✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
Josephus said:
7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig-leaves together, and made themselves girdles.

The passage says their eyes were opened. This opening of their eyes (were they closed before?) allowed them to know what previously was unknown. Yet we know that prior to this they could see, since Eve "saw the fruit" and it was "pleasing to the eye". Thus this opening of their eyes must be more than just physically being open.

Concerning that you believe clothing wasn't invented yet, I think this is an assumption on your part. As I discussed above, the difference in the Hebrew word for naked before the fall and after the fall, is a matter of one missing letter vav. Obviously what constituted their nakedness before the fall, is now missing after the fall. This missing object is then inferred as the reason they were able to know they were naked with their eyes being opened to see such.

I made the analogy, that if they were created as bright and shiny beings like we know Jesus was at the transfiguration, where their own flesh glowed a brilliant blinding light, then, just like turning off a light bulb, the features and print on the light bulb glass makes it possible to see the print and read it with understanding, whereas before when the light was on those features were drowned out in the light making it impossible to see the features.

So too I believe this is what Adam and Eve looked like before they fell, and after they fell they lost this glow, and they were able to finally know they were naked by simply looking at each other with eyes that weren't so blinded by their now extinguished light.

Amazing that there are no signs of a bioluminescent past in our DNA, skin, etc. But hey, if you want to believe that a man made from dirt named Dirt and a woman made from his rib also glowed in the dark... rock on chief. I can't buy that anymore than I can buy we're riding on the back of a giant turtle, but as they say, whatever floats your universe.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Admin Hat

Lets cease the goading incredulity please and stay on topic by focusing on scriptural arguments from a Christian perspective. This thread assumes that the Genesis account its true.

Close Admin Hat

Thank You for your edification of sound discussion.

Upvote 0

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
My first quote is in unbolded text.
Your response to that first quote is in bolded text.
My response to your response is in bolded purple text.

So to make this clear, you hold to a belief that "they knew that they were naked" based on the verse:

Gen 2:25
And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

Even though scripture doesn't record that "they knew that they were naked" until:

Gen 3:7
And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig-leaves together, and made themselves girdles.
?

Different themes. Genesis 1 gives us an account of the ordering of creation. Genesis 3 post Fall is about humanity's awareness of the consequences of their disobedience. One account is objective, what God has done, the other is personal, a new self awareness of consequence (and each other).

Yet Genesis 2 and Genesis 3, of which my example is limited to, is one linear chronological story, where before the fall they are not ashamed and then only after the fall they know they are naked. Clearly you are still inserting their knowledge of nakedness prior to the fall, which I point out that the text does not do.

How is it that you can insert what is said in Gen 3:7 into Gen 2:25? If they knew they were naked in 2:25, would it not have been more appropriate for the Torah to state in 2:25 the following:

Gen 2:25 (Johnnz Inspired Version)
And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and they knew that they were naked, and were not ashamed.

and instead have simply said in

Gen 3:7
And the eyes of them both were opened; and they sewed fig-leaves together, and made themselves girdles.

I am not going to second guess the author. My above explanation provides me with a credible understanding of the narrative.

You might well add in Gen 1 God created male and female on the 6th day. In Genesis 2 man was created first and only after naming the creatures. How long that took we are not told, but some time much longer than a day would be needed to do such a huge task. So, here we have different perspectives in the creation story, yet nothing more specific is stated about why that was so.

I am not sure I follow if you're saying there's a contradiction between Gen 1 and Gen 2, but that would be a discussion for another thread.

John, friend -

Gen 2:25 only states two facts, not a third:

1. And they were both naked, the man and his wife,
2. and were not ashamed.

The mere fact that "they were not ashamed" does not imply that they knew that they were naked. If so, it could as easily imply that their eyes were closed (since at least scripture later says they were opened, implying they were closed).

That is just betting a bit silly. Sorry but that's true. Firstly shame comes from knowing. There is no point is both statements unless the second clause refers to the first one.

You agree "shame comes from knowing." Precisely. Thus when they were "not ashamed" indicates that they did not "know" their nakedness.

Secondly shame for the biblical world was about dishonour before another, not the red faced embarrassment about our bodies we mean by that word. They had betrayed God and were now subject to His scrutiny. That is why they were afraid and ashamed, not because the God who had carefully sculpted each body was now upset at a man and woman with their genitals exposed.

