Noah's Ark Parties To Counter Halloween Activities

Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟63,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's that season again. And it's an opportunity for Christians to take action while showing Christian families and unbelievers the gospel message of Jesus Christ. a Noah's Ark party also demonstrates that we can delight ourselves in the Lord on October 31 with Biblical activity.

Since 1997, some Christian women and I have discussed hosting Noah's Ark parties on October 31 for children and families in order to counter Halloween Activities. These Noah's Ark parties can ideally be hosted in private homes as well as by Christian organizations such as local churches/ministries.

So, I'm using this post to spread the idea to parents and ministries throughout the nation/world to counter Halloween activities and to do so with much prayer with fasting. Here's how I hosted mine way back in 1997 and hopefully can do so again this year: (Feel free to share your thoughts/ideas/questions)

1) Invite kids from family, friends, and community to dress as any animal.

2) Send out printed or electronic invitations that briefly state the purpose of promoting the message of the gospel through the story of Noah's Ark and that Jesus' return for His church of believers reflected in Noah's family's salvation from the flood.

3) Offer at the party fun foods, such as burger sliders, pizza, chicken wings, etc. (an accompaniment of fruit tray and veggie tray is good.)

4) Offer the sweet treats of your choice.

5) Set up stations where children can go from station-to-station in any order they'd like for as long as they'd like, as the following example:
a. Station 1: Story-telling of Noah's Ark
b. Station 2: Animated movie of Noah's Ark
c. Station 3: Arts/Crafts
d. Station 4: Games and Prizes
e. Station 5: General mingling

6) Offer take-home goodie bags of treats and gospel tracks. Also, offer parents' take-home treats and gospel tracks that explain the gospel and why Halloween promotes fear that God rejects for His children.

7) Finally, establish a network of parents/ministries willing to continue Noah's ark parties as an annual activity.

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Love this idea! I was curious when you had the party in 1997, was there interest in doing it again? I ask this because I know how much emotional energy goes into this type of event. It is better to do as a group than an individual project.

Also, if you visit the thrift stores and second hand shops for stuffed animals, that can help with the decorating theme. This also would be good items to store for the annual effort. Our local store has stuffed animals at a dollar a piece so it's not that expensive.

Lastly, i like making big signs out of cardboard. I usually use wood glue to make two layers thick so it's not so flimsy. If you have an artistic friend or young person, they can really explore their choices on this project.

Yay!

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟63,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Love this idea! I was curious when you had the party in 1997, was there interest in doing it again? I ask this because I know how much emotional energy goes into this type of event. It is better to do as a group than an individual project.

Also, if you visit the thrift stores and second hand shops for stuffed animals, that can help with the decorating theme. This also would be good items to store for the annual effort. Our local store has stuffed animals at a dollar a piece so it's not that expensive.

Lastly, i like making big signs out of cardboard. I usually use wood glue to make two layers thick so it's not so flimsy. If you have an artistic friend or young person, they can really explore their choices on this project.

Yay!
Amen. Your ideas about the stuffed animals are really helpful, Farine. And I certainly agree this would be a great group effort rather than an individual family of mom&pop effort.

I think the same year we began discussing or the following year, there was a church that hosted the event. I'm hoping this idea spreads for the opportunity to get the gospel out on October 31 for kids and families while combating Halloween. And i hope people "get it" on how delightful a party setting can be to the glory of God instead of to the embracing of fear.

Reactions: Farine
Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I saw this picture and thought of you.....

Noah's Ark Lessons.png

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
However, the real Noah Ark's story is really kind of a nightmare story .... the evilness of society, severe bullyism, building an boat large enough to hold those animals (not the cutesy toddler version where we teach kids that Noah's story was an impossible fairy tale), trusting God blindly over literally years of abuse by society, and watching all your friends and family die in a storm...and all your earthly belongings being destroyed. (Forgive me....but I have always had an issue with turning this very serious story into a toddler friendly watered down Bible story.)

Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
However, the real Noah Ark's story is really kind of a nightmare story .... the evilness of society, severe bullyism, building an boat large enough to hold those animals (not the cutesy toddler version where we teach kids that Noah's story was an impossible fairy tale), trusting God blindly over literally years of abuse by society, and watching all your friends and family die in a storm...and all your earthly belongings being destroyed. (Forgive me....but I have always had an issue with turning this very serious story into a toddler friendly watered down Bible story.)

Can I ask a question? If you understand that the backdrop of the day known as Halloween is really a bad scene, do you have an alternative theme to offer? It needs to have a theme to be a party so people can dress up in costumes and do something 'fun' instead of what they do now...

