dancin' moosen

May 7, 2005
Vancouver
✟15,234.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've never heard of that before - must be a personal preference. I can understand not doing the purely santa-minded carols (Jingle Bells, I'm Dreaming...), but Christmas Carols are a part of the small chance you get in the church year to sing of the incarnation - why would'nt you want to do that???

Upvote 0

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
dancin' moosen said:
I've never heard of that before - must be a personal preference. I can understand not doing the purely santa-minded carols (Jingle Bells, I'm Dreaming...), but Christmas Carols are a part of the small chance you get in the church year to sing of the incarnation - why would'nt you want to do that???
Because I've heard the songs a million times. I hear them everyday on the radio and in stores....over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....

You get the picture? :)

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
one church i went to long ago the minister tried that one year. he claimed that it just wasn't "liturgical" to sing of Christ's birth before Christmas. We only did that once!

i love Christmas carols---all of 'em! but i especially love to sing them when i can be with spirit-filled people who really understand what they are singing about. usually what you hear in the malls and stores now is just Christmas music (secular).

i also love being able to go out Christmas caroling. So few people do that these days, which makes it really special.

Upvote 0

Reazzurro90

Completamente Pentecostale - FORZA ITALIA
Sep 26, 2005
✟574.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
4Dunadain said:
Is this just one church or do Charismatics avoid Christmas songs?

I have found a church that doesn't "do" Christmas carols. The minister was a Baptist as a youth. He is now "independent" and Charismatic. So, I wondered if this came from the Baptist faith or Charismatic, or is it just his preference?

Nah, at my church we have Christmas caroles. Heck, a Christmas play is coming up next week.

Upvote 0

PastorMikeJ

combat veteran
Nov 10, 2005
Shaftsbury, Vermont
✟3,808.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We sing Christmas Carols at our church...just not about santa...I look forward to Christmas Carols....

When I was growing up I thought that they were my birthday songs..I was born on Christmas Eve...so the songs were tp remind us of Jesus' birth and reminded people of my bithday to...

LoL well I was just a kid then...

Upvote 0

TreeOfLife

A son of God!
Aug 12, 2005
Alabama, USA
✟9,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
MikeJ said:
We sing Christmas Carols at our church...just not about santa...I look forward to Christmas Carols....

When I was growing up I thought that they were my birthday songs..I was born on Christmas Eve...so the songs were tp remind us of Jesus' birth and reminded people of my bithday to...

LoL well I was just a kid then...

What a trip. "Come on son, let's go downtown and watch the parade the town is giving you for your birthday"!! :D

Hmmm...on some level I guess that's true though. :) :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

flaglady

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2005
✟64,796.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
We've got a Carol Service on the 18th and a kiddie's Nativity play after that!
No doubt we'll sing "While Shepherds Watched" and "The First Noel" etc., etc.
Hallelujah!

(Carols no good for flagging to, though
resent.gif
- so I'll be sat down for a change!)

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Alpine said:
Any church I've ever been too sang lots and lots of Christmas songs around Christmas time. I actually would prefer none myself.

Bah humbug! :)

Because I've heard the songs a million times. I hear them everyday on the radio and in stores....over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....

You get the picture? :)

I'm with you . I could probably handle one meeting with a few - not 4 or 5 weeks worth when they are all over the place .

Upvote 0

Slider1

Nov 23, 2005
✟16,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ours is a Charismatic church and we generally have one or two 'christmas' services at this time of year, where we sing only Christmas carols, while the rest of the year we sing er, 'normal' songs (and yes, teh drums and keyboard and bass play the carols as well as the normal songs). I'm very sure its just a personal preference...

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
In the historic churches, Christmas carols are not sung until Christmas.

During Advent (the 4 weeks of preparation before Christmas) Advent songs ARE sung, such as "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" and "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Father Rick said:
In the historic churches, Christmas carols are not sung until Christmas.

During Advent (the 4 weeks of preparation before Christmas) Advent songs ARE sung, such as "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" and "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus".

This I could get excited about - Especially "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus". Of course I'm looking for him to come again. The verses of that carol really ring something in my heart!:amen:

The rest of the carols - I'm bah-humbug also. I can't even get a good radio station anymore. They're all Christmas carols all the time. I loved it before I was born again, but now they don't cut the mustard. :sorry:

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The first Christmas after I came to the Lord I was astonished at really hearing the words of old familiar Christmas carols at last.
Suddenly I heard the gospel in them!

Singing the line from "O little town of Bethelehem" which says;
"where meek souls will receive Him, still the dear Christ enters in", and thinking "Oh, all those years I've sung that, but now I know it's true! Now it's really happened - Christ has entered into me!"

And the last verse of "Away in a manger."
"Be near me Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay close by me forever and love me I pray."
I'd even prayed that now and then in the past, not sure He would hear, in fact pretty unsure He really was there, but it was a longing I had.

Many of these carols are little sermons, prayers, comforts or nudges out of comfort for those of us with a slightly church-ish background who didn't know for sure if there was something real behind it all but wished there was...

When we sing carols this Christmas, who knows how many visitors among us will hear the gospel through those words?
And so the seed is planted, then watered again and again, until one day one breaks through the surface, out of the mud, into the light, born again! :clap:

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
OK, I'm under conviction by Susana's post. I admit to shedding a few tears today in the car when they sang the line

"lay down his sweet head".

Consider the idea that our God became a helpless baby and put up with the pain of a human body and human emotions to SAVE us! The whole thought's beyond my comprehension.

I take back my humbug! :)

Upvote 0

lovesblessing

The Lord's Beloved......
Aug 22, 2004
In God's Amazing Grace!
✟10,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I know what you mean about some of the newer churches not wanting to sing the tradional carols of Christmas.....and there are some beautiful ones! This song is sung now at Christmas.....but someday......read the lyrics folks.......it's about the Return of the King! Glory to God!!!

Joy to the World
trans.gif

Joy to the world!
The Lord is come
Let earth receive her king
Let every heart
Prepare him room
And heaven and nature sing
And heaven and nature sing
And heaven, and heaven and nature sing

Joy to the world!
The savior reigns