Shame comes from doing wrong, that is correct. The nakedness that they had was able to be "known" after they sinned. Therefore nakedness that is exposed to others was a consequence of their sin, remaining so exposed would be a new wrong, which is why they were compelled to cover themselves up with fig leaves. Therefore to have one's nakedness exposed within view of another is derived to be wrong from their response. Everything in the Torah is instructive. Had they remained exposed when G-d confronted them, he would have addressed their exposed nakedness as yet another sin to be taken into consideration as part of his judgement. As such, during G-d's confrontation with them, since the Torah does not say they uncovered themselves or were dressed in something new, we can only conclude that they were still covered in their fig leaf garments and thus avoided having that issue being brought up by G-d. Only later does G-d dress them in skin garments he made for them. It is also interesting to note that a husband's duty to his wife in Lev is "food, clothing, and marital relations" and here in Gen 3 G-d makes provision for their clothing. Thus if G-d dresses you, does one not have the obligation to wear?

The reason for why they were not ashamed is not given.

See above

Your above comment doesn't posit a scriptural verse that explains why they were not ashamed.

You assume something that scripture does not state, but it's not just any assumption - it's an assumption of "and they knew that they were naked" as a statement of reality taking place before scripture even says it took place. You are assuming something that scripture does not say has yet taken place, but it does say it takes place later in Gen 3:7. Instead, to get around this anachronistic assumption, you are forced to impose a non-literal understanding of "and they knew that they were naked" when Gen 3:7 mentions this.

In other words, you hold an assumption that is unprovable from the literal text, as cause to remove the literal understanding of a text that comes later. That's called adding to scripture, and subtracting from scripture.

No more so than you are arguing from silence in that you assume that because we were not explicitly told they were naked they were unaware of that fact.

The fact that scripture tells us when they knew they were naked, is not an argument from silence. It's an argument that scripture is literally making, else it wouldn't state the phrase in Gen 3:7! To assume they knew they were naked before the text says so, is to go beyond the text, something that I am not doing.

The light theory does not hold with me either. There is no unequivocal biblical statement for that, or that such a light would conceal. I am sure that when Moses' face glowed the people could still recognise his facial features. They did not see a a faceless body with a glowing orb atop it.

Radiant bodies of the saints is found in other scriptural passages, but for purposes of understanding the logic of Torah, it's not immediately apparent that their bodies radiated light from the text itself (although I don't discount the possibility if one is able to examine the logic deep enough), however there is clear textual evidence that the nakedness they had before the fall was missing something after the fall. Aka there is clear textual evidence in the missing letter vav that what their physical bodies had before the fall, was missing something after the fall. Logically speaking, whatever it was that was lost, it was something that permitted their eyes to see and as a result know they were naked.

Instead I've laid out the assumption their eyes were closed, because scripture later says they were opened; and I've laid out the assumption they were literally unknowing of their nakedness since scripture later says they knew they were naked.

Which position is more scriptural? Yours or mine?

Get a concordance and look up 'opened eyes' to see how that phrase is used elsewhere in Scripture (Scripture interprets scripture were your words which I agree with completely)

I don't need a concordance to understand that this phrase alone in our discussion is not meant to be taken literally. The text is clear in the narrative itself: Eve was able to "see" the fruit and even determine it was "pleasing to the eye" thus when the Torah goes on to say "their eyes were opened" it can not logically imply that they were closed up to this point. Else how could Eve "see" as it is written she "saw the fruit?" Thus she saw with her physical eyes, as fruit being pleasing to those eyes, and later when her "eyes were opened" (also now including Adam in "they") the phrase can only refer to an end to blindness that she had previously (since one whose eyes are closed can not see and are thus blind), and specifically the text goes on to describe that particular blindness as directly related to her lack of knowledge of their nakedness. A knowledge made available because the blindness was no longer there.

Your position is totally built on assumptions not specifically stated anywhere in the text. At least my position derives from scripture, is proven by scripture, and is sustained by scripture.

No agreement here.

They literally did not know they were naked until Gen 3:7, and you have no scripture to prove otherwise. If you say Gen 2:25 then you must admit that in Gen 2:25, the reason for why they were not ashamed is not given. Do you at least agree with that fact?

Why would it be there such a reason given in 2:25? We know from ch 1 that the creation of humanity attracted a 'very good' appellation. If all was either 'good' and each other 'very good' there is no reason in the entire cosmos for any shame! So nothing said. But you have to argue there undeniably was no awareness of their nakedness with no clear biblical mandate for doing that.

Nothing is valid until proven true. When reading the bible you must approach it on its terms, not outside terms. Thus there is no light until there is "let there be light," thus there is no man until there is "let us make man," and thus there is no knowledge of nakedness until there is "they knew they were naked". Anything else is eisegesis, which your doctrine seems to heavily rely on.

