• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured Nobody knows Jesus did this!

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by timewerx, Apr 14, 2019.

1. timewerx

timewerx the village i--o--t--

+4,542
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    Jesus teleported a boatload of disciples for a few miles across a lake. :)

John 6:16-21
    16 When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, 17 where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. 18 A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough. 19 When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus approaching the boat, walking on the water; and they were frightened. 20 But he said to them, “It is I; don’t be afraid.” 21 Then they were willing to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat reached the shore where they were heading

:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. timewerx

+4,542
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    What really exceeds the magnitude of this miracle is that only very few Christians are aware of this miracle! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+15,823
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    In another Gospel it said that He came about 2 or 3 am. IOW they had been rowing against the wind for 5 or 6 hours when it should have taken them only about 45 minutes to cross.

Yes, I got that miracle back when I was in college. It is hardly ever mentioned.

4. Kerensa

Kerensa Well-Known Member

+892
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    I'm well aware of it — we've had that account quite often in readings at church. It shows Christ's command over time and space, as well as over the forces of nature. But I agree, it doesn't seem to be discussed very often among Christians in general. Not sure why not!

5. Thess

Thess Well-Known Member

+307
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    It's something I've never heard anyone mention either....ever. The Jordan River being split apart by the Ark of the Covenant under the leadership of Joshua was another. Both are great stories that went untold my entire life.

6. Hammster

Hammster Melanin Level - Low Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+16,790
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    There’s no reason to assume teleportation. The word can be translated as quickly, swiftly, shortly.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Pilgrim

+2,953
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    It could mean that after Jesus got onto the boat, there were no more difficulties to encounter (like we read in verse 18). Jesus calmed the winds and waves to make the journey easier, that's my take.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,336
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    I believe walking on water was the true miracle here. Basically the wind stopped and they were able to reach their destination immediately. Though teleportation is not unique in scriptures, in this case I don't think in happened. Both Ezekiel and Phillip were lifted out of one place and put into another by God.

On another note, there are some WOF preachers claiming that this is one of the spiritual gifts. This is in error and beware of such teachings.
    Blessings

9. Swan7

Swan7 Made in the image of His Grace Supporter

+6,816
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    God is the same yesterday, as today and of course tomorrow :D Yes, this is an amazing miracle that He can STILL do!
    As it was in the OT where a prophet of God was sent by a whirl wind (if I remember correctly) to Daniel to feed him!

10. Lucian Hodoboc

Lucian Hodoboc Active Member

+372
    Romania
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Yes, I think it is a matter of translation. Or maybe He did. Who knows?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  11. Thess

Thess Well-Known Member

+307
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Exactly! The vast majority of people have never felt the Power of God, so to "understand" is nearly impossible. You are soooooo right!!!

12. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,268
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I wouldn't say it was teleportation, however, it does appear that the author is saying that something miraculous happened so that they arrived at once, quicker than they normally would have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. timewerx

+4,542
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    Yes, if not teleportation, the boat still moved at incredible speed!

Crazy stuff!

14. timewerx

+4,542
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    Strongs majority English equivalent is "immediate", "at once", and "as soon as"

Strong's Greek: 2112. εὐθέως (eutheós) -- at once, directly

Which means they traversed a distance instantly- moving at incredible speed, possibly at the speed of light or even more!

15. Hammster

+16,790
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
  16. timewerx

+4,542
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    If you are thinking 2000 year old average boat speeds, for that boat to immediately reach its destination, it would only be a couple of feet away from shore.

But you realize how absurd it would look given the disciples seem struggling at the water and they only happen to be just a couple of feet away from dry land? ^_^

Given the struggle, the boat would be at least, a couple hundred yards away from shore. A couple hundred yards, traverse than in a very small fraction of a second...that's faster than a bullet! :eek:

17. Hammster

+16,790
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    How do you know how fast?

My point is that you are making assumptions.

18. timewerx

+4,542
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    There's enough circumstances to conclude they are moving at an incredible rate of speed.

19. Hammster

+16,790
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    No, there’s not.

20. mark kennedy

mark kennedy Natura non facit saltum Supporter

+7,251
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    While the whole experience of the Apostles with Jesus out on that lake was extraordinary, Jesus was a pretty extraordinary guy. Something kind of similar happened to Phillip the Evangelist, who was an important part of the message being carried to the Samaritans and Gentiles:

He was one of the Seven chosen to care for the poor of the Christian community in Jerusalem (Acts 6). He preached and reportedly performed miracles in Samaria, and met and baptized an Ethiopian man, a eunuch, in Gaza, traditionally marking the start of the Ethiopian Church (Acts 8). Later, Philip lived in Caesarea Maritima with his four daughters who foretold, where he was visited by Paul the Apostle (Acts 21). (Philip the Evangelist Wikipedia)​

I only bring it up because he was essentially teleported after the baptism of the Ethiopian eunuch.

When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing. (Acts 8:39)
    I'm not quite sure how this works, if it's on the wings of angels are just God doing what only God can do. But this kind of manifestation was not unique to Christ, Phillip experienced something similar.

Grace and peace,
    Mark