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Can I ask a question? If you understand that the backdrop of the day known as Halloween is really a bad scene, do you have an alternative theme to offer? It needs to have a theme to be a party so people can dress up in costumes and do something 'fun' instead of what they do now...

You do realize that Halloween was created to ward away evil spirits back in the day, right? Hence it being right before All Souls Day?

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

How about not celebrating it at all? Or if you have to have an alternative party, do something benign like "superheros" or "a day at the zoo"...why try to Christianize a non-Christian celebration? When I was a young teen (under 13) and I realized what Halloween was, I quit celebrating it entirely. My kids grew up going to the movies or visiting grandma or to some other activity that night to stay away from home. Our church would hold "fall festivals" or "dress up as Bible Characters" days...but to me, that is still celebrating it.

My kids had a huge box of dress-ups and were allowed to dress up on any other day of the year...just not Halloween. I told my husband to find something redemning that people did on Halloween and I would rethink my stance...he never could come up with one. All his "good memories" were of acts of misbehaving. People celebrate playing tricks on people, doing property damage, scaring people, and begging for candy...nothing Christian there. It is the one day a year when people pretend to be hookers, murders, and everything evil...and it is socially acceptable to act out poorly. It is the "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" mentality....not exactly Christian, is it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How about not celebrating it at all? Or if you have to have an alternative party, do something benign like "superheros" or "a day at the zoo"...why try to Christianize a non-Christian celebration? When I was a young teen (under 13) and I realized what Halloween was, I quit celebrating it entirely. My kids grew up going to the movies or visiting grandma or to some other activity that night to stay away from home. Our church would hold "fall festivals" or "dress up as Bible Characters" days...but to me, that is still celebrating it.

My kids had a huge box of dress-ups and were allowed to dress up on any other day of the year...just not Halloween. I told my husband to find something redemning that people did on Halloween and I would rethink my stance...he never could come up with one. All his "good memories" were of acts of misbehaving. People celebrate playing tricks on people, doing property damage, scaring people, and begging for candy...nothing Christian there. It is the one day a year when people pretend to be hookers, murders, and everything evil...and it is socially acceptable to act out poorly. It is the "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" mentality....not exactly Christian, is it?

I've never had a Halloween instance of memories where people I know played pranks on each other or did property damage. Just because some people act poorly doesn't mean we should condemn Halloween as just being about acting poorly.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I've never had a Halloween instance of memories where people I know played pranks on each other or did property damage. Just because some people act poorly doesn't mean we should condemn Halloween as just being about acting poorly.

It is an independent decision. But really???? you have NEVER met someone who did something less than nice on the night of Halloween...like scare someone easily scared?...like toilet papered a house...who dressed up as a hooker (or overtly sexy), criminal, bad guy...? But I will take you at your word....

I didn't do anything bad as a child when I did celebrate it, but even as a person who didn't celebrate, I heard about the eggs in the mufflers and the surprise spiders given to people who had a severe fear of spiders...and most of the college students dressed up as inappropriate characters in clothing they would not be caught dead in on any other day.

Regardless, it isn't a Christian holiday no matter how you dress it up.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Today's Halloween is about candy and costumes. Traditionally, it was celebrating the autumn equinox. The last harvest before the season turned cold and the grown turned fallow. It celebrated life, bounty, community, and remembered the dead ancestors who had passed on and would not be at the new harvest.

A Noah's Ark party is a first for me. The theme carrying on after 8 people chosen by God to survive a global genocide under flood waters doesn't seem like a real alternative to what people think Halloween is today.
Just my thoughts. Our family hasn't heard about a party such as described in the OP.

• Agree
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How about not celebrating it at all?

*Hands on hips* Look me in the eye. Tell me how that will work. To look at other people who think this is a 'harmless' issue, and say don't do Anything on Halloween. Give me a break.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

Same. I LOVE Halloween. It's one of the most fun days of the year! I start getting excited about it in late September, lol. Not once have I known anyone who in anyway was harmed by it. I think it's good for the neighborhood bc everybody is working together to make it a safe night.

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
*Hands on hips* Look me in the eye. Tell me how that will work. To look at other people who think this is a 'harmless' issue, and say don't do Anything on Halloween. Give me a break.

