South Carolina
✟449,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump feels inevitable, but nothing is settled until Republicans actually caucus and vote. They would be well advised to opt for one of the alternatives who are far and away better on the merits, more likely to win in November, and, if elected, more likely to deliver — free from the wild drama of a second Trump term — conservative results.

They’re right, of course.

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
The National Review used to be a fairly consistent conservative group ….
But over the last 10 years … it has been on a steady decline towards appeasement. No backbone anymore …they have lost their relevancy.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Green Sun

404: Star not found
Jun 26, 2015
Somewhere
✟45,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
They're right that there's other options. The issue is, it's irrelevant.

The (increasingly few) cooler heads in the Republican Party leadership know that Trump hurts their chances with the majority of voters. The problem is, when the entire host of Republican politicians basically declared full loyalty to him, defending him even after his attempted insurrection, they've completely handed the reins of the Republican voter base over to Trump and his base.

Even now during the Republican Primary debates, the candidates that haven't already dropped out are defending the person they're running against as the greatest president ever who they 100% support. Which is weird, considering the entire point of running presidential candidate is that they think they're a better fit than the guy they're running against. Which they keep having to undermine because if they turn against Trump, the base will eat them alive.

It's the Party of Trump now, and it appears that it will stay that way until Republican voters finally change their tune.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But over the last 10 years … it has been on a steady decline towards appeasement. No backbone anymore …they have lost their relevancy.
By that do you mean they think there are better conservative options than Trump? Or something else as the appeasement I have been seeing has been former solid conservative towards Trump.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you trying to equate the 45th with “conservative“, (as close as he is, is right-wing populist).

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The National Review remains conservative. It’s Trump’s camp followers that have swing too far right.

Conservative and “far-right” are not synonymous.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When a man unprincipled in private life desperate in his fortune, bold in his temper, possessed of considerable talents, having the advantage of military habits—despotic in his ordinary demeanour—known to have scoffed in private at the principles of liberty—when such a man is seen to mount the hobby horse of popularity—to join in the cry of danger to liberty—to take every opportunity of embarrassing the General Government & bringing it under suspicion—to flatter and fall in with all the non sense of the zealots of the day—It may justly be suspected that his object is to throw things into confusion that he may “ride the storm and direct the whirlwind.”
-Alexander Hamilton

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with National Review here, though I should note that National Review has never liked Trump much.
In hindsight they were wise and perceptive. The GOP should have been as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟692,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They’re right, of course.

Here's what I see, as an actual conservative (not establishment Republican)

First thing, the very first thing I see here, is that anyone who considers themselves "above" others such that they believe it's not just their right, but somehow their responsibility, to TELL those they deem in need of their guidance who we should or should not vote for, is not someone who's 'opinion' (as it is an opinion only) will be listened to.

I personally shut completely off followed by walking away without listening, when the language manages to devolve into "tell"ing me what to do, think, or vote for.

I'm quite certain I'm not alone.

Most actual conservatives are quite happy to discuss our thoughts on these issues and even clearly explain why we, by and large in a general sense, stand behind the various policies and issues at hand, but we absolutely draw the line at being told what to do by a bunch of snobs completely out of touch with reality.

God bless.

Edit to Add:

I personally think Ramaswamy is the best candidate - this is my personal OPINION only.

I agree that Trump is a minefield - however this is due to the unconstitutional actions of the "uniparty"

And I have lately been weighing my primary vote and debating with myself on what to do.

What I am personally most afraid of is to split the vote such that there would be room for the establishment candidate to win the primary.

That and that alone may give a primary vote to Trump instead of Ramaswamy. Conservatives like myself trust Trump because he followed through on policy promises and was a good president despite all opposition - and perhaps since the group of similar thinking conservatives want to vote Trump again then maybe I will too ..

Just so the likes of Haley won't see the oval office. We simply cannot afford to split the vote too much.

But I would love to see Ramaswamy in office someday... I pray he continues on, regardless of how this election season turns out.

^^^ this above begins a lovely discussion - it doesn't tell people what to do.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Here's what I see, as an actual conservative (not establishment Republican)

First thing, the very first thing I see here, is that anyone who considers themselves "above" others such that they believe it's not just their right, but somehow their responsibility, to TELL those they deem in need of their guidance who we should or should not vote for, is not someone who's 'opinion' (as it is an opinion only) will be listened to.

I personally shut completely off followed by walking away without listening, when the language manages to devolve into "tell"ing me what to do, think, or vote for.

I'm quite certain I'm not alone.

Most actual conservatives are quite happy to discuss our thoughts on these issues and even clearly explain why we, by and large in a general sense, stand behind the various policies and issues at hand, but we absolutely draw the line at being told what to do by a bunch of snobs completely out of touch with reality.

God bless.

Edit to Add:

I personally think Ramaswamy is the best candidate - this is my personal OPINION only.

I agree that Trump is a minefield - however this is due to the unconstitutional actions of the "uniparty"

And I have lately been weighing my primary vote and debating with myself on what to do.

What I am personally most afraid of is to split the vote such that there would be room for the establishment candidate to win the primary.

That and that alone may give a primary vote to Trump instead of Ramaswamy. Conservatives like myself trust Trump because he followed through on policy promises and was a good president despite all opposition - and perhaps since the group of similar thinking conservatives want to vote Trump again then maybe I will too ..

Just so the likes of Haley won't see the oval office. We simply cannot afford to split the vote too much.

But I would love to see Ramaswamy in office someday... I pray he continues on, regardless of how this election season turns out.

^^^ this above begins a lovely discussion - it doesn't tell people what to do.
What sane individual (i.e. not blinded by pathological ambition) is going to want to go up against the Trump political juggernaut?

Politics used to “belong” to the horse-racing crowd; it still does, (but in the paddocks, not the grandstands).
This is supposed to be “good”, for some raisin.

Upvote 0