Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
?????????

Poor = in poverty.

That's one of the problems; conflating being poor with being impoverished. It's part of the confusion of the times.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I work for a retailer who tends to serve the poor, addicted, and uneducated. After years of watching poor folks buy stuff and stay poor, I can say that housing is too expensive, and folks desperately need to budget.

If rent on apartments and houses didn't go over $400 a month, and folks would budget and live a bit simpler, America's poverty problem would likely be less of a problem.

• Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How I see it from living in the third world is poverty is a mind set .Just more gov programs won't work we have to educate people on how to multiply their talents as Jesus taught . They are now burying their talents in the ground .We also need to educate people that the elites behind the mega corporations will do anything for a profit by taking jobs overseas for cheapest labor.Thereby taking away jobs that the less skilled used to do .Just like today we see with GM who made the company ? Americans did the 30 yr workers , loyal customers so there should be laws that they can't take the jobs overseas just to make more profits so the CEO and a few can make tens of millions a year in salary .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Milton Friedman actually had a very interesting idea with his "Negative income tax" which resembles a UBI (universal basic income).

Poor people need money, poor people will get money from the government.

Knowing these two unchangeable truths (I know there are people fighting for cutting all entitlement spending...that's never gonna happen...nobody is going to stand for living in a society that resembles the depression era), it makes more sense just to cut them a check directly, rather than prop up agencies (and all of their associated costs) to act as the proxy in cutting them the check.

Or a simpler way to put it:
It's cheaper for me to give a poor person $500, than it is to pay someone $250 to give a poor person my $500.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Milton Friedman actually had a very interesting idea with his "Negative income tax" which resembles a UBI (universal basic income).

Poor people need money, poor people will get money from the government.

Knowing these two unchangeable truths (I know there are people fighting for cutting all entitlement spending...that's never gonna happen...nobody is going to stand for living in a society that resembles the depression era), it makes more sense just to cut them a check directly, rather than prop up agencies (and all of their associated costs) to act as the proxy in cutting them the check.

Or a simpler way to put it:
It's cheaper for me to give a poor person $500, than it is to pay someone $250 to give a poor person my $500.

But what about all those high paid government social program workers now out of a job?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
As you know I am deeply concerned about the poor, especially the drain they have on the rest of us. So here is my solution.
Where in Scripture is this idea written about? (to worry about the drain)

Pay them enough to lift them above the poverty level.
The government programs , according to the government workers, at least years ago, were planned to provide at most about fifty percent of the subsistence needed per familiy.
Social Security Disability at times frrquently for many has been one noxious notorious exception. So much fraud by doctors and lawyers it's not even funny. Same with insurance payments , often for decades. Accompanied with no training or obedience in what to do with the money, it has been a disaster propagating greed and covetousness for a century and more.

Just write a check. This will save taxpayers $billions and effectively end poverty. It makes no sense to award a poor family tens of thousands in free benefits when a few thousand in cash will raise them above the nominal poverty level.
This is already in place in some countries, and 'on trial' in some states and cities -
but it is called "common income" and is one puzzle piece of the great beast system put in place, quietly (or noisy) , subtly, deceiving all the people, even churches, into "going along" ....

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Where in Scripture is this idea written about? (to worry about the drain)

I speak as a citizen as well as a Christian.

The government programs , according to the government workers, at least years ago, were planned to provide at most about fifty percent of the subsistence needed per familiy.
Social Security Disability at times frrquently for many has been one noxious notorious exception. So much fraud by doctors and lawyers it's not even funny. Same with insurance payments , often for decades. Accompanied with no training or obedience in what to do with the money, it has been a disaster propagating greed and covetousness for a century and more.

And yet the opportunity exists for the poor to improve their situation.

This is already in place in some countries, and 'on trial' in some states and cities -
but it is called "common income" and is one puzzle piece of the great beast system put in place, quietly (or noisy) , subtly, deceiving all the people, even churches, into "going along" ....

It's 2019. How can people, in good conscience, continue to blame others for their situation (unless they have no conscience)?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I work for a retailer who tends to serve the poor, addicted, and uneducated. After years of watching poor folks buy stuff and stay poor, I can say that housing is too expensive, and folks desperately need to budget.

If rent on apartments and houses didn't go over $400 a month, and folks would budget and live a bit simpler, America's poverty problem would likely be less of a problem.

The general economy is like a wagon train heading for California; keep up, catch up, or be left behind.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
When you just start writing checks people quickly get the idea it's easier to pick up a check than go to work.

I'd like to see the check dependent on working a 40 hour a week job. The government could create a labor force used to clean streets, maintain roads, assist in construction of infrastructure, child care, school support staff, etc. Anyone who wants a job can have one.
I agree but what political party would have the intestinal fortitude to insist upon it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
And yet the opportunity exists for the poor to improve their situation.
And yet the cry of those oppressed are heard already by the Sovereign Almighty in Heaven,
Who is storing up wrath against all those who withhold the just wages and who harm/ oppress others, the cries of whom HE SAYS HE HEARS ALREADY! As Written.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It's 2019. How can people, in good conscience, continue to blame others for their situation (unless they have no conscience)?
Those who heed God's Word set other's free as they are able,
they do not condemn the poor without justice and without truth - they do not condemn anyone for that matter,
nor do they daily continue going along willing with the oppression 'without conscience' like the wicked do. (basically every corporation - no heart, no conscience, as known since the middle ages and worse today than every before;
everyone who silently sits back going along with this will suffer the same punishment/ wrath as those actively greedy suffer.)

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
How can a family of four, anywhere in America, survive on $25k?
"Bring up a child in the way they should go, and even when they are older they will not depart from it".

Jesus Word says to daily associate with the poor. (not to avoid them, obviously).

If you did, you would know.

There are many who "survive" on a lot less.

Back when I was in a family of four, we did well actually,
on much less than one thousand a month for years.

One thing though - it is necessary up front to repent of all kinds of greed, as well as any other sins present.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Back when I was in a family of four, we did well actually,

Times change. In most places, $25k will barely cover your accommodation, let alone food, clothing and other essentials for 4 people.

25k 20 years ago maybe. Now? Yikes.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How can a family of four, anywhere in America, survive on $25k?

They don't have to.

"Because Money Income does not include welfare benefits the Census Bureau measurement of poverty status is not a measurement of whether an individual or family is actually living in poverty. This is because welfare benefits boost most low-income Americans over the poverty threshold."

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No.

Either a citizen of Heaven, or not. Loving nothing besides HIM. Desiring nothing except HIM, as Written.

Soooo, we aren't supposed to love our neighbor? :scratch:

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Quality of life is irrelevant to most people that argue against welfare or universal healthcare. That much is very obvious now.

Most have their own definition of quality of life. Which one of the tens of millions are you referring to?

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0