✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
The only things that are hard deal breakers for me are:

1. They want children. I don't. I never have. I never will. I'm not capable of being a father biologically, and I'm not a good role model to a child

2. Overly physical. This is highly subjective. I like a lot less physicality than most people. Much, much less

3. Has no curiosity about life. Doesn't ask any of the 'big questions' to try and figure them out. Doesn't try to learn anything new. Doesn't try to grow

4. Doesn't take the time to get to know me. Earn my trust first. Next earn my respect. Next, earn your way to friendship. Then, we might talk about escalating things to a platonic romantic

5. Acts impulsively based on emotions and hearsay rather than logic and reason. If she throws me in the "all guys do that..." camp, she gets handed her walking papers

Upvote 0

thisgal

Mar 23, 2015
Central Illinois
✟10,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Certain theological & political differences, disrespect, poor communication, lack of interest in study of scripture, overly interested in chasing spiritual 'highs', and arrogance are among the top of my NO-GO list.

Also, cats. I have allergies to blame for that one.

Upvote 0

KeeperOfMemories

Nov 29, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟19,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My biggest deal breaker is immaturity. I've lost interest in someone I dated when I found out she was immature. She got herself into debt, took no responsibility for it, and blamed someone else. She showed no interest in doing anything to get her spending under control. She didn't handle disappointment very well and very frequently had meltdowns. I wasn't impressed, and I lost interest in her.

I expect anyone I date to be able to be mature. No one's perfect, I know things happen, and most of us do have debt, but I can't be with someone who got into debt because she cannot control her spending. I cannot be with someone who gets incredibly defensive and we're unable to have hard conversations.

• Agree
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

Mel2020

Not perfect
May 9, 2018
WGTN
✟21,903.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My biggest deal breaker is immaturity. I've lost interest in someone I dated when I found out she was immature. She got herself into debt, took no responsibility for it, and blamed someone else. She showed no interest in doing anything to get her spending under control. She didn't handle disappointment very well and very frequently had meltdowns. I wasn't impressed, and I lost interest in her.

I expect anyone I date to be able to be mature. No one's perfect, I know things happen, and most of us do have debt, but I can't be with someone who got into debt because she cannot control her spending. I cannot be with someone who gets incredibly defensive and we're unable to have hard conversations.
Are you mature? Because it’s easy to say that you don’t want to be with someone who is immature.

Also, not trying to defend this woman, but what did you do to help her or support her? I mean, we all have weaknesses and fall short of Gods Glory, so instead of watching her fall into that trap, did you do anything to support her?

Upvote 0

IntriKate

Nov 23, 2019
✟105,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Someone who isnt open to God or respectful about my relationship with him. If I was to ever allow another man into my heart he would have to have depth and the ability to bond on an emotional level and communicate with no barriers or boundarys.

• Agree
Upvote 0

KeeperOfMemories

Nov 29, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟19,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are you mature? Because it’s easy to say that you don’t want to be with someone who is immature.

Also, not trying to defend this woman, but what did you do to help her or support her? I mean, we all have weaknesses and fall short of Gods Glory, so instead of watching her fall into that trap, did you do anything to support her?

I'm more mature than she was. Yes, we all have weaknesses and no one is perfect, but there's still a baseline level of maturity I expect from people.

I didn't watch her fall in to the trap. She hid this from me in the beginning. It wasn't until later on that I found out she was in a serious financial mess, and I felt pretty misled and angry about it. I decided I didn't want to see her again. If I had known from the very beginning, I would've stopped seeing her much earlier on.

People have debt. Things happen. College is expensive. But if you're in debt because you don't know how to responsibly handle money, then you need to figure that out before you get in a relationship.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Mel2020
Upvote 0

Cross Over the Lake

Jan 12, 2020
Lake Havasu City
✟17,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
I think for me it’s all about outlook and intellect. I’ve dated women who have had no opinions or ideas or could hold a deeper thought conversation. Which is fine, just not for me. Having a poor outlook is kind of a dealbreaker for me too, not into pessimism.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was discussing this with my best friend a few days ago. She pried it from me. :D

Firm no: Unbeliever, overly religious, anti-headship, despises the wealthy, needs extreme privacy, doesn’t have a heart for the lost, misers.

