Visit site
✟280,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have been hooked on some British shows this year, I must admit. Luther, Broadchurch, Happy Valley. Good stuff.

When my oldest was a baby, my wife was up all hours of the night nursing him. When is get up to see if she needed anything, I'd invariably find her watching a British drama on Netflix. We started referring to as the Boobie C or the Baby Breastfeeding Channel.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My whole life Americans have always had this quiet worship of all things British. Americans care much more about the Royal Family than Brits do! It's crazy. We always assume, because of the AWESOME accent British have (especially the English), that they're somehow brighter, more civilized, and classier. Just plain smarter.

"If only we could do ____________like the British." Ugh. I've heard that my whole life.

And yet, the day of the Brexit vote, the two most highly-Googled questions by Brits were

a) what is Brexit
b) what is the EU?

The scary thing? This was all post-Brexit!

My conclusion---Brits and Europeans are as goofy a bunch as we yanks, just with a great accent. They gave us Tolkien, the Beatles, Shakespeare, the coolest flag ever, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Led Zeppelin, and Yes. So just for those reasons right there I'm eternally a fan! Throw on Luther and all these other great new shows, I'm in!

When my oldest was a baby, my wife was up all hours of the night nursing him. When is get up to see if she needed anything, I'd invariably find her watching a British drama on Netflix. We started referring to as the Boobie C or the Baby Breastfeeding Channel.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I grew up on Iron Maiden. Imagine heavy metal that's more intelligent than most classrooms! LOL

Yeah - love the accent!

I think my problem is that I have listened to far too much British literature, read by Brits ...

• Prayers
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yup, I remember Iron Maiden (their earliest albums). But it wasn't at the top of my list in those times, and I seem to have forgotten a great deal. So I can't really comment on the quality of their lyrics. They pulled from Poe at least once, didn't they? (as well as a bit of anti-Christ flirting)

Lord forgive me, I used to sing AC/DC lyrics too ...

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,705.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
SSSSSSH - dunno about a deep voice - but that will be ME on Sunday afternoon :D :D

Now you've been and gorn and dun it :( How the blazes am I going to manage to keep my face straight - and it's the first time I'll be acting as Reader taking Hours and Typica as we have no priest

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
SSSSSSH - dunno about a deep voice - but that will be ME on Sunday afternoon :D :D

Now you've been and gorn and dun it :( How the blazes am I going to manage to keep my face straight - and it's the first time I'll be acting as Reader taking Hours and Typica as we have no priest
Oh, I'm sorry Anhelyna ....

It did make me laugh though. I pray it does not do the same for you!

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,705.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm giggling now :D

OK I'm used to taking the Troparia etc and in the outreach mission those are , thankfully in English , the rest of the Liturgy is in a mixture of Ukrainian and English depending who is there .

This Sunday though - the Hours and then Typica !! This is a whole new ball game ! It's about 5 years since I've Read the Gospel [ and yes I have the Bishop's Blessing for that - it was essential at that time ]

I'm about to send that funny to my GodPapa - he is 'on' on Saturday evening for an English language 'anticipated' Liturgy [ and it's literally the only time they can squeeze this Liturgy in ] - he will love it I'm sure and will snicker [ which is not the word I want to use it has to be admitted :p ]

• Prayers
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm giggling now :D

OK I'm used to taking the Troparia etc and in the outreach mission those are , thankfully in English , the rest of the Liturgy is in a mixture of Ukrainian and English depending who is there .

This Sunday though - the Hours and then Typica !! This is a whole new ball game ! It's about 5 years since I've Read the Gospel [ and yes I have the Bishop's Blessing for that - it was essential at that time ]

I'm about to send that funny to my GodPapa - he is 'on' on Saturday evening for an English language 'anticipated' Liturgy [ and it's literally the only time they can squeeze this Liturgy in ] - he will love it I'm sure and will snicker [ which is not the word I want to use it has to be admitted :p ]

I hope he likes it. IIRC I received it from a priest on FB. I don't normally admit the word "snicker" either, but given the slightly juvenile content ... it seemed appropriate. ;)

• Prayers
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The funny thing is I think the 1980's did more to make Christianity look bad than any other time. Besides the hillbilly evangelical televangelists sexing up girls and fleecing people of their money, the "are you saved!?" talking points, and "heavy metal is out to possess your child!" we just got a ton of mischaractetizations.

