Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
David C. Mitchell is the worlds foremost scholar on the Book of Psalms. In his exhaustive study of the structure and intricacies of the Psalms, he was intrigued by a section that spoke extensively about Messiah ben Joseph. Since then he has produced a masterwork on the topic. Drawing from scripture, Talmudic literature and a wealth of ancient sources, he has published a wonderful study, extensively supported by a wealth of source citations.
MessiahBenJoseph.png

Academia.com has a free excerpt in PDF format which is attached below. I read it and immediately ordered the book.

David Mitchell's Messiah ben Joseph is the largest book ever written—and the first ever in English—on Messiah ben Joseph, the slain messiah of Rabbinic Judaism. The author traces Messiah ben Joseph from his origins in the Book of Genesis, through the Pentateuch, the Prophets, the Psalms, the Pseudepigrapha, the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Targums, the New Testament and Church Fathers, the Talmud, the homiletic, exegetic, and apocalyptic midrashim, the Zohar, and the medieval rabbis, down to modern times. This journey to the roots of messianism has profound implications for Jewish-Christian debate and fresh insights for all who love the Bible.

"Mitchell presents his case with great clarity and conviction. An immensely valuable monograph by an undoubted authority on this fascinating topic." Professor Robert Gordon.

"David Mitchell demonstrates that the Messiah ben Joseph—who dies before the appearance of the conquering, nationalistic Messiah ben David—is a product not of the first centuries C.E. but of earliest Judaic messianic thinking. Critically acute and authoritative, this study is essential to any future evaluation of the foundations of Jewish and Christian messianic thinking." Professor Alan Avery-Peck.

I purchased my copy from Amazon for under $20, though I am sure it is available from all the usual suspects. I have linked the PDF excerpt below. Enjoy!

Attachments

• The_Origins_of_Messiah_ben_Joseph_pdf.pdf
    407.8 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: daq