Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah he is. He says in his speeches something like he was "converted" to Orthodoxy as kind of a way to get people's attention. He then asks a rhetorical question asking how could he be a "convert" if he was a "cradle" in the first place and then he talks about himself as a Chrsitian.

I think his book is kind of a redaction of his "journey to Orthodoxy". That's how I see it anyhow. You can sense the friction between the skepticism and the faith throughout the book (or I can at least lol).

Unless you read something I didn't, he's a believing Orthodox Christian. :)

Thanks for the update on the new book! I can't wait! (we were just talking about Mountain of Silence today).

John

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Xpycoctomos said:
Yeah he is. He says in his speeches something like he was "converted" to Orthodoxy as kind of a way to get people's attention. He then asks a rhetorical question asking how could he be a "convert" if he was a "cradle" in the first place and then he talks about himself as a Chrsitian.

I think his book is kind of a redaction of his "journey to Orthodoxy". That's how I see it anyhow. You can sense the friction between the skepticism and the faith throughout the book (or I can at least lol).

Unless you read something I didn't, he's a believing Orthodox Christian. :)

Thanks for the update on the new book! I can't wait! (we were just talking about Mountain of Silence today).

John

Have you heard him speak? It thought that one of our members here said that he was scheduled to speak. I wonder if he goes on tour to promote his books?

It's wonderful when educated men return to the faith of their childhood and are unashamed to admit the truth. He's come a long way, full circle.

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Aria said:
Have you heard him speak? It thought that one of our members here said that he was scheduled to speak. I wonder if he goes on tour to promote his books?

It's wonderful when educated men return to the faith of their childhood and are unashamed to admit the truth. He's come a long way, full circle.

Yes! Though, I think there are many agnostics out there who have been exposed to Christianity and are still man enough to admit it when they see the Truth... it just hadn't yet been exposed to them in the best way for them. It seems in Mountain of Silence that he was a person very open to Truth... he had just never seen it fully in Orthdoxy... or at least not any more than in any other religion... until he was effectively exposed to it. God works in mysterious ways!

By the way, you can listen to a speech he gives at Holy Cross Seminary on the goarch.org website. If I find it, I'll post it.

John

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
correction.... it's actually in the Holy Cross Theological Seminary Webpage, not goarch.org.

Here: http://holycross.hchc.edu/pages/news/markides.asp

It's REALLY hard to here. i didn't listen to the whole thing because it was too difficult and the volume on my laptop doesn't go high enough.

John

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.