Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I am a musician. I was researching (on ultimate-guitar) a song the other day from Elevation Worship, which is the musical arm of Steven Furtick's church. The song is "Graves to Gardens". Apparently they have copyright claims against website that even just show people how to play their songs. So the website is not allowed to show any of their songs for legal reasons. Now that in itself isnt a huge deal to me, another artist had the same song up and the chords were correct, I learned the song, so on.

What Im concerned with is this idea of blocking others from learning. I cant articulate my thoughts clearly, and I understand as an artist they are likely trying to protect their work, just seems wrong to me as a believer, especially since they are the only worship band I know to do this. Added to this is their affiliation to Steven Furtick. Am I wrong in my view here? Seriously, Im asking to see if Im just being dramatic.

Last edited:

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
What Im concerned with is this idea of blocking others from learning.
The pastor in my church said he wanted his tapes copied to get out to as many people as possible. But he was pretty picky about putting stuff on the internet because he wanted control over how large numbers of people received his work. So before we jump to the conclusion that they are greedy for money. It could be they just don't want the artistic integrity of their song to be compromised.

Churches pay to be able to use copyrighted songs. So that is not an issue.

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I am a musician. I was researching (on ultimate-guitar) a song the other day from Vertical Worship, which is the musical arm of Steven Furtick's church. The song is "Graves to Gardens". Apparently they have copyright claims against website that even just show people how to play their songs. So the website is not allowed to show any of their songs for legal reasons. Now that in itself isnt a huge deal to me, another artist had the same song up and the chords were correct, I learned the song, so on.

What Im concerned with is this idea of blocking others from learning. I cant articulate my thoughts clearly, and I understand as an artist they are likely trying to protect their work, just seems wrong to me as a believer, especially since they are the only worship band I know to do this. Added to this is their affiliation to Steven Furtick. Am I wrong in my view here? Seriously, Im asking to see if Im just being dramatic.
I think you are mixing up music ministries. Vertical Worship is the musical ministry of Harvest Bible Chapel in Chicago. (FWIW their songs seem to be available on Ultimate Guitar).

Steve Furtick is the pastor of Elevation Church in Charlotte. Elevation Worship is their musical ministry.

Graves into Gardens was recorded by Elevation Worship and written by a group of people including several from Elevation Church along with Brandon Lake, the worship pastor of Seacoast Church in South Carolina.

I understand your thoughts as I get frustrated when I find songs on there that can't be shown for copyright reasons. It seems to come and go, which tells me that ultimate guitar falls behind on making sure they have licenses up to date. I've seen that happen several times with secular artists as well. It's more than just philosophical - if an artist fails to protect their copyright then they stand to lose out on personal income as they will lose the ability to legally protect their work. If your talent is writing worship music, and part of your livelihood comes from publising music, then shouldn't you be able to protect your income? I know some pastors work for free or for part time pay, but many do it as a full time ministry. I don't expect all pastors to work for free given the time and demands put on them, particularly with larger churches. IMHO, same concept for music ministry. I do subscribe to worshiponline.com, which costs me $15/month and allows access to music and lessons on most of the popular P&W songs, which the artists I'm sure get compensated for being on there.

Now, Furtick's theology is a totally separate issue; I tend to look at lyrics of songs before deciding if we use them and if a particular song is rock solid, I'm good with playing it.

Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get what both of you are stating, and I don't disagree about copyright protections and such. Authors do it to protect their work and of course musicians do it. That's not the issue, at least I don't think it is. Honestly, it may just be a bias I have against that one specific church. I know I am NO FAN of their leader, I mean pastor (can't name names), and perhaps this just reinforced in my mind my feelings of angst towards them.

I just don't see how blocking tablature and chord sheets is doing any good, especially when just about every one else seems to allow it. As mentioned in my OP, the song itself is on the site under different artists, so maybe it's not from Elevation that is the issue as described. Perhaps Ultimate-Guitar has some fault in the situation. Well, sorry for ranting!

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get what both of you are stating, and I don't disagree about copyright protections and such. Authors do it to protect their work and of course musicians do it. That's not the issue, at least I don't think it is. Honestly, it may just be a bias I have against that one specific church. I know I am NO FAN of their leader, I mean pastor (can't name names), and perhaps this just reinforced in my mind my feelings of angst towards them.

I just don't see how blocking tablature and chord sheets is doing any good, especially when just about every one else seems to allow it. As mentioned in my OP, the song itself is on the site under different artists, so maybe it's not from Elevation that is the issue as described. Perhaps Ultimate-Guitar has some fault in the situation. Well, sorry for ranting!
I get it. How we feel about people does come into play. For me, there is a couple from a different well known worship collective that has written many popular songs. Personally, I have concluded they have a heresy (minor but there none-the-less) that made me question playing their songs. However the heresy doesn’t show up in their music, so no reason not to use those songs. I don’t want to encourage people to hear them speak though, but in reality that isn’t an issue.

Back to song. I did look at the other Graves into Garden tabs on ultimate guitar. If it matters to you, and it is both the way the record was played and the easiest way for me, none of those tabs covered the chords this way. Capo where you need to use G shapes. For the parts of the intro and then the verse before the Emin chord, I use the G chord with ring and pinky pressing both E strings 3rd fret, A muted and others open. That allows the transition to C/G by leaving those fingers in place and adding middle finger D 2nd fret and index finger B 1st fret. Super smooth. This is where the Worship Initiative tab shows you transitioning from a full G chord to a full C chord at the end of the 2nd measure and then repeating through the verses. If you are playing to the Elevation version I think capo 4. (Apologies if I m suggesting something that was obvious to you!)

Upvote 0

brodav9@thicket

Feb 2, 2022
Sylacauga, Alabama
✟26,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So I am a musician. I was researching (on ultimate-guitar) a song the other day from Elevation Worship, which is the musical arm of Steven Furtick's church. The song is "Graves to Gardens". Apparently they have copyright claims against website that even just show people how to play their songs. So the website is not allowed to show any of their songs for legal reasons. Now that in itself isnt a huge deal to me, another artist had the same song up and the chords were correct, I learned the song, so on.

After building a relationship with Jesus, I found that he has put a song in my heart for him. Copyrights are for protection most of all. I make sure my song lyrics are bible sound. I hear a lot of copycat music on gospel radio, it appears to be competitive spirit to see who will buy theirs first. I feel God's peace when I sing to him. For his glory.

Upvote 0

Techo

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2023
Melbourne
✟45,399.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes thicket... what we write is, or should be, for our Lord. If we are the only ones to ever sing those songs... and God is the only one who ever hears us singing it... is enough. It's good practice for when we are in His presence. If we have reason to share our music with others then Copyright will ensure that if will not be stolen or, maybe, corrupted for someone else to profit by. You can include something like this:

"I freely offer the song in into the fellowship of 'the body of Christ' for the purpose of worship and fellowship. It may be used and copied freely for this purpose"

(which is how music in my church is copyrighted) if you are not intent about making money off the song that God has put in your heart.

Upvote 0