Michigan
✟3,245.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Surfing the web, I came across this site: http://www.apocalypse2008-2015.com.

I haven't read much of it yet, but it seems like the writer is using ancient Hebrew, Chinese, Aztec, and Mayan information to determine the times of the Great Tribulation. According to him, it will start on December 21, 2008 at the destruction of New York (so far, I haven't seen him mention the Antichrist's treaty which is supposed to start the Tribulation). Anyway, I just thought it'd be an interesting site to check out.

eddy67

Christian Youth
May 28, 2004
Canonsburg, PA
✟15,264.00
Faith
Christian
Bornagain15 said:
Surfing the web, I came across this site: http://www.apocalypse2008-2015.com.

I haven't read much of it yet, but it seems like the writer is using ancient Hebrew, Chinese, Aztec, and Mayan information to determine the times of the Great Tribulation. According to him, it will start on December 21, 2008 at the destruction of New York (so far, I haven't seen him mention the Antichrist's treaty which is supposed to start the Tribulation). Anyway, I just thought it'd be an interesting site to check out.

According to the bible code the tribulation supposedly starts in 2006 (5766) until 2012 when the mayan calendar ends.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Bless us with $" is the one quote on the site that stands out the most when I determined the motivation of these people. It's one of the first things you see when the page loads up. Sorry but it was a complete turn off to me and I negected to read any of their beliefs.

Upvote 0

Bornagain15

Waiting for His coming
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
✟3,245.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
eddy67 said:
According to the bible code the tribulation supposedly starts in 2006 (5766) until 2012 when the mayan calendar ends.

That's wrong right there, because the Tribulation is seven years, not six. It'd have to be this year if that were true.

Upvote 0

Paleoconservatarian

God's grandson
Jan 4, 2005
✟18,897.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
nephilimiyr said:
"Bless us with $" is the one quote on the site that stands out the most when I determined the motivation of these people. It's one of the first things you see when the page loads up. Sorry but it was a complete turn off to me and I negected to read any of their beliefs.

:thumbsup:

Let's use pagan calendars to try to determine the Tribulation. :doh:

Upvote 0

eddy67

Christian Youth
May 28, 2004
Canonsburg, PA
✟15,264.00
Faith
Christian
Bornagain15 said:
That's wrong right there, because the Tribulation is seven years, not six. It'd have to be this year if that were true.

Not necessarily. The mayan calendar ends in December 2012 (5773). In the Hebrew Calendar the new year starts in September. Thus it would run from 5766-5773 or September 2005-December 2012

Let's use pagan calendars to try to determine the Tribulation.

Despite what you may think, the Mayans were remarkably advanced in the science of Astronomy. Something led them to believe that it's going to end in 2012

Upvote 0

Paleoconservatarian

God's grandson
Jan 4, 2005
✟18,897.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
eddy67 said:
Despite what you may think, the Mayans were remarkably advanced in the science of Astronomy. Something led them to believe that it's going to end in 2012

And yet astronomy is not divine revelation. I wouldn't accept my eschatological views from Stephen Hawking, either.

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

The poster formerly known as Acts6:5
Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paleoconservatarian said:
:thumbsup:

Let's use pagan calendars to try to determine the Tribulation. :doh:
Well, you need to remember what Jesus said in Matthew 24;

"But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels in heaven, but my Father only...as well as the Mayans and their magnificant brains. They'll figure it out too."

In Christ,

Acts6:5

Upvote 0
Q

QubeMaster

You know what I found interesting, the Bible never says that we won't be able to find out when the tribulation will begin, only that we won't know when Jesus will return. So, when he says seven years, he might not be meaning an exact, down to the second return, which would indeed allow us to find out when the Tribulation would begin.

That's just my two-cents, but I heard it from a friend and I agree with him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paleoconservatarian

God's grandson
Jan 4, 2005
✟18,897.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
eddy67 said:
Science leads back to God, IMO

Science is a method. A man-made method. It does not necessarily point to God. It most certainly does not reveal God's will for man, and it won't tell us when He's planning to have the Tribulation. I only agree with your statement insofar as the discoveries of scientists point to God, as all creation does. It is not a way to Him, though.

Acts6:5 said:

"But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels in heaven, but my Father only...as well as the Mayans and their magnificant brains. They'll figure it out too."

In Christ,

I guess my translation is not using the right text. I'll be sure to remedy this immediately.

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
eddy67 said:

Eddy, I don't think you quite understand what the "end" of the Mayan calendar means. Unlike us moderns and our 1 year calendar, the Mayans had many calendars of various lengths. One of their shortest calendar cycles ended after ony 13 days. The one that "ends" in 2012 was their longest one, and it spanned about 5000 years.

Now when our calendar year ends on the last day of December it simply begins another calendar year. And when the Mayan Long Count calender ends in 2012, the Mayans believed it would simply serve to begin another 5000 year Long Count calendar. It's really that simple. The Mayans believed the Long Count of 5,000 years had repeated many times in the past and would continue on into the future indefinitely - just like our calendar. They certainly did not predict anything would occur when the latest Long Count cycle came to it's conclusion...they just believed another cycle would continue, just like our calendar cycles year after year.

