Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
The neighborhoods I've celebrated Halloween in are all really nice. The one time I remember seeing a tree with toilet paper on it was when it was used for decoration on purpose, and the most "intentional scary" thing was a haunted house. (Which admittedly I never went into). My Halloween experiences have always been about dressing up, getting candy, having fun (including being a little fun-scared) and singing Halloween songs.

I remember hearing about a family member's friend who nearly got hurt by an apple that had metal in it (happened decades ago), and that's why we don't eat any apples given to us. The candy's always fine though, and dressing up is always fun for kids and adults—heck, with conventions, adults get to do more costume-wearing over the year than kids do!

The only negative I ever heard about was haunted houses that were too scary. That was it. We've always lived in nice neighborhoods too. The nice thing about trick or treating is that the whole neighborhood comes out so you get to meet more neighbors. That was really nice after we moved. We had a Halloween festival at school too. Even the teachers wear costumes on Halloween. It really is one of the happiest days of the entire year!
I hadn't realized I was a lucky kid to get to enjoy Halloween till right now.

• Agree
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The only negative I ever heard about was haunted houses that were too scary. That was it. We've always lived in nice neighborhoods too. The nice thing about trick or treating is that the whole neighborhood comes out so you get to meet more neighbors. That was really nice after we moved. We had a Halloween festival at school too. Even the teachers wear costumes on Halloween. It really is one of the happiest days of the entire year!
I hadn't realized I was a lucky kid to get to enjoy Halloween till right now.

While I am glad you had a happy childhood and a safe neighborhood to grow up in, it kind of makes me sad that a non-Christian holiday focused on death, ghosts, witches, and so on is "one of the happiest days of the entire year." I think that says something about our society ...

Again, I don't have any issue with people making their own choice about the holiday.

Out of curiosity...do they hand out alcohol at alternative Mardi gras parties like people hand out candy to the kids at the alternative Halloween parties?

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
While I am glad you had a happy childhood and a safe neighborhood to grow up in, it kind of makes me sad that a non-Christian holiday focused on death, ghosts, witches, and so on is "one of the happiest days of the entire year." I think that says something about our society ...

Again, I don't have any issue with people making their own choice about the holiday.

Out of curiosity...do they hand out alcohol at alternative Mardi gras parties like people hand out candy to the kids at the alternative Halloween parties?

It makes me sad that other kids didn't get to have what I got to have every Halloween! It's a day of make believe & having fun. Sorry you see so much negativity in it, but I sure don't! It says something about our society that they're willing to work together to make a safe, fun night for kids to enjoy.

I've never been to a Mardi Gras party so I can't tell you what they do.

• Agree
Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟55,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually, we didn't do alternative Mardi Gras outreach parties. We went out in pairs and groups to distribute the gospel by ministering in word, song, skits, and tracts. Then, we met back up at the church from where we were sent out. And we prayed that God give increase to the seeds of His Word that were sown. I gave Mardi Gras Outreach as an example of timing. My point was that we had to have the outreach on the day when Mardi Gras was taking place. The day of that Mardi Gras was a day when the harvest was ripe. That means that it was an opportune time to share the Word of God with many who were lost.

Of course, if there was any such event held to deter people from Mardi Gras events, it would not be Biblical to pass out alcohol. That would ruin our witness.

I think your point paralleling alcohol and candy being served is a concern of mimicking the non-Christian event by serving these things. (I'm one of those Christians who perceives alcohol as not being God's will for His believers.
Proverbs 20:1
Wine is a mocker, Strong drink is a brawler, And whoever is led astray by it is not wise.)

Back to the point of your question...
If there was a Halloween party down the street from me serving candy but serving plates of barbecue, I'm not going to upset myself behind any likeliness of me serving barbecue too. If we are like the world in the way we dress (in modesty - let's say with some decent jeans) or in the way we eat something or drink something within our boundaries, that would be completely beside the point. In many ways, we are going to look like the world because the action of living is practical. (Again, refer to Colossans 2 and Romans 14)

Our point in Noah's Ark parties is to provide an event that glorifies Christ in the ways I listed.

You are obviously proud of yourself for the way you raised your children concerning October 31. That's a choice. I understand that. Noah's Ark parties are a choice. They are an alternative to going to movies, grandparents' house, or even to a church event, which is what I did for years, too. (I also just made the kids stay in the house one year.)

See our Christian life as this:

Through Jesus Christ, our liberty was restored to us in a way like Garden of Eden (but better with our testimony of being set free from our sins and entered into eternal life). As in that Garden there were many many choices of trees from which Adam/Eve could eat freely with one forbidden tree to not eat from, we also are free indeed. That's what Jesus told us. We are free from sin, free to live for Him (in a number of ways - song, dance, speech, festivities, conversation, private devotion, in eating, in drinking, in everything we do all to the glory of Christ). There is the broad boundary to freely live for Christ in whatever we do as long as we shun sin and use wisdom to shun the appearance of evil as well (1 Thessalonians 5:22).

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Why do you want to have an alternative party? ... a Halloween party that isn't themed on evil things...maybe because the holiday is a little bit evil? ... so doing an alternative...something that looks like Halloween but isn't Halloween may possible be "appearance of evil"?

Either the holiday is benign .... then why not just hold a "normal" party ... or it isn't.

(And alcohol isn't evil...Jesus made wine. The problem is with gluttony and drinking to the point of altered mental state....so what is giving immature little minds literally pounds of candy on a single night, a school night at that?...)