If so, can you then agree that what is given as reason for their wanting to sew fig leaves in Gen 3:7 is because in Gen 3:7 "they knew that they were naked?"

That is what is written. My stance is about what that signified as the prologue for the entire biblical story which I have outlined in previous posts.

I am glad you acknowledge that chronology plays a big role in understanding the logic the Torah is teaching here concerning nakedness - namely that one who is naked should want to cover up, just like the man and his wife felt that they should too.

Regards

John
NZ

<><
Josephus

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
Amazing that there are no signs of a bioluminescent past in our DNA, skin, etc. But hey, if you want to believe that a man made from dirt named Dirt and a woman made from his rib also glowed in the dark... rock on chief. I can't buy that anymore than I can buy we're riding on the back of a giant turtle, but as they say, whatever floats your universe.

I won't argue if there no longer remains DNA evidence of some ability to radiate a kind of spiritual light. Who knows though? Anthropormophising a bit here: a light bulb unplugged from a socket may think it's only a bulb and not a light bulb. Or even a light bulb created with a broken filament may think its broken filament is meant to simply resonate a funny sound, and thus have no concept that its a light bulb too. Back to reality: who's to say there is absolutely no evidence in our DNA for some sort of fleshly luminescence that would be turned on when given the right circumstances? But again, the bible doesn't argue that there would be any evidence remaining in our DNA either, so this rabbit trail is at a comfortable end.

Thank You for your edification of sound discussion.

I try. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I do not know. I haven't examined the passage yet, however I would be surprised if his genitals were uncovered. I know what is prohibited in Judaism based on the Torah, so to assume Peter was completely uncovered, seems out of place if he practiced Judaism.

In response to another post you wrote "The thing I'm trying to point out to you John, is that you are rejecting the plain meaning of the scripture concerning what it means to be naked in these passages..."

So, when John tells us that "when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked) and did cast himself into the sea," why do you not accept the plain meaning of the words? The verse clearly says that Peter was naked.

A little something on how fish were retrieved from nets by fishermen at that times: "The first way was that the fisherman would dive to the bottom and retrieve the fish individually placing them in to a pouch. The other method for retrieving the captured fish was to dive down and gather the foot-rope and bring up the catch all at once. It was common for the fisherman who was doing the diving to be naked as swimming suits were not on the market yet."

For more please see THE WIKI BIBLE PROJECT / Fishing in the Bible and the Ancient Near East.

Upvote 0

toramei

Jun 27, 2011
Michigan
✟17,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Naked and unashamed until they disobeyed.Then Adam and Eve tried to cover their sin by hiding.So if GOD made us in his image why are we hiding.GOD asked Adam " Who told you that you were naked ? "
Those that were present are GOD, Adam and Eve oh then there was the serpent.
GOD didn't say they were naked. Then that leaves the serpent.
GOD made nudity and free will. What we decided to do with it was our choice not GOD.
So man decided to hide and cover their disobedience.
So GOD in his great love and mercy gave us another chance when JESUS died on the cross for our sins and took away our shame and guilt.We have a clean slate why then are we hiding the slate again ?

Upvote 0

Type53

Oct 14, 2014
✟7,634.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
The naked body is sexual because naked bodies have sex. It's not about a societal construct dictating our feelings. It's about biology, having appropriate boundaries, and maintaining a healthy view of sexuality, and general appropriate conduct in society.
Thank you for injecting common sense into a thread woefully lacking in it. I almost can't believe the tortured rationales I see here. The freedom I have in Christ doesn't need to be 'embellished' by being nude with others. Really -- what rot.

Upvote 0

toramei

Jun 27, 2011
Michigan
✟17,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Common sense woefully lacking !
Adam and Eve according to medieval lady the naked body is sexual so GOD created them and saw that it was good.
So then a clothed body is not sexual because it is not naked?
It is only sexual if it is naked.
Then when a baby is born it is sexual ?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The freedom I have in Christ doesn't need to be 'embellished' by being nude with others. Really -- what rot.

Then by all means do not go nude in public.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you for injecting common sense into a thread woefully lacking in it. I almost can't believe the tortured rationales I see here. The freedom I have in Christ doesn't need to be 'embellished' by being nude with others. Really -- what rot.

To the contrary some arguments against any non spousal nudity could attract the same assessment.

And might not a person's freedom in Christ allow them to be naked with other like minded people in suitable settings without being tared and feathered?

John
NZ

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.