A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟174,600.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Gap theory?
Beats me why anyone would bother debating which belief was the 'correct' one, (where both are based on a rather ambiguously worded book), and then propose a so-called gap 'theory' .. as opposed to addressing the elephant in the room, which is the ambiguity itself(?)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Beats me why anyone would bother debating which belief was the 'correct' one, (where both are based on a rather ambiguously worded book), and then propose a so-called gap 'theory' .. as opposed to addressing the elephant in the room, which is the ambiguity itself(?)
Go with the literal.

Everything else is just fiction.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,710.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Don't go x-ing a paragrab or you'll confuse yourself -- (unless that's your goal).

So the Bible should always be taken literally, unless you decide it's not to be taken literally, and then it doesn't give all the information/it's metaphorical/something else, so you can just pick and choose to avoid dealing with the contradictions created by your position.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So the Bible should always be taken literally, unless you decide it's not to be taken literally,
FYI, the Bible should be taken literally LONG before I was ever born, and LONG after I'm gone.
Kylie said:
... and then it doesn't give all the information/it's metaphorical/something else, so you can just pick and choose to avoid dealing with the contradictions created by your position.
I'm not the one confused, Kylie.

Remember back when you gave me a diagram of a three dimensional cube, with lines showing:
  1. up and down
  2. side to side
  3. in and out
... and wanted me to label them with FOUR dimensions?

I'm still shaking my head over that one.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,710.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
FYI, the Bible should be taken literally LONG before I was ever born, and LONG after I'm gone.

But what about in the here-and-now?

I'm not the one confused, Kylie.

Remember back when you gave me a diagram of a three dimensional cube, with lines showing:
  1. up and down
  2. side to side
  3. in and out
... and wanted me to label them with FOUR dimensions?

I'm still shaking my head over that one.

Don't blame me for that. YOU are the one who claimed that there were four different dimensions, and then when it came time to pout your money where you mouth is, ran back to the position that two of them were the same thing, just with different names. It's not my fault you can't back up your claims.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But what about in the here-and-now?
What about it?
Kylie said:
Don't blame me for that. YOU are the one who claimed that there were four different dimensions,
Ya -- Paul missed it by seven, didn't he?

Don't scientists claim there are eleven dimensions?
Kylie said:
... and then when it came time to put your money where you mouth is, ran back to the position that two of them were the same thing, just with different names.
I did no such thing.

See, Kylie.

This is what I mean when I say that when you guys fight this stuff tooth and nail, you end up confusing yourselves beyond understanding.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,710.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What about it?

It seems to me you are just leaving yourself an escape hatch sop that when you say, "The Bible should be taken literally," you can get out of it when a literal interpretation goes against what you believe.

Ya -- Paul missed it by seven, didn't he?

Don't scientists claim there are eleven dimensions?

So then even if you are correct, the Bible was still wrong, wasn't it?

I did no such thing.

Yes you did. In THIS post, you CLEARLY said that the dimension indicated by the Z arrow was width, AKA breadth.

See, Kylie.

This is what I mean when I say that when you guys fight this stuff tooth and nail, you end up confusing yourselves beyond understanding.

Seems to me that all it means is that you posted something nonsensical and then, when you are called out on it, you claim that you have some greater understanding of it that we poor feeble atheists just can't grasp.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seems to me that all it means is that you posted something nonsensical and then, when you are called out on it, you claim that you have some greater understanding of it that we poor feeble atheists just can't grasp.
Paul mentions four dimensions of space.

Deal with it in your own way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wasn't Paul talking about 4 dimensions of Love? That sounds mystical and not very literal.
Ephesians 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Ya, but he's using dimensions of space to do it.

Kinda like saying, "I have a ton of paperwork to do."

Even if it's not a literal 2000 pounds of paperwork, it's being emphasized by an existing unit of weight.

In other words, if tons didn't exist as units of weight, that statement wouldn't make any sense.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,710.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Then so is everyone else who mentions there are four (or more) dimensions of space.

Especially if they mention eleven!

If there are three dimensions of space, then Paul was wrong when he said there were four.

If there are eleven dimensions of space, then Paul was wrong when he said there were four.

If you want me to accept that Paul was right, then show me the evidence that there are four - no more, no less - dimensions of space.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,710.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Even if it's not a literal 2000 pounds of paperwork, it's being emphasized by an existing unit of weight.

In other words, if tons didn't exist as units of weight, that statement wouldn't make any sense.

So, AV, who said the Bible should be taken literally from long before his time to long after his time is now saying this part isn't literal, but metaphorical.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If there are three dimensions of space, then Paul was wrong when he said there were four.

If there are eleven dimensions of space, then Paul was wrong when he said there were four.

If you want me to accept that Paul was right, then show me the evidence that there are four - no more, no less - dimensions of space.
Once again, just so you won't understand further:

Paul mentions four dimensions of space.

I did not say Paul mentions THE four dimensions of space.

I said Paul mentions four dimensions of space.

(Not that it will make any difference to someone who is determined to think otherwise.)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Incidentally, Kylie, why aren't you trying to technokill this passage, when I mentioned it?

Isaiah 34:4a And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll:

How do you roll a three dimensional space up like a scroll without a fourth dimension to roll it into?

Let me guess.

Isaiah was wrong, wasn't he?

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟723,372.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others

I think Paul was talking more in a metaphysical sense of Love.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think Paul was talking more in a metaphysical sense of Love.
For the second time, he used real existing planes of existence to do it.

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.

But if there's no such a thing as a wall, then what Humpty Dumpty is doing won't make sense.

Upvote 0