bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She's always regarded me as the smartest person she knows (she thinks intelligence is sexy) so that along with the fact that I am her husband I think it seemed like a good idea to come to me with her questions. I can't go into great detail about what I told her, that would take the topic into apologetics. It did take a good amount of time, over 2 years I'd say, but some of her questions were generalistic. "WHat about the soul and the afterlife if god doesn't exist?". "HOw did you (me, the OP) become atheist?" "Why would someone lie about something they claim to believe in?" "Why does god punish people for eternity?" "Why is there evil in the world?"

I'd like to point out its not like I said some magic words and she turned atheist. I helped her see things from my perspective, helped her deal with some new feelings, and taught her to think critically and keep an open mind. I told her before she settles on any particular belief she should be sure of the reasons why she believes it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems it would have been better for her to ask someone who knows God, about God, rather than someone who doesn't know him.

Perhaps a second opinion is in order.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That is why we are not not to unequally yoke ourselves with non believers. That said if she were my child, and I did what I was supposed to raising her then she is free to go with what ever I owed her and "sleep with the pigs" (it a parable, nothing against you specifically) if that is where her life decisions takes her, and i would wait and welcome her return. That is the Biblical view. The Catholic view will probably be alot different. It really depends on How Catholic.

So, in your eyes is it ok now that we are "equally yoked"? I've seen a lot of advice on CF to singles who were dating unbelievers telling them to pray and share the gospel with the goal of turning the unbeliever to a Christian. I'm guessing that no one who would advise that is a hypocrite and the important thing is that the couple share similar beliefs regardless of what those beliefs are. THat said, I think its great to see you would accept the situation as a father. I think keeping a relationship with your children is far more important than insisting they believe as you do.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems it would have been better for her to ask someone who knows God, about God, rather than someone who doesn't know him.

Perhaps a second opinion is in order.

I can understand how you might think that, but I actually did my best to present the facts in an unbiased way. THe problem with asking someone who "knows god" as you put it is that they are seldom looking at the issues with an open mind. They have already decided the answers in favor of god so its not exactly the most reliable source of info. With the exception of those questions that pertained directly to my opinion and belief, I kept the information to a strictly factual nature.

If, for example, she asked where the universe came from...I would tell her about the big bang, its evidence supporting it, I'd then do my best to describe the multitude of scientific theories that guess what happened prior to the big bang, then I would present the Christian "god did it" story along with the creation stories of several other world religions for comparison. I never would tell her what to believe, I merely strove to get her to think critically when deciding.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, in your eyes is it ok now that we are "equally yoked"?
In my eyes I do not care what you do, but if your asking what does the bible say. It says do not divorce your partner because he/she is an unbeliever. Nor if your unequally yoked.

I've seen a lot of advice on CF to singles who were dating unbelievers telling them to pray and share the gospel with the goal of turning the unbeliever to a Christian.
People rarely change unless they have it on there heart to do so. By the time someone makes it to marriage, especially in the US they have been bombarded with Christianity in one form or another all of their lives. of which most of them have already made up their minds/hearts. It is only those who are unsure who have a chance of being prayed for and converted. Proud die hard Atheist conversions are the exception and not the rule.

I'm guessing that no one who would advise that is a hypocrite and the important thing is that the couple share similar beliefs regardless of what those beliefs are.
That is kinda apart of the verse about being unequally yoked (if you want to see it ask)

That said, I think its great to see you would accept the situation as a father. I think keeping a relationship with your children is far more important than insisting they believe as you do.
In the story of the prodigal son (sleeping with the pigs) the son tells the father he is dead to him and demands his inheritance. which in that culture at that time is the GREATEST insult a son can give a father. When the Father gave the son his money this meant he was dead to him. So he let the son leave. Where the son/daughter (in this version) does all manner of sinful things, until the money runs out, and he has to sleep with the pigs to stay warm (lowest of the low back then) Why? Because the father cut all ties, until the son decided to return home and asked for forgiveness. When He went Home, The son was welcomed and was given back his status.

Even if she was my daughter i would not be the Father in this story. My feelings on the matter mean nothing to that of her true Father. When she is ready to return Home, with or without you tell her, That Her Father will be waiting, no matter how she "spent what was given her."

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In my eyes I do not care what you do, but if your asking what does the bible say. It says do not divorce your partner because he/she is an unbeliever. Nor if your unequally yoked.

People rarely change unless they have it on there heart to do so. By the time someone makes it to marriage, especially in the US they have been bombarded with Christianity in one form or another all of their lives. of which most of them have already made up their minds/hearts. It is only those who are unsure who have a chance of being prayed for and converted. Proud die hard Atheist conversions are the exception and not the rule.