Toeing the line: Not a good conversationalist, super serious, socially awkward, very liberal, not adaptable.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Cross Over the Lake

Jan 12, 2020
Lake Havasu City
✟17,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
I was discussing this with my best friend a few days ago. She pried it from me. :D

Firm no: Unbeliever, overly religious, anti-headship, despises the wealthy, needs extreme privacy, doesn’t have a heart for the lost, misers.

Toeing the line: Not a good conversationalist, super serious, socially awkward, very liberal, not adaptable.

~Bella

What is anti-headship??

You got some good standards there.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cross Over the Lake

Jan 12, 2020
Lake Havasu City
✟17,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for the compliment. :)

In respect to biblical headship. I believe men and women are equal in divinity. None is better than the other. But our functions differ. This doesn’t suggest women are incapable of leading (I have that gift), or men automatically lead well because of their gender.

It implies a responsibility and accountability for him in the relationship. This doesn’t negate the woman’s contribution or voice. I’m explaining this to alleviate arguments. ;)

In my vernacular, I express the same in this way (I snagged it from my profile):

Presence...Passion...and Purpose are my mantras. I abide with Him and He in me.

Singleness brought an interlude of personal enhancement. I delight in His refinement and the many qualities He’s added to my person. I view marriage as a vocation and broach the subject with intention and enthusiasm. My philosophy is expressed through these ideals:

Surrender...Service...and Submission. The embodiment of divine order. The bookends reenforce the reality God is the conduit of my obedience. Not man.

Respect...Admiration...and Love. The manifestation of the principles made real and demonstrated to my beloved. It’s the fulfillment of ‘we’ consciousness. The union is solidified.

The privilege of devoting myself to another and pouring liberally into him is my aim. I’ve lived this. You can see what that looks like here. It’s more than words. :)

~Bella

I’m going to have to bookmark this, super powerful. I know I could benefit from reading this for days to come.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Agnos

thriving
Mar 9, 2020
Nowherelandia
✟10,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What is your biggest deal-breaker when it comes to relationships?

DEAL-BREAKERS:

First of all, let me start this with the biggest flaw any human can have:
1. No interest in or makes no effort for a lifelong self-improvement journey.

Off-putting in no particular sequence:
Entitlement, unambitious.
Paranoid, frequent projecting.
Not empathetic and mannerless.
Poor communication/transparency.
Dishonesty therefore untrustworthy.
Heavily reliant on external validations.
No sense of responsibility whatsoever.
Constant need to always be on the phone.
Behavioural addictions: gambling addiction, alcohol addiction, sex addiction, shopping addiction, video game addiction, food addiction, selfie addiction, materialistic hoarding, and any usage of the following substances: drug, cigarette and inappropriate contentographic video.
Not finding any of the same things funny.
Promiscuity
Bad hygiene
Disorganised
Massive debts
Racist or bigoted
Moral decadence
Not a critical thinker
Celebrity worshipping
Inability to admit mistakes
Unapologetic, arrogant ignorance
Anger issues, exploitative, manipulative
Immature response to positive criticisms
All form of verbal, emotional, physical abuse

* Characteristics of personality disorders *

That being said, you don't need people in relationships to be perfect. You need them to have a good handle of their imperfections. Over the course of 8 and 7 bitter-sweet years, I broke myself trying to fix (educate) two non-introspective people who saw nothing wrong with their toxic behaviours; people who never truly meant their apologies. From then on I do my best to avoid individuals that resemble my difficult past. Such unreciprocal relationship is not worth sacrificing my mental health.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
DEAL-BREAKERS:

First of all, let me start this with the biggest flaw any human can have:
1. No interest in or makes no effort for a lifelong self-improvement journey.

Off-putting in no particular sequence:

Most of the things that bother me are on your list

I’d add fanatics to the group. Especially religious and political ones. Along with woke/cancel culture types and people who violate boundaries and privacy.

And untidiness. Respecting your home is a mark of maturity. If you don’t care for your environment you won’t care for mine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Agnos

thriving
Mar 9, 2020
Nowherelandia
✟10,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Most of the things that bother me are on your list
I’d add fanatics to the group. Especially religious and political ones. Along with woke/cancel culture types and people who violate boundaries and privacy.
Care to share the rest? It's not everyday that I meet somebody who shares my troubles, and probably the first that I feel inclined to believe they really do.
I'm with you on that, ((though possibly not for the same reason)). What do you think is wrong with the cancel culture?

