My wife and I are having a lot of issues...

M

MessianicMommy

Seleen, at least your pastor was honest that he can't offer counseling. Many are not equipped and are not up front about that, because people expect pastors to counsel.

Depending on where you are financially, your state has to offer low income mental health options. I don't remember all the particulars, but I know you can ask about personal counseling - and they can give you info on whether or not marital counseling is offered by your local county mental health offices or not, and whether there is pay involved and how much.

I understand what it's like to not even have two pennies to rub together.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unless they can be gotten for free, those books are out of my reach.

I can really, really relate to having no extra cash. I've been in grad school since 2007. If you can find the world used book site that does comparative searches or just look on Alibris and Abebooks, you might be able to pick each of these titles up for a few bucks plus shipping. So maybe $12 to $20 for both.

This woman has some really good, in-depth lessons on YouTube for how to be a godly wife: <http://www.youtube.com/user/thesubmissivewoman>. I mean video after video on a wide variety of topics.

I know of some one-off videos for husbands on YouTube. Here is one by Voddie Baucham <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx86u7o1k-Q>. Here are some by a Vlogger
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR2N1I89L8Y&list=UUPboS5ye6A8tZGwU8dlhRjw&index=4&feature=plcp>
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlRKiWmYmN0&list=UUPboS5ye6A8tZGwU8dlhRjw&index=1&feature=plcp>

There are more on his channel. There are actually a lot of Christian videos on YouTube that you can access for free if you want to go that route.

I haven't listened to these Tony Evans videos yet, but I heard him preach a good message on the topic on TV once. Each of these is a first of a series. You can look up the other videos.

Role of the Husband in the Home--Pt 1
The Role of the Husband in the Home Part 1 - YouTube

The Portrait of a Godly Woman--Pt 1
The Portrait of a Godly Woman Part 1 of 4 - YouTube

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unless they can be gotten for free, those books are out of my reach.

I can really, really relate to having no extra cash. I've been in grad school since 2007. If you can find the world used book site that does comparative searches or just look on Alibris and Abebooks, you might be able to pick each of these titles up for a few bucks plus shipping. So maybe $12 to $20 for both.

This woman has some really good, in-depth lessons on YouTube for how to be a godly wife:
<http://www.youtube.com/user/thesubmissivewoman>

. I mean video after video on a wide variety of topics.

I know of some one-off videos for husbands on YouTube.

Here are some by a Vlogger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR2N1I89L8Y&list=UUPboS5ye6A8tZGwU8dlhRjw&index=4&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlRKiWmYmN0&list=UUPboS5ye6A8tZGwU8dlhRjw&index=1&feature=plcp

There are more on his channel. There are actually a lot of Christian videos on YouTube that you can access for free if you want to go that route.

I haven't listened to these Tony Evans videos yet, but I heard him preach a good message on the topic on TV once. Each of these is a first of a series. You can look up the other videos.

Here is one by Voddie Baucham and two from Tony Evans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx86u7o1k-Q

The Role of the Husband in the Home Part 1 - YouTube

The Portrait of a Godly Woman Part 1 of 4 - YouTube

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by sdmsanjose
Dobson&#8217;s sample letter to the spouse that feels trapped and wants out

The sample letter and thoughts in blue below is the best letter that I have ever seen in regards to a spouse that just is determined that they are trapped and want out

The words in black are from Dr. Dobson&#8217;s book, Love Must Be Tough, Hope for a marriage in crises&#8221;

Let the Trapped Partner Out

Hope for dying marriages is likely to be found in the reconstruction of respect between warring husbands and wives.

Opening the Cage Door
Perhaps it is now apparent where the present line of reasoning is leading us. If there is hope for dying marriages, and I certainly believe there is, then it is likely to be found in the reconstruction of respect between warring husbands and wives. That requires the vulnerable spouse to open the cage door and let the trapped partner out! All the techniques of containment must end immediately, including manipulative grief, anger, guilt and appeasement. Begging, pleading, crying, hand-wringing and playing the role of the doormat are equally destructive.

There may be a time and place for strong feelings to be expressed, and there may be an occasion for quiet tolerance. But these responses must not be used as persuasive devices to hold the drifting partner against his or her will.

"John [or Diane], I've been through some very tough moments since you decided to leave, as you know. My love for you is so profound that I just couldn't face the possibility of life without you. To a person like me, who expected to marry only once and to remain committed for life, it is a severe shock to see our relationship begin to unravel. Nevertheless, I have done some intense soul-searching, and I now realize that I have been attempting to hold you against your will. That simply can't be done.

As I reflect on our courtship and early years together, I'm reminded that you married me of your own free choice. I did not blackmail you or twist your arm or offer you a bribe. It was a decision you made without pressure from me. Now you say you want out of the marriage, and obviously, I have to let you go. I'm aware that I can no more force you to stay today than I could have made you marry me in 1989 [or whenever]. You are free to go. If you never call me again, then I will accept your decision.