That is kinda apart of the verse about being unequally yoked (if you want to see it ask)

I'll admit it seems as if I misunderstood the "unequally yoked" expression. I thought it simply referred to a difference of opinion on beliefs.

In the story of the prodigal son (sleeping with the pigs) the son tells the father he is dead to him and demands his inheritance. which in that culture at that time is the GREATEST insult a son can give a father. When the Father gave the son his money this meant he was dead to him. So he let the son leave. Where the son/daughter (in this version) does all manner of sinful things, until the money runs out, and he has to sleep with the pigs to stay warm (lowest of the low back then) Why? Because the father cut all ties, until the son decided to return home and asked for forgiveness. When He went Home, The son was welcomed and was given back his status.

Even if she was my daughter i would not be the Father in this story. My feelings on the matter mean nothing to that of her true Father. When she is ready to return Home, with or without you tell her, That Her Father will be waiting, no matter how she "spent what was given her."

I'm afraid you lost me here? "when she is ready to return home"...she is h
ome! "Spent what was given her?" Not sure what you mean by this, everything she has I've given her...her father can barely take care of himself. He's tried to mooch off me as I'm already far more successful than he ever was.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm afraid you lost me here? "when she is ready to return home"...she is h
ome! "Spent what was given her?" Not sure what you mean by this, everything she has I've given her...her father can barely take care of himself. He's tried to mooch off me as I'm already far more successful than he ever was.

Home Meaning returning to God, her Father. He will be waiting with open arms no matter what she has done.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I gently introduced her to the possibility she was wrong about Jesus, god, hell, etc.
Hi Ana, nice to meet you :wave: What does your wife now believe about Jesus, God and hell? Is Jesus a fictional person, was He deluded? Something else? I think it is good that you have helped her to think critically and of course if she ever did love Jesus then she will not be able to deny Him for long :)

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ana, nice to meet you :wave: What does your wife now believe about Jesus, God and hell? Is Jesus a fictional person, was He deluded? Something else? I think it is good that you have helped her to think critically and of course if she ever did love Jesus then she will not be able to deny Him for long :)

I can't say she loved him, but she certainly believed in him. I'm well aware that many Christians find the two concepts inseparable but I'm not going into a debate over it. She believes Jesus was a real person, not significantly different from any other person. She feels the supernatural claims made about Jesus are false. She doesn't place any importance on asking why the claims made about Jesus are false, it doesn't have much bearing on truth or reality. She believes god and hell don't exist. Hope that answers your question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can't say she loved him, but she certainly believed in him. I'm well aware that many Christians find the two concepts inseparable but I'm not going into a debate over it.
You don't need to debate that with me, I know the difference.
She believes Jesus was a real person, not significantly different from any other person. She feels the supernatural claims made about Jesus are false. She doesn't place any importance on asking why the claims made about Jesus are false, it doesn't have much bearing on truth or reality. She believes god and hell don't exist. Hope that answers your question.
Thank you, yes it does. You have done well to liberate her from believing what is spoon fed, but what do you really think about her new belief? Is it really reasonable to believe that all the people who knew Jesus were lying?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You don't need to debate that with me, I know the difference.

Thank you, yes it does. You have done well to liberate her from believing what is spoon fed, but what do you really think about her new belief? Is it really reasonable to believe that all the people who knew Jesus were lying?

Reasonable compared to what? The idea that a guy went around walking on water? Turning water into wine? Rose from the dead? Are those "reasonable" ideas to you? Or is it more likely that one of many Jewish cults in a turbulent time for Judaism lied about meeting the messiah?

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reasonable compared to what? The idea that a guy went around walking on water? Turning water into wine? Rose from the dead? Are those "reasonable" ideas to you? Or is it more likely that one of many Jewish cults in a turbulent time for Judaism lied about meeting the messiah?
I'm surprised you would think reason needs a comparison! I would compare reason only to truth, and there are certain facts about the testimony of Jesus that are profoundly true. Such a fact is that Jesus taught in synagogues and condemned certain Jewish leaders, and spoke not to free Himself when facing Pontius Pilate, but to testify that He was right to teach in that manner.

Addressing your question, I think it is entirely reasonable to believe that God can do miracles because I have witnessed one which especially cannot be reasonably explained except for the power of God. It is reasonable to say that if you were interested in witnessing miracles that you too would be able to observe them.

