South Carolina
✟9,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So i wanna make sure i answer this throughly. Here’s his questions after we talked about atheist wanting a infinite universe instead of dealing with the Big Bang. Any suggestions on what do actually say. I’m trying to find the polls now.

6385B1D1-D6EA-406A-90F1-F93EB27F4121.png

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So i wanna make sure i answer this throughly. Here’s his questions after we talked about atheist wanting a infinite universe instead of dealing with the Big Bang. Any suggestions on what do actually say. I’m trying to find the polls now.

Well, first, talking to people like this is fruitless (Matthew 10:14). If it has to be done (which I doubt), I don't think you have the skills for it.

1. Not sure what you mean here.

2. The overwhelming consensus of scientists is that the Big Bang theory is correct (see e.g. here). The onus of proof is on him to find a respected physicist or cosmologist who disagrees.

3. The Big Bang theory implies that our universe came into being at a time T0 (i.e. that it existed after T0, but not "before," if "before" has any meaning). In that sense it was created. The Big Bang theory says nothing about how our universe came into being.

Upvote 0

Eklypised

Oct 14, 2019
South Carolina
✟9,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, first, talking to people like this is fruitless (Matthew 10:14). If it has to be done (which I doubt), I don't think you have the skills for it.

1. Not sure what you mean here.

Their would be no need for a creator if the universe as always existed. That’s why now their trying to get away from the Big Bang which they have to come up with some explanation on what caused something from nothing. If the universe has always
Existed then a creator is diminished a little bit

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Their would be no need for a creator if the universe as always existed.

Oh, you meant infinite in time? You should have said so.

That’s why now their trying to get away from the Big Bang which they have to come up with some explanation on what caused something from nothing.

No doubt that is true. But it's foolish to say that to an atheist unless you can back it up.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I would let God handle this one.
And if the atheist won't accept God's answer, why do you think that he will accept yours?

God has already put the evidence of Creation out there to be seen.

Every night and every day creation happens.
People are born, plants grow and produce seed, rain and snow happen, somewhere the Sun shines, the moon beams, and day turns into night and then becomes day again. That is time, as men measure it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, you meant infinite in time? You should have said so.

No doubt that is true. But it's foolish to say that to an atheist unless you can back it up.
Ummm, no. God is not in time, but outside of it.
God created time for the sake of man, but God Himself is infinite (not limited) by Time itself.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ummm, no. God is not in time, but outside of it.
God created time for the sake of man, but God Himself is infinite (not limited) by Time itself.

Yes, I know that. I think you totally misunderstood what I said.

The OP's argument (I now realise, after his clarification) is that atheists want a universe that's infinite in time, because it takes away the need for a creation event. That's consistent with what Stanley Jaki OSB said in his books, but it's harder to convince an atheist of that motivation, and I myself wouldn't try.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Their would be no need for a creator if the universe as always existed. That’s why now their trying to get away from the Big Bang which they have to come up with some explanation on what caused something from nothing. If the universe has always
Existed then a creator is diminished a little bit
The eternal universe was the common belief prior to the "Big Bang" theory. Arguing with atheists has little point, even if you are a genius scientist or philosopher. I am neither, but I've argued enough to know what a time waste it can be. There are exceptions. Some are genuinely interested in what and why Christians believe.

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, I know that. I think you totally misunderstood what I said.

The OP's argument (I now realise, after his clarification) is that atheists want a universe that's infinite in time, because it takes away the need for a creation event. That's consistent with what Stanley Jaki OSB said in his books, but it's harder to convince an atheist of that motivation, and I myself wouldn't try.

ok, gotcha. :oldthumbsup:

• Friendly
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them -- John 6

This might be anyone, but it is not everyone.

The person who has been drawn by the Father does not need a clever argument.

The person who has been drawn by the Father needs nothing but the gospel.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here’s his questions
On science shows that the universe had a beginning try :-
Alexander Vilenkin: “All the evidence we have says that the universe had a beginning”

quote from it:-
At a meeting of scientists – titled “State of the Universe” – convened last week at Cambridge University to honor Stephen Hawking’s 70th birthday, cosmologist Alexander Vilenkin of Tufts University in Boston presented evidence that the universe is not eternal after all, leaving scientists at a loss to explain how the cosmos got started without a supernatural creator. The meeting was reported in New Scientist magazine (Why physicists can’t avoid a creation event, 11 January 2012).

The evidence is universaly accepted by scientists, if your atherist disputes it ask him for evidence.
Just be sure you have explored the Christian arguments for desigh, complexity, morality etc etc and can quote the scierntific evidence.

hint wintery knight often quotes them so use his search function.

• Informative
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Eklypised

Oct 14, 2019
South Carolina
✟9,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On science shows that the universe had a beginning try :-
Alexander Vilenkin: “All the evidence we have says that the universe had a beginning”

quote from it:-
At a meeting of scientists – titled “State of the Universe” – convened last week at Cambridge University to honor Stephen Hawking’s 70th birthday, cosmologist Alexander Vilenkin of Tufts University in Boston presented evidence that the universe is not eternal after all, leaving scientists at a loss to explain how the cosmos got started without a supernatural creator. The meeting was reported in New Scientist magazine (Why physicists can’t avoid a creation event, 11 January 2012).