I think cancel culture perpetuates brutal black-and-white thinking; the notion that one single perceived "offense" overrules all of your good and achievement. This is pretty much identical to how a narcissist mind works, "You're either all good or all bad and nothing in between. I don't agree with you 100% therefore you must be destroyed or dismissed." It's frightening to witness today's highly intolerant society adopting that kind of mindset. On the other hand, I also don't support the "cancel cancel culture". The answer is rarely the opposite of extremes. And as the saying goes, the only way to avoid criticism is to do nothing, say nothing and be nothing. Feedback and criticisms are vital to personal growth as we sometimes fail to recognise our own shortcomings. People should not be banned or discouraged from voicing disagreement towards actual oppression, corruption, ignorance or otherwise. Our best interest lies in embracing the importance of having different perspectives and reasoning, and then working together to listen and clarify if something is objectively amiss. A form of penalty is often necessary and so is giving people the chance to redeem themselves.

"Cancel culture has been incredibly effective at combating sexism, racism, or any other type of abuse or harmful wrongdoing to others. It's held people accountable for their actions in ways that wasn't possible in the past."

The problem being, there isn't always a clear line. People don't always make informed decisions and risk accusing innocent people. And when it does come, it comes in waves.. a bandwagon mentality, a witch-hunt. These people don't educate. They bully, throw slurs, horrible insults, cast stones, and see nothing wrong with the barbaric act.

It's not rare that I would encounter denigrating remarks about a criminal's physical appearance in a crime documentary making the top comments. I couldn't help but wonder: How is that related to the crime he/she has committed? Can we just focus on that? At one point I did write about the lack of correlation to which they all responded with hostile fallacies "Ew, only people who are just as bad defends the criminal! You're a BleepBleep. People like you have no empathy. Heartless! Shame on you."

I found that to be quite ironic. They don't understand. It was not a defense for criminal act, only basic decency. Just because someone committed some crime, doesn't make it okay to ridicule his/her appearance unless strictly relevant. But as it stands, this isn't a beauty pageant. The fact that thousands and thousands of people believe this to not only be an acceptable behaviour but "good justice" that they took evident sadistic pleasure out of is plain horrifying. This is just straight up bullying, I thought to myself. Do they not realise everyone can read their comments? Among them there might just be people and even teenagers who weren't fortunate enough to win the genetic lottery, bestowed with less than what our generation today considers "ideal"; yet not the slightest ounce of concern for the massive cultural impact or how individuals would feel about the numerous demeaning comments on a trait they identify with. Oh wait.. no, that's because they're part of the mob too! Which brings me to: Hypocrisy.

We condemn discrimination and our judgemental society but many of us don't realise that we're part of what makes "society". We set the trend every time we worship and put another human on a throne for sheer looks or certain qualities and cast aside the rest, and then wonder "why is the world so vain and unfair?". Rather the question should be, How could you expect to be accepted when you don't accept others? Oh how better the world would be if people actually learn to love themselves instead of anticipating the love they're not able to provide. We know we're shifting towards the right direction when differences fascinate and dye-hard-fans cheers "Wow masterpiece!" instead of "Wow you're so hot!". But I digress. Most people don't go around telling how worthless a stranger is for not fitting the latest cultural standard of beauty. Of course not, they have a public image to uphold, they don't want to be mean, or should I say, appear mean. But here it is, the opportunity arise and their true thoughts are spilled, ultimately revealing the darker side to humanity. It came to my attention that even the nicest people lack awareness. There's this nasty entitlement to treat people however inhumanely after one big public mistake.

In essence, everyone seems sane on the surface until you know them better. I used to think that the world is full of evil people. But strictly speaking, the world is not filled with malice any more than it is filled with character weaknesses; pure evil is rare. All humans have unique scars, many unfortunately never bother to study. Not knowing how to express fears and insecurities properly as a result, people become cruel, nonsensical, and crazy. What was friendly quickly turned into foul upon *perceived* danger that may or may not really be. They don't see they're hurting you, they only hear your shrieks - Tragic when two people in love keep triggering each other with their own defence mechanisms. I used to have someone who finds me cruel or perfect depending on the minute. But I know I am neither. I can see why she would think that however. Psychological splitting, object constancy, poor self-esteem.. Not many people appreciate having their abusive behaviours kindly pointed out. Many are unable to face their own flaws and the smallest disagreement, so much that their self worth is at the complete mercy of external approval and 'never appearing wrong' than not actually remaining wrong. Anyone who loves themselves enough will be happy to be given the opportunity to self improve, hence self-sufficiency should always comes first. After all, "your relationship with yourself sets the tone for every other relationship you have." But in this day and age, it's hard to hold out hope for the future of mankind when the average person would rather spend thousands of dollars to improve their external appearance than zero cents on self introspection. It doesn't help that escapism is readily available everywhere and only a gadget away.. distracting people even further from themselves.

