timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,878.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
While the whole experience of the Apostles with Jesus out on that lake was extraordinary, Jesus was a pretty extraordinary guy. Something kind of similar happened to Phillip the Evangelist, who was an important part of the message being carried to the Samaritans and Gentiles:

He was one of the Seven chosen to care for the poor of the Christian community in Jerusalem (Acts 6). He preached and reportedly performed miracles in Samaria, and met and baptized an Ethiopian man, a eunuch, in Gaza, traditionally marking the start of the Ethiopian Church (Acts 8). Later, Philip lived in Caesarea Maritima with his four daughters who foretold, where he was visited by Paul the Apostle (Acts 21). (Philip the Evangelist Wikipedia)​

I only bring it up because he was essentially teleported after the baptism of the Ethiopian eunuch.

When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing. (Acts 8:39)
I'm not quite sure how this works, if it's on the wings of angels are just God doing what only God can do. But this kind of manifestation was not unique to Christ, Phillip experienced something similar.

Grace and peace,
Mark

I'm not sure how this happens as well. Although there has been exceptionally few occassions this happened to other people in more recent times.

I think one happened in the 19th century. Also happened on the water. Sailors saw someone they knew seem hovering over the ocean but moving at incredible speed. This person they knew isn't dead, very much alive. They found him at his destination, quite alive but very confused. Arriving many days ahead but having no recollection of what happened. I think he got a ride back home but normally, via ship.

I don't think these sailors knew of the John 6 teleportation or incredible speed miracle. But their account matches some of the events in John 6 - Jesus walking on the water miles away from land, catching up to the boat, and finally, going about at incredible speed.

One could ask, how did Jesus end up near the boat of the disciples which is miles into the trip - He had to be moving exceptionally fast as well before the disciples saw Him.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not sure how this happens as well. Although there has been exceptionally few occassions this happened to other people in more recent times.

I think one happened in the 19th century. Also happened on the water. Sailors saw someone they knew seem hovering over the ocean but moving at incredible speed. This person they knew isn't dead, very much alive. They found him at his destination, quite alive but very confused. Arriving many days ahead but having no recollection of what happened. I think he got a ride back home but normally, via ship.

I don't think these sailors knew of the John 6 teleportation or incredible speed miracle. But their account matches some of the events in John 6 - Jesus walking on the water miles away from land, catching up to the boat, and finally, going about at incredible speed.

One could ask, how did Jesus end up near the boat of the disciples which is miles into the trip - He had to be moving exceptionally fast as well before the disciples saw Him.
I don't know about those old sea stories but the miracle of the storm was something God did. One time Jesus is sleeping through a storm, woke up and rebuked the storm, the response was who is this guy that tells the weather was to do. This particular storm was after the feeding of the 5000, Jesus pretty much forced them into the boat. They were out there because Jesus told them to be, and meets them when all seems lost. The miracle might not even be the important thing.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,878.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't know about those old sea stories but the miracle of the storm was something God did. One time Jesus is sleeping through a storm, woke up and rebuked the storm, the response was who is this guy that tells the weather was to do. This particular storm was after the feeding of the 5000, Jesus pretty much forced them into the boat. They were out there because Jesus told them to be, and meets them when all seems lost. The miracle might not even be the important thing.

I've also mentioned earlier what might be of greater concern is that most Christians did not notice this miracle in the Bible.

It makes you wonder what else we've missed which could further lead to greater issues like misinterpretations, etc. Yep, the big number of denominations where each don't agree on a lot of teachings in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Jesus teleported a boatload of disciples for a few miles across a lake. :)

John 6:16-21
16 When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, 17 where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. 18 A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough. 19 When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus approaching the boat, walking on the water; and they were frightened. 20 But he said to them, “It is I; don’t be afraid.” 21 Then they were willing to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat reached the shore where they were heading

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I knew about that.

Jesus' power annihilates distances. He did a miracle, for he has power over all creatures, over the sea as well as over time and distance. He may abrogate nature's laws. From the mountain peak to the sea's midst and then to the lake's western shore in moments. That's his power's evidence.

This fact redounds to believers' comfort at all times. Christians should know that their life's in Christ's hands. Jesus' care will provide for, defend, guard and protect them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've also mentioned earlier what might be of greater concern is that most Christians did not notice this miracle in the Bible.

It makes you wonder what else we've missed which could further lead to greater issues like misinterpretations, etc. Yep, the big number of denominations where each don't agree on a lot of teachings in the Bible.
I don't know what you mean, I've heard many a lesson on the passage. Jesus here is literally getting away from the crowds. This starts about half way through his ministry and he starts spending more time with his disciples.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What really exceeds the magnitude of this miracle is that only very few Christians are aware of this miracle! :eek:
I don't know where you got that idea.

I've known it for decades.

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What really exceeds the magnitude of this miracle is that only very few Christians are aware of this miracle! :eek:
or distorted time, pretty awesome anyway.

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,878.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
or distorted time, pretty awesome anyway.

