Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There is only one Covenant, and that is the Covenant the LORD made with us (both the Jew and the Gentile) in Jesus Christ.The promises made to Abraham were made to ALL those who believe in Jesus Christ, and not the physical descendants of Abraham.
Nope. Not so. The specific promise of the land was made to Abraham and his descendants, but God reiterated this particular promise only to Isaac and then to Jacob, known as Israel. Sorry, but your statement above represents a common misconception among those who would rob Israel of her specific part of the promise belonging only to Israel. The promise of "the land, the Seed and the blessing" is made only to Israel, meaning she would occupy the land forever (at least until the end of the 1,000 year reign), she would bring forth Messiah who is Christ, and that the whole world would be blessed through Israel -- a reiteration of the blessing of Christ. Nowhere does the promise of the land pass forward to another nation. Israel is God's chosen people -- blessed with the first recorded responsibility of preaching the reality of God to the whole world. Even though she was and still is a stubborn, stiff-necked people, she has nonetheless succeeded in preserving God's word and in "making straight the way of the Lord" as God asked of her. He will not abandon her for the late-comers who are recipients of the blessing first given her.

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Nope. Not so. The specific promise of the land was made to Abraham and his descendants, but God reiterated this particular promise only to Isaac and then to Jacob, known as Israel. Sorry, but your statement above represents a common misconception among those who would rob Israel of her specific part of the promise belonging only to Israel. The promise of "the land, the Seed and the blessing" is made only to Israel, meaning she would occupy the land forever (at least until the end of the 1,000 year reign), she would bring forth Messiah who is Christ, and that the whole world would be blessed through Israel -- a reiteration of the blessing of Christ. Nowhere does the promise of the land pass forward to another nation. Israel is God's chosen people -- blessed with the first recorded responsibility of preaching the reality of God to the whole world. Even though she was and still is a stubborn, stiff-necked people, she has nonetheless succeeded in preserving God's word and in "making straight the way of the Lord" as God asked of her. He will not abandon her for the late-comers who are recipients of the blessing first given her.

I'm sorry, but what you say is NOT in the Scriptures:

It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham’s children. On the contrary, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.” In other words, it is not the children by physical descent who are God’s children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham’s offspring. Romans 9:6-8

As I stated earlier, the promise was given to Abraham and His seed (Jesus Christ), and not like you are trying to falsely claim.

And if you are Christ's, then are you Abraham's descendants, and heirs according to the promise. Galatians 3:29

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sorry, but what you say is NOT in the Scriptures:
I'm sorry you don't realize how erroneous your response is.
Genesis 35
9 Then God appeared to Jacob again when he came from Paddan-aram, and He blessed him.
10 God said to him, "Your name is Jacob; You shall no longer be called Jacob, But Israel shall be your name." Thus He called him Israel.
11 God also said to him, "I am God Almighty; Be fruitful and multiply; A nation and a company of nations shall come from you, And kings shall come forth from you.
For further evidence, I offer this excerpt from http://www.gotquestions.org/Abrahamic-covenant.html:
1. The promise of land (Genesis 12:1). God called Abraham from Ur of the Chaldees to a land that He would give him (Genesis 12:1). This promise is reiterated in Genesis 13:14–18 where it is confirmed by a shoe covenant; its dimensions are given in Genesis 15:18–21 (precluding any notion of this being fulfilled in heaven). The land aspect of the Abrahamic Covenant is also expanded in Deuteronomy 30:1–10, which is the Palestinian Covenant.

2. The promise of descendants (
Genesis 12:2). God promised Abraham that He would make a great nation out of him. Abraham, who was 75 years old and childless (Genesis 12:4), was promised many descendants. This promise is amplified in Genesis 17:6 where God promised that nations and kings would descend from the aged patriarch. This promise (which is expanded in the Davidic Covenant of 2 Samuel 7:12–16) would eventuate in the Davidic throne with Messiah’s kingdom rule over the Hebrew people.

