Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

The person who wrote this is entitled to his/her interpretation of Scripture. However, he/she is going way beyond what scripture tells us.

Do you honestly believe that women "should dress in plain, full length, long sleeved, buttoned at the neck dresses of a solid and sober color and of a cut that is not form fitting. Their dresses should all be of the same cut and color so that they will not be found in captivity to that worldly spirit that craves changeableness in apparel." I certainly don't buy that, and scripture does not say that. Do your female friends and relatives dress that way?

Last edited:
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Na Nach Oi!

Embracing paradoxical thinking
Dec 4, 2016
Earth
✟55,404.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
This Sunday is National Go Topless Day, an annual event held to support the right of women to go topless in public on gender-equality grounds.

Any reason why Christian women should not participate?

Christian radical feminists would join them for sure.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I could do with a little less exposing of body parts. I find it unsanitary and unhygienic. In high school and college, the girls would wear short shorts, and there was no air conditioning in some buildings, so the chairs would be slick with sweat. I'd wear longer shorts to avoid sitting in it. Who wants to sit in someone else's sweat puddle? To me, the same goes for exposed upper bodies. Just, ew. lol Just my two cents, I'm trying to pass the time here.
In spite of my jumping in (for what reason I don't know) to tease Sam just a bit, I agree with you in principle.

I'm currently going for physical therapy for my knee, and they want me to wear shorts. I tried going there and changing, but I have to change in a bathroom and it's rather unsanitary, as my clothes will touch the floor in the process.

The last two times I just wore shorts, but I feel exposed walking in and out of the hospital that way, and I don't want to stop anywhere else.

I've also learned how fabric deteriorates over time and not being worn. I've had to throw away two pairs of shorts already that I didn't realize had come to such a condition.

I sometimes wear them around the house when cleaning, but those are my stretchy ones. The longer cotton ones I used to wear in public haven't seen use in years, apparently.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Elaborate.

Sorry I was joking a bit with you.

The article you posted said:

a Christian woman can wear only a sober color such as gray or black and that her dress must be full length and not form revealing, with full length sleeves and buttoned at the neck

and so I replied

Then how could you tell which ones were nuns? ;)

If all women are wearing grey or black sacks, buttoned at the neck, and covering them to the floor ....

Well, I could have made a joke about a hijab as well, but I chose a nun's habit.

I certainly believe in modest dress, but that description goes a bit far.

And when you start thinking (was it the other article?) that all women must wear the same color in order for there to be no competition ....

Well, I just think it's better to work on one's heart than to try to control it by making everyone else wear the same drab gray as yourself, so that you don't get jealous.

Know what I mean?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sorry I was joking a bit with you.

The article you posted said:

a Christian woman can wear only a sober color such as gray or black and that her dress must be full length and not form revealing, with full length sleeves and buttoned at the neck

and so I replied

If all women are wearing grey or black sacks, buttoned at the neck, and covering them to the floor ....

Well, I could have made a joke about a hijab as well, but I chose a nun's habit.

I certainly believe in modest dress, but that description goes a bit far.

And when you start thinking (was it the other article?) that all women must wear the same color in order for there to be no competition ....

Well, I just think it's better to work on one's heart than to try to control it by making everyone else wear the same drab gray as yourself, so that you don't get jealous.

Know what I mean?

How did it go too far? It went beyond modesty?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How did it go too far? It went beyond modesty?

Well, IMO, modesty does not require buttons to the neck, long sleeves, floor length, shapeless, and only grey or black. That is pretty much nearly the definition of a hijab. I did find one photo that fit all those requirements though.

IMG_0093.JPG

I don't think it's necessary for all women to dress this way in order to be considered "modestly dressed".

These photos below all break several or most of those "rules" ... so if that is the standard, these are all the opposite of modest?

No buttons to the neck, no long sleeves, not floor length, colorful.

61817_mdl

No buttons to the neck, no long sleeves, not shapeless, colorful.

IMG_0088.JPG

No buttons to the neck, no long sleeves, not shapeless, not gray/black.

IMG_0090.JPG

I hope you get the idea. I think the full list of requirements goes too far, yes, if anything that doesn't include all of those requirements is to be considered "immodest".

Attachments

• IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This Sunday is National Go Topless Day, an annual event held to support the right of women to go topless in public on gender-equality grounds.

Any reason why Christian women should not participate?

