London, UK
✟823,917.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mrs May has been on her feet defending the latest deal from the EU over BREXIT for a few hours now:

Brexit latest - May faces Commons grilling

It seems clear that this might be the best deal on offer and it is better to have a deal than no deal. It also however seems clear given the level of rebellion in the Tory party and universal opposition from the other parties this deal is not going to pass parliament. Given that there will be no election before March 2019 and a referendum has been ruled out it looks therefore that Britain will have a no deal BREXIT. There are some calls to extend the transition period to accommodate this but there is even disagreement about that.

Obviously a no deal BREXIT is not ideal but it will represent a clean break from European control and a genuine fresh start for the UK.

What do you think are the implications of a no deal BREXIT. Is there a realistic alternative in the circumstances?

Reactions: dms1972

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To be honest I'm not very knowledgeable about politics (I'm also not completely unlearned). I have no fear of the implications and hopefully that's not ignorance. I just think humans were made resilient by God and we've been through worse than will happen as a result of brexit. Bit of good old fashioned team work will sort things out

Upvote 0

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
Personally I think Brexit is a terrible idea and should be scrapped. That is the realistic alternative in the face of all the lies the public were told by the leave campaign.

This Brexit deal also ignores that the UK is supposed to be a family of countries, each one valued. Yet, Scotland voted remain by 63% and our wishes have been consistently ignored by the PM.

As the First Minister said, "In these circumstances it is more important than ever that we are not faced with a false choice between a bad deal and no deal, no one should be effectively blackmailed into a choice between the frying pan or the fire. This proposed deal would be a bad one for Scotland, taking us out of a single market eight times the size of the UK market alone and posing a huge threat to jobs, investment and living standards. If this deal is indeed rejected by Parliament then the UK government must return to the negotiating table to secure a better one. Our bottom line - short of continued EU membership - is continued, permanent membership of the single market and customs union."

If it comes up, and I think it will, I will be voting yes to an independent Scotland within the EU.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Brexit is bad for everyone envolved, and a no deal brexit is even worse.

In both cases, the UK suffers the bigger repercussions.

Also, so sorry about scottland. You guys got suckered into staying in the UK to stay in the european union and then england drags you out. Hope you get to rejoin soon as an independent country.

And if that doesn't work out, might I suggest a plan b?

Schweiz-Schottland.jpg

Upvote 0

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP

Also, so sorry about scottland. You guys got suckered into staying in the UK to stay in the european union and then england drags you out. Hope you get to rejoin soon as an independent country.

Schweiz-Schottland.jpg
This made me smile! Thank you!

It's my personal hope that Scotland will vote for independence, and rejoin the EU. I cannot understand a worldview that is isolationist and inward looking, driven mostly by an unfounded fear of migration.

Nicola Sturgeon, the First Minister of Scotland has today said that she will outline her plans after the Westminster vote on the "deal". The Scottish Government will be delivering a Brexit Statement this afternoon, likely at 2.30pm (UK time). I'll be eagerly watching!
Brexit statement

Please pray for Scotland, and the UK.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,917.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To be honest I'm not very knowledgeable about politics (I'm also not completely unlearned). I have no fear of the implications and hopefully that's not ignorance. I just think humans were made resilient by God and we've been through worse than will happen as a result of brexit. Bit of good old fashioned team work will sort things out

I agree that Britain will ultimate work it out whether or not it goes or stays. Also that this decision should not be driven by fear

Reactions: Dansiph
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

Schweiz-Schottland.jpg

Trade places with Switzerland?

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,917.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally I think Brexit is a terrible idea and should be scrapped. That is the realistic alternative in the face of all the lies the public were told by the leave campaign.

The people did vote for it in the referendum. I voted against it as did you. But surely respecting the choice of the people is what this process is about. You cannot simply scrap what the people voted for though I suppose you could suggest that they get a chance to review that decision before it is implemented in a second referendum or general election. That is what Labour is pushing for but May has ruled out both. In my view Jeremy Corbyn is simply not fit to govern so a general election right now is out of the question when linked to the EU issue where people might vote against the Tories on this issue alone. So the realities of power mean that the choice is between this deal BREXIT and no deal BREXIT.

This Brexit deal also ignores that the UK is supposed to be a family of countries, each one valued. Yet, Scotland voted remain by 63% and our wishes have been consistently ignored by the PM.

As did London and Northern Ireland but it does not follow that these should simply remain in the EU while the rest of the country leaves. The decision to remain or leave the UK is a separate one from the EU decision.

As the First Minister said, "In these circumstances it is more important than ever that we are not faced with a false choice between a bad deal and no deal, no one should be effectively blackmailed into a choice between the frying pan or the fire. This proposed deal would be a bad one for Scotland, taking us out of a single market eight times the size of the UK market alone and posing a huge threat to jobs, investment and living standards. If this deal is indeed rejected by Parliament then the UK government must return to the negotiating table to secure a better one. Our bottom line - short of continued EU membership - is continued, permanent membership of the single market and customs union."