3. The promise of blessing and redemption (
Genesis 12:3). God promised to bless Abraham and the families of the earth through him. This promise is amplified in the New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:31–34; cf. Hebrews 8:6–13) and has to do with “Israel’s spiritual blessing and redemption.” Jeremiah 31:34 anticipates the forgiveness of sin. The unconditional and eternal nature of the covenant is seen in that the covenant is reaffirmed to Isaac (Genesis 21:12; 26:3–4). The “I will” promises suggest the unconditional aspect of the covenant. The covenant is further confirmed to Jacob (Genesis 28:14–15). It is noteworthy that God reaffirmed these promises amid the sins of the patriarchs, which fact further emphasizes the unconditional nature of the Abrahamic Covenant.
With that, we're done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
California
✟15,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
<staff edit>

Remember Matthew 20: Now the kingdom of Heaven is like a landowner going out at daybreak to hire workers for his vineyard. He made an agreement with the workers for one denarius a day and sent them to his vineyard... Then at about the eleventh hour he went out and found more men standing around, and he said to them, "Why have you been standing here idle all day?" Because no one has hired us," they answered. He said to them, "You go into my vineyard too." In the evening, the owner of the vineyard said to his bailiff, "Call the workers and pay them their wages, starting with the last arrivals and ending with the first." So those who were hired at about the eleventh hour came forward and received one denarius each. When the first came, they expected to get more, but they too received one denarius each. They took it, but grumbled at the landowner saying, "The men who came last have done only one hour, and you have treated them the same as us, though we have done a heavy day's work in all the heat." He answered one of them and said, "My friend, I am not being unjust to you; did we not agree on one denarius? Take your earnings and go. I choose to pay the lastcomer as much as I pay you. Have I no right to do what I like with my own? Why should you be envious because I am generous?" Thus the last will be first, and the first, last.'

<staff edit> Stop worrying about how late the Israelites come to work in the field, you'll get your fair wage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

I'm sorry you don't realize how erroneous your response is.
Genesis 35
9 Then God appeared to Jacob again when he came from Paddan-aram, and He blessed him.
10 God said to him, "Your name is Jacob; You shall no longer be called Jacob, But Israel shall be your name." Thus He called him Israel.
11 God also said to him, "I am God Almighty; Be fruitful and multiply; A nation and a company of nations shall come from you, And kings shall come forth from you.
For further evidence, I offer this excerpt from http://www.gotquestions.org/Abrahamic-covenant.html:
1. The promise of land (Genesis 12:1). God called Abraham from Ur of the Chaldees to a land that He would give him (Genesis 12:1). This promise is reiterated in Genesis 13:14–18 where it is confirmed by a shoe covenant; its dimensions are given in Genesis 15:18–21 (precluding any notion of this being fulfilled in heaven). The land aspect of the Abrahamic Covenant is also expanded in Deuteronomy 30:1–10, which is the Palestinian Covenant.

2. The promise of descendants (
Genesis 12:2). God promised Abraham that He would make a great nation out of him. Abraham, who was 75 years old and childless (Genesis 12:4), was promised many descendants. This promise is amplified in Genesis 17:6 where God promised that nations and kings would descend from the aged patriarch. This promise (which is expanded in the Davidic Covenant of 2 Samuel 7:12–16) would eventuate in the Davidic throne with Messiah’s kingdom rule over the Hebrew people.

3. The promise of blessing and redemption (
Genesis 12:3). God promised to bless Abraham and the families of the earth through him. This promise is amplified in the New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:31–34; cf. Hebrews 8:6–13) and has to do with “Israel’s spiritual blessing and redemption.” Jeremiah 31:34 anticipates the forgiveness of sin. The unconditional and eternal nature of the covenant is seen in that the covenant is reaffirmed to Isaac (Genesis 21:12; 26:3–4). The “I will” promises suggest the unconditional aspect of the covenant. The covenant is further confirmed to Jacob (Genesis 28:14–15). It is noteworthy that God reaffirmed these promises amid the sins of the patriarchs, which fact further emphasizes the unconditional nature of the Abrahamic Covenant.
With that, we're done.
Hey neighbor, concerning the OT, is it something we use to pick out some teachings and discard others?

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hey neighbor, concerning the OT, is it something we use to pick out some teachings and discard others?
Nope. Christ obviously fulfilled the Law and rendered its condemning hold on us moot, but the entire Old Testament is valuable in interpreting the New Testament and in seeing how God's people responded to circumstances we still face today.

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I got to pull out my copy of "The Moody Handbook of Theology", I know I read something about that.

BTW, is it ok I eat a ham sandwich, I'm hungry. :)
You could come over and join us for pizza. It'll be here in about 23 minutes. Meanwhile we're watching Mizzou crush OSU in the Big 12 tourney.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MOD HAT ON

A little thread clean up has occurred. Let's try to get back on topic now and keep in mind our flaming rule when posting:

&#9679; Do not insult, belittle, mock, goad, personally attack, threaten, harass, or use derogatory nicknames in reference to other members or groups of members. Address the context of the post, not the poster.
&#9679; If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0