New Zealand has now banned all military-style semi-automatic guns & assault rifles

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Okay, so, let's say we pick that low-hanging fruit. Ban "one type of weapon (among many) that allows easier killing and in larger numbers."

Now, people who understand firearms know that banning "one type of weapon (among many) that allows easier killing and in larger numbers" isn't actually going to make a substantial statistical difference.

Which means that picking the low-hanging fruit won't be enough.

I actually agree with you and i have stated the core issues are elsewhere.

I said it is a bandaid approach, but if it saves a handful of lives it is worth it.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What do you think is the major difference between what you think is an "assault rifle" and an old 1911 Colt pistol?

I'll tell you: Appearance.
Exactly. I could never understand why a "sportsman" or a "hunter" needs a semi-automatic rifle with RPG launcher mounting lugs or fitted to take a silencer.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Exactly. I could never understand why a "sportsman" or a "hunter" needs a semi-automatic rifle with RPG launcher mounting lugs or fitted to take a silencer.

Silencer: For hunting at night, and poaching.
RPG: To break large animals down into manageable sized pieces.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Not all hunting is the same, as I've already explained. Some hunting is more akin to sniping. Other hunting is more akin to clearing a building of hostiles. Different tools fit different tasks.

Silencers don't actually "silence" a firearm.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Not all hunting is the same, as I've already explained. Some hunting is more akin to sniping. Other hunting is more akin to clearing a building of hostiles. Different tools fit different tasks.

Silencers don't actually "silence" a firearm.
That's OK, these "hunters" and "sportsmen" don't actually have silencers or RPG launchers. They just want the fittings for appearance.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That's OK, these "hunters" and "sportsmen" don't actually have silencers or RPG launchers. They just want the fittings for appearance.
Many people do have suppressors in the US, the process for getting them isn’t very onerous if state law allows them, and they only knock the noise level down by about 30db. Most gunshots clock in at north of 130 db so they only bring the noise level down to loud rather than very loud and nothing like the pew pew of movies.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT ON
Address only the content of the post and not the poster.
Submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
But why did he do it? We can't say that it was simply hate. There are a lot of people who hate a lot of other people for whatever reason or another but they don't pick up a gun and start shooting. Just as there are a lot of people who own guns but don't point them at other people and pull the trigger. I am certain that there are also a lot of people who hate other people and who also own guns, but their mix of hate and guns doesn't cause them to kill.

Things like this often remind me of the movie Apollo 13. They had a crisis and the only way they could solve it was to lock some people in a room until they found a solution to it. It seems that today we have a crisis and no one is willing to be locked in the room.

There isn't a room big enough, nor do we actually have a solution for people who are crazy and hateful enough to go on shooting rampages.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Many people do have suppressors in the US, the process for getting them isn’t very onerous if state law allows them, and they only knock the noise level down by about 30db. Most gunshots clock in at north of 130 db so they only bring the noise level down to loud rather than very loud and nothing like the pew pew of movies.

Demonstration is better than explanation.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
And that's precisely what I see as the problem. It seems disproportionate to the nature of the threat. Much better for New Zealand to increase spending on internal and international security and intelligence gathering.

Your solution is to try to predict which crazy is going to shoot up a church?

What is the virtue of having people with weapons capable of easily carrying out mass shootings?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Demonstration is better than explanation.

That's not quite a fully honest comparison.

First, the demonstration is with a .22 pistol which was firing sub-sonic rounds. The caliber by nature is relatively quiet, and report generated by propelling a to less than supersonic speed is far easier to quiet.

While he stated that he didn't use an explicitly sub-sonic round (explicitly sub-sonic would be a .22 Short rather than a .22 Long Rifle or .22 Magnum), the round he used is only barely supersonic, and that only through the longer barrel of a rifle that allows the bullet to be propelled longer by expanding gasses than can happen within a pistol barrel (and the exceptionally short barrel of the Walther even among pistols).

So basically, that test was a stacked deck toward making the silencer sound particularly effective.

Unfortunately, any video is going to compress the difference in sound levels. No audio system can at one setting convey gunfire at its true level of intensity (below the distortion point of the recorder) and then convey anything less than that at its true relative difference.

You really have to either hear them in person or be content with comprehending the numbers.

A suppressed AR-15 is 8 decibels below the level of pain. Not particularly "silent" by any means--louder than a chain saw, louder than an aircraft taking off, louder than a jack hammer.

https://www.dakotasilencer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Silencer_Sound_Comparsion_chart.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2019
Arizona
✟15,914.00
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
But why did he do it?
To get guns banned, obviously. Why does the same phenomena happen the world over, with guns banned within a matter of weeks of the event, and no real or thorough investigation in order to institute the ban? I do find it interesting that Americans have so far resisted this same methodology that the rest of the world has so quickly swallowed.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
To get guns banned, obviously. Why does the same phenomena happen the world over, with guns banned within a matter of weeks of the event, and no real or thorough investigation in order to institute the ban? I do find it interesting that Americans have so far resisted this same methodology that the rest of the world has so quickly swallowed.
Yeah, and they got the bodycount to prove.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, and they got the bodycount to prove.
But we have the example of Australia descending into a totalitarian nightmare after the gun restrictions that the Port Arthur massacre inspired! I mean their poor down trodden citizens have to leave the country to commit mass gun homicide!

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
But we have the example of Australia descending into a totalitarian nightmare after the gun restrictions that the Port Arthur massacre inspired! I mean their poor down trodden citizens have to leave the country to commit mass gun homicide!

Ouch.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Problems are big business in America.
But America does nothing to help make this nightmare go away. And America doesn't even try. I don't care about big business.

Upvote 0