If it comes up, and I think it will, I will be voting yes to an independent Scotland within the EU.

The rest of the UK are mainly opposed to the Freedom of movement that brought so many Europeans into Britain. Scotland got very few of these immigrants and so remains enthusiastic about the single market to which freedom of movement is tied. If Britain is looking to firm up its borders then it will be outside the single market and customs union. The issue of Northern Ireland could be resolved by leaving it in while remaining de facto a part of the UK

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,917.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Schweiz-Schottland.jpg

No Swiss guy I know will ever swap the Alps for the Cairgorms. No Scotsman I know will swap Haggis for pansy swiss chocs and cheese.NO Swiss man I know considers being in the centre of the EU to be membership. They are an island in a sea of blue much like the UK on the edge of Europe.

So this makes no sense to me.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,917.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This made me smile! Thank you!

It's my personal hope that Scotland will vote for independence, and rejoin the EU. I cannot understand a worldview that is isolationist and inward looking, driven mostly by an unfounded fear of migration.

Nicola Sturgeon, the First Minister of Scotland has today said that she will outline her plans after the Westminster vote on the "deal". The Scottish Government will be delivering a Brexit Statement this afternoon, likely at 2.30pm (UK time). I'll be eagerly watching!
Brexit statement

Please pray for Scotland, and the UK.

An independent Scotland would probably give the Tories a permanent majority South of the border. But it is not clear that this even what the Scottish people want even if it means the loss of EU access, after all they voted against it last time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
No Swiss guy I know will ever swap the Alps for the Cairgorms. No Scotsman I know will swap Haggis for pansy swiss chocs and cheese.NO Swiss man I know considers being in the centre of the EU to be membership. They are an island in a sea of blue much like the UK on the edge of Europe.

So this makes no sense to me.
It was a joke.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
An independent Scotland would probably give the Tories a permanent majority South of the border. But it is not clear that this even what the Scottish people want even if it means the loss of EU access, after all they voted against it last time.
A big factor of the scottish vote to reject indepedency was that they would have also left the EU, at least for a considerable time until they got through the membership process.

• Winner
Reactions: DW1980
Upvote 0

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
A big factor of the scottish vote to reject indepedency was that they would have also left the EU, at least for a considerable time until they got through the membership process.
This is true - almost every leaflet and campaign for Better Together (the remain in the UK campaign) in Scotland centred on just a few points, but a major deal was made out of our status in the EU. The argument (made by Westminster and some businesses) was that if we voted for independence, we would be on our own outside the UK and the EU. That "swung" it for many voters who voted against independence to remain in the EU. Look where that got us! After the referendum in 2014 it emerged that the EU had plans to "fast-track" Scotland into the EU so it wouldn't have been a big deal after all, which is what Yes Scotland (the pro-independence campaign) had predicted.

Now, 4 years on we are in a UK that ignores our voice, and will soon be outside Europe. :-(

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
This is true - almost every leaflet and campaign for Better Together (the remain in the UK campaign) in Scotland centred on just a few points, but a major deal was made out of our status in the EU. The argument (made by Westminster and some businesses) was that if we voted for independence, we would be on our own outside the UK and the EU. That "swung" it for many voters who voted against independence to remain in the EU. Look where that got us! After the referendum in 2014 it emerged that the EU had plans to "fast-track" Scotland into the EU so it wouldn't have been a big deal after all, which is what Yes Scotland (the pro-independence campaign) had predicted.

Now, 4 years on we are in a UK that ignores our voice, and will soon be outside Europe. :-(
It doesnt exactly ignore your voice, it just voted over it. And in many regions of scottland, over 40% of the votes were cast to leave, too.

Really, there was no region in the entire UK that was more than 75% remain or leave.

Upvote 0

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
We voted to remain in the EU by 63%, we don't want to leave the EU.

As for the Tories - in many ways that doesn't matter. We get 59 seats at Westminster out of 650. It doesn't matter how Scotland votes, England dominates anyway. The composition of the Westminster parliament merely reflects English votes. The odds that Scottish votes would affect who is in power there is slim to none.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
It doesnt exactly ignore your voice, it just voted over it. And in many regions of scottland, over 40% of the votes were cast to leave, too.

Really, there was no region in the entire UK that was more than 75% remain or leave.

The referendum was a simple majority vote. No area in Scotland had a majority leave vote, therefore the country as a whole voted to remain in the EU. The biggest city, Glasgow, was 67% remain, while Edinburgh, the capital, was one of the 75% remain.

Scottish MEP receives standing ovation for passionate speech in European Parliament

Upvote 0

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.