I haven't done 'anything at all' for 40 of my 51 years. I really don't care what anyone else thinks. I chose not to celebrate Halloween because I can not find anything positive about it. It really wasn't that hard. I raised two normal well-adjusted kids without it too. They will make their own decisions with their spouses some day concerning how they treat it and I am okay with that. However, I will say something if they try to pretend that they can "Christianize" it into something that it is not. Lipstick does not make a pig anything more than a pig with lipstick. I highly doubt that a single person has come to Christ over a halloween alternative party for young children....any more that people dumped their hordes of candy because someone put a healthy alternative in their bucket or a toothbrush. I think I have made more of an impact to those who know me because I haven't waffled on this faith issue in 40 years.

Again, it is your choice. Personally, I am more offended when important Bible stories are reduced to childish drivel that trivializes God and makes them more likely to put important stories in the mental basket with their other fairy tales. When was the last time you actually took some time to think about what it must have been like to watch your friends and family drowned violently while you sat safely in a boat?...or how evil the world must have been for God to have gotten to that point? or even the change the planet must have undergone after an event that catastrophic...and did you ever dig deep enough to realize that it was after they left the ark that God gave man permission to eat meat? Or that every single man and woman living is related not only through Adam & Eve but also through Noah and his wife?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How about not celebrating it at all?
Paul's message at Mars Hill set a precedent for using worldly references in evangelism. The Wesley brothers were [notorious?] for that approach, too.

(In your defense, the conversion numbers at Mars Hill were smaller than when Paul did not use worldly references elsewhere.)

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It is an independent decision. But really???? you have NEVER met someone who did something less than nice on the night of Halloween...like scare someone easily scared?...like toilet papered a house...who dressed up as a hooker (or overtly sexy), criminal, bad guy...? But I will take you at your word....

I didn't do anything bad as a child when I did celebrate it, but even as a person who didn't celebrate, I heard about the eggs in the mufflers and the surprise spiders given to people who had a severe fear of spiders...and most of the college students dressed up as inappropriate characters in clothing they would not be caught dead in on any other day.

Regardless, it isn't a Christian holiday no matter how you dress it up.

The neighborhoods I've celebrated Halloween in are all really nice. The one time I remember seeing a tree with toilet paper on it was when it was used for decoration on purpose, and the most "intentional scary" thing was a haunted house. (Which admittedly I never went into). My Halloween experiences have always been about dressing up, getting candy, having fun (including being a little fun-scared) and singing Halloween songs.

Same. I LOVE Halloween. It's one of the most fun days of the year! I start getting excited about it in late September, lol. Not once have I known anyone who in anyway was harmed by it. I think it's good for the neighborhood bc everybody is working together to make it a safe night.

I remember hearing about a family member's friend who nearly got hurt by an apple that had metal in it (happened decades ago), and that's why we don't eat any apples given to us. The candy's always fine though, and dressing up is always fun for kids and adults—heck, with conventions, adults get to do more costume-wearing over the year than kids do!

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟63,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Hi blackribbon. I actually understand your concern. I have relatives who refuse to do Halloween activities in honor of the Lord but will instead do the fall fests at their churches on different days. I've also heard a sermon on your point at a church I visited out of town. And my pastor, who preaches against Halloween and everything its activities imply as dishonoring to the Word, does not promote alternative events because none have been brought to his attention to my knowledge (I took the idea directly to the Chrildren's Church director, to whom I answer as a teacher. And he/his wife want to talk to the pastor as an idea.)

Having said all that, here are the following reasons I see a Noah's Ark Party as fitting on the very day of October 31. It's certainly an option for parents for a number of the following reasons. (Pretty lengthy explanation. But I hope it's informative.)

1) It's about timing and opportunity to reach a ripe harvest within the timeframe of the events occurring (Halloween, in this case).
Using an event I've been more involved in for more years in the past - Mardi Gras Outreach. Because Mardi Gras is a festive event where people party hard, get drunk, participate in ungodly ventures, and other activities of the flesh (even though families also spend time there together), it was an opportunity for hundreds of us in outreach to stand on the outside ready to share the message of the gospel to those who were lost and were willing to listen to us. Had we said, "Well, we'll minister to people a week before Mardi Gras or a week after," then we could have missed opportunity to witness to a mass number of people who would have been elsewhere before/after Mardi Gras events. When the harvest is ripe, we must be willing to be laborers in whatever calling that we have during the opportune time available to us. And many times, the timing on when unbelievers are roaming will be that same timing when we (as light in darkness) will make our way in to plant the seed of the Word and even more importantly, win souls to Christ.

