need help on how to track my ancestry

Sybaris

Mar 7, 2004
✟8,414.00
Faith
Atheist
Start by collecting the names and dates of birth (death) of your grandparents, where they lived, where they were born. If they're alive ask them about their parents. If your family has lived in the same location for a 100 years or so there should be some documentation in the genealogical section of your local library. Check obits in papers, local history collections etc. Make positive connections. A lot of novice researchers see a common last name and assume that that person is an ancestor and get led down a dead end or unrelated road. Get copies of marriage licenses and death certificates too.

Upvote 0

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Start by asking any older family members that are still around what they know about their family history. Try to find out what locations they think the family came from. See if your family has a "family Bible" that they record births/marriages/deaths in. This will help you know where to look.

Don't expect overnight results. Sometimes it will take months or years to find a new name. I have been doing this for about 12 years and it is a real exercise in patience. There will always be more information that I could gather and I will never really be "done".

If your family has been in the USA for a while check out The USGenWeb Project.

Also check out:
http://www.rootsweb.com/ (This site has been invaluable to me)

http://www.genealogy.com/ (the message boards are free)

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints also has a lot of information on Genealogy, but I haven't had much luck with them.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Upvote 0

Serenpidity24

Feb 17, 2006
✟15,198.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

You may also want to talk to the oldest living relativein your family as a source of information.

www.ancestry.com is a great source if you know the area's in which your grandparents lived, where born, etc. You can search information through the site. They offer a free trial subscription and from there is you are pleased with the program, you can purchase the program for reasonable prices.

Upvote 0

Sybaris

Mar 7, 2004
✟8,414.00
Faith
Atheist
Here's another free site:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

It's the LDS posting of the 1880 census. Census' are excellent sources of info but bear in mind that not all census takers were great spellers and those that translated the census' into databases didn't always translate the names correctly so you may have to try different spellings.

Civil War records may contain keys to relatives, especially in Union enlistment papers:

http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.htm

One of the census' has a check block to document the Civil War service of the household member.

If you can determine what regiment and company your ancestor served in you can go to NARA and order their record:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/

The Confederate records are pretty sparse or non-existant. Union pension records usually contain much more information than service records. There is a database that lists all CW veterans that received a pension but I haven't found a free version of it. Revolutionary War veterans also received pensions and had to submit affidavits to receive them. They make for very interesting reading and can provide clues to your ancestors past. with these you can also start to establish your RW lineage and join the DAR or SAR.

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
chocolategirl16 said:
where do i go? what steps am i supposed to take! i've tried the internet. i've tried the library. but i can't seem to find anything! is the only way to pay for a program or something?:confused:

Check and see if the local LDS (Mormon) Church has a Family History Library.

I am NOT Mormon, and I don't recommend that religion, but a big element of it is genealogy. Most Mormon churches of any size have a family history library that is open to the public.

The Mormon family history library will have its own collection of census and other records on microfilm and microfiche and microfilm/fiche readers so you can look at them.

You can also order the loan of various records (books, microfilms/fiches, etc.) from the Mecca of genealogy, the Mormon genealogical library in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Of course, as other posters have advised you, you must have as much information as you can get from your living relatives before you start trying to hunt down your dead ones.

Go to the public library and read a good basic introductory book on genealogy.

When you have gotten back a few generations, you might want to consider having your DNA tested by Family Tree DNA.

Since you are female, you will only be able to take a test for mitochondrial DNA (female line straight back to Eve). If you want to know about your male line straight back, you will have to recruit your brother or other verified male relative in your father's line to submit a Y-DNA test (test of the DNA of the male Y chromosome).

You could also choose to participate in National Geographic's Genographic Project, a study of worldwide DNA patterns in terms of human migration and ethnicity.

Then you will know more about yourself than you ever wanted to know! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

HolyGuardianAngels

Merry Christmas Everyone
Mar 10, 2005
Southern California, just minutes from the beach !
✟17,081.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Start by collecting the names and dates of birth (death) of your grandparents, where they lived, where they were born. If they're alive ask them about their parents. If your family has lived in the same location for a 100 years or so there should be some documentation in the genealogical section of your local library. Check obits in papers, local history collections etc. Make positive connections. A lot of novice researchers see a common last name and assume that that person is an ancestor and get led down a dead end or unrelated road. Get copies of marriage licenses and death certificates too.

BUT, what if you're adopted .. . WHERE do you begin then . . . How does someone find their TRUE family line . . .

:angel:

Upvote 0

HolyGuardianAngels

Merry Christmas Everyone
Mar 10, 2005
Southern California, just minutes from the beach !
✟17,081.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If your second name is Irish then I can help if you want.

Butt, what if the HAIR on your head, bleaches BLONDE . . .

• ARE Blondes and Black haird people, from the same genetic line . . .

:angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blackmarch

Legend
Oct 23, 2004
Utah, USA
✟32,616.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
where do i go? what steps am i supposed to take! i've tried the internet. i've tried the library. but i can't seem to find anything! is the only way to pay for a program or something?:confused:
Like others have said start with what you know- significant dates for you, your parents and grandparents. then if you know of any family records in the family go to those.. also you can probably ask relatives for what they know.
If you know names you can look up census records.

I haven't used many geneology services but I've heard that LDS geneology services are pretty good and have an extensive database.

Upvote 0
B

Basil the Great

Personally, I prefer the free Family search LDS website over the Ancestry.com website. However, many libraries have a subscription to Ancestry.com, so you might be able to use it for free at your local library. Most of the suggestions given already cover things pretty well. If you can find distant cousins that have already traced your ancestral lines, they can be of immense help.

Upvote 0

rossignol

Feb 18, 2012
✟7,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you google names directly you will not often find results. Look into government records like censuses and military records as well as graveyard and church records then look for the name. I found the most accurate records for my family in the Spanish records even though my ancestors weren't from there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums