Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As you know I am deeply concerned about the poor, especially the drain they have on the rest of us. So here is my solution.

Pay them enough to lift them above the poverty level. Just write a check. This will save taxpayers $billions and effectively end poverty. It makes no sense to award a poor family tens of thousands in free benefits when a few thousand in cash will raise them above the nominal poverty level.

You're welcome.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Where does the money come from since America is already 21 Trillion in debt?

Being in (long-term) debt doesn't mean we have no money. Most of the debt isn't due for many years, SS for example. By spending less on the poor, mainly by eliminating agencies and bureaucracies, we can actually retire debt faster.

Upvote 0

Second Coming

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
✟10,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being in (long-term) debt doesn't mean we have no money. Most of the debt isn't due for many years, SS for example. By spending less on the poor, mainly by eliminating agencies and bureaucracies, we can actually retire debt faster.

What makes you believe that we would be spending less?

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Where does the money come from since America is already 21 Trillion in debt?
I am for helping the poor more than most folks on Christian Forums, but the U.S. is in a very bad fiscal situation. Sooner or later, taxes will have to be raised or programs will have to be cut. The Federal Deficit cannot keep going up at this rate much longer.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟486,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Pay them enough to lift them above the poverty level. Just write a check. This will save taxpayers $billions and effectively end poverty. It makes no sense to award a poor family tens of thousands in free benefits when a few thousand in cash will raise them above the nominal poverty level.

When you just start writing checks people quickly get the idea it's easier to pick up a check than go to work.

I'd like to see the check dependent on working a 40 hour a week job. The government could create a labor force used to clean streets, maintain roads, assist in construction of infrastructure, child care, school support staff, etc. Anyone who wants a job can have one.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
When you just start writing checks people quickly get the idea it's easier to pick up a check than go to work.

I'd like to see the check dependent on working a 40 hour a week job. The government could create a labor force used to clean streets, maintain roads, assist in construction of infrastructure, child care, school support staff, etc. Anyone who wants a job can have one.
Yes, we could bring back the Works Progress Administration, the old WPA from the Depression era. I am sure that some form of work could be found for just about everyone.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

That raises the cost by the creation of new agencies and bureaucracies. Better to use the taxes saved for such projects and employing the poor through contracts with the private sector.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What makes you believe that we would be spending less?

"The United States has dramatically increased federal spending fighting poverty over the last 50 years. Total welfare costs have risen from $1,437 per person in poverty in 1967 to $18,369 per person in 2017. That totals $73,475 for a family of four even though the Poverty Threshold for such a family is $25,094."

https://federalsafetynet.com/poverty-and-spending-over-the-years.html

In such a case it would be cheaper to write a check for $26,000 rather than the $73,475 now being spent (which goes mostly to the government agencies and bureaucracy).

These figures don't including spending by the States and by private organizations. We have made an industry out of 'helping' the poor by collecting huge sums of money for ourselves and giving a pittance to the poor that we supposedly represent. The poor are the goose that lays the golden eggs.

And that's why, in America, "the poor will always be with you".

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Second Coming
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As you know I am deeply concerned about the poor, especially the drain they have on the rest of us. So here is my solution.

You're welcome.
Matthew 26:11
For you always have the poor with you; but you do not always have Me

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Matthew 26:11
For you always have the poor with you; but you do not always have Me

We can't eliminate the poor from among us, but we can eliminate poverty (impoverishment). Jesus knew he wasn't contributing to the impoverishment of the poor by allowing the ointment to be used on himself. Even my plan doesn't eliminate the poor from among us, but it does lift them out of poverty (impoverishment).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Nixon tried getting a negative income tax, which was essentially that. They couldn't come up with a formula that wouldn't incentivize some set of people to not work.

It's an interesting idea. There's increasing interest now in the form of a guaranteed minimum income. A few experiments are being done, and it may actually be in effect in a couple of places. Guaranteed minimum income - Wikipedia. There's a related concept, basic income, Basic income - Wikipedia. There are also some experiments being done with that, and a couple of places with something close.

The weaknesses are (1) a lot of people need more than money. They need education, mental health support, etc., (2) it's hard to come up with funding.

But it's certainly worth rethinking the current system. Unfortunately it's hard to have rational, evidence-based discussions in today's world.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: HaileyM
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We can't eliminate the poor from among us, but we can eliminate poverty (impoverishment). Jesus knew he wasn't contributing to the impoverishment of the poor by allowing the ointment to be used on himself. Even my plan doesn't eliminate the poor from among us, but it does lift them out of poverty (impoverishment).
?????????

Poor = in poverty.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But it's certainly worth rethinking the current system. Unfortunately it's hard to have rational, evidence-based discussions in today's world.

You got that right.

Upvote 0