Tracts can be distributed to people who may be more willing to read them from a giveaway bag at such an event than from my hand if I give them out in a grocery store. (BTW, I think it's good to give out tracts ANYWHERE. But an event where giveaways be distributed with tracts inside certainly makes it more likely to be read.)

Of the many thousands we've seen at Mardi Gras, I've only seen a handful get saved - as far as I could see. But one soul is important to the Lord.

In the case of Noah's Ark, the timing is October 31 and the goal is to reach children with their parents while also engaging Christian parents/children (exposing them to the spreading of the gospel, but certainly not holding them back from the delight of the event that is to glory Christ.)

Luke 10:2 says, "Therefore said he (Jesus) unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest." This is in the context of Jesus sending out His disciples and seventy others He had appointed to cities by two's to preach. But bear in mind, that He told His disciples to go out into the world and to teach others to do what He had taught them. And in his letters, Paul listed a number of different positions we all as believers hold within the Body of Christ to spread His message. So, Noah's Ark as an event is a tool, in addition to an event during which believers delight - not just some party.

2) For believing families with children, a Noah's Ark Party is an option for parents who do not want their children doing Halloween events. But it sends a message to believing children that this event is not a Halloween alternative but actually something they already have going on within their faith that is delightful.

Sure, parents can do such activities on other days in order to prove we don't need October 31 to do them. (And by all means, do those on other days.) But again, an October 31 event is also to draw unbelievers (by invitation or by passing by in some other costume) for the sake of them hearing the gospel. And for children, that gospel is read to them in stories and shown to them in videos.

Children in the faith who are told why Halloween activities and celebrations are ungodly (as my 4 have always been told from childhood to adulthood) can definitely just watch a movie or do something else that day. No problem. But there is nothing wrong with showing them a clear difference between these two:

The liberty to delight in the Lord (in festival or in private)
vs
Having fun that glorifies a very subtle unseen realm (involving tricking mankind into mocking death, flirting with unseen spirits that seek a doorway into our lives, inviting fear, etc)

We tell our children to praise the Lord in church but don't show them how to do so outside those 4 walls within our society. There is no reason to restrict them from enjoying their time in Christ with a party to glorify any story in the Bible on any day of the year. In his letter, Paul admonishes in Colossians 2:16: "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days..." He said this having pointed out how Jesus showed up the demonic realm openly when He had our sins nailed to the cross and triumphed over them. (And this applies to those of us who believe on Jesus Christ by faith, of course.) We are therefore not bound to any restriction outside the boundaries of His Word. And these are the boundaries that we teach our children:

That freedom in Christ was restored to believers at the cross. 2 Corinthians 3:17b says in Paul's letter, "...where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." Our children have the liberty to celebrate, learn, and share the gospel by which they base their faith along with their parents in such a setting.

3) I agree with you. The demise of the wicked is nothing we take lightly. And so we don't. Celebrating what the Lord did for Noah and his family in the flood is a correlation to what He has for us who believe and uses us to still reach the lost.

Trivializing the message in Noah is not the intent. I do agree that we should not stop at the pretty pictures that are painted of Noah's ark and the surface knowledge of there being animals and 8 people aboard. But we tell that story as it relates to salvation through Jesus Christ.

And I agree that the tragedy of the flood should not be trivialized. But to celebrate what God does for His children amid the destruction of the wicked - even His child with 7 other people whom He saved in the flood - is discussed in God's Word as being a time of rejoicing, whether it seems right in our eyes or not. Otherwise, King David and the other psalmists have quite a bit of explaining to do for how they rejoiced over the demise of the wicked. Well, I'm not their judge. Certainly, under the new covenant, we do not rejoice over the demise of the wicked but we do rejoice that, through Jesus Christ, we are saved from destruction by surrendering faith in Him. And that is the message that does not escape our conversations wherever we are - anywhere and at any event. In an event that we give, we lay out the setting for ourselves to be able to minister - just as Jesus sat among sinners and got criticized for it. (Having pointed that out, that would be the purpose of a mature Christian going to an adult Halloween party - to give them the gospel sitting among them not celebrating the darkness of the event.)

4) Those of us who teach the Word to children, we teach them in illustrations - coloring, arts/crafts, re-enactments, videos, and in this case, an event during a very opportune time as I mentioned above. We utilize such visuals and experiences for them to better understand the message. That's why I wouldn't suggest a Noah's Ark party as an adult party. Adults typically wouldn't need that much illustration.

5) Romans 14
"Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living. But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died. Let not then your good be evil spoken of: For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men. Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another. For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence. It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

Last edited:
Upvote 0