Miami
✟35,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I have just discovered Eastern Orthodoxy and it has been an incredible journey. I’m reaching out as I have had a past with many sins. I have a daughter and am not married while I live with my partner. I want to get married in the Orthodox faith in the future, if I can get some help of how I should deal with this issue? I was reading you should not live with your partner prior to marriage but I don’t want to be separate from my beautiful daughter.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
welcome to TAW!

for something like this, you gotta ask your local priest. talk to him with your partner, let him see the situation.

but generally, yes, if you are unmarried you should separate prior to the wedding. but, that is usually prior to a kid being involved.

so I would say to contact your closest priest.

prayers!

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,063.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'll echo ArmyMatt's welcome :)

And yes - he's correct you will really need to talk with a priest about your domestic situation.

These situations need to be handled very carefully , but things can be sorted out.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome to CF and to TAW! We are very glad to have you join us. :)

I will only echo "talk to your priest". There are several things to consider, and they will be able to sort out how to help you navigate through all of this.

There was a similar (but not same) question on Orthodoxy Live this week and two priests discussed some possible ways of moving forward. It was a young woman raised Orthodox who was pregnant out of wedlock living with her boyfriend and wanting to come back into the Church and be married in the Church before the birth of the baby, but he was not yet a catechumen. Anyway, they discussed some possible ways to move forward and the concern is always how to reconcile people to God. We all have issues.

But this is definitely something to talk to the priest about.

If you want to listen to the conversation I mentioned, it's here. Guest Co-Host Fr. David Thatcher - Orthodoxy Live | Ancient Faith Ministries I'd say about 1/3 or halfway in.

Again, welcome to CF and to TAW!

I have just discovered Eastern Orthodoxy and it has been an incredible journey. I’m reaching out as I have had a past with many sins. I have a daughter and am not married while I live with my partner. I want to get married in the Orthodox faith in the future, if I can get some help of how I should deal with this issue? I was reading you should not live with your partner prior to marriage but I don’t want to be separate from my beautiful daughter.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0