North Dakota -- Gettin' Tough on Abortion!

ActionJ

Beware ... not really a " Chr
Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Good news for lovers of humans and lovers of life.

It's not written in stone yet but it does appear that North Dakota is starting to screw its collective head on straight where abortion is concerned. It appears that they're enacting some pretty tough, pro-baby laws and making it more difficult to simply cast lives aside.

ND lawmakers define life as starting at conception

Of course, they have an uphill battle ahead. We can be sure that the anti-lifers will fight against a baby's right to life in the higher state and federal courts. There are plenty of activist judges eager to shoot down North Dakota's pro-baby stance.

gnomon

Nov 13, 2007
✟797.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I can't wait to see that righteousness when your form of Christians wins the day. Will women be hauled up for having a bad diet resulting in miscarriages?

Human rights begin at the point of conception. Please. How stupid are people going to get. Millions of fertilized eggs, or right enabled citizens if a few in ND get their way, flushed away through a natural process. Or a God created process for some of you.

And now a State reaping the benefit of a budget surplus due to a recent oil boom but suffering from higher crime and a rapidly declining infrastructure may face the prospect of blowing its budget defending bad ideas based on supernatural nonsense.

Is this a proper "battle front" for Jesus? Line up the troops? Get some militaristic metaphors ready to go in the spiritual warfare?

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Human rights begin at the point of conception. Please. How stupid are people going to get. Millions of fertilized eggs, or right enabled citizens if a few in ND get their way, flushed away through a natural process. Or a God created process for some of you.

Indeed.

As ever, if Christian anti-abortionists are so keen on stopping the death of "babies", the most efficient thing they could do would be to convince their god to stop letting so many go to waste.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Anti-human claptrap (the 'pro-lifers' that is).

On the other hand, if they say the word 'baby' a few more times it might become correct. Warm fuzzies are always an indication of truth.

(How is calling a bunch of cells a baby anything other than nonsense?)

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Anti-human claptrap (the 'pro-lifers' that is).

On the other hand, if they say the word 'baby' a few more times it might become correct. Warm fuzzies are always an indication of truth.

(How is calling a bunch of cells a baby anything other than nonsense?)

Would you consider yourself "a bunch of cells?" Are you worth more than an unborn baby? If so ... why? What's the difference between a human baby in the womb and a human baby fresh out of the womb?

Upvote 0
A

Adaephon

There are many battle fronts. Christians need to fight for righteousness in all cases.

So where's the Christian crusade against drunkenness, inappropriate contentography, marijuana, masturbation and no-fault divorce? You know, all the things which are so much more prevalent and serious attacks on national righteousness?

Oh yeah, conservative christian men can't be bothered to condemn things they do, because that might require them to stop being hypocrites. Much easier to just attack women.

Upvote 0

gnomon

Nov 13, 2007
✟797.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Would you consider yourself "a bunch of cells?" Are you worth more than an unborn baby? If so ... why? What's the difference between a human baby in the womb and a human baby fresh out of the womb?

I'm more than a bunch of cells.

I'm a bunch of cells with even more cells that do not share my DNA living inside my gut, my eyelashes, on my skin, in my mouth.....all necessary to maintain my life. Except maybe those with eyelashes.

For all we know we are nothing more than an evolved food platter for E. coli. and up to another 1000 species in our gut.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
=Adaephon;62693799]So where's the Christian crusade against drunkenness, inappropriate contentography, marijuana, masturbation and no-fault divorce? You know, all the things which are so much more prevalent and serious attacks on national righteousness?

I think tackling serial murder trumps the other issues you mentioned and I don't believe that ending manslaughter is just a "Christian" issue. It should be an important issue for anyone who considers himself or herself civilized and sane.

Oh yeah, conservative christian men can't be bothered to condemn things they do, because that might require them to stop being hypocrites. Much easier to just attack women.

Saving a baby is "attacking" a woman? That's some pretty skewed thinkin' ya got there Elmer. When a baby dies who got attacked?

By the way ... I am a recovered alcoholic and drug addict. Thanks to the kindness and patience of some Christians I was able to turn to God for the help I needed to end those addictions.

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
I'm more than a bunch of cells.

I'm a bunch of cells with even more cells that do not share my DNA living inside my gut, my eyelashes, on my skin, in my mouth.....all necessary to maintain my life. Except maybe those with eyelashes.

For all we know we are nothing more than an evolved food platter for E. coli. and up to another 1000 species in our gut.

^^^intelligentsia in action^^^

If you believe your own words then you agree that we should all just be allowed to "abort" each other for any reason under the sun. If I don't like my boss I can just abort him.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think tackling serial murder

One have to first illustrate that there is any murder taking place. A fetus is not a human being at conception empirically speaking, but it certainly cannot be considered a human being just after birth but not just before. The advent of personhood exists in between, namely when they gain that which separates something from merely being human and being a human being. That thing is human thought. At that point in development, I would consider abortion murder, save valid medical reasons (risk to the mother or fetus' health)

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
One have to first illustrate that there is any murder taking place. A fetus is not a human being at conception empirically speaking, but it certainly cannot be considered a human being just after birth but not just before. The advent of personhood exists in between, namely when they gain that which separates something from merely being human and being a human being. That thing is human thought. At that point in development, I would consider abortion murder, save valid medical reasons (risk to the mother or fetus' health)

Well ... a fetus that is growing and "alive" in a woman's womb isn't a wolf, monkey, or eagle so we have to conclude that it's human. I suppose DNA could sort that out for us. What happens when you put something that is "alive" to death? If you answered: "you ended its life" then you are correct and get a gold star. Abortion ends a beating heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
600px-Nuvola_apps_important_yellows.png

MOD HAT ON

Thread has been moved to Ethics & Morality, where abortion can actually be discussed

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
M

muslimsoldier4life

First off, I support the right for a woman to get an abortion; provided it's using her finances and not my tax dollars for it.

However, one thing I cant' shake my head around here. Allot of people who lean slightly left in their beliefs(there are not true "liberals" in the US) that support abortion(no matter the stage), also are against the death penalty. I'm trying to figure that one out. You claim an innocent life can be taken with the death penalty, but have no qualms saying a baby that has yet to be born is not an innocent life because it hasn't breathed outside of it's mother's womb. Again, this logic baffles me but it's okay.

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
I never understood why people place such high value purely on biological life.
A self-aware entity, a feeling, thinking being I agree we should place the highest value on. But why a simple biological life form?

Because it's an integral part of the human existence. Every, last human on planet earth had to experience that part of life before moving on to the next part of life. It's part of who we are as humans. Without the early stages of "life" there can be no future stages of "life." So to put an end to any stage of life is to put an end to life and to cut short a human's existence.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Because it's an integral part of the human existence. Every, last human on planet earth had to experience that part of life before moving on to the next part of life. It's part of who we are as humans. Without the early stages of "life" there can be no future stages of "life." So to put an end to any stage of life is to put an end to life and to cut short a human's existence.
We were all also sperm. Does that mean each [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] is genocide on an unprecedented scale? Of course not. 'Precursor to' is not the same as 'is'.

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
We were all also sperm. Does that mean each [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] is genocide on an unprecedented scale? Of course not. 'Precursor to' is not the same as 'is'.

A human life begins when an egg is fertilized and the growth/life process begins. Sperm or eggs on their own are basically inert so your argument is non sequitur.

Upvote 0