Washington D.C.
✟7,693.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So, I guess I've been a Christian all my life, but haven't really actually started to really become a Christian until well, today.

It all started as I was browsing some Facebook quizzes...I always liked the Christian based ones, and there was the plethora of "Heaven or Hell" quizzes. So, I was like "Why not?" and took one based off of the Ten Commandments. I thought I did well following the Ten Commandments, accept for the one regarding obeying your parents and using the Lord's name in vain. That is, until I took this quiz, which really put things into prospective and put each one into real life examples. I found that I didn't actually follow many at all. At the begining, it asked if I felt I deserved to go to Heaven. I selected "Yes" as my answer. However, the last question was "After taking this quiz, do YOU feel that you STILL deserve to go to Heaven", and even I relized that I'm not living my life as the Lord want's me to, and selected "No". This worried me, and I relized it was time to stop taking Facebook quizzes and repeating simple prayers every night, and get off the couch and do something about it. So, I figured I would find a group of people on the Interwebz to ask questions, and generally socialize with other Christians. So, I came here. It's true that the day of Judgement could come at any time, and I could die tommorow. This set me into an almost panic. I'm worried if I truely have faith.

In all honesty, I believe in Jesus. However, every day my faith is tested at school. Take one of my friends, for example, who is an Atheist. I have been attempting to get him back on the right path for awhile now, prayed for him, etc, etc. One day, in another one of our arguemnets the "Big Bang" theory was brought up, and I said "Where did all the material and dust come from? Nothing!?!" and he replied, "Where does God come from, Eric, Nothing!?!?". Unfortunately, this ended my discussion, and I was troubled for the rest of the day, and still am. Does God come from Nothing?

I also tend to not necessarily disobey my parents, per-say, but I tend to give them alot of (what my mom refers to as "static") when asked to do something. And sometimes I curse them and use swear words, etc, etc. I know I'm not supposed too, but can Jesus turn me away for this? What can I do to fix this? I also have, err, the "occasional" argument with my brother, but I guess were somewhat on even ground....

My main problem and concern is, well, umm...that thing men do, because their men...yeah, quite often. My rational behind it is nowhere in the Holy Bible does it state "Thou shall not...umm..yeah...". Am I not supposed to do this?

Also, it says thou shall not have an Idol. Someone told me this is true when you somewhat "Adjust" God to fix your needs. Is this true also? How do I stop this?

In essence. I'm Lost, and I've wandered away from His Flock. I've performed prayers of repentence, but, I don't really feel any different. It may be that I'm expecting to feel an arm around me and a "I'm here for you Eric, your forgived", but I just don't feel any different, that I really AM forgiven. Am I doing something wrong?

Please help, I really want to find my way,
Eric

Last edited:

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hey Spike,

Well, doing those quizes are part and parcel of the wiles of the enemy. You fell for his subtle trap. The whole idea of such things is to steal, destroy, and kill, which is the work of the enemy.

When we get to this part of of walk with our Lord Jesus Christ, we turn in all directions not knowing which way to turn.

Mate, it all comes down to what our heart feels, and if it feels as though it's being squeezed, then I can say that it is and who is doing this squeezing is that little red imp and his forces.

You need good Christian counselling, and you need your house emptied of those thoughts that has made it empty, swept, and put in order.

You need to get back to submission to HIM, and to draw near to HIM, and it's not straight forward, because you also need to cleanse your hands, and purify your heart.

Once you have done that then you will be able to resist Satan and his forces and then they will flee.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

fingerttip

Jun 15, 2009
North Carolina
✟7,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey Eric,
Nothing you can do or not do will make you right with God. Nobody can be good enough for God. Nobody except Jesus that is. God requires perfecton, but the great part is God put Jesus's test score on our paper. We could never score 100% on the perfection test, but Jesus did, and his score is put on our paper.

Some pastors want you to pray a prayer to be saved, or change your whole life. None of this matters for salvation. the only thing that matters is if you believe that jesus paid the price of your sins for you, (your score was put on his paper, and his score was put on your paper.)

As to your friend from school. I would maybe look into apologetics. Apologetics is basically the study of how to defend your faith. There is lots of evidence, scientific, historical, archaelogical, philisophical, ect ect that in my oppinion makes an overwhelming argument for christianity being true. It can be difficult and damaging to your faith to try to debate someone when you dont know for yourself what you believe, and how to defend it. Personally I like the google seard for godandscience and the book "evidence that demands a verdict"

The bible is always true and without error. Never be affraid to ask the hard questions, and investigate what you think is a contradiction. God is truth, and if you find the truth you will find the bible and God. Many atheists believe christians believe based on blind faith, but it doesnt have to be that way.

