Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
What I am saying that once you have given your vote, you can then make your opinions known to the elected politicians. When enough people, for example, dont want the politicians to do X and threaten to vote differently if X is done, then the politicians might not choose X because they want to get reelected.

Of course, if you dont vote as a matter of course, you officialy declare your opinion as meaningless to the reelection of the ruling politicians. That drastically reduces the chance that you influence their actions.

What would it take for you to decide who to vote for in the first place?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,675.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What would it take for you to decide who to vote for in the first place?
I generally look at both the track record of a party in the last few years as well as their promises for the future. I also always take an impartial test to see which party aligns best with my views on key issues (don't know if you have those in sweden, but in germany those are standard). There are some parties I would never vote for (like communists or far right parties).

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I generally look at both the track record of a party in the last few years as well as their promises for the future. I also always take an impartial test to see which party aligns best with my views on key issues (don't know if you have those in sweden, but in germany those are standard). There are some parties I would never vote for (like communists or far right parties).

Thanks for your response, I have attempted to reply a few times but did not submit.
Cannot seem to get the wording right.

One has to be careful of governments and politicians,
that is what I was told from when I was small.

When I was growing up it was not done to rely on benefits
from social service,

Parents and eight chidren, could be tough at times.
but we got through with Gods help.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,917.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They'll never listen to your opinion. That would be bad for your democracy.

17 million signatures would constitute an overthrow of the referendum result. But neither May or Corbyn are listening cause they are too wrapped up in their own political realities to see the thing for what it is ie a colossal mistake. BREXIT cannot happen like this without seriously damaging Britain

• Haha
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,917.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even if 20 million vote for it, they're never gonna stop leaving.

it would require that the force of public pressure provoke a revolt against the leaders of both major parties -as both seem intent on Brexit right now. But never say never even if never has a 99% probability. I and everyone else who signed that petition will at least be able to say that we did our best to stop it with a clean conscience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,917.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I were at the March in London today, over a million people in a peaceful protest - was great to be a part of it

Good on you. With numbers like that It seems to me that the argument that there would be instability in the UK if BREXIT is revoked are null and void since the argument may equally apply the other way. If this government with Corbyns tacit consent leads the country into the catastrophe of BREXIT there may well be instability from those opposed to that move. Hope you signed the petition

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,675.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
And over a million marched demanding a new vote. For Americans this is the equivalent of 5-6 million matching through the capital.
Sounds like a lot of people who are endangering democracy.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like a lot of people who are endangering democracy.

The Ancient Greek Historian Thucydides, who himself witnessed the collapse of Democracy in Athens, described democracy as 'acknowledged folly'. Interesting given that the ancient Athenians invented democracy and it collapsed there after taking a positive popular vote in 418 BC on an issue that was beyond their power to achieve. You can get 17.4 million, or indeed however many people to vote for something but if it's not tangible then it matters not a jot how many people vote for it. Reality trumps democracy. God Bless :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.