Non catholic nuns and monks or celibate singles

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am not Catholic but reality is that I DO think that it is biblical. We are all supposed to live to please God in every aspect of our lives. That is why Paul said it is best not to get married because if we are married and have kids, other priorities have to considered when caring for your family which take your focus away from God. The nun simply declare that their first allegiance is to God and He is the "husband" that they chose to submit too without including anyone else in that relationship. The convent/church then provides for the nun the way a husband provides for the wife and she doesn't have to think about where the money for the rent is coming from or "looking good" because they are told that God loves them "as is" and not because of their appearance. She doesn't have to worry about "catching a man". Her focus then can be on serving others and worshipping God....and isn't that something we are all supposed to be doing anyway.

Do I believe that is the life for everyone? No, because there would be no children but I do believe that the thought process and the idea of marrying God is a good one and definitely biblical. Ultimately, Christ is the bridegroom and we all will be marrying Christ one day. Probably the reason there is no marriage as we know it in Heaven.

Some couples serve God together.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Some couples serve God together.
I didn't say that other relationships aren't good, you asked about the nun being married one. The truth is that when you are married, no, your only focus isn't on God...because you also have to live in this world and worry about day to day things.

Upvote 0

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hmm didnt know thought it was a mainly catholic and eastern orthodox tradition.

There dont seem to be any baptist monks and nuns for example.

that's because the idea of being a Christian Monk is unbiblical and kind of a contradiction.

We are not to be like the Essenes. Spirituality is not a matter of geography. separating ourselves from the world is something we do spiritually, not physically. Physically we are to be witnessing to the world, but that can't happen if we are hiding up on some mountain somewhere.

Do I believe that is the life for everyone? No, because there would be no children but I do believe that the thought process and the idea of marrying God is a good one and definitely biblical. Ultimately, Christ is the bridegroom and we all will be marrying Christ one day. Probably the reason there is no marriage as we know it in Heaven.

to be clear, I am referring to monasticism. What you seem to be talking about is in scripture. Read 1 Corinthians 7.
In a nutshell, Paul would wish that everyone could be single and celibate like himself. When you are single, you can do a lot more for God (and he lists reasons why in that chapter, mainly that a married person cannot focus solely on God like a single person can).
Unfortunately, he says, it just isn't possible. the ability to be celibate is a gift from God, not something that humans can willfully do. In general, people can not stay single without falling into sin. We are human. Humans have desires for the opposite sex. It is in this chapter that he permits those who made oaths of celibacy to break them and forbids married people from making such oaths.

So if you want to live as a single Christian, that's great. It is a good things. But if your desire is to run off into the wilderness somewhere, or on top of a mountain away from the world geographically, then you are not doing good. You are out of balance and you will be hard-pressed to be a witness to this world if you are under a rock in the middle of the forest.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
that's because the idea of being a Christian Monk is unbiblical and kind of a contradiction.

We are not to be like the Essenes. Spirituality is not a matter of geography. separating ourselves from the world is something we do spiritually, not physically. Physically we are to be witnessing to the world, but that can't happen if we are hiding up on some mountain somewhere.

to be clear, I am referring to monasticism. What you seem to be talking about is in scripture. Read 1 Corinthians 7.
In a nutshell, Paul would wish that everyone could be single and celibate like himself. When you are single, you can do a lot more for God (and he lists reasons why in that chapter, mainly that a married person cannot focus solely on God like a single person can).
Unfortunately, he says, it just isn't possible. the ability to be celibate is a gift from God, not something that humans can willfully do. In general, people can not stay single without falling into sin. We are human. Humans have desires for the opposite sex. It is in this chapter that he permits those who made oaths of celibacy to break them and forbids married people from making such oaths.

So if you want to live as a single Christian, that's great. It is a good things. But if your desire is to run off into the wilderness somewhere, or on top of a mountain away from the world geographically, then you are not doing good. You are out of balance and you will be hard-pressed to be a witness to this world if you are under a rock in the middle of the forest.

You honestly believe that a single person can't be celibate unless called to be single? That is like saying that if you don't find a person to marry, you have permission to sleep around because humans are weak. What do say about a situation like mine? I am not called to be single, in fact, I was very happily married but he died. I miss sex but that doesn't mean I can't keep my pants on nor that I will just marry a warm body so that I can have it again. We aren't animals. We have brains and the capacity for self-control.

And you are sadly mistaken if you believe all nuns disappear from the world. Many participate and in fact, used to run many of the schools and hospitals. Mother Teresa is a living example of a nun who did exactly what God has called Christians to do...and she did it by living with the people other people threw away.

Upvote 0

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You honestly believe that a single person can't be celibate unless called to be single? That is like saying that if you don't find a person to marry, you have permission to sleep around because humans are weak. What do say about a situation like mine? I am not called to be single, in fact, I was very happily married but he died. I miss sex but that doesn't mean I can't keep my pants on nor that I will just marry a warm body so that I can have it again. We aren't animals. We have brains and the capacity for self-control.
oh my goodness. You do realize that I agreed with you right? And then gave scripture to support your view.

I think perhaps you are called to be single. At least for the time being. maybe you were called to be married before, and now God wants you to remain single...

I don't know where you live. But I live in the real world. and the majority of people I work with in this world cannot imagine being celibate. For any length of time.
I did not say that nobody can live their lives without falling to temptation. But the majority of people can't. One only needs to look around. Even in the church where it is preached against.

I may not have an issue with that sin today. I am not walking around looking for sex. but who knows. I may meet a young lady tomorrow, or 5 years from now. Tomorrow I might be on the roof of my house... Right now I am perfectly content to remain single for the rest of my life, but five years from now I might meet Miss Right and that may change.
I've seen it happen to respectable young men and women who were just as spiritual as the rest of us.

I will not be so foolish and pious as to think that I am so spiritual that to allow myself into a position with a female where temptation can become too powerful.
Not every sin is planned. Sometimes we place ourselves into a position where we can be attacked with a temptation we are not prepared for, and possibly never thought we would have an issue with.

We were created to want a companion. I know people who are single and it is not well for them. I know people whose parents refused to allow them to get married, and then they had to allow them to get married. etc.

Withholding yourself from your spouse is forbidden because you are pushing your husband or wife into adultery. That's what Paul says.

And perhaps you are forgetting that lusting in the heart is an equivalent sin. Committing the act in your imagination is an equivalent sin.

I don't know why you think Paul wrote this chapter. But it says what I said. That it is good to remain single. But if the time comes (and for most people it does), that you fall in love and want to have a relationship, then you need to get married. for it is better to marry than it is to burn.

You can act all pious, but this is an issue that real people deal with (particularly men but also women).
Once again, I am not saying that every guy is walking around drooling after women. But we are all sinners. And it is only a matter of time before the right girl comes along (or vice-versa to women), and the door opens for temptation.

like I told you before, Paul is not saying marry anyone to avoid falling into sin. But he is saying that you should not refrain from marriage if it means you are going to fall into sin.
So if you are fine being single that's great wonderful. But don't put pressure on yourself or other people to remain single. Especially if pressure is required
And you are sadly mistaken if you believe all nuns disappear from the world. Many participate and in fact, used to run many of the schools and hospitals. Mother Teresa is a living example of a nun who did exactly what God has called Christians to do...and she did it by living with the people other people threw away.
I think I described the kind of Monastary I was referring to... Don't attack a straw man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0