Yes, that might also explain how Jesus was able to walk on water that instant! Distort time, you will also distort mass and distance too! - Einstein's General relativity!

In that case, the boat warped through space, lol! It would have made a brilliant flash of light as the effect you see in Star Trek ships when you slow down from warp speed - from synchotron or Cherenkov radiation, anyway...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus teleported a boatload of disciples for a few miles across a lake. :)

John 6:16-21
16 When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, 17 where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. 18 A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough. 19 When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus approaching the boat, walking on the water; and they were frightened. 20 But he said to them, “It is I; don’t be afraid.” 21 Then they were willing to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat reached the shore where they were heading

:eek: :eek: :eek:

My pastor says that's a misreading of the literary convention. "Immediately" means more like "presently" or "soon".

• Agree
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,878.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My pastor says that's a misreading of the literary convention. "Immediately" means more like "presently" or "soon".

According to Strongs Concordance anyway, it is much more likely to be "immediately"

Yes indeed, "soon" and "shortly" came out as one of the usage of the word but a lot less likely.

Note that other supernatural manifestations are present at the same time like Jesus walking on the water. Why not intantaneous transportation?

Strong's Greek: 2112. εὐθέως (eutheós) -- at once, directly
John 6:21 Greek Text Analysis

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
According to Strongs Concordance anyway, it is much more likely to be "immediately"

Yes indeed, "soon" and "shortly" came out as one of the usage of the word but a lot less likely.

Note that other supernatural manifestations are present at the same time like Jesus walking on the water. Why not intantaneous transportation?

Strong's Greek: 2112. εὐθέως (eutheós) -- at once, directly
John 6:21 Greek Text Analysis

I think that's unlikely because John is a Gospel of signs and there is typically only one sign given per scene.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,878.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think that's unlikely because John is a Gospel of signs and there is typically only one sign given per scene.

Is there a rule book somewhere that Jesus can only do one sign per scene?
giphy.gif

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Is there a rule book somewhere that Jesus can only do one sign per scene?
giphy.gif

No, but it wouldn't fit the literary structure to do so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good for you!

In all the churches I've been to, mostly protestant denominations, nobody knows it.
Ok, let's say that you are one of the few that "know" this. How does your knowledge of this help you? How does the lack of this "knowledge" hinder others?

• Agree
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟95,891.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Good point, although one could question whether the instant transportation (if that's what it was) counts as a "sign" in itself or is part and parcel of the walking-on-water sign. Also, twice in John, Jesus disappears from sight somehow as his opponents are about to stone him (8:59 and 10:39) — we're not told exactly what happened, but the implication both times seems to be that he escaped by divine power. He does something similar in Luke 4:28-30 as the crowd tries to throw him off a cliff and he walks straight through the midst of them untouched. To me, that suggests that he could indeed defy laws of time and space and physics, and that that's what happened when he joined the disciples in the boat. None of us can actually prove anything either way, of course, but it's fun to wonder. :)

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Good point, although one could question whether the instant transportation (if that's what it was) counts as a "sign" in itself or is part and parcel of the walking-on-water sign. Also, twice in John, Jesus disappears from sight somehow as his opponents are about to stone him (8:59 and 10:39) — we're not told exactly what happened, but the implication both times seems to be that he escaped by divine power. He does something similar in Luke 4:28-30 as the crowd tries to throw him off a cliff and he walks straight through the midst of them untouched. To me, that suggests that he could indeed defy laws of time and space and physics, and that that's what happened when he joined the disciples in the boat. None of us can actually prove anything either way, of course, but it's fun to wonder. :)

I don't think Jesus necessarily had to teleport anywhere. In fact I think that idea is something that only happens after the resurrection. During his life, he generally submits to ordinary human limitations, unless there is some other reason to not do so.

Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟95,891.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think Jesus necessarily had to teleport anywhere. In fact I think that idea is something that only happens after the resurrection. During life, he generally submits to human limitations, unless there is some other reason to not do so.

Hmm, does he really? Walking on water, calming the storm, feeding the (more than) 5,000 and 4,000 healing "every kind of sickness and every kind of disease", raising the dead, all well before his own resurrection... with all that, I shouldn't have thought teleporting would be beyond him. ;) But again, we can't prove anything there.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Hmm, does he really? Walking on water, calming the storm, feeding the (more than) 5,000 and 4,000 healing "every kind of sickness and every kind of disease", raising the dead, all well before his own resurrection... with all that, I shouldn't have thought teleporting would be beyond him. ;) But again, we can't prove anything there.

He did those all as signs. Yes, he could have teleported anywhere he wanted to, just like he could have gotten down off the Cross, but he chose not to, because it would not have been dignified according to the divine plan. Likewise, Jesus could have hatched from an egg, but again, it wouldn't be fitting. So I don't think having Jesus beaming around everywhere is a realistic idea, either. God's plan in the incarnation was to live as an ordinary human being doing his Father's work, not to live as Superman. After all, there were times when Jesus did not perform miracles.

Upvote 0