North Dakota -- Gettin' Tough on Abortion!

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟378,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I got pregnant twice while on the pill - different versions even.

Maybe the rates are skewed by multiple pregnancies by the same person - perhaps that person's body reacts differently to the birth control.

Just throwing that out there.

Drug interactions are an issue with the pill. Anyone on BCPs needs to know that taking certain other medications can reduce their effectiveness. Some really common ones too: tetracyclines taken for acne, amoxicillin, nystatin for yeast infections, Fioricet for headaches, seizure meds like phenobarb and Tegretol, Xanax, and also the herbal supplement St. John's wort. There's the potential with all of these for an unwanted surprise.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Drug interactions are an issue with the pill. Anyone on BCPs needs to know that taking certain other medications can reduce their effectiveness. Some really common ones too: tetracyclines taken for acne, amoxicillin, nystatin for yeast infections, Fioricet for headaches, seizure meds like phenobarb and Tegretol, Xanax, and also the herbal supplement St. John's wort. There's the potential with all of these for an unwanted surprise.

I've been on antibiotics exactly three times in my life. And I wasn't on the pill at the time. I've taken Ibuprofen while on the pill and that's pretty much it. I just don't think the pill worked for me.

But I understand what you're saying, too. Every drug interacts with another in weird ways.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm glad to see we're in agreement; the top answer is:
Unless a star rose in the East, your little cousin is not telling the whole truth. If that "messing around" included any penetration or [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], it was certainly sufficient to cause of a pregnancy. Unless she inserted a turkey basting device filled with sperm or secretly had in vitro, she is lying or certainly in serious denial. Ask her how else sperm may have made it into her vagina, up her Fallopian tubes, and greeted a waiting egg? Sperm does not walk across the carpet, swim up a leg, circumvent the underwear, and seek out an egg all by itself. Let her tell her story. You know it is a bunch of baloney, but now that she has a baby, it would be better to focus on this new little life, than that little lie.
Penetration is not necessary for pregnancy to occur. The penis exudes sperm prior to [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] in the form of pre-[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], so you can get a girl pregnant with neither sex nor [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse].

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Then, to rephrase, absent miraculous intervention, 100% of the time that a woman has no sexual contact with a man, that woman will not get pregnant. Agree or disagree?
Disagree: IVF does not involve sexual contact, unless the sheer act of conception is 'sexual contact', in which case it's simply tautologous.

If a woman doesn't come into contact with sperm, she will not get pregnant. Sexual contact is the usual method of contact, but non-sexual ones exist too, be they deliberate and medical (e.g., IVF), or accidental ("I tripped and fell", however unlikely, would suffice).

Absent sexual contact, odds of pregnancy are far closer to 100%, sure, but as a scientist I cannot commit to absolute certainty.

Upvote 0

quilbilly

Aug 7, 2012
✟8,100.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Why does the sex of the doctor matter :scratch:

I was assuming that IVF would consist of some sort of contact. I suppose it could be argued that its not sexual contact

By the way. The only time I'm aware of "oops I tripped and fell into a woman was to Bruce Willis wife on the last boyscout and she didn't become pregnant

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟929,936.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Then, to rephrase, absent miraculous intervention, 100% of the time that a woman has no sexual contact with a man, that woman will not get pregnant. Agree or disagree?

Let's just agree that a lack of sexual intercourse greatly reduces the likelihood of pregnancy and move on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Indeed.

As ever, if Christian anti-abortionists are so keen on stopping the death of "babies", the most efficient thing they could do would be to convince their god to stop letting so many go to waste.

So let me get this straight: Miscarriages occur naturally, so there should be no laws against abortion.

So since people die naturally from old age, disease, injuries, etc. there should be no laws against murder?

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟82,747.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
So let me get this straight: Miscarriages occur naturally, so there should be no laws against abortion.

So since people die naturally from old age, disease, injuries, etc. there should be no laws against murder?

Not really my argument. No naturalistic fallacies here.

I simply take Christians at their word when they say God is in control of everything.

I just wish they'd be consistent and treat their deity like the ultimate abortionist he is :)

Upvote 0

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Miscarriages do happen yeah. That may or may not be through some fault or other (diet, whatever), but abortion isn't the same thing. The end result seems similar, but one involves the intent to destroy the fetus, baby, whatever you want to call it at this point. The other isn't on purpose or even with intent to destroy, usually.

I may be wrong on that one. Though I don't know why any women would willingly want to go through a miscarriage outside of abortion (not saying they're the same thing but I'm just clarifying here).

Miscarriages can occur naturally. Abortion doesn't.
Oh, and to be perfectly clear, I'm talking of abortion as the procedure to remove the fetus in some fashion, not the 'the egg was 'aborted' from the female body naturally' thing.

Yeah I think I had a point somewhere but now I'm just too tired to make sense anymore.
Gimme a day, eheh.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Miscarriages do happen yeah. That may or may not be through some fault or other (diet, whatever), but abortion isn't the same thing. The end result seems similar, but one involves the intent to destroy the fetus, baby, whatever you want to call it at this point. The other isn't on purpose or even with intent to destroy, usually.
'Abortion' refers to any termination of pregnancy, whether intentional or not.

Upvote 0