2 Tim 2:15 Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman not needing to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

I guess this is a long enough response. haha
Matt

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God knows your heart and knows you are searching.

You cannot do anything to make God love you more as stated above - however, you cannot do anything to make God love you less.

Once you repent of your sins, you need to see yourself as God sees you - your sins thrown into the lake of forgetfullness, as far as the east is from the west.

You just need to move ahead and walk hand in hand with Jesus being guided by the Holy Spirit - let the Holy Spirit tell you when you are doing something that God does not want you to do - you will get a check in your spirit when it is something you should not do.

As far as witnessing to an Atheist - there is no arguement that will win them over - they always have a come back - just live your life in the Joy of the LOrd and let them see your light shining - they will not understand all this joy and will seek after it - the best thing to say to an atheist is nothing - but live your life as a witness of walking with Jesus each and every day. The Bible tells us He will never leave us or forsake us. Most atheists want to prove you wrong, so if you don't give them anything to prove wrong, except the Joy of the Lord - you have defeated their purpose of argueing.

As far as doing what men ...uh...er...do - you are young, natural hormones kicking in - don't beat yourself up over it.

Upvote 0
J

Jeffersoni

Hey Eric,
Nothing you can do or not do will make you right with God. Nobody can be good enough for God. Nobody except Jesus that is. God requires perfecton, but the great part is God put Jesus's test score on our paper. We could never score 100% on the perfection test, but Jesus did, and his score is put on our paper.

Some pastors want you to pray a prayer to be saved, or change your whole life. None of this matters for salvation. the only thing that matters is if you believe that jesus paid the price of your sins for you, (your score was put on his paper, and his score was put on your paper.)

As to your friend from school. I would maybe look into apologetics. Apologetics is basically the study of how to defend your faith. There is lots of evidence, scientific, historical, archaelogical, philisophical, ect ect that in my oppinion makes an overwhelming argument for christianity being true. It can be difficult and damaging to your faith to try to debate someone when you dont know for yourself what you believe, and how to defend it. Personally I like the google seard for godandscience and the book "evidence that demands a verdict"

The bible is always true and without error. Never be affraid to ask the hard questions, and investigate what you think is a contradiction. God is truth, and if you find the truth you will find the bible and God. Many atheists believe christians believe based on blind faith, but it doesnt have to be that way.

2 Tim 2:15 Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman not needing to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

I guess this is a long enough response. haha
Matt
Very well said:clap:

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
You know, the really important thing is that God loves you, hugely and unconditionally.
He loves you when you are praying and seeking Him... and He loves you just as much when you are sinning. And as soon as you repent and say sorry, He not only forgives you, but He wipes out the sin as though it never happened.
When God looks at you, He sees the righteousness of Jesus.

Nothing you do can make Him love you any less.
But, as you get to know Him better, and learn more about Him through His word and His Spirit, you will want to do what is right out of love for Him.. not because you are afraid of hell, not because you need to earn His love, but just because He is so awesome, and has done so much for you that you want to live for Him.
And you will still make mistakes, and sin.. we all do. But as you come to Him over and over again in repentance, you will find that His love never changes.

Read the gospels, get to know what Jesus is really like :) Because the Law is not important, all that we need to do is to love Him and to love others. Everything else just flows from that.

If you have time, watch this video. It helps me when I am feeling condemned, and refocuses me on Jesus.

YouTube - The Inheritance for Men and Women

Praying for you :hug:

Upvote 0

Spike511

Jun 14, 2009
Washington D.C.
✟7,693.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks guys. I finnaly truely and honestly asked the Lord to step into my life and to guide me to where He want's me to be. I actually felt somewhat of a presence with me, and I feel that I can now sense Him telling me what I'm doing wrong. As weird as this sounds, when I swore today, exactly after I said that word, I stubbed my toe...hard. I'm also slightly OCD with some things, and when I went to cave in to some of those daily little things, I felt I was being pulled away. I feel great, and am so glad that life is starting to turn around.

--
Eric

Upvote 0

Nobody1

Jun 5, 2009
✟499.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
<snip>
In all honesty, I believe in Jesus. However, every day my faith is tested at school. Take one of my friends, for example, who is an Atheist. I have been attempting to get him back on the right path for awhile now, prayed for him, etc, etc. One day, in another one of our arguemnets the "Big Bang" theory was brought up, and I said "Where did all the material and dust come from? Nothing!?!" and he replied, "Where does God come from, Eric, Nothing!?!?". Unfortunately, this ended my discussion, and I was troubled for the rest of the day, and still am. Does God come from Nothing?
<snip>

God is always existent. Put it this way: you exist do you not?

