Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You don't have to use just one translation. I routinely use more than one, they help clarify passages and you can often get a better idea of the text. Generally I advise to get one (at least!) from different text families. So, if you have the ESV, maybe get a NKJV (assuming you don't care for the KJV style of language).
I can’t buy any more Bibles. I have enough.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have mostly Catholic Bibles, but I also have the aforementioned NIV, several ones (3 I think) and the new ESV.
Then it sounds like you are covered, I personally see no reason to second guess your decision.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. I always thought the NKJV was difficult to read but I guess I was wrong. Maybe I’ll buy one someday.
I guess when I question a passage, I’ll just go back to my NIV Study Bible. I didn’t realize many people read various translations.

Upvote 0

Christopher Range

Oct 5, 2022
Pittsboro
✟21,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry to say I don't know much about the NLT. Maybe someone else can advise.

Skimming through it online now, I suspect it may be creeping into the paraphrase territory of the MSG. It's nowhere as silly as the MSG, but it's perhaps the NIV would be better. Just for comparison's sake, you can have a look at the Lord's Prayer from Matthew 6:9-13:

ESV
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

NIV
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.

NLT
Our Father in heaven,
may your name be kept holy.
May your Kingdom come soon.
May your will be done on earth,
as it is in heaven.
Give us today the food we need,
and forgive us our sins,
as we have forgiven those who sin against us.
And don’t let us yield to temptation,
but rescue us from the evil one.

Note: The addition of the word "soon" isn't wrong, exactly, but it changes the meaning somewhat in that it gives the appearance that God's kingdom is only some future promise, when in fact it comes to us both right now and in the future.

Now, to comedy hour:

MSG
Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what’s best—
as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You’re in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You’re ablaze in beauty!
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Note: ???????????????!!!!!
Then, Which version of the Lord's Prayer is this:

Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name,
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power, and the glory, Amen

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Then, Which version of the Lord's Prayer is this:

Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name,
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power, and the glory, Amen

Hey, that's a good question! I have to admit I always thought it was the KJV, but it's actually slightly different. This is the Traditional Ecumenical Version, so I think it's been translated as a part of the liturgy, so I'm not sure if there are any Bibles that contain this exact wording. Maybe someone else knows!

Upvote 0

Christopher Range

Oct 5, 2022
Pittsboro
✟21,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Hey, that's a good question! I have to admit I always thought it was the KJV, but it's actually slightly different. This is the Traditional Ecumenical Version, so I think it's been translated as a part of the liturgy, so I'm not sure if there are any Bibles that contain this exact wording. Maybe someone else knows!
I tried to find it on The Bible Gateway(BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.). But I couldn't find it in the NIV, KJV, NKJV, RSV, NRSV, TLB, and a couple other versions. That is the form of the Lord's Prayer, that I learned in my elementary school years. Even before I was 'saved'.

Upvote 0

Christopher Range

Oct 5, 2022
Pittsboro
✟21,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I have been attending church virtually, because of Covid-19. By watching complete videos' of each service, on the congregation's YouTube channel. Today, I paid extra close attention to the Lord's Prayer. It is done exactly like the TEV.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I have been attending church virtually, because of Covid-19. By watching complete videos' of each service, on the congregation's YouTube channel. Today, I paid extra close attention to the Lord's Prayer. It is done exactly like the TEV.

Ah, yeah. This should be common to Lutherans in America. I think the LCMS uses it for all of their five divine service settings, and it's what our churches in America use as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A number of us in our Lutheran Church Canada parish, including our pastor are using the ESV Catholic Edition.

CATHOLIC edition you might scoff, but think about it. LCMS/LCC have adopted the ESV as our current standard translation; our Lutheran Study Bible is ESV... as is our stand alone translation of the Apocrypha. While not a Study Bible, it is easily in hand and uncluttered for day to day use.

I like mine, a lot.
81lPqM9WArL.jpg
I just got one and am breaking it in. ESVCE. I had an ESV from when I was hospitalized. The chaplain gave me an ESV Gideons version. I never did figure out how that differed from their base text before I lost it.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You might consider also the stand alone Apocrypha published by Concordia, along with the study guide: The Apocrypha: The Lutheran Edition with Notes and Study Guide to the Apocrypha

Bit more stuff than contained in in our Catholic Bibles:
View attachment 324133View attachment 324134
Nice. The ESVCE has almost no notes. A tiny bit of textual apparatus, but not even much of that. My guess is that is a bit of reaction against the NAB (New American Bible, 1970 approved Catholic Bible) having lots of notes, and some of them exceptionally modernist. Anyhow, I am liking the feel of this one. And I already liked the readability. It's a bit like the RSV in that regard, with language that is a bit sacral but not too odd and old-fashioned

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Nice. The ESVCE has almost no notes. A tiny bit of textual apparatus, but not even much of that. My guess is that is a bit of reaction against the NAB (New American Bible, 1970 approved Catholic Bible) having lots of notes, and some of them exceptionally modernist. Anyhow, I am liking the feel of this one. And I already liked the readability. It's a bit like the RSV in that regard, with language that is a bit sacral but not too odd and old-fashioned
I’ve been using my ESV a lot lately but while I think it’s nicer looking than my NIV I prefer my NIV because it has many footnotes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I’ve been using my ESV a lot lately but while I think it’s nicer looking than my NIV I prefer my NIV because it has many footnotes.
I got my NIV in about 1975. It had essentially zero notes. My NAB from 1970 had lots of notes but some of them were pretty meh. I do like a cross-reference system but I'd just as soon check a substantial commentary than use Bible notes. On this everybody will be different though.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The ESV is probably the most accurate modern translation available today. But, my church uses the NIV. Any translation really is fine it's all personal choice.
I have to be careful here as I am a guest in the Lutheran Forum. I find serious Catholics really like the RSVCE, the RSVCE2, and now the ESVCE. The NAB gets almost zero traction even though it is the official translation approved by the USCCB, the Catholic bishop's conference. While the NAB was newer than the RSV, it seemed clunky. The NABRE was clunky AND inclusive, so two strikes. Anyhow, for now I'm happy.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I got my NIV in about 1975. It had essentially zero notes. My NAB from 1970 had lots of notes but some of them were pretty meh. I do like a cross-reference system but I'd just as soon check a substantial commentary than use Bible notes. On this everybody will be different though.
I don’t know what year my NAB was printed but I’ve had it for maybe 12 years or so and it doesn’t have many notes, either.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have to be careful here as I am a guest in the Lutheran Forum. I find serious Catholics really like the RSVCE, the RSVCE2, and now the ESVCE. The NAB gets almost zero traction even though it is the official translation approved by the USCCB, the Catholic bishop's conference. While the NAB was newer than the RSV, it seemed clunky. The NABRE was clunky AND inclusive, so two strikes. Anyhow, for now I'm happy.
My NIV is clunky but it’s a Study Bible so there’s a lot of info there.

Upvote 0