Upvote 0

Agnos

thriving
Mar 9, 2020
Nowherelandia
✟10,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
And untidiness. Respecting your home is a mark of maturity. If you don’t care for your environment you won’t care for mine.

Yup, untidiness. Reason why I kicked my sibling out of the house. No respect for shared environment and endless argument over same old littering and unwillingness to clean up after herself.

Nobody should have to repeatedly nag and coax another functioning adult into washing their own dishes. Everyday like that and you'll start to hate your life and even yourself.

• Informative
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Care to share the rest? It's not everyday that I meet somebody who shares my troubles, and probably the first that I feel inclined to believe they really do.

I’m not surprised. Practicality was a hallmark of my upbringing as was reason. That usually resonates with atheists and skeptics and we get along well.

My number one pet peeve is dishonesty. We have a right to make informed decisions and know what we’re taking on. When someone hides the truth or tries to camouflage their problems it bothers me.

I'm with you on that, ((though possibly not for the same reason)). What do you think is wrong with the cancel culture?

No one’s opinion is the end-all on a subject. Nor is it necessary to agree or validate their stance. Contorting yourself by demand or to win brownie points is inauthentic. The indignity of being a jellyfish should give you pause. Punishing others who refuse to pacify fragile egos is cowardly. They hide behind lofty ideals and pithy rhetoric. But their smallness is evident. They’re not fooling anyone.

Feedback and criticisms are vital to personal growth as we sometimes fail to recognise our own shortcomings.

The problem isn’t criticism. It’s the fact we’re ruled by a need for acceptance and approval that causes problems. They don’t agree. So what. That’s powerful. Own your difference and weigh feedback rationally. Keep the good and toss the rest.

I found that to be quite ironic. They don't understand. It was not a defense for criminal act, only basic decency.

Criminals are social pariahs and many consider them barbaric. Especially the heavy stuff. Money offenses are more respectable than breaking in someone’s home. You have to consider the headspace and moxy required to commit certain crimes. No one wants to fathom the possibility of doing the same. Their comments are a knee jerk expression of difference.

We set the trend every time we worship and put another human on a throne for sheer looks or certain qualities and cast aside the rest, and then wonder "why is the world so vain and unfair?".

We all have biases and a measure of privilege in relation to others. No one wants to trade places with someone worse off. Society esteems scarcity. They laud qualities in limited supply. Are we willing to diminish our attributes to even the playing field? A little less beauty, less intelligence, less success and so on.

But I digress. Most people don't go around telling how worthless a stranger is for not fitting the latest cultural standard of beauty. Of course not, they have a public image to uphold, they don't want to be mean, or should I say, appear mean.

As an aspiring designer I have a defined look in mind. A face and silhouette which expresses my vision and brings it to life. Artistry is a dialogue with the inner man. You can’t make someone your muse for political correctness. That’s a horrible way to work. The artist must own their vision in spite of dissent. Otherwise you’re a puppet.

Many are unable to face their own flaws and the smallest disagreement, so much that their self worth is at the complete mercy of external approval and 'never appearing wrong' than not actually remaining wrong.

A lot of people are looking for forgiveness and repair. I don’t equate relationships with psychiatry. Yes, there’s mutual healing. But it should be a continuum of what they’ve undertaken. Not the beginning.

But in this day and age, it's hard to hold out hope for the future of mankind when the average person would rather spend thousands of dollars to improve their external appearance than zero cents on self introspection.

I spend money liberally on self-improvement. I’ve had a development plan in place since my twenties. I refined it a year ago for the next leg of my journey. I hire coaches, read books, and form alliances with others doing the same.

