dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
From a Lutheran perspective, Lordishp Salvation is even worse than Roman Catholicism's take on salvation in its confusion of Law and Gospel.

I agree that salvation is more than just legal theater. But we must preserve the promise aspect of the Gospel that is lost into legalism with the "Lordship Salvation" approach.

I don't quite see how MacArthur differs from most evangelical presentations of the Gospel, though perhaps there are subtle differences. But any gospel tract I have seen indicates that one must also repent, not just believe ones sins are forgiven. Repentance is thought of turning from one's own way to God's way. How is MacArthur saying one must intend to obey Jesus as Lord, different from traditional evangelical presentations of the Gospel?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't quite see how MacArthur differs from most evangelical presentations of the Gospel, though perhaps there are subtle differences. But any gospel tract I have seen indicates that one must also repent, not just believe ones sins are forgiven. Repentance is thought of turning from one's own way to God's way. How is MacArthur saying one must intend to obey Jesus as Lord, different from traditional evangelical presentations of the Gospel?

Lordship that is decontextualized from Christ as Savior is empty of an actual Christ, who did not come to be served but to serve.

The evangelical emphasis on the human response to the Gospel as the critical element is very problematic, from a Lutheran perspective. We would not talk about the Gospel in terms of 4 spiritual laws or anything similar.

We do not teach that repentance is a condition for justification, it's something God does in us through the Holy Spirit. Lordship salvation blurs this distinction, it implies that only those who will be saved must live up to a certain standard of obedience. It's an exclusively Law-driven approach, and is therefore inconsistent with fundamental reformational theology. A Christian who takes hold of God's promises through faith has already gone from death to life, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ, etc.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Lordship that is decontextualized from Christ as Savior is empty of an actual Christ, who did not come to be served but to serve.

The evangelical emphasis on the human response to the Gospel as the critical element is very problematic, from a Lutheran perspective. We would not talk about the Gospel in terms of 4 spiritual laws or anything similar.

We do not teach that repentance is a condition for justification, it's something God does in us through the Holy Spirit. Lordship salvation blurs this distinction, it implies that only those who will be saved must live up to a certain standard of obedience. It's an exclusively Law-driven approach, and is therefore inconsistent with fundamental reformational theology. A Christian who takes hold of God's promises through faith has already gone from death to life, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ, etc.

I'm still doing a bit of reading on the topic. But I don't think MacArthur decontextualises Christ as Lord from Christ as saviour, as though he was just teaching salvation through obedience to Jesus teaching. But i'll read a bit further on it before saying for sure.

Upvote 0