I admit that this entire experience has been painful, but I'm going to make it. The Lord has been with me thus far and He'll go with me in the future. You and I had some wonderful times together, John. You were my first real love and I'll never forget the memories that we shared. I will pray for you and trust that God will guide you in the years ahead."

Exerpt originally taken from James Dobson's book, Love Must Be Tough (copyright © 1983, 2007 by James Dobson, Inc.), published by Tyndale House Publishers.

Reply by Seelene6
So your advice is I should let her leave and divorce me?

Really? I thought this was a Christian forum.

First the advice that I gave you was not from me but from the most famous and successful Christian counselor in America. Have you not heard of Dr. James Dobson? The book that I quoted from was
Love Must Be Tough, Hope for a marriage in crises&#8221;

The section had the heading of
Let the Trapped Partner Out

Hope for dying marriages is likely to be found in the reconstruction of respect between warring husbands and wives.
I hope you noticed the word HOPE

I also hope that you considered Dr. Dobson&#8217;s words of
If there is hope for dying marriages, and I certainly believe there is, then it is likely to be found in the reconstruction of respect between warring husbands and wives. That requires the vulnerable spouse to open the cage door and let the trapped partner out! All the techniques of containment must end immediately, including manipulative grief, anger, guilt and appeasement. Begging, pleading, crying, hand-wringing and playing the role of the doormat are equally destructive.

It is obvious that your wife has lost some respect for you because you said:
"She wants to be able to go out seven days a week with her friends, not do anything in the home and rely on me to do everything including supporting her."

The reconstruction of respect is a must for improving marriages. I do hope that you will consider reading the WHOLE book of LOVE MUST BE TOUGH, HOPE FOR A MARRIAGE IN CRISES.

I can understand your desperation to change your wife&#8217;s mind but your methods so far do not seem to be doing much good. I say this based on your words reprinted below:

Quotes of Seleene6:
she wants out of the marriage
She wants a divorce and tells me so every time that we argue.

I had asked her the other night if she wanted this marriage to work and she told me no, this was actually not an argument, but us discussing things. She said she is tired of this marriage and just wants to go back to being single, that it was a mistake that we got married, and one that she wishes she could go back in time and correct

She says it isn't what she thought it would be, so she would rather be single again and come and go as she pleases without worrying that there is a husband at home.

She just wants to be single.

I hope that you will consider the advice in the Dobson book. It appears that you took offense to Dobson&#8217;s advice without careful examination.

Maybe after your careful examination of the book you will find that it is not the method for you. However, I would encourage you to a least give it a chance by giving it some in depth thought without thinking that the book is not a Christian based book.

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

I ordered a copy of "The Excellent Wife" and a copy of "The Exemplary Husband". We got really busy after they arrived and haven't gone through them all yet. What I've read of both scanning through looks pretty good.

Some of it is stuff we've already put into practice that really did help our marriage a lot.

I have read through them both thoroughly. I am guessing you will have some issues with them, but enjoy the reading.

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
unfortunately a significant part of modern christianity was full of inconsistencies so far, in addition to inconsistencies between the different christian denominations, the problem comes mainly in the lack of enough love for the other, and this love (whereof we are testifying about now) is the good attitude/treatment towards the other people, and when it comes to religion, we can instantly start with the issue about the medium in the relevant denomination(-s), because the views and behaviour depend on all factors therein i.e. in the religion, the spirit(-ual) is in the base of all things in the universe, so, not that the unbelief, but namely the spiritual/religious activity can rule (the things of) the world, as it is written:

1 John 4:1-11 "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets(ie unrighteous/misleading clerics/spiritual servants) are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh(ie that the Lord Himself has come to save the body, not only the soul) is not of God: and this is that |spirit| of antichrist(ie spirit of "devil/beast" i.e. of unrighteous/bad spiritual/religious activity), whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error. Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son |to be| the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.",

James 3:3-6 "Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body. Behold also the ships, which though |they be| so great, and |are| driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. Even so the tongue(ie the human faith) is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth(ie how little fire kindles great matter)! And the tongue(ie and the human faith) |is| a fire, a world of(ie the base of all) iniquity: so is the tongue(ie the human faith) among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell."

so, the best possible decision in this respect is very important i.e. where or how to believe, besides in who or what

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
unfortunately a significant part of modern christianity was full of inconsistencies so far, in addition to inconsistencies between the different christian denominations, the problem comes mainly in the lack of enough love for the other, and this love (whereof we are testifying about now) is the good attitude/treatment towards the other people, and when it comes to religion, we can instantly start with the issue about the medium in the relevant denomination(-s), because the views and behaviour depend on all factors therein i.e. in the religion, the spirit(-ual) is in the base of all things in the universe, so, not that the unbelief, but namely the spiritual/religious activity can rule (the things of) the world, as it is written:

so, the best possible decision in this respect is very important i.e. where or how to believe, besides in who or what

Blessings

:confused::confused::confused:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Seleene6

Jun 4, 2011
✟7,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Had another blow out yesterday.