There is no such thing as "nothing". That is the truth. Darkness, nothingness is an absurdity. In this world much speaks of God not existing because as Proverbs says, "It is God's to hide a matter".

People say, "Oh I will not exist sometime". Oh really. Do you know that for sure? How do you know that? Can you prove that? Of course not.

There is never a time in your memory when you have not existed.

Let's pull the camera out a little here.

How do you know anything existed before you were born? Because of television recordings? Newspapers? What your parents and friends say? But, were you there? Do you have firsthand proof of that?

No.

Of course not, unless you can time travel.

How do you know countries you have never been to really exist at all? Or how do you know that the earth really revolves around the sun? And so on. Because you see people telling you this with convincing evidence: video tape, expert scientists, trusted parents and elders, peers.

All word of mouth.

You are trusting outside, secondhand evidence for all of the big things in your world.

The walls and floors around you, you can believe they are real. Touch them. They are real.

Whatever "real" means.

Scientists teach the earth is millions of years old because they have proof. Really. Dinosaur bones and tracks were created by God to trap men in their own wickedness. How does one prove carbon dating? By historical evidence. If carbon dating goes beyond historical evidence - like XYZ city was at XYZ time, and this works for that piece of cloth or old idol or coin found there - then they just assume it must continue to work, well, millions of years back.

All nonsense. They were not there. How would they know? They are trusting illusions, the same sort of illusions and idols their forefathers trusted in.

It says this clearly in 2 Thessalonians and elsewhere. Because of their wickedness God sends to them a great lie. Now God is truth and does not lie, but man sought out idols, so God let them have them. Idols so "profound" it would make them sleep, dumb, deaf, and blind. They are completely confounded.

It is like the tower of babylon, 'let us go and confound their speech', they were trying to build a tower into the Heavens.

Point being man thinks so highly of himself, he takes his interactions he has had with God and actually projects his own miserable, created self onto God.

This only brings him woe and drives him further from God.

The whole point is to fill their cups to the brim, so it is easier for them to have a cup of sour fill which bursts their insides and forces them to come to Christ.

Upvote 0

Diatogen

May 10, 2009
Michigan
✟15,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
On the unmentionable subject, it's something you should stop. Are you thinking about women as sexual objects while you're... 'doing it'? Then it is sin. Moreover, it cheapens your view on women in general, even at a subconscious level. They are all potential sisters having the same value and need of Christ as you. Even thinking of God's children in such a way is offensive to Him, His children and their parents!

I do NOT think it's one of those toung-in-cheek things that Christians should turn a blind eye to. I DO think it's one of the most powerful grips the devil still has on us and it needs to be taken seriously. Yes it's just your hormones but acting on them is not. That's a choice and it is surely hard to chose not to (trust me, I understand).

Can you not live without it? If you cannot, then you are a slave to your flesh. He who serves the flesh does not serve God. Jesus said that if you even look with lust, you've committed adultery. 7th commandment = broken = wrong.

Upvote 0

Spike511

Jun 14, 2009
Washington D.C.
✟7,693.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You know, the really important thing is that God loves you, hugely and unconditionally.
He loves you when you are praying and seeking Him... and He loves you just as much when you are sinning. And as soon as you repent and say sorry, He not only forgives you, but He wipes out the sin as though it never happened.
When God looks at you, He sees the righteousness of Jesus.

Nothing you do can make Him love you any less.
But, as you get to know Him better, and learn more about Him through His word and His Spirit, you will want to do what is right out of love for Him.. not because you are afraid of hell, not because you need to earn His love, but just because He is so awesome, and has done so much for you that you want to live for Him.
And you will still make mistakes, and sin.. we all do. But as you come to Him over and over again in repentance, you will find that His love never changes.

Read the gospels, get to know what Jesus is really like :) Because the Law is not important, all that we need to do is to love Him and to love others. Everything else just flows from that.

If you have time, watch this video. It helps me when I am feeling condemned, and refocuses me on Jesus.

Praying for you :hug:

That was the best thing I've heard in awhile. That also helped me with that..errr...problem regarding...errr....man things. If He loves me THAT much, then the LEAST I can do, is stop doing, well, that, for Him.

Thanks you guys, thank you so much. I feel like I see the world with new eyes...as weird as that sounds. :groupray:

Thank you so much guys,
Eric

*By the way, the video wouldn't post because of my post count...just if anyone is wondering.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Spike511

Jun 14, 2009
Washington D.C.
✟7,693.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I know I mentioned me being saved two or so days ago. But it was more of a quick thought and that was it, not even 30 seconds on the subject. Last night I spent almost a whole 10 minutes asking the Lord to come into my heart and save me, and I want to know...is that it? I don't feel a WHOLE lot different, it was sort of anticlimatic. Is that all I had to do? Also...I have heard that the Lord IS God...but...does that mean that God is the Father (like...God, God), Jesus is God, and the Holy Spirit is well...just that? Or do I have my facts screwed up. Who should I love more? Jesus?

