stubble in this particular point in time within their life while they abided in their sins of strife, and envying (Which are sins that will cause a person to not inherit the Kingdom of God).
Wood, hay, and stubble are not materials that could survive a fire.
#5. Paul (the soul winner, and builder of the gospel and builder upon the foundation of Jesus Christ) would be saved through the fire (despite his work - i.e. the Corinthians being his work) would be burned up because of their sins. For Paul then says that if any man defiles the temple, God will destroy them (Meaning: God will destroy the Corinthians if they do not repent of their sins). We are the temple of God. Our bodies are the temples of God. If we as believers defile our temples by sin, God will destroy us (i.e. condemn us).​

This is what I believe the parable is saying. The works of Paul that will be burned are the Corinthians if they do not repent of their sins of strife and envy (1 Corinthians 3:3). The Corinthians at this point in time are not saved and they will be burned up in the fire and destroyed by God if they don't seek forgiveness with the Lord and turn from their sins of strife and envy. Paul, the apostles, or the gospel preacher is the one who will be saved through fire if his work (the Corinthians) is burned up (on the account of their justifying sin). The parable is not talking about how a believer can sin and still be saved as long as they have a belief on Jesus. It's actually teaching the exact opposite of that. One cannot build sin as a work upon the foundation of Jesus Christ. Jesus did not advocate sin, and neither did He teach that a person can continue to sin and still be saved.

Yes, we are initially and foundationally saved by God's grace, but believers cannot justify sin, and they have to be fruitful for their Lord and live holy as a part of the Sanctification Process.
For Hebrews 12:14-15 says,

“14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness,
without which no man shall see the Lord:
15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;”
(Hebrews 12:14-15).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with you that lying appears to be a minor sin to most people these days but we know that the Lord clearly condemns this sin in Revelation 21:8. So of course we should never lie otherwise we put at risk our own souls unless we confess and forsake such a thing.

We know that 1 John 5:16-17 declares that there is a sin not unto death. So if this is the case, we should expect to see other testimonies of this kind of thing in God's Word.

“Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:19).​

This was said by the Lord Jesus at the sermon on the mount. Jesus was not referring to the 613 Torah laws but He was referring to the New Commands He was giving at the sermon on the mount, etc.; Granted, I am not encouraging anyone to break the Lord's commands (even the commands that do not appear to be a major violation of loving God and others), but our Lord's words have to still hold true in Matthew 5:19. Meaning, there are going to be believers who are in the Kingdom and they taught others that they could break the least of Jesus' commandments. How can they be in the kingdom?

Anyways, we know sin is the transgression of the Law (or commandment) (1 John 3:4). The reason why I say that not all sin is the same is because it takes time for believers to study and learn and apply all of God's commands in the New Testament over their lifetime. There are about 400 some commands in the New Testament (According to my own personal in-depth study). To not know and apply all of them means one is condemned. This means they would be condemned before they knew of God's commands. So I believe that is why not all sin condemns. A person would in a short time in their life be unsaved after they accepted God's grace. This is why I see Sanctification as a process (or progressive), and not as a “zero to hero overnight thing.”

Jesus said in John 12:48 that if we do not receive His words, those words will judge us on the last day. So I believe it is only “our not receiving His written words” that can judge us. We cannot be judged for something Jesus did not specifically say, nor can we be condemned for a minor transgression or fault that He did not specifically condemn with warnings of hellfire.

Side Note:

I also believe some Christians can drink socially without getting drunk without it condemning them, but I believe that if they know the truth about the destructive nature of alcohol, they would not be able to in good conscience be able to drink it (Unless it was used for an emergency medical reason to ease pain with bleeding leg that was cut open really bad or something, etc.). So I see alcohol as a sin that condemns depending on the person’s awareness of that drink and or it’s use. We see King David was able to eat the showbread and not be condemned and yet only priests were allowed to eat the showbread. Yet, David and his men were not condemned. When the OT was in effect before the cross, the observing of the Saturday Sabbath was binding command at that time (Which is not the case under the New Covenant). But at that time, one could help a man’s animal out of a ditch on the Sabbath and it would not be a violation of the Sabbath because that kind of work was done in love towards helping one’s neighbor and their animal. In other words, we have to realize that everything hinges on love in the New Testament. If we are acting out of love in desiring to love God and others truly with a pure heart by preaching the gospel, helping the poor, teaching the brethren, etc. than we will not be condemned if we are not setting out to justify any known sin. We will want to know more about God’s Word, and talk to Him and seek how to please Him more. But we will not be perfect at the starting gate. We need God’s grace to get us to the point with God that we are entirely in His will at all times.

Hi Bible Highlighter. Good day to you. My feeling is that all the commands of Lord Jesus, and all the instruction on the faith of the Gospel in the rest of the NT, can be summed up as follows:

A Gospel Faith by which God saves us includes repentance, and so is demonstrated by a continuous renouncing (dying to, crucifying, putting off, putting to death) the Old Master of sinful passions, and then be committed to following (continuous) Lord Jesus into a sanctified life of righteousness and love. This begins the new life in Christ Jesus and is synonymous with living and walking by the Spirit.