This time towards the end she told me that there is too much hurt in this marriage and she doesn't want to be a part of it anymore.

I keep telling her that we can have a happy marriage and be happy together, but she keeps saying she doesn't want to be happy with me anymore, that she just wants the marriage to end. That there has been too much fighting and she doesn't care for me or the marriage anymore. That the only one that will make her happy is herself. That she is happiest when she is single.

Upvote 0

dan311204

Aug 5, 2012
✟7,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This time towards the end she told me that there is too much hurt in this marriage and she doesn't want to be a part of it anymore.

I keep telling her that we can have a happy marriage and be happy together, but she keeps saying she doesn't want to be happy with me anymore, that she just wants the marriage to end. That there has been too much fighting and she doesn't care for me or the marriage anymore. That the only one that will make her happy is herself. That she is happiest when she is single.

I just found this forum thread. I was searching for a place to share my story on this forum and ask for help but I see you have already wrote most of what I had to say and I found it without searching it intentionally. I think God has sent me here and I was amazed to see how God gave me a sign in such a hard time. I prayed to God to guide me, help me find guidance and help - and I didn't expect Him to give me an answer and send me directly to this post.

I can totally understand what you're going through and I know how it feels the heartache and pain. I'm praying to God each day and night to raise this and make me strong to get through this.

So, how are things now? Did things improve since?
If you're still in need with the books, I could give you access to my account and you could read there the "Love must be tough" book. I know it's a bit incorrect toward the book author which needs to sell them to people, but I know this might help you and towards God this is a right thing to do if you only use the book for yourself. Please tell me if you want access to it and I'll send you privately the ID and password.

To tell you about my situation, maybe it helps, I've continuously prayed to God, and there were many signs from Him that my wife and I should be together: one day we went to church and prayed and right after, in the metro a 25 year married couple was sitting by chance in front of us and they just started talking about the 7 years itch without we having asked anything; also, one of our friends knew a person with psychic abilities that was coming very rare to him and that happened just in the day we visited our friend(he is in a different country and we can go there also very rare - also, we wanted to leave just before that person came , but the phone battery went dead, we couldn't talk to the next friend we wanted to visit that day, it started raining and so we were destined to meet the psychic person whom talked to us and he made my wife think that we are destined to be together - before that she removed her wedding ring from her hand but after the night with the psychic person she put it back and now we still have our wedding rings on. Also, all our friends are telling us that we should remain together.

In despite all this, she tells me that even if logic, God and all our friends say we should be together, she still has this desire to do her own way, to think about the work colleague she has dreamed about in the past few months.
She thinks that God's will is unfair, that she wants to do her own will, she wants to be able to decide for herself.

In the past time I prayed a lot to God to give me strength and power to "seem" unaffected by the situation, so that I feel totally confident in God and that He will help me be able to live with this and go on with confidence. Last night I came happy from work, I was feeling this confidence that God only has given to me and I can't thank Him enough for what He's done for me and how much He helped.
In the past days it was our wedding anniversary and I thought even with our present situation, I don't want to let it slip away without leaving something nice behind. So I went out, bought a couple of roses, a bottle of wine, a nice box of chocolate. Then I carefully placed the petals of the roses over the room to create a very romantic and nice atmosphere. I left some massage oil on the stairs and a rose petal path leading to it and the bottle of wine and chocolate. I thought that even if I wasn't going to ask for more from my wife, I just hoped that a nice massage or at least a nice dinner will perhaps bring us a bit closer together. But it didn't, because my wife said that she is emotionally unprepared for this and she wanted a normal dinner, without eating anything from what I had prepared. It was no problem, I tried to understand although I felt bad at the moment.

A few days after, my wife was perhaps impressed by my attitude from the past time, that she said to me that she wants to get away from her work colleague, to find a way to be with me and to forget about him.
But in that moment, my first reaction was to apply "loving toughness" and I said to her that in the past few days I've been thinking about getting a new apartment, that I think she is now in a state of "sevrage" and I don't think that I could trust her current attitude to remain the same. Also, I tried to explain to her the concept of "loving toughness", that if I love her, I must be hard on her doing whatever she wants and think whatever she wants, I must not allow her to do these things without any consequence.
She told me that maybe she deserves this, that maybe I should go on and take a new apartment.

