Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CV NEWS FEED // A successful basketball player joined the Knights of Columbus three years ago amidst several large struggles in his life—and found that his love for God, his family, and basketball significantly increased through giving back.

In a recent interview with Columbia Magazine, NBA player Luke Kornet described his journey to professional basketball and how that affected his relationship with God. Kornet played basketball in college for Vanderbilt University, which was the beginning of his career as a professional basketball player. However, Kornet struggled to balance his love for basketball with his spiritual life in college.

asketball became an identity-consuming thing for me in college; it was very difficult to find a balance,” he said. “For example, we had games on Saturdays, and I remember a lot of times during Sunday Mass being consumed thinking about the game.”

Kornet said that after he graduated in 2017, he signed a contract with the New York Knicks. Until December 2018, he played well and basketball quickly became a key aspect of his identity.

At the end of 2018, Kornet got hit in the face during a game, which broke his nose and later began to affect his shooting. He began playing with the Chicago Bulls in 2019, but said that his performance gradually began to deteriorate due to his injury.

“I had spent my whole life primarily as a 3-point shooter, which was the main source of my confidence and identity as a basketball player,” he said. “And then I couldn’t shoot anymore. As 2019 went on, it became embarrassing to shoot in front of people, because I really didn’t know what was going to happen.”

Continued below.