Temperature.

Upvote 0

SgtBen

To Serve and Protect
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
Western NC, USA
✟53,005.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, IMO, modesty does not require buttons to the neck, long sleeves, floor length, shapeless, and only grey or black. That is pretty much nearly the definition of a hijab. I did find one photo that fit all those requirements though.

View attachment 190567

I don't think it's necessary for all women to dress this way in order to be considered "modestly dressed".

These photos below all break several or most of those "rules" ... so if that is the standard, these are all the opposite of modest?

No buttons to the neck, no long sleeves, not floor length, colorful.

61817_mdl

No buttons to the neck, no long sleeves, not shapeless, colorful.

View attachment 190565

No buttons to the neck, no long sleeves, not shapeless, not gray/black.

View attachment 190566

I hope you get the idea. I think the full list of requirements goes too far, yes, if anything that doesn't include all of those requirements is to be considered "immodest".

Those last two are pretty much what my wife wears. I think she looks wonderful.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

My gf also wears outfits similar to those depicted in the earlier post from time to time. Of course she wears much less than that when we visit a topless or nude beach.

Last edited:
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

SgtBen

To Serve and Protect
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
Western NC, USA
✟53,005.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In spite of my jumping in (for what reason I don't know) to tease Sam just a bit, I agree with you in principle.

I'm currently going for physical therapy for my knee, and they want me to wear shorts. I tried going there and changing, but I have to change in a bathroom and it's rather unsanitary, as my clothes will touch the floor in the process.

The last two times I just wore shorts, but I feel exposed walking in and out of the hospital that way, and I don't want to stop anywhere else.

I've also learned how fabric deteriorates over time and not being worn. I've had to throw away two pairs of shorts already that I didn't realize had come to such a condition.

I sometimes wear them around the house when cleaning, but those are my stretchy ones. The longer cotton ones I used to wear in public haven't seen use in years, apparently.

Could you wear a loose skirt instead and pull it up above your knee just for therapy?

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Could you wear a loose skirt instead and pull it up above your knee just for therapy?
Thanks, but no. I have to do exercises on a table. I wear loose skirts often, but it wouldn't work for therapy.

I'm almost done with covered visits anyway. I think I have a few more. And I was doing well until they added some new exercises, so I'm in pain again, lol. Still not up to the goal weight either. But they've taught me what to do and how to do it, so maybe I can continue progressing on my own. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I like those too.

I'm going to have to start refiguring my wardrobe soon anyway, or parts of it, to accomodate medical stuff.

My sewing machine will probably be getting some use. :)

Reactions: SgtBen
Upvote 0

SgtBen

To Serve and Protect
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
Western NC, USA
✟53,005.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks, but no. I have to do exercises on a table. I wear loose skirts often, but it wouldn't work for therapy.

I'm almost done with covered visits anyway. I think I have a few more. And I was doing well until they added some new exercises, so I'm in pain again, lol. Still not up to the goal weight either. But they've taught me what to do and how to do it, so maybe I can continue progressing on my own. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I'm sorry, I didn't get that. God bless you, I'll pray for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, I didn't get that. God bless you, I'll pray for you.
Thank you, prayer always appreciated. But honestly, the knee is not that big a deal. :) (Most days, lol)

(More surgery for possibly more cancer I would MUCH appreciate prayer though. :) )

And I hope your wife is feeling better!

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

SgtBen

To Serve and Protect
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
Western NC, USA
✟53,005.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you, prayer always appreciated. But honestly, the knee is not that big a deal. :) (Most days, lol)

(More surgery for possibly more cancer I would MUCH appreciate prayer though. :) )

And I hope your wife is feeling better!

Oh wait wait, you need help for cancer? I am so sorry I missed that. Yes ma'am I am praying as soon as I quit typing. You have it.

Em will be fine, what matters is you and may God bless you and put His healing hands upon you.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh wait wait, you need help for cancer? I am so sorry I missed that. Yes ma'am I am praying as soon as I quit typing. You have it.

Em will be fine, what matters is you and may God bless you and put His healing hands upon you.

Nope, you didn't miss it. I've mostly only mentioned it in TAW. And God has been good to me. But yes, your prayers are much appreciated too. :)

And please keep us updated on Emma. I get behind on reading though. I'm glad she is ok. :)

God be with you both. :)

Upvote 0