Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You might want to go back and read some of my posts here. I've pointed out to a number of people that even when the Bible uses figurative language, it's still true.

Do you believe the Bible?

Even when Jesus tells a story that didn't really happen, He's telling you the truth. Because a parable is a fiction used to illustrate an important truth.

If I get you correctly, you're telling me that allegories and parables in the Bible aren't to be taken seriously. Which seems like you don't really believe it.

No I'm telling you that it seem like you don't believe the bible.

I hear you saying that, but then you disparage what it says. (See below) There's a disconnect there.

I believe the earth is covered by a dome, but the rain don't come from it. The rain come from the clouds.

Ah, but there is no dome. And the Earth is demonstrably not flat. Easy to demonstrate. The ancient Greeks and others had that figured out very early from various evidence they found. Eratosthenes of Alexandria even came up with a very good estimate for its circumference,based on astronomical and geographic data. Would you like to learn about that?

Regarding your belief about rain coming from clouds (which happens to be true), you're then telling us that the Bible is wrong in saying it comes from openings in the supposed dome over the Earth.

That's true, only if you insist that the Flood story is literally true as an historical account. If you accept that some of it is figurative, the problem goes away.

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟36,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
And it's really not unreasonable to suggest that an animal could die with food caught in it's teeth. I'm sure people die with food caught in their teeth all the time.

Really, large numbers in the same place, drowned?

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟36,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You might want to go back and read some of my posts here. I've pointed out to a number of people that even when the Bible uses figurative language, it's still true.

Do you believe the Bible?

Even when Jesus tells a story that didn't really happen, He's telling you the truth. Because a parable is a fiction used to illustrate an important truth.

If I get you correctly, you're telling me that allegories and parables in the Bible aren't to be taken seriously. Which seems like you don't really believe it.

I hear you saying that, but then you disparage what it says. (See below) There's a disconnect there.

Ah, but there is no dome. And the Earth is demonstrably not flat.

Who says it is? Is. says "The Lord sits upon the circle of the earth."

Easy to demonstrate. The ancient Greeks and others had that figured out very early from various evidence they found. Eratosthenes of Alexandria even came up with a very good estimate for its circumference,based on astronomical and geographic data. Would you like to learn about that?

Regarding your belief about rain coming from clouds (which happens to be true), you're then telling us that the Bible is wrong in saying it comes from openings in the supposed dome over the Earth.

That's true, only if you insist that the Flood story is literally true as an historical account. If you accept that some of it is figurative, the problem goes away.

Jesus didn't do that, He compared the Flood to His second coming, people were/will be largely unprepared.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Who says it is? Is. says "The Lord sits upon the circle of the earth."

Looking at the earth from space, it does look like a circle, just as the Moon appears to us as a circle. And early on, Hebrews thought that the Earth was flat, with a solid dome overhead. By Jesus' time, no educated Jewish person thought the Earth was flat. The knew better from extensive evidence. Would you like to know about that evidence?

Jesus didn't do that, He compared the Flood to His second coming, people were/will be largely unprepared.

Yes. He used it as an metaphor for His return, saying no one will know the precise time. But even if the flood were an actual event used to illustrate such things, that doesn't mean that it's use in a figurative way makes it an actual event.

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟36,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes. He used it as an metaphor for His return, saying no one will know the precise time. But even if the flood were an actual event used to illustrate such things, that doesn't mean that it's use in a figurative way makes it an actual event.

You've offered no evidence Jesus thought those events were figurative.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Apostle Paul also believed in a literal Adam and Fall.

Show us the verse where he says it's a literal history. Or alternately, show us that if Paul mentions an allegorical passage, that converts it to a literal history. What do you have?

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟36,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Show us the verse where he says it's a literal history. Or alternately, show us that if Paul mentions an allegorical passage, that converts it to a literal history. What do you have?

Already done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
AKA, the Flood. The same flood that drowned large numbers of mammoths in today's artic areas, some still with tropical vegetation in their mouths.
you mean the small herd that was found on the Berezovka river bank which appear to have fallen victim to a mudslide and were subsequently mummified?

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christians who take every part of the bible literally, the flood according to the bible happened a little over 4000 years ago. A global flood like that 20 feet over the tallest mountain.

Specific mountains are mentioned.... And, those mountains are not as tall as some other mountain ranges in the world. I spent a whole day in a library to research that out. There were other mountain ranges that were not covered. Only the mountain range mentioned was where man at that time lived.

There was one purpose in the flood. Not to destroy all the planet. For God was not angry with the planet. God was angry with what man had become. Man was not all over the earth yet. That took place later when God forced man to scatter.

And, if one would gather the facts, they would be able to see that man was probably living in an area not much bigger than a small state like Rhode Island. For it tells us man was yet in his infancy. The genealogies reveal that men were having their first son at very old ages... Population growth was slow.

And... man had to be living close enough to Noah to hear his preaching with warnings against them. For God used Noah to preach against them...

The flood was vast by some standards, yet it was localized. No need to flood the polar bears who lived nowhere near man at that time. We must keep in mind. Man was what God intended to destroy. Not all other life on the planet.

The animals on the Ark were able to fit because God was preserving those animals that were indigenous to the area where man had been living. Some of them were preserved to restore the ecosystem once the flood was over.

If all the species of animals on this planet were to be saved? It would have taken a gigantic fleet of arks, not just one. The flood was local.

The flood water could be very high, yet at the same time contained, and not spread all over the earth... How? For the Bible shows us several times how God heaped up the waters and contained them. One was the parting of the Red Sea... Exodus 15:8

And...another heaping up of waters as found in, Joshua 3:10-13

This is how you will know that the living God is among you and that he will
certainly drive out before you the Canaanites, Hittites, Hivites, Perizzites,
Girgashites, Amorites and Jebusites. See, the ark of the covenant of the
Lord of all the earth will go into the Jordan ahead of you. Now then, choose
twelve men from the tribes of Israel, one from each tribe. And as soon as
the priests who carry the ark of the Lord—the Lord of all the earth—set foot
in the Jordan, its waters flowing downstream will be cut off and stand
up in a heap.”

The answers to what seems impossible are there!

Diligent study and God's grace will provide the answers.

Noah's flood was heaped up waters that were contained and designated to destroy all life within the realm of the area in which man had been living at that time. Mankind's population was low and regional. Man does not get scattered all over the earth until later in Genesis 11, when the Tower of Babel put an end to man herding all in one place.

grace and peace......

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The flood was local.

Are you of the opinion that it might have been the sudden flooding of what is now the Black Sea basin when the Mediterranean broke though? It happened about the right time, and in the right place. It's an interesting idea.

Upvote 0