There WERE bands that legitimately pandered to Satanism and anti-Christian hate. Slayer and King Diamond were examples. But bands like Iron Maiden were stereotyped by evangelical groups because of album cover art (Eddie the Skeleton), the creepy pictures. But the low IQ of these people and the irony both eluded them. Good example? Look on the Number of the Beast album. The devil is dancing with a pitch fork and intimidating the band surrounded by fire. But if you look closer, Eddie the skeleton (the band comic mascot) is holding puppeteer strings controlling the devil. It shows that Satan THINKS he controls our destiny, but he is folly and in seeking power really is powerless himself.

Most Maiden songs were about mythology or history, movies, or novels, never Satan legitimately.
Examples:

To Tame a Land (song about the novel "Dune")

Flight of Icarus (mythology)

Powerslave (about the mortality of pharaohs and the myth falling flat of their godhead)

Revelation (God wins!)

Alexander the Great

Stranger in a Strange Land (Heinlein sci fi novel)

The Prisoner (British TV series)

Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Coleridge poem)

Aces High (about the WWII Royal Air Force)

Run to the Hills (song of sympathy for the Native Americans)

Quest for Fire (movie)

The list goes on and on. Their songs were heady, intelligent, complex, amazing musicianship, well-read, adventurous.

But they had spooky album covers so instant silly conclusion = 666 ^_^:idea::sick::sick:

Yup, I remember Iron Maiden (their earliest albums). But it wasn't at the top of my list in those times, and I seem to have forgotten a great deal. So I can't really comment on the quality of their lyrics. They pulled from Poe at least once, didn't they? (as well as a bit of anti-Christ flirting)

Lord forgive me, I used to sing AC/DC lyrics too ...

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The funny thing is I think the 1980's did more to make Christianity look bad than any other time. Besides the hillbilly evangelical televangelists sexing up girls and fleecing people of their money, the "are you saved!?" talking points, and "heavy metal is out to possess your child!" we just got a ton of mischaractetizations.

There WERE bands that legitimately pandered to Satanism and anti-Christian hate. Slayer and King Diamond were examples. But bands like Iron Maiden were stereotyped by evangelical groups because of album cover art (Eddie the Skeleton), the creepy pictures. But the low IQ of these people and the irony both eluded them. Good example? Look on the Number of the Beast album. The devil is dancing with a pitch fork and intimidating the band surrounded by fire. But if you look closer, Eddie the skeleton (the band comic mascot) is holding puppeteer strings controlling the devil. It shows that Satan THINKS he controls our destiny, but he is folly and in seeking power really is powerless himself.

Most Maiden songs were about mythology or history, movies, or novels, never Satan legitimately.
Examples:

To Tame a Land (song about the novel "Dune")

Flight of Icarus (mythology)

Powerslave (about the mortality of pharaohs and the myth falling flat of their godhead)

Revelation (God wins!)

Alexander the Great

Stranger in a Strange Land (Heinlein sci fi novel)

The Prisoner (British TV series)

Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Coleridge poem)

Aces High (about the WWII Royal Air Force)

Run to the Hills (song of sympathy for the Native Americans)

Quest for Fire (movie)

The list goes on and on. Their songs were heady, intelligent, complex, amazing musicianship, well-read, adventurous.

But they had spooky album covers so instant silly conclusion = 666 ^_^:idea::sick::sick:

I did get the impression that Iron Maiden had more going on. It wasn't fundamentalism that got in my way though - I was just moving on musically soon after that time. I'm more familiar with Ozzy Osbourne, KISS, Meatloaf, AC/DC, etc. and I also liked softer rock, so my time was split between genres. My favorites were Foreigner, Eagles, Journey, REO Speedwagon, Heart, Joan Jett, etc. By the time Whitesnake came along, that was my younger brother's scene. I was on to country and classical at that time. And I never really went back to heavy metal.