Personal growth is a huge interest and I’m very goal driven. I was reared in an environment with positive reinforcement and encouragement to succeed. We had a lot of love and support. I’m not working against myself. I’m working with myself. That’s makes a difference. Playing offense requires greater energy and discipline. Many can’t do it alone. They need help.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nobody should have to repeatedly nag and coax another functioning adult into washing their own dishes. Everyday like that and you'll start to hate your life and even yourself.

Adulthood is a reset. Whatever we lacked in childhood can be addressed as adults. We can tackle the brokenness and unfulfilled wants. We don’t have to stay in a rut.

Tidiness wasn’t a way of life for some. Their homes were unkempt and disorderly. But we don’t have to replicate poor behavior. We can choose a different ending.

There’s no reason for anyone to live slovenly. The choice to do so is a personal statement. You’re saying you don’t care or you expect someone else to handle it. It isn’t an expression of love or gratitude. You’re taking your blessings for granted.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

• Informative
Upvote 0

Agnos

thriving
Mar 9, 2020
Nowherelandia
✟10,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Adulthood is a reset. Whatever we lacked in childhood can be addressed as adults. We can tackle the brokenness and unfulfilled wants. We don’t have to stay in a rut.

Tidiness wasn’t a way of life for some. Their homes were unkempt and disorderly. But we don’t have to replicate poor behavior. We can choose a different ending.

There’s no reason for anyone to live slovenly. The choice to do so is a personal statement. You’re saying you don’t care or you expect someone else to handle it. It isn’t an expression of love or gratitude. You’re taking your blessings for granted.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Eh? You did me a disservice with that cherry-picking quotation and the preachy response following after. While I fully agree with the above, I think you are advising the wrong person under false premises with your delivery. Much like a slander, it makes me feel misrepresented and misunderstood. It's upsetting.

Again, whether this is an attempt to mess with my head or you have made yet another honest mistake - but "dishonesty" is up there in my deal breaker list. Thanks for sharing but I was asking for the rest that I haven't already mentioned.

"I hire coaches, read books, and form alliances with others doing the same."

Good for you, bell. It's always a good idea to wisely invest in yourself.

"No one’s opinion is the end-all on a subject. Punishing others who refuse to pacify fragile egos is cowardly. They hide behind lofty ideals and pithy rhetoric." - bèlla

Depends on your definition of punishment.

While I strongly disagree with their denigrating ways, I can still appreciate the bigger cause behind it. I hope you realise people are trying to make the world a better place through activism that promotes progression and basic human rights. We live in a day and age where barbaric acts of terrorism have made a comeback. Coincidence? No. Endorsements from public figures play a huge role in shaping the world and younger generations. Sadly most parents aren't doing too good of a job monitoring their children's media usage, and as we all know it, people (including children) are known to ever so blindly follow trends. Bad exposure leads to catastrophic influence. The world is over when hate, racism and bigotry, are normalised. There's a reason why we have rules, even on this site. Special circumstances call for special measures but most rules have positive functions behind them; that being to maintain collective safety.

Hatred poses considerable safety concerns and actual threats in real life; millions of people have fallen victim to hate crime throughout history, Nowadays, following the appearance of public discriminatory statements uttered and tweeted by big political figures, there has been a drastic uprise in civilians attack against minorities (blacks, asians, muslims, churches, lgbtq, etc) and in rare occasions, white folks. Not even walking along the streets is safe anymore. Thousands died in recent years in the hands of hateful people and even more suffered injuries and were harassed. It's all over the news.

"The problem isn’t criticism. It’s the fact we’re ruled by a need for acceptance and approval that causes problems."

Same difference. Causal relation. I already covered dependency on external validation time and time again.

"They don’t agree. So what."
People die. That's what..

Just what kind of future do you see IF you expect people to remain completely silent in the face of cruel injustice?

I stand by my previous post, it's our job as members of society to guide and make educative feedbacks whether or not knowledge is accepted.

"No one wants to trade places with someone worse off."

Do speak for yourself, for I take no part in that. I give my best in life but I'm not bound to this world; I have no problem forsaking my existence even more so for greater good. I will gladfully trade places with someone worse off under three simple conditions. That their situation is sure to significantly improve - also meaning optimal use of their second chance at life, is a good person by my definition, and takes a very good care of my dogs.