The next day, after praying again to God, I thought that maybe I was too tough on her, and I tried to tell her that maybe I should have listened to all she had to say about her plan to get away from her work colleague. I thought about the "forgive our sins as we do forgive our sinners" and it made me give another chance to my wife, be understanding and kind. But this only made her back away more, she didn't recognize anymore what she had told me yesterday, she told me I misunderstood her. She was very distant, but at the same time she was crying. I just can't stand this because I know at heart she is a very good and loving person that just had lost her way at the moment - and this is because I lost my self-respect to her, like in the "love must be tough" book. She loved me like no one else could do, and before marriage, we both had been in a moment when we cried to God to help us find a soulmate that could love back just the way we could. God has given us just that - and it happened in a similar miraculous way.

We now live in a foreign country for about 1 year, we have jobs here and we pay a lot of money for an apartment we stay in. I know I have spoken my mind out to her about getting a new apartment for myself, but I just don't know what is best for me to do.

In any case, I hope it helps you or any others here to see just another "love must be tough" situation out there in this world full of games played with our hearts. This leads me back to God and I know that only in Him we can totally trust(although until now I was having the impression that my wife was the one I could trust with all my heart).
I have an uttermost confidence in myself and in God, my Father and my Sun. I strongly believe that praying persistently and continuously to Him and with His help, I can achieve anything and everything will be turn out according to His Holy plan to which I totally embrace.

I hope everything will be all right for you and besides anything you read or hear, do not forget to trust and pray to God with all your heart and soul.

I wish you'll be able to get back with your wife and that what I wrote might help you in any way!

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

Is she a christian? I don't think single life is going to be all she thinks it will be. She's not the same person she was when she was single. She can't undo her experiences. I think a start would be for you to read a good book that deals with your end of it, and for her to read a book that deals with her end of it. She really needs someone to tell her that just walking out and wanting to be single, without at least trying to save the marriage, isn't going to make her happy. She will have many regrets once the dust has settled. Now, if there has been something extreme going on, like an affair, then she may just not be able to get past it. Hopefully she has not had an affair. But all you can do, is seek God, and work on your side of it, while praying that God will speak to her, or bring someone into her life9female) that she will listen to, and will guide her to seeking the Lord, and at least working on her marriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dan311204

Aug 5, 2012
✟7,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is she a christian? I don't think single life is going to be all she thinks it will be. She's not the same person she was when she was single. She can't undo her experiences. I think a start would be for you to read a good book that deals with your end of it, and for her to read a book that deals with her end of it. She really needs someone to tell her that just walking out and wanting to be single, without at least trying to save the marriage, isn't going to make her happy. She will have many regrets once the dust has settled. Now, if there has been something extreme going on, like an affair, then she may just not be able to get past it. Hopefully she has not had an affair. But all you can do, is seek God, and work on your side of it, while praying that God will speak to her, or bring someone into her life9female) that she will listen to, and will guide her to seeking the Lord, and at least working on her marriage.

I just saw your post and I find very interesting the approach to give her a book to read as well.
Could you please recommend such a book? I don't know any good books.
Thank you!

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

I just saw your post and I find very interesting the approach to give her a book to read as well.
Could you please recommend such a book? I don't know any good books.
Thank you!

Two come to mind. One is Power of a Praying Wife, by Stormie Omartian, and the other is Sacred Influence, by Gary Thomas. If she is not wanting to do it God's way though, she may not be interested in reading these books. That's why I suggested prayer first. If both read books that can help them draw near to God, and refocus their attitudes towards pleasing God, and wanting to love their mates, then there would be a good starting place for some kind of counseling. I know around here anyway, there are counselors who operate only with donations.

Upvote 0

dan311204

Aug 5, 2012
✟7,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Two come to mind. One is Power of a Praying Wife, by Stormie Omartian, and the other is Sacred Influence, by Gary Thomas. If she is not wanting to do it God's way though, she may not be interested in reading these books. That's why I suggested prayer first. If both read books that can help them draw near to God, and refocus their attitudes towards pleasing God, and wanting to love their mates, then there would be a good starting place for some kind of counseling. I know around here anyway, there are counselors who operate only with donations.

Thank you so much for the books! I will recommend them to my wife and put my faith in God and trust His will on what will happen next.

About the counselors, is it possible to do a skype conference? We're living in Belgium, so it would be easiest to do it this way.

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

Thank you so much for the books! I will recommend them to my wife and put my faith in God and trust His will on what will happen next.

About the counselors, is it possible to do a skype conference? We're living in Belgium, so it would be easiest to do it this way.
I don't know why not. There are counselors who do online counseling as well.

Upvote 0

ParentofChildren

Wanderer
Nov 4, 2006
✟9,005.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is something we simply cannot afford at this time.

If it comes to your city they often have scholarships. It was a very important piece to our marraige foundation. There are also churches that run marraige restoration programs.

Upvote 0