The evidence is universaly accepted by scientists, if your atherist disputes it ask him for evidence.
Just be sure you have explored the Christian arguments for desigh, complexity, morality etc etc and can quote the scierntific evidence.

hint wintery knight often quotes them so use his search function.

this is what he said in the comments

Attachments

• 737A1CB0-5A39-4E76-9348-FAC045B43BCA.png
    737A1CB0-5A39-4E76-9348-FAC045B43BCA.png
    710.5 KB · Views: 3
  • D2360D65-6B33-4CF0-90C4-02A423B892D9.png
    D2360D65-6B33-4CF0-90C4-02A423B892D9.png
    749.4 KB · Views: 4
  • B9D135D2-C0F9-4366-B291-FBD9FFA7A273.png
    B9D135D2-C0F9-4366-B291-FBD9FFA7A273.png
    762.7 KB · Views: 3
  • B5E1BABD-EC1B-4C56-B48B-2BE875493038.png
    B5E1BABD-EC1B-4C56-B48B-2BE875493038.png
    665.8 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, first, talking to people like this is fruitless

BINGO!!! they're not trying to "Learn anything", as much as they're trying to MAKE YOU DOUBT. Smile, and walk away, knowing that YOU KNOW SOMETHING THEY DON'T: "there's no other name but JESUS by which men can be saved".

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
this is what he said in the comments

He seems to believe in a cyclic universe. Personally, I think the scientific evidence is against that because (1) the universe doesn't seem to be headed for a "Big Crunch," and (2) entropy considerations rule it out.

But obviously you don't know enough about science to talk him out of that position. Why are you even having the conversation?

The Big Bang/universe is not my area of expertise in apologetics.

I ask again: Why are you even having the conversation?

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Eklypised

Oct 14, 2019
South Carolina
✟9,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He seems to believe in a cyclic universe. Personally, I think the scientific evidence is against that because (1) the universe doesn't seem to be headed for a "Big Crunch," and (2) entropy considerations rule it out.

But obviously you don't know enough about science to talk him out of that position. Why are you even having the conversation?

I ask again: Why are you even having the conversation?

this was my comment on a Lee Strobel video and dude attacked me on it

If there is no God, then all of creation just accidentally popped into existence all by itself. Everything exists by mere chance, as a result of random biochemical processes, without any purpose, without any destiny, without any reason....everything simply is what it is. So this accidental, random creation came loaded with all sorts of physical laws that are filled with rhyme and reason, logic, and rationality.

Atheist Paul Davis outlines all factors for life to evolve on Earth, which he calls “coincidental factors”, the calculations and odds him and other scientist came up with was 1 x 10 to the 400th power. A number bigger than all the atoms in the observable universe.

Astro-physicists (can’t remember any names) estimate that there are no more than 10x80 infinitesimal particles in the universe and that the age of the universe in its present form is no greater than 10x18 seconds.....30 billion years. So they say each particle can participate in a thousand billion (10x12) different events every second.....then the greatest number of events that could ever happen in all the universe throughout its entire history is only 10x80 X 10x 80 X 10x12 or 10x110. Any event with a probability of less than one chance in 10x110 cannot occur. Its probability becomes zero, at least in our known universe.....the simplest replicating protein molecule has been shown by Golay1 to have a probability of one in 10x450. Salisbury2 calculates the probability of a typical DNA chain to be one in 10x60

The odds are astronomical for mere chance given all the factors that have to take place.

Reactions: Semper-Fi
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
this was my comment on a Lee Strobel video and dude attacked me on it

There are two useful kinds of apologetics:
  1. experts write books defending Christianity
  2. ordinary Christians defend Christianity, and correct misapprehensions about it, when talking to personal friends and acquaintances (books from group 1 are useful here)

What you're doing seems to be neither of those.

If there is no God, then all of creation just accidentally popped into existence all by itself.

Yes, I know. I'm a Christian. Why are you telling me this?

Salisbury2 calculates the probability of a typical DNA chain to be one in 10x600.

That seems like a pretty dubious calculation to me. And a rather mindless copy-pasta from icr.org, given that reference 2 has been lost (of course, it wasn't a particularly compelling reference anyway). Not to mention turning 10^600 into the nonsensical 10x600.

What effect did you think posting that was going to have?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KateforChrist

Koalas are NOT bears
Nov 18, 2019
Sydney
✟27,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I gave up worrying about how the universe came into being several years ago.

The conclusion that I came to is that if God is able to create the universe (and I personally believe that He did, just using if in an if then statement) then He is able to do so in any way He chooses. If He had chosen to He could have made it all at one time in the wink of an eye.

My personal belief is He has told us in the Bible as much as we need to know about His creating the universe. Anything that man thinks up are just theories that cannot be proven. We think with logical reasoning but we have to remember that we are humans. God has his reasons for not revealing everything to us at this time.

There are many things that we believe through plain and simple faith. With logical human reasoning Jesus dying on a cross and being resurrected to save us doesn't make sense.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0