One last quick question that I don't feel needs to have a new thread made for it. I want to join the US Air Force when I get older, and, like all military duty, I may have to kill someone. By doing this, am I writing a one way ticket to hell, and making the Lord sad? Or since it's military is it different? I want to fly Airlift/Tanker, but you never know...

Thanks,
Eric

Upvote 0

glass_heart

Seek, Serve and Follow Christ
Jun 5, 2009
United Kingdom
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really? What did you expect to feel like? I think you very much need to read the bible; particularly the parts referring to the holy trinity if this is bothering you. Try something on the web like bible gateway, word on the web, or every day with jesus- that might help. You've only just started on your journey into faith, from christian in name only to believer. Don't expect to know everything right from the start; stop panicking and confusing yourself and listen to God.

All you have to do? You have to make a real commitment- to God, to Jesus, allow the Holy Spirit into your life so you can begin to grow and learn as a Christian. This is not a one time deal- you need to continue speaking to and seeking God. Do you attend church or have a Christian society in your school? It is time to get more involved!

I don't know how to answer your questions about joining the military- perhaps you could speak to an army chaplain? Is that possible? Or try the advice post on the Chaplain forum on here. I know quite a number of people who are Christians and in the army- I don't know how they reconcile it but they do.

Oh and about your friend; does he belive in love? Justice? Ask him to show you one particle of either- where do they come from? Ask him to show you gravity corporatley- does it have a colour, can you touch it, smell it, taste it or see it. Sure an apple falls to the ground but how can you be sure it's gravity? Has he ever seen the core of the Earth? One- hundred years ago we knew the Earth was flat- now we know the earth is round. What will we know in a hundred years more? Finally I believe some American currency bears the legend "In God We Trust"? That should give him some food for thought, for a little while at least.

Upvote 0

fingerttip

Jun 15, 2009
North Carolina
✟7,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Spike,
Here is my quick summary of the questions in your last post.

1)How quick before you feel different
2)How to actually be saved
3)The trinity
4)Killing

Here are my quick answers to your questions.

1)It takes a long time in my opinion to feel and act truely different. Its not a switch in your brain that God flips on when your saved. To change your thinking and behaviour, you have to have a relationship with God. This comes just like all of our own relationships. You have to have communication between two people in order to have a relationship. Communication from you to him, and him to you. His communication to you is through the bible, your communication to him is through prayer. This takes time, and wont happen overnight. Be patient and God will change you if you do the above.

2)To be saved you must: Believe that you sin. The penalty for sin, in Gods eyes, is death. All of your sins, past, present, and future, have been fully paid for by Jesus dieing for you. This last one is the the essential one. In other words, Jesus took your punishment for you. If you believe the statement in bold, then I blieve you are saved.

3)The Trinity, God the father, God the son, and God the Holy spirit. All of them are part of ONE God. Think of it this way. I am about to be a Father, I am a husband, I am also a son. These are all roles, responsibilities, flavors, and parts of the same person, Matt. Ok back to the trinity. They are all God, and neither is more important than the other. However in scripture they interact with us differently in that we see a different side or flavor of God. This is bare bones explanation but I hope it helps.

4)Killing. If you believe the bolded section above, then nothing you have done in the past, or will do in the future can ever seperate you from God. Once saved always saved. I personally dont believe God considers it a sin to kill someone while in the service of defending the country. Having said that, I cant prove it to you biblically, although if I studied more I think I could. I feel I have a fair understanding of the bible, and that is what my gut says. However I am very willing to be proven wrong if biblical proof is given.

Hope this helped,
Matt

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think you're doing well, spike.

Something that's going to hit you as you move forward, eventually -- this doesn't stop. God's all about redemption. You're not likely to get to the point where you actually can say, "I've arrived". Because generally, the Christian life is one of constantly being redeemed. So there's more to redeem.

It's a very different way of looking at life, as sort of an unfinished symphony.

God can bring you to feel some satisfaction and accomplishment when you do something well; but it's not the feeling you should trust. There's a time when God will take you beyond the feeling, where the feeling won't be there, but you'll realize by seeing it or by reviewing your life, "Hey, that's actually done. I didn't feel it happen, but it's actually happened."

And some things just take learning, experience, and going through it.

There's this video I ... tend to spread around too much. But I think it's instructive to help pop out of the conventional way of thinking about Christianity:

YouTube - A New Law

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.