Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know some of the men at church the young ones arranged flats with each other but not the women..as there dont seem to be many christian women in mine as its an okder congregation and tend to live with their fmailies or its just they going to marry or are married or widowed or whatever.

In nz its mostly mixed flatting situations. I flatted for about 2 and ahalf years with a lady and her two children, a boy and a girl. Her bf used to stay over and eventually she moved out with him, they had a baby togethrr and THEN they got married lol.

• Informative
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
No, this was in a US city. It had been an upscale part of the city 40 years earlier. Now it was middle class and only 2 blocks to a lower class neighborhood. Yes, it was a very big house. We had Bible studies in it with 60 people packed in the living room foyer. There was little alone time, not a lot of quiet time. People around most of the time.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
But she technivally owned the house although i wasnt paying board as i cooked all my own meals etc. she gave the house up to housing corp. i wasnt eligble for housing corp.

Housing corp is usually only for low income families who desperately need a house, it was much easier decades ago to apply for housing from the govt. they call it state house here.

Now not many state houses available all they all in dead end towns where theres no work.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, this was in a US city. It had been an upscale part of the city 40 years earlier. Now it was middle class and only 2 blocks to a lower class neighborhood. Yes, it was a very big house. We had Bible studies in it with 60 people packed in the living room foyer. There was little alone time, not a lot of quiet time. People around most of the time.
Yea i can imagine.

I know of one missionary couple who always host international students they have quite a big house. But they dont stay for long only for their studies. They share the gospel with them thats how many become christians.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
One of friends at church her son whos about the same age as me is flatting and he hates it she says cos they had to get another flatmate after one moved out and hes got a nother friend (male) and two women. The gals are terrible at housekeeping she says.

The lads had to get their own fridge as the gals wouldnt clean it.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
For a single i think the only accomdation where you can truly have your own space and you dont want to live in a poky apartment and be subjected to body corporates(in nyc they have a thing called rent control so they arent constantly raising the rent) is to buy a campervan or trailer home.

Of course you cant camp out in the city or put your campervan in the carpark in the city which you would be paying $16 a day to have a space. Imagine going to work and then going back to living in the carpark lol

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is because many companies dont care about their workers hosuing situatuons. It used to be if you were a doctor or a nurse, youd have nurses and doctors flats by the hospital. Especially for the people working there.

Or if you were a teacher at the university they would provide you with accomodation.

If you work as a miner in australia i heard they give you accomodation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If your work in hospitality often the hotels domt provide you with accomodation lol. You have to flat somehwere else they aint gonna give you a room in the hotel. Thers many jobs going at queenstown for hospitality but the newsppaer is jam packed full of people looking for flats and flatmates they cant afford to actually live there themselves (or own any house)

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟211,043.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
When i worked in the public library they changed it so only the managers could have a free car park. It sucks having to pay for parking i tell you on a workers wage.

What does this have to do with nuns and monks? I'm confused as to just what this thread is supposed to be about as most of it seems to be unrelated to the title. :scratch:

Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟102,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Where in my answer was I snarky to you? Lol my answer was on topic tto what is being discussed. I come from a poor/ working class background. In the real adult world, if you can't afford to live independently and on your own, y ou room with roommates and split costs. You have an income from a job, in order to live independently. The alternative is to live at home with parents. But, that is not very fun if you are older and single. It makes you dependent. That is what happens in reality.

And yes, I have flatted with three Christian girls from my church. We all had jobs, and rent was extremely low between us. The church didn't arrange it, we were just friends that wanted to save money. It worked!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
if you went to a bible college it would be easy to find accommodation in student flats with other believers. But I am past the stage of wanting to stay in student flats now.

besides thats not really living on your own and often you may have to share a room. sharing a bathroom also can get annoying.

Also it cannot be too far from workplace or study as then you have to find room to park all your cars.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I heard of a place called L'abri but I dont know if its still there. In the 60s it was like a hippie travellers hangout or outreach in switzerland.

And theres ymca and ywca but not really sure if theyve just become generic gyms.

For singles who are not students or catholic monks and nuns there doesnt seem to be many options, landlords arent always going to be christians and Im not sure it is exactly christian to charge people rent. (And make profit from it)

I dont know if kibbutzes still exist.

Other than that the only other shared housing is like retirement village types that can be all christian. But thats for like real old ppl!!!

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
When I was a teenager, after my dad walked out, I was homeless and we did live in a hotel for a month while my mother looked for a job. I am not "elite" or "socially privileged" beyond being raised to trust God and to value hard work. Ultimately, we moved states away from "home" because that is where she could find a job. We knew no one in the city and she took a minimum wage job dubbing tapes for a Christian ministries in spite of the fact she had a college degree and was at least halfway through earning her master's degree. I think almost all our money went toward having a safe apartment in a good school district. I know my mom had 3 dresses that she alternated through for work and we shared those dressed on Sunday (she always gave me first choice). I believe you have said that you don't want to work full-time. Well, living independent usually requires hard work, making hard choices, and being willing to make sacrifices until you do work your way up in the world. That is the same for single people and married couples. Nobody starts off "comfortable" or in the same level of housing as their parents currently live. My mother had to start over multiple times in life and ultimately, she is now reasonably comfortable and owns her own 3 bedroom condo in a good neighborhood in a major city. She also finished that Master's degree and spent most of her life teaching special ed & visually impaired children & adults...her passion. No one gave her a free ride. I don't really believe the rest of us are as "privileged" or as "elite" as you believe...most of us aren't as clueless as you believe either. You are making choices...you are not willing to work long hours doing menial labor to make the money you need to live independently and you are not willing to move away from "home". Your life is the result of your choices. There is nothing wrong with your choices...but like most people, you have to make them and live with the consequences that go with those choices. Most people who are successful did start at the bottom and work themselves up. Most of us are not given our first homes or start in jobs that make living solo possible...or if they do, they live in small, cramped quarters that aren't in the nicest parts of towns.... From what I have read, the housing & employment situation in Auckland is not really that much different than in any major metropolitan city in the US. Nobody says it is easy....but that is a lot what makes it worth it.

I believe there are probably still worldwide mission options where you can serve God and not pay rent by traveling to some underprivileged area in the world and serving local residents...but that requires moving and being willing to give up both safety and a comfortable lifestyle.

Upvote 0