Naturist Christian Fellowships - could they work here?

C

crashedman

Hi all,

I was looking to gain an honest answer from all the posters here about this often neglected and maligned topic, but does anyone think that having a fellowship group for naturists interested in Christianity and vice versa will work?

I have been into this lifestyle since 1990 and found most of them to be very friendly and compassionate people. A guy I know asked a few years back whether anyone was looking to get a fellowship group together that could support a number a of worthy causes and help educate people as to what our lifestyle is about, despite the negative connotations that our current laws and church legalism puts onto it.

I have read the Bible, and not found anything in there that specifically condemns it (even though there are some gay people and partner-swappers who practise it, but the group I want to set up is not out to entertain such activities). It was practised by the early Christians (mostly baptisms) until the reign of Emporer Constantine, and during the 1930's Hitler was one of the most voracious critics of it and sought to stamp it out.

The ethics of the philosophy are very simple: respect for the body and other people's bodies, eschewing the use of tobacco and alcohol and other obnoxious substances, proper stewardship of the animal kingdom and respect for the natural environment and the use of renewable energy sources.
I also know of a number of outreach groups in America which have conducted workshops on it since the late 1960's to help heal people's feelings of sexual and emotional shame and squalor.

In fact, a young lady I know who was abused by her atheist family as a child has sought both solace and new frienships by becoming involved with it (as well as becoming a Christian). She hasn't looked back since then.

My family and friends haven't been all that supportive. When I told them how it is virtually the norm in European nations and in some parts of America they just said 'Well, go over there if you want that. Why does Australia need it?'

I have found that in countries where it is the norm, the rate of teenage pregnancies is lower than that of the Anglicised countries, as well as rape and other sexual dysfunctions being almost non-existent.

They recently had a Christian Naturist Convocation in America, partially organised by a Quaker minister which attracted about 70 people from all over the country and everyone had a lot of positive stuff to say about it.

What does everyone else reckon?

Crashedman

Racheal

Peace, Love and Understanding.
Jul 30, 2004
✟15,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Crashedman
This sounds like a lovely way to live:

"respect for the body and other people's bodies, eschewing the use of tobacco and alcohol and other obnoxious substances, proper stewardship of the animal kingdom and respect for the natural environment and the use of renewable energy sources. "

How did you get involved in this group/mentality?

Upvote 0
C

crashedman

LivingWorship said:
Bev I kinda agree with you but aren't naturists meant to run around in the nude? I don't know much about it Crash so you might need to clear it up for me bro!

Hi LW,

Running around is rather an understatement. Naturists believe that clothes serve only two practical purposes: to keep one warm in inclement weather conditions and for protection.

They do not see them as having any moral value regardless of what one's race, age or gender is. In fact, most find modern fashion to be a waste of time and money as well as swimsuits (tan lines are hideous!)

Naturism has a long and varied cultural history and is practised by people from all walks of life and different faiths. As an organised movement in the Western world, it was started by a Lutheran pastor in Germany in 1903 who emphasised the health issues such as the importance of exercise, exposure of the body to sunlight, and sporting/artistic activities.

To this day, there is an European family organisation called the FKK which holds to these priciples, and they are also interfaith in their spiritual outlook.

There are some Bible passages which show that God does not criminalise simple nakedness:

2 Chronicles 28.15: (although I believe in being dressed for physical protection only)

1 Samuel 19.24

2 Kings 2.13-14:

Isaiah 20.1-6:

Mark 14.51-52

Roman 12.1: (although not widely practised by many naturists, this is what true naturist living principles adhere to - and I think Christians need to be vigilant about meat consumption due to the human metabolism not being designed to ingest it, but that is for another discussion)

1 Corinthians 6.19:

1 Thessalonians 5.22,23: (this only applies to people who have the idea that public nakedness = sexual perversion)

The most important commandment that God gave to us is:

Rom 15:2 NIV Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.

I haven't found too many Christians taking this attitude towards naturists, sorry to say.