So there is more than one gradient of truth to be found in the story of Jesus, and your belief about this basically comes down to whether you stand with Him or against Him. Setting aside the supernatural claims while you are unwilling to entertain them, you can still afford yourself the right to consider His wisdom. So ask yourself, since only the truth is reasonable, was Jesus right to say this:

Matthew 10:34
“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

And was He right to say this:

John 18:37
New International Version (NIV)
37 “You are a king, then!” said Pilate.

Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”

If either of those statements are false then you are justified and I am mistaken. If however these statements are true then I am justified and you are mistaken. What do you think is a reasonable belief compared to that?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm surprised you would think reason needs a comparison! I would compare reason only to truth, and there are certain facts about the testimony of Jesus that are profoundly true. Such a fact is that Jesus taught in synagogues and condemned certain Jewish leaders, and spoke not to free Himself when facing Pontius Pilate, but to testify that He was right to teach in that manner.

Addressing your question, I think it is entirely reasonable to believe that God can do miracles because I have witnessed one which especially cannot be reasonably explained except for the power of God. It is reasonable to say that if you were interested in witnessing miracles that you too would be able to observe them.

So there is more than one gradient of truth to be found in the story of Jesus, and your belief about this basically comes down to whether you stand with Him or against Him. Setting aside the supernatural claims while you are unwilling to entertain them, you can still afford yourself the right to consider His wisdom. So ask yourself, since only the truth is reasonable, was Jesus right to say this:

“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”

If either of those statements are false then you are justified and I am mistaken. If however these statements are true then I am justified and you are mistaken. What do you think is a reasonable belief compared to that?

As for miracles, it would be reasonable to say that whether I believed in them or not, if :bow:they existed in reality, I could witness them. SAdly, I haven't. Not one my whole life of 32 years. Without proof, I can only reason that every claim of truth, by every religious founder, is false. THat includes Jesus. Let me ask you, why do you deny Mohammed's claim of truth? Why do you deny Buddha's claim of truth? Answer that, and you'll understand why I deny Jesus's.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

EVeryone on the side of truth listens to me. I'm going to have to call that false. POssibly, I can even demonstrate it. If I can prove this, would it change your mind?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
New here, you have to accept that she turned be an atheist. She will be the same person as before except for different views on religion. I am the only one in my family who is an atheist. Tough for me, but I kept it on to myself.

I understand you're new and all, I haven't been here long either, but did you even read the original post?

Upvote 0

crispyfry

Mar 30, 2012
✟7,960.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I have been a Christian for almost 30 years. There is a inner struggle within me when it comes to God. What I don't understand why we have so many Gods that we pray to. Humans pray to Jesus, Allah, Buddha and others and it doesn't make sense and if there is one true God that appears to all of us speak "I am the the one true God".

I also read the Bible like in the Genesis when God created man, it's impossible that have evolved from a single pair. The Great Flood, I think there is no evidence to prove that it happened.

Anyways, I'm out of topic though.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As for miracles, it would be reasonable to say that whether I believed in them or not, if they existed in reality, I could witness them. SAdly, I haven't. Not one my whole life of 32 years.
Well I wouldn't want to allow you to think that miracles don't exist in reality because then you are saying that I was out of touch with reality when I saw her leg grow. That isn't true because several people witnessed the same miracle. 32 years isn't long either. It might seem long to you but it's not even a blip on the scale of a universe like ours, and the closer you get to the end of the next 32 years, the more you will realize this and appreciate it. Tell me though, for anyone to suddenly begin praying and believing in Jesus, why do you not consider that a miracle? Is it something that you believe you are capable of doing without the power of God?
Without proof, I can only reason that every claim of truth, by every religious founder, is false. THat includes Jesus. Let me ask you, why do you deny Mohammed's claim of truth? Why do you deny Buddha's claim of truth? Answer that, and you'll understand why I deny Jesus's.
I don't deny Mohammad's claim of truth, I deny that the angel who visited him was truthful. The reason for this is because I believe that all of God's people have been honest, and when you compare what the Qu'ran says to what the bible says, there is a serious inconsistency.

As for Buddhism being truth, I can't hold a proper opinion about that because it has never made much sense to me. Most of what Buddhist's say are generally just fancy words that sound grandeur, and because of this it portrays itself as wisdom. It simply doesn't impress me.

EVeryone on the side of truth listens to me. I'm going to have to call that false. POssibly, I can even demonstrate it. If I can prove this, would it change your mind?
I doubt you could compete with The Holy Spirit, but go ahead if you want to try. At the very least we would reach a stalemate, but potentially we stand to learn something new together.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.