Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Did you not say, "major trading partners"? Now, how about Russia who we trade with? Russia and China are the Two major threats unless you can come up with more.

You can google it, but I'll help you out.

Survey of Chinese Espionage in the United States Since 2000 | Strategic Technologies Program | CSIS

Willful Ignorance read the article you'll get the idea.
IOW, you can’t actually articulate the specific threat posed by having them within a 1-2 hour drive of a base. All you can say is “they spy on us” and then hope we buy into your inferences.

Something that jumped out as me was that the chart in your article showed a big jump in espionage attempts during the Trump years and a modest decline since then.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Volt Typhoon targets US critical infrastructure with living-off-the-land techniques

Microsoft has uncovered stealthy and targeted malicious activity focused on post-compromise credential access and network system discovery aimed at critical infrastructure organizations in the United States. The attack is carried out by Volt Typhoon, a state-sponsored actor based in China that typically focuses on espionage and information gathering. Microsoft assesses with moderate confidence that this Volt Typhoon campaign is pursuing development of capabilities that could disrupt critical communications infrastructure between the United States and Asia region during future crises.

Volt Typhoon has been active since mid-2021 and has targeted critical infrastructure organizations in Guam and elsewhere in the United States. In this campaign, the affected organizations span the communications, manufacturing, utility, transportation, construction, maritime, government, information technology, and education sectors. Observed behavior suggests that the threat actor intends to perform espionage and maintain access without being detected for as long as possible. Microsoft is choosing to highlight this Volt Typhoon activity at this time because of our significant concern around the potential for further impact to our customers. Although our visibility into these threats has given us the ability to deploy detections to our customers, the lack of visibility into other parts of the actor’s activity compelled us to drive broader community awareness and further investigations and protections across the security ecosystem.

To achieve their objective, the threat actor puts strong emphasis on stealth in this campaign, relying almost exclusively on living-off-the-land techniques and hands-on-keyboard activity. They issue commands via the command line to (1) collect data, including credentials from local and network systems, (2) put the data into an archive file to stage it for exfiltration, and then (3) use the stolen valid credentials to maintain persistence. In addition, Volt Typhoon tries to blend into normal network activity by routing traffic through compromised small office and home office (SOHO) network equipment, including routers, firewalls, and VPN hardware. They have also been observed using custom versions of open-source tools to establish a command and control (C2) channel over proxy to further stay under the radar.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IOW, you can’t actually articulate the specific threat posed by having them within a 1-2 hour drive of a base. All you can say is “they spy on us” and then hope we buy into your inferences.

Something that jumped out as me was that the chart in your article showed a big jump in espionage attempts during the Trump years and a modest decline since then.
Lol the article speaks for me and if you can't see it then I know no amount of my words are going to enlighten you. [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] Trump again lol. I won't get into your tribal warfare. Peace

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Volt Typhoon targets US critical infrastructure with living-off-the-land techniques

Microsoft has uncovered stealthy and targeted malicious activity focused on post-compromise credential access and network system discovery aimed at critical infrastructure organizations in the United States. The attack is carried out by Volt Typhoon, a state-sponsored actor based in China that typically focuses on espionage and information gathering. Microsoft assesses with moderate confidence that this Volt Typhoon campaign is pursuing development of capabilities that could disrupt critical communications infrastructure between the United States and Asia region during future crises.

Volt Typhoon has been active since mid-2021 and has targeted critical infrastructure organizations in Guam and elsewhere in the United States. In this campaign, the affected organizations span the communications, manufacturing, utility, transportation, construction, maritime, government, information technology, and education sectors. Observed behavior suggests that the threat actor intends to perform espionage and maintain access without being detected for as long as possible. Microsoft is choosing to highlight this Volt Typhoon activity at this time because of our significant concern around the potential for further impact to our customers. Although our visibility into these threats has given us the ability to deploy detections to our customers, the lack of visibility into other parts of the actor’s activity compelled us to drive broader community awareness and further investigations and protections across the security ecosystem.

To achieve their objective, the threat actor puts strong emphasis on stealth in this campaign, relying almost exclusively on living-off-the-land techniques and hands-on-keyboard activity. They issue commands via the command line to (1) collect data, including credentials from local and network systems, (2) put the data into an archive file to stage it for exfiltration, and then (3) use the stolen valid credentials to maintain persistence. In addition, Volt Typhoon tries to blend into normal network activity by routing traffic through compromised small office and home office (SOHO) network equipment, including routers, firewalls, and VPN hardware. They have also been observed using custom versions of open-source tools to establish a command and control (C2) channel over proxy to further stay under the radar.
This is worthy of a thread all on its own; why’s it derailing this one?

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is worthy of a thread all on its own; why’s it derailing this one?
I believe that the topics of both new articles in this thread are inter-related.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe that the topics of both new articles in this thread are inter-related.
Ah, I missed that you were the OP (and can set the topics), mea culpa.
Does it seem odd that a corporation is taking upon itself the role of “a thing a government might do”?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ah, I missed that you were the OP (and can set the topics), mea culpa.
Does it seem odd that a corporation is taking upon itself the role of “a thing a government might do”?
Considering that the Chinese communist party has a very significant amount of control over Chinese corporations, I don't find it to be odd at all that this is happening.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Considering that the Chinese communist party has a very significant amount of control over Chinese corporations, I don't find it to be odd at all that this is happening.
I was speaking about Microsoft issuing a warning about Chinese IP products.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was speaking about Microsoft issuing a warning about Chinese IP products.
I am of the opinion that the current federal administration doesn't do nearly enough to keep our nation's key technology infrastructures safe from Chinese IP products. I believe that the Chinese communist party should be considered an enemy of the USA.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am of the opinion that the current federal administration doesn't do nearly enough to keep our nation's key technology infrastructures safe from Chinese IP products. I believe that the Chinese communist party should be considered an enemy of the USA.
You're 'way late to start worrying now.

I began worrying back in the latter 90s when Congress put the kibosh on most of the military and intelligence community using US-made, proprietary-design personal computer hardware and required us to buy our PCs "off the shelf." You couldn't even plug a store-bought mouse into them.

Even by then, "off the shelf" meant devices with Chinese components and commercial standard plug-ins. If the Chinese aren't planting worms in fake motherboard resistors, they're not as smart as I think they are.

• Informative
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It's ok if you trust China fully but I don't. From their past actions they are not benefiting Americas interest. I guess you trust Russia because they were a trading partner also.

Russia is far less a trading partner with the US than China.

• Agree
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It's ok if you trust China fully but I don't. From their past actions they are not benefiting Americas interest. I guess you trust Russia because they were a trading partner also.
In international affairs “trading-partners“ are the enemies that one keeps “closer”.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I bet most bases have a walmart nearby and 90% of that place is Chinese.
“Chairman President Xi allowed the Americans to think the ‘invasion’ was on their Southern Border, during his great bric-a-brac infiltration plan #17!”—2043 history chip, probably.

• Haha
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Did you write the article? If not then no I will not "get the idea" of what your fears are.
[devil’s advocate] “This article is my opinion” would be too blunt a way to put it but this, (if seen as a challenge to their own “honesty”) that they cannot think of a better way ro explain about what they think except by quoting the media they pretend to hate. Quoting fear pieces is all the far as some can go in “political thought”, so they run with it. [/da]

Upvote 0