There are a few web pages which deal with this way of life more in-depth:

http://www.cheef.com
http://www.naturist-christians.org
http://www.figleafforum.com
http://www.naturalchristians.com
http://www.geocities.com/boydallen
http://www.savouredfaith.co.uk
http://www.rejectshame.com

For the ladies, there are some female perspectives on this at:

http://www.geocities.com/sunnydaynew
http://www.cheef.com/melissastarr
http://www.freebodyzone.com

Crashedman

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

crashedman

Racheal said:
Crashedman...

Are you married?
I have just gone through all the links u provided us to read. Its very interesting... how did you become involved in this way of life/mentality?
Do you attend a Christian nudist camp?

Hello Rachael,

(smiles ruefully) No, I'm not married. I'm a pretty shy, taciturn person with a very twisted sense of humour that one occasion had me threatened to be reported to the police.

I got into this way of life through a guy I was friends with at the time, who had been to clubs in Melbourne in his youth.

There are no Christian nudist camps where I live. The few that exist don't cater for children or young adults, and there are two places that I've visited where the owners had no manners at all. They certainly didn't make me feel welcome.

Crashedman

Upvote 0
C

crashedman

Racheal said:
Crashedman...

I guess what i really want to know is what you believe on the issue of sex. Do naturist believe that sex is only between husband and wife (one man, one woman, for life)?

Hi,

There are some naturists who are conservative Christians and exercise such doctrines, whereas there is another breed who hold that man is not exclusiveluy heterosexual or monogamous.

Looking at the human race objectively, by nature we are *not* monogamous creatures despite what the traditional churches might enforce. I'm definitely not the only Christian who feels this way.

The rising divorce rate amongst Christians together with the fact that there are Christians who have committed adultery, as well as men like Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart who are known to have had adulterous affairs and solicited prostitutes should be enough evidence that another approach needs to be taken.

As romantic and idealistic as the one man/one woman for life sounds, you cannot legislate love or morality, and this is where the churches have failed.

Using scriptures to push sexual repression, not only ignores the koine Greek and the culture to whom it was addressed but is *CONTRARY TO THE EXPLICIT TEACHING OF CHRIST*. If Jesus presented his views of scriptural exegesis, many Christians would reject him over bible legalism.

Crashedman

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Icystwolf

Jul 5, 2003
Sydney
✟2,596.00
Faith
Calvinist
Love is the grace that the Father gave us.

It's said, the law was there to show our sinful-ness, hence as sin increase so did grace as we were forgiven.

This is love, that God send his son Jesus to die on the cross for our sins, innocent and undeserved.

The sacrifice of Jesus once and for all, is all about love.

Don't know what you're on about

Upvote 0

Buskanaka

Hold me in your arms, never let me run away
Oct 8, 2003
Bathurst
Visit site
✟16,878.00
Faith
Christian
crashedman said:
As romantic and idealistic as the one man/one woman for life sounds, you cannot legislate love or morality, and this is where the churches have failed.
well it's true that you can't legislate morality, but shouldn't our morals come from God? I don't believe that the Bible advocates anything other than a lifelong monogamous relationship between a man and a woman, and just because people have a desire for other relationships and struggle to maintain the lifelong marriage doesn't make it wrong or mean that it is sexual repression. I think those things are a result of our sinful nature and rebellion against God. As a Christian we should be trying to walk in a way pleasing to God, and I know personally that it's hard! However that doesn't mean we should give in to worldy desires and ignore what God's will for us is.
crashedman said:
Using scriptures to push sexual repression, not only ignores the koine Greek and the culture to whom it was addressed but is *CONTRARY TO THE EXPLICIT TEACHING OF CHRIST*. If Jesus presented his views of scriptural exegesis, many Christians would reject him over bible legalism.

Crashedman
could you explain, with references how a lifelong monogamous relationship between a man and a woman is contrary to the teaching of Christ?

Upvote 0