In Christ,

Upvote 0
S

ShaggyFlasko

Acts, that's some interesting information.

I submit that we should look to the scriptures for any sort of timing with respect the tribulation.

The Mayans weren't inspired. They didn't know when the end of the age was to come. However, Christ and the disciples knew the timeframe of the parousia (even if they didn't know the day or hour). Let's look at what they said about it, not what some ancient americans thought about it. Has anyone read The Boy Who Cried Wolf?

John 16
12I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

The disciples were divinely inspired with knowledge of things that would come. They should know. There are no other sources necessary for determining eschatology than the words of Christ and his inspired apostles.

I can't wait until 2012, when the new prophecy theories are scheduled to come out. :yawn:

God bless.
-Bill

Upvote 0

Paleoconservatarian

God's grandson
Jan 4, 2005
✟18,897.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ShaggyFlasko said:
I can't wait until 2012, when the new prophecy theories are scheduled to come out. :yawn:

^_^

And I was just getting over the Y2K prophecy theories. Rest assured that Hal Lindsey will have made enough false predictions by then that we'll be better prepared to handle it.

Upvote 0

eddy67

Christian Youth
May 28, 2004
Canonsburg, PA
✟15,264.00
Faith
Christian
Eddy, I don't think you quite understand what the "end" of the Mayan calendar means. Unlike us moderns and our 1 year calendar, the Mayans had many calendars of various lengths. One of their shortest calendar cycles ended after ony 13 days. The one that "ends" in 2012 was their longest one, and it spanned about 5000 years.

Now when our calendar year ends on the last day of December it simply begins another calendar year. And when the Mayan Long Count calender ends in 2012, the Mayans believed it would simply serve to begin another 5000 year Long Count calendar. It's really that simple. The Mayans believed the Long Count of 5,000 years had repeated many times in the past and would continue on into the future indefinitely - just like our calendar. They certainly did not predict anything would occur when the latest Long Count cycle came to it's conclusion...they just believed another cycle would continue, just like our calendar cycles year after year.

In Christ,

The mayans believed time was cyclical, not linear. The Lord created the heavens, as well as the earth. Why could not he not create signs in the sky of things that are to pass? Remember the star of bethlehem?

The bible refers to celestial objects as carrying signs from the Almighty (although prohibits their worship)

As Job 31 states -
"26 if I have regarded the sun in its radiance or the moon moving in splendour, 27 so that my heart was secretly enticed and my hand offered them a kiss of homage, 28 then these also would be sins to be judged, for I would have been unfaithful to God on high[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]."

[/font]Isaiah 40-
26 Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing.

Psalm 19-
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1 ...The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. 2 Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. 3 There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. 4 Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world...

[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Jesus himself tells us in Luke 21-
[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]25 "There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars..."
[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]The mayans predicted that 2012 would be the dawn of a new age and the end of an era. For some reason they believed that the Galactic alignment that will occur will change the earth.

Although of course it could end up being nothing like Y2K :sorry:
[/font]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bornagain15

Waiting for His coming
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
✟3,245.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

In Christ,

Yeah, the person on the apocalypse site happened to notice that that verse only said "the day or the hour" so he got technical and said we could know the year (although in other places he predicts the end of the Tribulation to be 12/21/2015).

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
eddy67 said:
The mayans believed time was cyclical, not linear.
Correct, which is exactly the opposite of the way time is presented by God, which is linear, having a beginning and an end. The Mayans looked at time as a wheel, lending to the idea that time repeats itself. That is the only way the Long Count is predictive, but it has nothing to do with predicting cosmological events like that which are in the bible.

eddy67 said:
The Lord created the heavens, as well as the earth. Why could not he not create signs in the sky of things that are to pass? Remember the star of bethlehem?
Sure, but what does any of this have to do with what the Mayan Long Count? The Long Count doesn't predict "signs in the sky".

eddy67 said:
The bible refers to celestial objects as carrying signs from the Almighty (although prohibits their worship)

As Job 31 states -
"26 if I have regarded the sun in its radiance or the moon moving in splendour, 27 so that my heart was secretly enticed and my hand offered them a kiss of homage, 28 then these also would be sins to be judged, for I would have been unfaithful to God on high[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]."

[/font]Isaiah 40-
26 Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing.

Psalm 19-
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1 ...The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. 2 Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. 3 There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. 4 Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world...

[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Jesus himself tells us in Luke 21-
[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]25 "There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars..."
[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]The mayans predicted that 2012 would be the dawn of a new age and the end of an era. For some reason they believed that the Galactic alignment that will occur will change the earth.
[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]But the Mayan Long Count doesn't predict cosmological signs. Please provide a source for this supposed "changing" of the earth. Thanks. The only change I've heard deals with an evolution within the humans spirit, not a changing of the planet. And this evolution will not even be physically discernable; but all that comes out of the mouths of New Agers, not Mayan sources. [/font]
eddy67 said:
Although of course it could end up being nothing like Y2K :sorry:

Which is precisely what I "predict". ;)
[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]In Christ,[/font]
Acs6:5

[/font]

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.