But ... the AC/DC lyrics are inane, but explicitly anti-Christian, and I regret having enjoyed singing them so much. Decades later, I can "hear" them perfectly and easily just by bringing the thought of them to mind.

Iron Maiden I only knew in passing, and only their early work.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I always find it interesting that AC/DC gets such a free pass! They sing "Dirty Deeds" about hiring a hitman to kill your wife, and they sing it with glee and tongue in cheek humor. Then "Highway to Hell" they make sound cute and cartoonish. "Girl's got Rhythm," well when the line "back-seat rhythm" kicks in, 'nuff said there LOL. And a few other songs I can't even mention here without getting perma-banned LOL. Yeah, they were honestly one of the more vulgar of the hard rock bands back in the day. But as a guitar-player of almost 30 years, I hate to say it, but DANG they're fun to play! ^_^:sorry::sorry::sorry:

Most bands I like have 'some' problems. Rush got on such an Ayn Rand kick, my goodness. And there's so many songs about chance and fortune and dumb luck guiding us, not a divine force. It can get cynical. I tend to skip that junk. I prefer their mythology days and deeper stuff.

Steely Dan seems innocent because of most of their tunes. Their lyrics are wild and zany and mostly are meant to evoke colors and mood, but I must say, Google the term "Steely Dan" and all of a sudden you say, "wow, hello Vicar!" LOL

I did get the impression that Iron Maiden had more going on. It wasn't fundamentalism that got in my way though - I was just moving on musically soon after that time. I'm more familiar with Ozzy Osbourne, KISS, Meatloaf, AC/DC, etc. and I also liked softer rock, so my time was split between genres. My favorites were Foreigner, Eagles, Journey, REO Speedwagon, Heart, Joan Jett, etc. By the time Whitesnake came along, that was my younger brother's scene. I was on to country and classical at that time. And I never really went back to heavy metal.

But ... the AC/DC lyrics are inane, but explicitly anti-Christian, and I regret having enjoyed singing them so much. Decades later, I can "hear" them perfectly and easily just by bringing the thought of them to mind.

Iron Maiden I only knew in passing, and only their early work.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I always find it interesting that AC/DC gets such a free pass! They sing "Dirty Deeds" about hiring a hitman to kill your wife, and they sing it with glee and tongue in cheek humor. Then "Highway to Hell" they make sound cute and cartoonish. "Girl's got Rhythm," well when the line "back-seat rhythm" kicks in, 'nuff said there LOL. And a few other songs I can't even mention here without getting perma-banned LOL. Yeah, they were honestly one of the more vulgar of the hard rock bands back in the day. But as a guitar-player of almost 30 years, I hate to say it, but DANG they're fun to play! ^_^:sorry::sorry::sorry:

Most bands I like have 'some' problems. Rush got on such an Ayn Rand kick, my goodness. And there's so many songs about chance and fortune and dumb luck guiding us, not a divine force. It can get cynical. I tend to skip that junk. I prefer their mythology days and deeper stuff.

Steely Dan seems innocent because of most of their tunes. Their lyrics are wild and zany and mostly are meant to evoke colors and mood, but I must say, Google the term "Steely Dan" and all of a sudden you say, "wow, hello Vicar!" LOL

Like you, I'd pretty much say they all have some minor problems, but I agree that AC/DC is the worst - at least among the ones I listened to.

Who gives them a free pass though?

But yeah, it's bad, and they get "into your head" (or at least mine) worse than most. I think we are derailing Anhelyna's thread though. I loved her idea. This should maybe be in your "Underailable". Funny, but that sounds like a movie title!

• Prayers
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How about a bridge - music back to memes? I can't remember where I got it (and it was recent) so forgive me please if someone posted it in TAW a week ago.

image.jpg

Upvote 0