Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
One thing that is becoming more and more clear to me is that Jesus loves us who we are, and that even while we were yet sinners, He loved us and gave Himself for us. So if He gave Himself for us while we were yet His enemies, how much more does He love us now that we are His friends?

What this means is that we don't have to prove ourselves to anyone. I wish I had learned that a long time ago, then I wouldn't have allowed myself to be dominated by a series of "mentors" who thought it was their mission to "disciple" me into their mold of who a Christian should be. When God revealed Himself to me by His Spirit in 1969, I asked Him, "How do I become a real Christian?" His answer was, "Just be yourself. Don't try to be someone you are not." The problem was that I couldn't get free of the demands and criticism of my "mentors" in the church. I believe that this stunted my walk with Christ and limited my potential as a believer.

Once when I asserted my right to be who I wanted to be instead of complying with that person's ideal, I was accused of being "rebellious" and "not part of the bride of Christ." I think I was misled by the seeming success of other believers, where I seemed to have many faults and shortcomings. Now I realise that their so called "success" and "power in the Spirt" was all an act, and those people has just as many faults and shortcomings as I did.

My first wife was a controlling person who tried to change me into what her ideal husband should have been. She failed. Her error was that she didn't realise that Jesus loved and accepted me as I was. After all, He told me that if He didn't like aspects of me, He would change me. The actual changes I did make were that my faith and confidence was strengthened in Him to the point where I was able to ditch my so-called mentors and put my trust in Christ alone. I found that my fellowship with Him became more joyful and meaningful, and I found fellowship with other believers who did accept me with all my unique idiosyncrasies.

I have an idiotic sense of humour, because life is so serious that we shouldn't take it seriously. I was told off once for putting jokes in the church bulletin. When I left the jokes out, people just threw the bulletin in the rubbish as they left the church. In my present church where I do put jokes, funny cartoons and pictures, and inspirational articles, they take the bulletins home.

Last Sunday, I took the communion in the service. I told the people that this should be a joyous occasion, full of fun and laughter, not a dour, solemn occasion. Why? Because Jesus died for us on the Cross and took the whole penalty for our sins and set us free for the power of it. This is an occasion for rejoicing and joy, and taking part in the communion should not be like being at the dentist.

I think that it is criminal for a Christian sister to be called a Jezebel just because she wants to walk her own path in Christ and not have to comply with demands from controlling pastors and church elders. Pastors and elders who do that to female believers are not Christian in my view. They are hypocrites and unless they repent and allow male and female believers to be who they are without subjecting them to control and what I would call spiritual threatening and abuse, they will find themselves in deep trouble at the Judgment. Jesus may very well say to them, "I never knew you. Depart from Me, you workers of iniquity!"

My first wife broke her marriage vow and walked out of our marriage after eight years, because she gave up trying to change me into what she wanted me to me. After seven years, I married again to a wife who did accept me, faults and all, and we have been happily married for 33 years now, and although she doesn't see eye to eye with me theologically, she has never hindered my ministry for the Lord.

Reminds me of the "karen" who objected to my friend parking his car where she wanted to park. She berated him and said, "I will make your life hell on earth!" He replied, "Sorry I don't need a relationship with you right now."