Here is how the Apostle Paul sums up a true Gospel Faith in Lord Jesus, although the NT is full of similar statements.

Galatians 5:24-25 (WEB)
24 Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let’s also walk by the Spirit.

Blessings

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The light is Christ not our own holiness. But I agree that any sin, if not repented of, leads to death.

True, but as Scripture states, the faith Lord Jesus commands of us is one in which we are to deny self (crucify, put to death, put off, renounce the old master of sinful passions), pick up our cross and follow Lord Jesus to have life.

24 Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let’s also walk by the Spirit.

The faith of the Gospel always include repentance, and is what Baptism represents - dying to the old master, and now rising to follow Lord Jesus.

1 John 2:4-6 (WEB) 4 One who says, “I know him,” and doesn’t keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth isn’t in him. 5 But God’s love has most certainly been perfected in whoever keeps his word. This is how we know that we are in him: 6 he who says he remains in him ought himself also to walk just like he walked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Bible Highlighter. Good day to you. My feeling is that all the commands of Lord Jesus, and all the instruction on the faith of the Gospel in the rest of the NT, can be summed up as follows:

A Gospel Faith by which God saves us includes repentance, and so is demonstrated by a continuous renouncing (dying to, crucifying, putting off, putting to death) the Old Master of sinful passions, and then be committed to following (continuous) Lord Jesus into a sanctified life of righteousness and love. This begins the new life in Christ Jesus and is synonymous with living and walking by the Spirit.

Here is how the Apostle Paul sums up a true Gospel Faith in Lord Jesus, although the NT is full of similar statements.

Blessings

Thank you for the warm greetings. I also would agree with what you said here whole heartedly, brother.

A great Christian movie that is all about the Christian life in dying for the faith (dying to ourselves) is Polycarp. I would highly recommend this film if you have not seen it. It is very touching, and gives us a possible idea of what it may have been like for the early church.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the warm greetings. I also would agree with what you said here whole heartedly, brother.

A great Christian movie that is all about the Christian life in dying for the faith (dying to ourselves) is Polycarp. I would highly recommend this film if you have not seen it. It is very touching, and gives us a possible idea of what it may have been like for the early church.

Yes, I seen that movie advertised in the past, but never actually viewed it yet. I will definitely have to see it now.

The movie can be viewed on youtube.

Blessings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I seen that movie advertised in the past, but never actually viewed it yet. I will definitely have to see it now. Blessings.

If you are interested, here are my top favorite list of other Christian films (DVDs) that I believe that seek to either inspire one to follow Jesus, His Word, or that has a truly positive biblical message.

My Top Favorite Christian DVDs.
Includes trailers, poster artwork, etc.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Bible Highlighter , I'm struggling to understand how a person can be in communion with God with even minor sins?

Well, we have to be careful on whether or not it truly is a minor sin or not. As we know, lying can be considered a minor sin by men, and yet to God, this kind of sin leads to the Lake of Fire. I am also not encouraging you or anyone to just seek to break any of God’s laws just because they appear to be a minor sin or fault before God, either. I would encourage all believers to obey in everything they can in all ways to the pleasing of our Lord (According to His Word and their conscience before God). My point is that if we fall short of certain commands by God and we do not realize it, I don’t believe the Lord will condemn us (As long as that command has no warnings of hellfire or condemnation attached to it, and or as long as that command does not appear to be a major violation of loving God and others). There are 400 plus commands in the New Testament. Can we honestly say that believers are obeying them all especially right after they got initially saved by the Lord? I don’t believe they are even aware of them let alone are they obeying them. Sin is transgression of the Law or commandment (1 John 3:4). So it takes time to obey. God gives us His grace to obey. Granted, I believe there are sins that the Bible clearly condemns with warnings of hellfire, and or condemnation of one’s soul, and some of those can be difficult to obey at times. God knows that there are a lot of ways away from Him. I don’t think He would make it nearly impossible to obey Him or to be in His will. I believe there are different stages of the believer’s life that they have to go through in their walk with the Lord.

But how can a believer be in communion with God if they are say….going 1 mile per hour over the speed limit when no lives are at risk? What about Matthew 5:19? There are those who are called least in the kingdom of the Heaven for teaching that one can break the least of the commandments (i.e. the least or lesser commandments of the Lord Jesus). How did they get in the kingdom? Think of it like this. Do you believe all crimes today deserve the same exact punishment? I mean, do you think a person should go to jail for going 1 mile over the speed limit? What about if they murder? Surely they should go to jail because they are a threat to society. See the difference? Also the severity of their crime demands a more severe punishment. God is also into fair justice.

“But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.” (Luke 12:48).

Upvote 0