"Are we willing to diminish our attributes to even the playing field? A little less beauty, less intelligence, less success and so on."

Acknowledging someone's achievements doesn't include the grand worship or disdain towards things none of us has control over. Genetic make-up for example. We don't see a lot of "<insert singer> your music is soo good! I love you!" more often we hear them go "<insert singer> you're soo hot! I love you!". To clarify, it is infinitely better to be inspired by brains, hard work and skills than genetic lottery or luck.

"You can’t make someone your muse for political correctness. The artist must own their vision in spite of dissent. Otherwise you’re a puppet."
I agree with your statement but I'm not sure why you're telling me this. I speak from the heart and my own conscience.. As I have previously described: being the scared social beings that we are, many of us have traded off authenticity and honesty for approval and I don't like that.

Also if any of my replies seem unfitting as much as I find some of yours fallacious, that might be caused by English being my third language. Just correct me if I understood wrong.

"Their comments are a knee jerk expression."

Oh no, I disagree. There's absolutely no excuse to make fun of someone's physical appearance in herds after an unrelated crime. Criminals are humans too. Bullying speaks more about the bully than it does about the target. Such ignoble behaviour proves moral and cultural decline.

I’m not surprised. Practicality was a hallmark of my upbringing as was reason. That usually resonates with atheists and skeptics and we get along well.

My number one pet peeve is dishonesty. We have a right to make informed decisions and know what we’re taking on. When someone hides the truth or tries to camouflage their problems it bothers me.

No one’s opinion is the end-all on a subject. Nor is it necessary to agree or validate their stance. Contorting yourself by demand or to win brownie points is inauthentic. The indignity of being a jellyfish should give you pause. Punishing others who refuse to pacify fragile egos is cowardly. They hide behind lofty ideals and pithy rhetoric. But their smallness is evident. They’re not fooling anyone.

Feedback and criticisms are vital to personal growth as we sometimes fail to recognise our own shortcomings.
The problem isn’t criticism. It’s the fact we’re ruled by a need for acceptance and approval that causes problems. They don’t agree. So what. That’s powerful. Own your difference and weigh feedback rationally. Keep the good and toss the rest.

I found that to be quite ironic. They don't understand. It was not a defense for criminal act, only basic decency.
Criminals are social pariahs and many consider them barbaric. Especially the heavy stuff. Money offenses are more respectable than breaking in someone’s home. You have to consider the headspace and moxy required to commit certain crimes. No one wants to fathom the possibility of doing the same. Their comments are a knee jerk expression of difference.

We set the trend every time we worship and put another human on a throne for sheer looks or certain qualities and cast aside the rest, and then wonder "why is the world so vain and unfair?".
We all have biases and a measure of privilege in relation to others. No one wants to trade places with someone worse off. Society esteems scarcity. They laud qualities in limited supply. Are we willing to diminish our attributes to even the playing field? A little less beauty, less intelligence, less success and so on.

But I digress. Most people don't go around telling how worthless a stranger is for not fitting the latest cultural standard of beauty. Of course not, they have a public image to uphold, they don't want to be mean, or should I say, appear mean.
As an aspiring designer I have a defined look in mind. A face and silhouette which expresses my vision and brings it to life. Artistry is a dialogue with the inner man. You can’t make someone your muse for political correctness. That’s a horrible way to work. The artist must own their vision in spite of dissent. Otherwise you’re a puppet.

Many are unable to face their own flaws and the smallest disagreement, so much that their self worth is at the complete mercy of external approval and 'never appearing wrong' than not actually remaining wrong.
A lot of people are looking for forgiveness and repair. I don’t equate relationships with psychiatry. Yes, there’s mutual healing. But it should be a continuum of what they’ve undertaken. Not the beginning.

But in this day and age, it's hard to hold out hope for the future of mankind when the average person would rather spend thousands of dollars to improve their external appearance than zero cents on self introspection
I spend money liberally on self-improvement. I’ve had a development plan in place since my twenties. I refined it a year ago for the next leg of my journey. I hire coaches, read books, and form alliances with others doing the same.

Personal growth is a huge interest and I’m very goal driven. I was reared in an environment with positive reinforcement and encouragement to succeed. We had a lot of love and support. I’m not working against myself. I’m working with myself. That’s makes a difference. Playing offense requires greater energy and discipline. Many can’t do it alone. They need help.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0