"No evidence that COVID-19 created any excess deaths" - John Hopkins University Newsletter

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟187,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some people are denying even science sources simply because they don't like the bad news and want to hear good news.

They only believe what they WANT to believe. That's pretty much what it boils down to. Sadly, they keep typing up these long, drawn out, repetitive posts they've been hanging on to since March and April when it first started in the US. (Or earlier, depending on where you live).

When the local news posts on social media a recent "surge" in cases/deaths via Covid, tons of commenters are trolling the "fake media" conflating the virus. I'm surprised the local news hasn't disabled their comments by the time, if I was in a charge, I would.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
This doesn't mean anything. I get a kick out of people who after almost a year into this keep using this narrative of "Well, I don't know anyone who has the virus, thus I'll underplay Covid!"
My point was that it means something to me.

Give it time, after Thanksgiving and Christmas, it'll sky rocket.
Maybe, maybe not. That's a claim which I heard months ago too.

Pshhh, people are still pushing the "death rate is still low", actually now, it's been rising up. But still, even if you survive, it can cause long term collateral damage. AKA Covid long haulers. People get Covid, feel better, then it hits them again, but for a longer period of time. There are even personal fitness trainers that can barely walk a couple of blocks without feeling shortness of breath. Even if you survive, some suffer through the symptoms and organ damage can occur.
This is hearsay (for me, and from my perspective). I haven't seen any of this for myself ... not a single person from the hundreds I personally know.

Depends on which organizations you're referring to. To whom are you referring ?? The buddies and pals that you're referring at the beginning of your post to via anecdotal experiences?
I'm referring to personal, direct experience & personally trusted individuals I know (e.g. family/friends) vs. everyone else beyond that circle.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
My point was that it means something to me.

Maybe, maybe not. That's a claim which I heard months ago too.

This is hearsay (for me, and from my perspective). I haven't seen any of this for myself ... not a single person from the hundreds I personally know.

I'm referring to personal, direct experience & personally trusted individuals I know (e.g. family/friends) vs. everyone else beyond that circle.

This isn't how science or evidence work. Every statement in this posts places *you* as the subject or object. It just doesn't hold for the claims you are making, or rather dismissing.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
This isn't how science or evidence work. Every statement in this posts places *you* as the subject or object. It just doesn't hold for the claims you are making, or rather dismissing.
It does hold, for my own personal judgment of the issue.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,358.00
Faith
Christian
Some people are denying even science sources simply because they don't like the bad news and want to hear good news.

It's just another part of the conspiracy narrative.

"Tens of thousands of doctors, nurses, virologists, scientists, etc. are all deluded or pushing fake news - here's my take on COVID.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟831,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Studies I've read points to the idea that the fatality rate is miniscule - less than half of the annual flu.

0.08% of the entire US population has died of COVID-19. Not just out of the people who tested positive; out of everyone in the US.

The fatality rate for flu is something like 0.1% out of those who get flu.

• Informative
Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,803.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your sympathy. He was a friend of more than fifty years. Our families have been entwined for most of this time. We were unable to attend his funeral, much to our sorrow.

It is painful to read of people denying the danger of the pandemic to other people. When they assert the risks to themselves of a vaccine they are ignoring their responsibility to others. So many Americans visited their families for Thanksgiving. A proportion of them visited covid upon their loved ones, some of whom will certainly die of it. That's Thanksgiving?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟187,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And we now know that your personal judgement on these issues is worthless.

Yeah, let's all listen to ananda, for she knows what she's talking about based on only personal experiences...a totally flawed way to look at the world.

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It does hold, for my own personal judgment of the issue.
Which is totally irrelevant to those in medicine of science, or anyone else for that matter.

Posting a limerick about a unicorn and exclaiming "this holds true, for my own personal judgment of the existence of unicorns" would carry about as much relevance to reality.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Which is totally irrelevant to those in medicine of science, or anyone else for that matter.
You speak of them as possessing a singular monolithic voice.

That is clearly not the case, as exampled by my OP - an example of a disssenting voice; there are disagreements among many in any field, and it was those dissenting voices on this subject which accords with my own personal direct experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟878,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You speak of them as possessing a singular monolithic voice.

That is clearly not the case, as exampled by my OP - an example of a disssenting voice; there are disagreements among many in any field, and it was those dissenting voices on this subject which accords with my own personal direct experience.

However, the dissenting voice doesn't seem to match up with the available data from the CDC they cited, as outlined earlier in the thread: "No evidence that COVID-19 created any excess deaths" - John Hopkins University Newsletter

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
However, the dissenting voice doesn't seem to match up with the available data from the CDC they cited, as outlined earlier in the thread: "No evidence that COVID-19 created any excess deaths" - John Hopkins University Newsletter
Please re-read your own links. The chart and data you're referring to does not refer to "overall deaths by week" for any reason. Your chart referred to deaths "associated with influenza, COVID-19, or pneumonia".

That was the point of the article I referred to originally. Yes, on the surface it looks like flu/covid/pneumonia deaths significantly went up (as you correctly pointed out), but it also appears that deaths from other causes (heart disease, etc.) significantly went down. This supports that author's contention that other causes were simply re-categorized as flu/covid/pneumonia deaths.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, let's all listen to ananda, for she knows what she's talking about based on only personal experiences...a totally flawed way to look at the world.
I'm not asking anyone to listen to me, I'm just presenting the dissenting perspective for consideration to those who are open to challenging blind faith.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟878,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟878,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
upload_2020-12-1_10-11-46.png

Here is a screenshot from what opens at the link. Notice in column G you have all deaths, and then later those from flu/covid/pneumonia, which are far smaller.

They need to list total deaths to determine the percentage of the total from flu/covid/pneumonia.

And it is the "all deaths" portion we are looking at, and which the article addresses. It does show a spike.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
View attachment 289808

Here is a screenshot from what opens at the link. Notice in column G you have all deaths, and then later those from flu/covid/pneumonia, which are far smaller.

They need to list total deaths to determine the percentage of the total from flu/covid/pneumonia.

And it is the "all deaths" portion we are looking at, and which the article addresses. It does show a spike.
"All deaths" ... from what cause?

The data appears to disagree with Prof. Genevieve Briand's data which she also retrieved from the CDC's website.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟878,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"All deaths" ... from what cause?

The data appears to disagree with Prof. Genevieve Briand's data which she also retrieved from the CDC's website.

All deaths are from all causes. That is why they use it to formulate the percentage of deaths caused by covid, flu, etc. as a portion of the total.

I will pull the data from the same place she does in the video and we can look at it.

You can pull it as well.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: JohnDB
Upvote 0