Good luck with your party. I hope God bless whatever it is that you are trying to do.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟55,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's a day of make believe & having fun. Sorry you see so much negativity in it, but I sure don't! It says something about our society that they're willing to work together to make a safe, fun night for kids to enjoy.
I have had many discussions like this with relatives who see Halloween the way you do. Most people do. On the surface, it's fun. (I have those childhood memories.) And I've been told off in a way about my opposition to things like Halloween and Mardi Gras (straight scorned in defense of Mardi Gras). I'm okay with that. If I can spread the word about the ungodliness of Halloween, then, whatever comes with the territory.

Underneath the surface of certain events is what we don't see.

There is a spiritual realm that is far more aware of us than we typically are of them. Among demonic spirits, there is a subtle approach to keep people in the dark about their existence and tactics. Unless they have a specific purpose like terror through such activities as horror movies and horror games (or direct demonic activities), many times they do not make themselves known but appear to us as harmless, fun, exciting, enticing. That's how they can draw people in. They know more people will flee if they approach people in the form of what they really are about. So, they pretty up their activities. Make it fun. We are up against the deception of demons, who have been deceiving people from the time after Adam and Eve sinned.

Ephesians 6:11-18
Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I have had many discussions like this with relatives who see Halloween the way you do. Most people do. On the surface, it's fun. (I have those childhood memories.) And I've been told off in a way about my opposition to things like Halloween and Mardi Gras (straight scorned in defense of Mardi Gras). I'm okay with that. If I can spread the word about the ungodliness of Halloween, then, whatever comes with the territory.

Underneath the surface of certain events is what we don't see.

There is a spiritual realm that is far more aware of us than we typically are of them. Among demonic spirits, there is a subtle approach to keep people in the dark about their existence and tactics. Unless they have a specific purpose like terror through such activities as horror movies and horror games (or direct demonic activities), many times they do not make themselves known but appear to us as harmless, fun, exciting, enticing. That's how they can draw people in. They know more people will flee if they approach people in the form of what they really are about. So, they pretty up their activities. Make it fun. We are up against the deception of demons, who have been deceiving people from the time after Adam and Eve sinned.

Ephesians 6:11-18
Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

You're entitled to feel as you wish about Halloween, & other Christians are definitely entitled to feel differently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween#Christian_religious_observances There's even Halloween candy that has scriptures on the packaging.

Have fun with whatever you want to do on October 31! I'm super pumped about Halloween. :)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It makes me sad that other kids didn't get to have what I got to have every Halloween! It's a day of make believe & having fun. Sorry you see so much negativity in it, but I sure don't! It says something about our society that they're willing to work together to make a safe, fun night for kids to enjoy.
Unfortunately growing up in Michigan we had the "Devil's Night" violence/arson associated with Halloween.
devils_night_01.jpg

http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1933241,00.html

That was Detroit almost every year. I lived on the other side of the state but it happened in Benton Harbor some years also.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately growing up in Michigan we had the "Devil's Night" violence/arson associated with Halloween.
devils_night_01.jpg

http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1933241,00.html

That was Detroit almost every year. I lived on the other side of the state but it happened in Benton Harbor some years also.

:( That's really awful. I've lived in some cities that have some violence sometimes, but in safe areas. Chicago, Seattle, Vancouver, now Toronto. I've never seen any on Halloween. I've always felt totally safe. I love it! So much! At my school in Seattle we had a HUGE Halloween festival and they brought in rides and everything! All the teachers & students dress up for school. People plan it out ages in advance.

Upvote 0

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I enjoyed reading these ideas. Outreach opportunities are some of the best ways to teach Christianity to people who are not otherwise exposed to it. As a parent myself, I know that parents really appreciate having these organized events for kids. And the Noah's Ark Party incorporates enough of the traditional "Halloween" activities to be a good substitute for it (dressing up, getting candy). I grew up in a family that shunned Halloween because of its pagan roots, but I myself do celebrate it with my children. It's a good opportunity to meet neighbors, dress up and show off costume ideas each year, admire other kids' costumes, and treat them to goodies. Our rule is that we only visit houses that have some kind of Halloween decorations, to indicate that they are participating. (We don't egg the houses that don't!)

While an "alternative" event is a good option for families that don't celebrate Halloween, or who might feel that it has more to offer than trick-or-treating, it's worth considering that as an outreach opportunity it might be better to hold it on another day so that it isn't competing with Halloween for patronage. You would just have to weigh what is most important to you in that endeavor: introducing the gospel to as many people as possible, or getting as many people as possible away from Halloween.

• Agree
Reactions: Farine
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are too isolated from each other to be much of an impact sometimes. Pulling away from society is something of a last resort.

You would just have to weigh what is most important to you in that endeavor: introducing the gospel to as many people as possible, or getting as many people as possible away from Halloween.

If you believe motives matter, the why of Halloween is really troubling. There are plenty of people who enjoy the party aspect of it who have just the intentions of having a good time. "What's the big deal?"

Where do we draw the line? For example, at Knots Berry Farm, they have a huge fright festival. When you have a rule that says you have to be 17 in order to watch an R rated Movie, but have a live performance event that has R rated materials at a theme park which lets unattended jr. high kids wander freely through it? Where is that line? BY the way, the perfomers at the Theme park are not allowed to touch the guests, but they are allowed to get *THAT* close to touching.

What I liked about the Noah's ark party is that it's supportive of the family at a time when everyone wants to celebrate.

Upvote 0

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't let my young children see R movies OR go to haunted houses, unless I've seen them first and determined them to be kid-friendly. It's possible to have a low-intensity "haunted house" with cartoonish ghosts and peek-a-boo type "frights." Sure, the idea comes from darker ideas, but does that really matter? To some people it does, and I understand that, but personally we chose to raise our children without the "baggage" of history. We try to take things for what they are, not what they were years ago. That's just our philosophy. So we draw the line at egging someone's house, not at asking for candy from neighbors who are clearly participating in trick-or-treat. I don't think that line is hard to determine at all.

Upvote 0