Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I just wondered if theres such a thing outside of catholicsm as you do need to be single to be a nun or monk but at from what I know there is no special housing provision for celibate christian singles who are not lcatholics like the catholics have with their convents and monasteries.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
To me the situation is we live amongst our own families if there is nowhere else to go. Who may or may not even be christian.

It is very tough to leave ones family and be single. Although there are loose christian flatting situations often it ends up people just living together with the opposite sex out of economic necessity.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are monks and monastaries in the Orthodox traditions, Anglicanism, Lutheranism. There is apparently a Methodist one as well, and other monastic-like orders and organizations in other realms of Protestant Christianity. One my profs in college was a self-claimed and professed monk and had a group of students who did monastic practices and such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_monasticism?wprov=sfla1

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hmm didnt know thought it was a mainly catholic and eastern orthodox tradition.

There dont seem to be any baptist monks and nuns for example.

Everyone gets married or if you stay single you just silently suffer your unmarried status.

You also get other christians saying they will pray a godly husband or wife for you. Even if it just seems really unlikely you would want to be a husband or wife. Even if its not in Gods plan for you, because people assume Gods plan is you gonna be married with children.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was thinking in the baptist tradition there is really only one option for unmarried singles who leave their families and that is to go overseas on missions BUT it seems many mission agencies do not support that, which is why you get situations like young couples going on missions and then all the problems that come with it when they want to start their own families. Older couples whove already had children that are grown can go on missions but i think with young couples its asking a bit much. They really need to be looking after their own children first.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
For single women it can be harder living on your own with regards to security etc.
unless the single accomodation is in something like an apartment with other singles, but often that is expensive.

Students have hostels, but for a single christian whos just graduated and probably unemployed there are not many options for decent housing starting out.

Upvote 0

CCHIPSS

Love will overcome evil (Romans 12:9-21)
Jul 10, 2014
Vancouver, BC
✟34,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
To me if someone want to stay single and focus on God, just do it. There is no need to announce to the world or take a vow. You are staying single for God and not the world. So why does the world even need to know. If you are showing off, isn't this part of your sinful nature?

I don't believe there is a need to "decide" to not marry. If you are single, God wants you to be single right now. If you do find someone eventually, God brought that someone to you. Do not try to guess or predict God's will for you in the future. Instead work with what you have today out of love for God and others.

If you want to stay single for God, then you should be lovingly serving others and bringing the Gospel to non-believers. Reading the bible all day isn't doing much for God. Knowledge is important, but if that knowledge doesn't (or never) transforms you to love God and others it is useless. You cannot possibly love God if you do not love all others. (1 John 4:18-20)

A Christian can build a God centered loving family. This also builds God's kingdom.

Last edited:
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

James of Arc

Venomous Turtle
Site Supporter
Apr 4, 2016
✟30,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Denominations such as Baptist and Assemble of God believe that you should leave your mother and father and join with somebody else in marriage and do not really desire a celibate life so there is no need for a place of celibacy.

To me when Paul was speaking of celibacy I believe he was talking of himself and not for God at the moment as being naturally celibate is so rare that most will never experience it and God also designed the masses to go out and get married to populate.

To me the Catholic church has put a burden around their priest necks that they can not bear. They have made it hard for the priest to obtain salvation do to a religious rule. Its hard for me to believe that all priest are celibate by nature.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
Northern California
✟439,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just wondered if theres such a thing outside of catholicsm as you do need to be single to be a nun or monk but at from what I know there is no special housing provision for celibate christian singles who are not lcatholics like the catholics have with their convents and monasteries.

Some traditions have them but there are far fewer of them. Religious orders (a formal term referring to monks and nuns) tend to be most common in Catholicism, but like @TX_Matt said, there are some communities in Eastern Orthodoxy, Anglicanism and Lutheranism.

As far as monasticism being practiced in other branches of Protestantism, not so much. There are, however, other religions that practice it like Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, some sects of Judaism and even Islam.

Also, within Catholicism one doesn't necessarily have to take on the monastic life in order to embrace some of the principles that a particular order focuses on. For example, I know this extraordinary woman who is a Third Order Carmelite, which is meant for lay people. Carmelites are very prayer focused and this friend of mine prays like nobody I've ever seen, it's definitely a gift. Here's more info about it in the Carmelite context, I'm not sure if other orders offer the same thing but maybe @Rhamiel can clear that up?

To me if someone want to stay single and focus on God, just do it. There is no need to announce to the world or take a vow. You are staying single for God and not the world. So why does the world even need to know. If you are showing off, isn't this part of your sinful nature?

I don't believe there is a need to "decide" to not marry. If you are single, God wants you to be single right now. If you do find someone eventually, God brought that someone to you. Do not try to guess or predict God's will for you in the future. Instead work with what you have today out of love for God and others.

If you want to stay single for God, then you should be lovingly serving others and bringing the Gospel to non-believers. Reading the bible all day isn't doing much for God. Knowledge is important, but if that knowledge doesn't (or never) transforms you to love God and others it is useless. You cannot possibly love God if you do not love all others. (1 John 4:18-20)

A Christian can build a God centered loving family. This also builds God's kingdom.

You make it sound like they're standing on the rooftops declaring their celibacy, they're not, and the monastic life involves much more than simply living celibate. There are plenty of laity who live the celibate life. They don't join a monastery or a convent because they don't want to marry, they join a monastic community because they want to embrace the entire lifestyle of that particular order, and sometimes the 'outside world' isn't conducive to that end.

Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship

The ironic thing about this post is that monastics agree with you. Monastics serve the church, they're entire life dedicated to serve God and other people. A good percentage of Saints were monks, Paul himself would probably be considered a monk as well as Elijah and John the Baptist. This is also not to mention that many have and continue to choose to live a monastic lifestyle while living and working outside of a monestary; the college professor I mentioned was one such person, who I would probably rank not only in the top 3 most intelligent people I've ever met, but also in the top 3 most-Christlike people I've ever met.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AnneY

Aug 19, 2015
Midwest
✟130,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It's really not difficult as a single woman to live alone, unless you are experiencing money woes or live in an extremely dangerous location. I've been living alone for the last four years and I've never felt unsafe or anything like that. I would never ever live in a dormitory style living arrangement again, even if I had my own room. One semester in college was more than enough for me.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Was the shared housing something you arranged or the church supported? Like was it a manse or something like that?

The shared housing was put together by a guy who was a janitor at a Presbyterian Church that owned the house. It was a 6 bedroom 5 bath house. So had 14 guys living there at any one time for just over 2 years.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The shared housing was put together by a guy who was a janitor at a Presbyterian Church that owned the house. It was a 6 bedroom 5 bath house. So had 14 guys living there at any one time for just over 2 years.
I figured that housing for christian singles would,be owned by some sort of trust or perhaps a wealthy member of the church or inherited or something like that.

The demographics of the church i attend is mkstly retirees who downsized so theres no room for their adult children anymore. They all seem to have gone overseas or they flat with others who they had known growing up. Problem is when they move on they have to find new flatmates often just random ppl who might not even be christian.

Upvote 0